Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

baltravensrj55

Ed Reed will play next year

128 posts in this topic

[quote name='BALTIMOREFLACCO' timestamp='1359048985' post='1329035']
Was hoping he'd retire if we win so we'd never have to see him in another uniform =\
[/quote]

I don't know if I was "hoping" he'd retire, but I definitely get that. I just really thought a guy could never go out better than winning a Super Bowl in his home town. I doubt any of us will be disappointed if he comes back a Raven, but it wouldn't break my heart if he changed as a result of finally getting his ring.

It's going to suck seeing him in another uniform. There's a very little chance we'll be able to afford him.

Did he say he'd be playing for us, as in they might have a deal agreed, or just he'd not retire? What was the exact wording?

[quote name='arnie_uk' timestamp='1359049366' post='1329050']
Did he say he'd be playing for us, as in they might have a deal agreed, or just he'd not retire? What was the exact wording?
[/quote]

"It's not my last ride. I just bought a bike."

[quote name='baltravensrj55' timestamp='1359048819' post='1329029']
He just said in his press conference he is going to play next year.
[/quote] I hope they lock him up with a 3 yr deal and he retires a Raven!!!!1 He richly deserves to retire a Raven!

He might be playing, but we still have to re-sign him and there is no guarantee that we even reach a deal that both parties are comfortable with.

[quote name='ellicottraven' timestamp='1359049605' post='1329061']
I hope they lock him up with a 3 yr deal and he retires a Raven!!!!1 He richly deserves to retire a Raven!
[/quote]

He's 34 with a bad injury history including nerve damage. It's time for him to hang up the pads. As amusing as it is to see people try to justify his poor play and unwillingness to tackle, we're much better off moving on from Reed. He doesn't have it anymore.

[quote name='rmw10' timestamp='1359049286' post='1329045']
It's going to suck seeing him in another uniform. There's a very little chance we'll be able to afford him.
[/quote]Ed reed is one of the best players in the NFL also if Ravens win the superbowl they can probaly afford him again

The fact that he acts as his own agent makes the whole situation more uneasy.

I would be more surprised if he is a Raven than a Patriot.

[quote name='rmw10' timestamp='1359049465' post='1329056']
"It's not my last ride. I just bought a bike."
[/quote]
Does this new bike make him faster, or increase his ability to complete tackles?

[quote name='terpsnation' timestamp='1359050297' post='1329082']
Does this new bike make him faster, or increase his ability to complete tackles?
[/quote]most likely a used, rusted bike bruh

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1359050954' post='1329099']
I think he's returning to Baltimore.
[/quote]

Agreed, we offered him a lot of money, and maybe he realizes the grass isn't greener. Hopefully he has had a heart to heart with Lew and was told to not "mess" with his legacy by playing for a different team.

Furthermore, it would be painful to lose both Lewis and Reed in the same off-season.

[quote name='Jordan2540' timestamp='1359050044' post='1329074']
Ed reed is one of the best players in the NFL also if Ravens win the superbowl they can probaly afford him again
[/quote]lmao what a ridiculous first post.

Ed reed was one of the best players on the nfl. He's not even one of the best safety's in the league anymore I could name probably five I'd rather have next season. And no a Super Bowl win haS no bearing on whether we can afford him or not.

We either can, or more likely cant afford him regardless of what happens next Sunday.

[quote name='arnie_uk' timestamp='1359051314' post='1329112']
lmao what a ridiculous first post.

Ed reed was one of the best players on the nfl. [b]He's not even one of the best safety's in the league anymore I could name probably five I'd rather have next season[/b]. And no a Super Bowl win haS no bearing on whether we can afford him or not.

We either can, or more likely cant afford him regardless of what happens next Sunday.
[/quote]

You got to be kidding me.

Please go ahead and name those 5 safety that are that much better than hof Ed Reed

It will be too painful to see him in another uniform. I don't care if he's not as good anymore, I want him on our team next year no matter what, which probably won't happen. :(

[quote name='Ravens<3' timestamp='1359052282' post='1329143']
It will be too painful to see him in another uniform. I don't care if he's not as good anymore, I want him on our team next year no matter what, which probably won't happen. :(
[/quote]

Yep. Ain't going to lie. I've always have had an epic man crush on Reed. This probably has/will cloud my judgement and ability to be objective in regards to Reed.

Now that I've soaked it in, I really think Ed Reed will be back in a Ravens uniform next year. I don't know how it's even possible, but I just have a feeling.

[quote name='PuRock' timestamp='1359052476' post='1329152']
Yep. Ain't going to lie. I've always have had an epic man crush on Reed. This probably has/will cloud my judgement and ability to be objective in regards to Reed.
[/quote]
If we win this thing I hope he reconsiders...I have no say in the matter, but if I was Ed, and had this marvelous career with only one team, I would go out in this fashion with the G.O.A.T. ILB.

It's hard to want that too because I don't want to see him gone!

[quote name='Ravenseconbeast' timestamp='1359052003' post='1329133']

You got to be kidding me.

Please go ahead and name those 5 safety that are that much better than hof Ed Reed
[/quote]

Dashon Goldson
Jairus Byrd
Earl Thomas
Eric weddle
Malcolm Jenkins

Guessing his list

[quote name='arnie_uk' timestamp='1359051314' post='1329112']
lmao what a ridiculous first post.

Ed reed was one of the best players on the nfl. He's not even one of the best safety's in the league anymore I could name probably five I'd rather have next season. And no a Super Bowl win haS no bearing on whether we can afford him or not.

[/quote]

Wow oh wow what an unpopular opinion you have there. Look I am all for going against the grain, and everyone being titled to their own opinion but can you possibly be joking here? Is there an iota of sarcasm that you could possibly redeem this post with?

For starters, there is only a HANDFUL of safeties even in the Hall of fame. Ed Reed has revolutionized the position. Before Ed was drafted by us safety wasn't considered to be a remote priority position in the draft. Since then we have seen safeties go in the top 5 because of the impact Reed has on transforming the position into a critical component of a top tier defense. The league is also trending into a passing league which has made the safety position even more critical as well.

Most pundits would still put Reed as he plays now into the top 5 if not at the top of the top 5.

Furthermore, its not like one of those other comparable safeties are Free Agents. So it's not like we can realisitically upgrade Reed with a Eric Berry or a Earl Thomas.

Lastly, is there a player on our roster or in the draft that is of Reed's caliber? I think not, and having Reed around a year or two more doesn't hurt our chances of grooming his replacement or scouting one out.

As an after-thought I am not big on ridiculing a first post. Is that really necessary? You had a first post too, and I am sure it was pure gold from the sound of it

[quote name='Ravens<3' timestamp='1359052871' post='1329168']

If we win this thing I hope he reconsiders...I have no say in the matter, but if I was Ed, and had this marvelous career with only one team, I would go out in this fashion with the G.O.A.T. ILB.

It's hard to want that too because I don't want to see him gone!
[/quote]
I don't think Reed needs to retire. I think he can return. Everyone says he will leave us and go to another team. I even heard it from the team or whatever. I ask why is that guaranteed? Nobody knows for sure. Between Williams & Reed, I would take Reed every time. I don't think Reed will be that expensive. His play has dropped recently. He must see it. But then again, he has played better now as a traditional safety.

I think he's back. I really do.

[quote name='Dudeman' timestamp='1359053201' post='1329175']

Wow oh wow what an unpopular opinion you have there. Look I am all for going against the grain, and everyone being titled to their own opinion but can you possibly be joking here? Is there an iota of sarcasm that you could possibly redeem this post with?

For starters, there is only a HANDFUL of safeties even in the Hall of fame. Ed Reed has revolutionized the position. Before Ed was drafted by us safety wasn't considered to be a remote priority position in the draft. Since then we have seen safeties go in the top 5 because of the impact Reed has on transforming the position into a critical component of a top tier defense. The league is also trending into a passing league which has made the safety position even more critical as well.

Most pundits would still put Reed as he plays now into the top 5 if not at the top of the top 5.

Furthermore, its not like one of those other comparable safeties are Free Agents. So it's not like we can realisitically upgrade Reed with a Eric Berry or a Earl Thomas.

Lastly, is there a player on our roster or in the draft that is of Reed's caliber? I think not, and having Reed around a year or two more doesn't hurt our chances of grooming his replacement or scouting one out.
[/quote]
Regarding your last point, Byrd is a free agent if I recall correctly. He's a very good safety. He might be better than Ed Reed right now in terms of comparables. The only area Reed is definitely superior is intelligence. Reed is truly in his own category in that regard.

I think he returns, though. Too many safeties in free agency. I think that with his play drop his value.