15 replies to this topic

#1 DMH_in_WA

DMH_in_WA

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

Let me see if I get this. Brady slides into another player with leg high, spikes up and kicks him ... that's okay.

Frank Gore wears his socks "too low" ... unacceptable! $10,500 fine.

Whatever. If I was Gore, I'd pay the fine in pennies.

http://profootballta...form-violation/

OzzieTrust.jpg

#2 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,317 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

This is really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really really, really, really, really, really, really, really stupid.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#3 BALTIMOREFLACCO

BALTIMOREFLACCO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,720 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

Doesn't the NFL have more important things to worry about? Maybe like fixing the broken penalty system? Nah let's fine people for their socks.

23mn1x.jpg

Thank god I was born a Texas Longhorn

Whiskey Sour GM

#4 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

Than can Coach BB in New England be fined for dressing like a bumb on the sidelines?

z66oxxi.jpg

#5 Moderator 3

Moderator 3

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Let me see if I get this. Brady slides into another player with leg high, spikes up and kicks him ... that's okay.

Frank Gore wears his socks "too low" ... unacceptable! $10,500 fine.

Whatever. If I was Gore, I'd pay the fine in pennies.

http://profootballta...form-violation/

Brady got fined, but "only" $10,000. Apparently a socks malfunction is worse that spiking someone.
15fqib6.jpg

#6 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

Bunch of hypocrites, declaring about player's safety but fine the one wearing socks but not the one kicking someone's crotch....What the heck????
2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#7 DMH_in_WA

DMH_in_WA

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

Brady got fined, but "only" $10,000. Apparently a socks malfunction is worse that spiking someone.

Just read that story. So, yea .. not exactly equal on that whole scale of justice.

Everyone With Common Sense: You fined the guy $500 more than the guy who could have ended someone's season.
Goddel: Yea, but those socks looked -really- bad ... I mean, -really-.

OzzieTrust.jpg

#8 MissK528

MissK528

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

Than can Coach BB in New England be fined for dressing like a bumb on the sidelines?

This all over. Frank Gore's sock length is so offensive he has to pay for it, but Belichick looks like he literally just rolled out of bed.

#9 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

Does anyone actually believe he was fined because of a fashion statement?

They don't just make up stupid ways to fine people for money. Uniforms have a code for various reasons. If you're trying to tackle Gore, you're going to aim for his legs. And if nobody has socks on, for example, you can't tell which team he's on. You can't only wear one sock either. And you can't wear different colored socks. If you could, then you might ask why players can't wear different colored pants, or shirts. And the answer is obvious. They're uniforms for a reason. Sock length is just a boundary between acceptable and unacceptable uniform wear because a boundary has to exist regardless, and it's not too much to ask to tell a player to pull his socks up.

Sorry to sound like Mr. Policeman here, but the rules are put in place by people who know the game a lot better than the average fan. Ultimately it amounts to a guy being fined 10 grand for wearing his socks low, but it's all a product of things like injury risk and game management.

You can't be stupid enough to think they're just trying to find ways to screw Frank Gore, or Goodell has a sock fetish. It's not an ancient footnote that was put in the rulebooks as a bet 100 years ago. There's a legitimate reason for every type of fine or rule whether you agree with it or not.

Just thought I'd let you know... It does sound pretty strange when you take it out of context though.

#10 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

They don't just make up stupid ways to fine people for money. Uniforms have a code for various reasons. If you're trying to tackle Gore, you're going to aim for his legs. And if nobody has socks on, for example, you can't tell which team he's on. You can't only wear one sock either. And you can't wear different colored socks. If you could, then you might ask why players can't wear different colored pants, or shirts. And the answer is obvious. They're uniforms for a reason. Sock length is just a boundary between acceptable and unacceptable uniform wear because a boundary has to exist regardless, and it's not too much to ask to tell a player to pull his socks up.

Sorry to sound like Mr. Policeman here, but the rules are put in place by people who know the game a lot better than the average fan. Ultimately it amounts to a guy being fined 10 grand for wearing his socks low, but it's all a product of things like injury risk and game management.

You can't be stupid enough to think they're just trying to find ways to screw Frank Gore, or Goodell has a sock fetish. It's not an ancient footnote that was put in the rulebooks as a bet 100 years ago. There's a legitimate reason for every type of fine or rule whether you agree with it or not.

Just thought I'd let you know... It does sound pretty strange when you take it out of context though.

very few people think that it is a rule to screw Gore over. It just seems excessive, and a tad inconsistent

z66oxxi.jpg

#11 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

It's a freaking stupid rule to begin with. Really?! Fined for his sock length? It's ridiculous.

The part about not knowing what players are on which team because they're not wearing socks really gave me a chuckle, by the way. You're joking, right?

Edited by The Raven, 23 January 2013 - 11:43 PM.

#12 DMH_in_WA

DMH_in_WA

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:22 AM

We know why there are uniform rules. It's not that they fined him for having his socks too low. It's that they fined him $10,500 for having his socks too low. And at the time the article was released, they still hadn't fined Brady for what he did.

And now that they have fined him $10,000 for doing what he did, fining Frank Gore $500 more than that because his socks were too low becomes even more ludicrous.

OzzieTrust.jpg

#13 Moderator 3

Moderator 3

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

PLEASE understand that I am not defending the NFL's stupid system of fines, but it was explained to me that Gore's fine is high because he's a repeat offender and Brady's fine is low because it's a first offense.

Don't shoot the messenger.
15fqib6.jpg

#14 wikle

wikle

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

PLEASE understand that I am not defending the NFL's stupid system of fines, but it was explained to me that Gore's fine is high because he's a repeat offender and Brady's fine is low because it's a first offense.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Gore is a repeat wardrobe offender? ha I have no problem fining him, maybe like 5k for it but 10.5 seems like a lot for something as simple as forgetting to pull up his socks. It's not like he intentionally wore different colored shoes like some players have and got penalized for

#15 cursona pirate

cursona pirate

Pickle Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,676 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

Hahaha repeated wardrobe malfunctioned!

12540_520124434672144_755007992_n.jpg

Pitta Hut is now open! WE ALWAYS DELIVER.

#16 ravensflow

ravensflow

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Really stupid rule... but a rule is a rule.

His son called him out on it too haha. After the game in the post show, Frank and his kid came up to be interviewed. They had his son ask one questions and he asked his dad "why were your pants so low". Frank tried to ignore it.

I don't like how Frank and Crabtree were fined for throwing balls to the fans after TDs too.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users