20 replies to this topic

#1 BMORE_96

BMORE_96

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

This is here to compliment the 49ers d thread.

Wow, our d is Jekyll and Hyde. Kemo is actually getting off blocks. But then guys like Kruger have really good plays and really bad plays. This accounts for all our linebackers. The secondary has consistently played average or above since the bye besides rouge Ed reed gambles that lead to tds.

What befuddles me is the front 7. The most crucial part of the team against a running San Fran team. What is y'all's assessment of our d.

#2 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,491 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:17 AM

Our CBs are perfect for Moss and Crabtree. Our guys are PHYSICAL, which is a big reason why we shut CryBrady down, and will be a big factor against SFO as well.

Ellerbe will be Kaepernick's kryptonite, book it.

My only concern is whether or not our DL mans up against a pretty solid OL
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#3 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,830 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

Experienced D + Two First Ballot Hall of Famers+ Reiging Defensive Player of Year+ The Undisputed Best DT In The League+ The hardest hitting player in the NFL+ Freddy Kruger and Physical Corners + Going against Rookie QB= Ravens win vs 49er offense.

The way to beat the 69ers is to make Kap beat us with his arm. We should play Kap like we play big Ben.

#4 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,830 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

Our CBs are perfect for Moss and Crabtree. Our guys are PHYSICAL, which is a big reason why we shut CryBrady down, and will be a big factor against SFO as well.

Ellerbe will be Kaepernick's kryptonite, book it.

My only concern is whether or not our DL mans up against a pretty solid OL

Suggs will be. He had Staley's number last year

#5 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

Suggs will be. He had Staley's number last year

I think we all know suggs isn't 100%

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#6 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,483 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

I highly doubt we'll get 9 sacks again, especially with Kaepernick as QB. Crabtree vs Cary should be interesting. My biggest concern is stopping their running attack. Gore+James is so dangerous.

I think this game will be won and lost in the trenches. I'm liking our chances with the way our O-line has played in the playoffs.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#7 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,422 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

We need to be able to catch on to their schemes. Problem with Colin and their running game is that its really hard to see where the ball is going. Their O-linemans are huge. They are like walls, and 9ers have it easy to disguise the ball to trick defensive players going to the wrong position.

I feel like we will need to be able to read their scrambles. Pick up on little things about their habit and try to limit their running game. If we can shut Gore, LaMichael & Colin's run game, this game can get easy. To achieve that is probably is different story.

#8 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,491 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:11 AM

Seattle and STL (twice) had little trouble shutting down their offense. It's not rocket science -- and when SFO has played good defenses they have struggled to put points on the board (see the two losses and tie against above mentioned teams). Our defense is ON FIRE the last few weeks, giving up a total of 43 points combined to Luck, Manning and CryBrady. That's 14.3 points per game.

We just need to make some big plays on offense, and we should win this. Easier said than done, of course....but so was beating Denver and NE.
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#9 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,830 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:28 AM

Seattle and STL (twice) had little trouble shutting down their offense. It's not rocket science -- and when SFO has played good defenses they have struggled to put points on the board (see the two losses and tie against above mentioned teams). Our defense is ON FIRE the last few weeks, giving up a total of 43 points combined to Luck, Manning and CryBrady. That's 14.3 points per game.

We just need to make some big plays on offense, and we should win this. Easier said than done, of course....but so was beating Denver and NE.

Denver pass D scared the living crap out of me. And Flacco just DESTROYED them. This pass D is not NEARLY as good as DEN.

And can we please put to rest that Aldon Smith is the best pass rusher is all the NFL? That clearly belongs to JJ Watt and Von Miller. Many are saying that STL is no slouch of an Oline and the fact that the NFC is a stronger division means Smith is better. Oh, and without Justin Smith, Aldon has been nonexistent. Miller and Watt are both animals.

I'm not scared of Aldom. Oher has got him contained if he can contain the better pass rusher in Miller. The rest of that team could be a real problem.

Our D is facing the worst offense we have played yet, and to quote my pops

"All this pistol hype is utter BS. Kapernick is waaaaaaaaaay overrated and if I had to pick between him and Flacco, Flacco kicks his [profanity deleted] up and down the street".

Kapernicks hype is total crap. The way to beat the 49ers is to MAKE HIM THROW. We shut down Tom Brady in the second half, and that offense hasn't played a D of our caliber in the playoffs where Ray moves our rankings back into the top 10 with his motivation. This is where Zone coverage is effective. He will not be able to run the damn ball, if he goes near the zone, especially Pollards zone, he's gonna get killed. It would help if we had Webb, to take out Crabtree, but the way to bet the 49ers on offense is to make Kapernick throw and dare him to run. Send Pollard out there to kill him.

#10 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,413 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

I think our D is overachieving, but even though our best guys are gimpy we're relentless and mentally tough, with that said their offense and defense is equally tough but has been as inconsistent as ours.

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.

#11 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,156 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:59 AM

Denver pass D scared the living crap out of me. And Flacco just DESTROYED them. This pass D is not NEARLY as good as DEN.

And can we please put to rest that Aldon Smith is the best pass rusher is all the NFL? That clearly belongs to JJ Watt and Von Miller. Many are saying that STL is no slouch of an Oline and the fact that the NFC is a stronger division means Smith is better. Oh, and without Justin Smith, Aldon has been nonexistent. Miller and Watt are both animals.

I'm not scared of Aldom. Oher has got him contained if he can contain the better pass rusher in Miller. The rest of that team could be a real problem.

"All this pistol hype is utter BS. Kapernick is waaaaaaaaaay overrated and if I had to pick between him and Flacco, Flacco kicks his [profanity deleted] up and down the street".

Kapernicks hype is total crap. The way to beat the 49ers is to MAKE HIM THROW. We shut down Tom Brady in the second half, and that offense hasn't played a D of our caliber in the playoffs where Ray moves our rankings back into the top 10 with his motivation. This is where Zone coverage is effective. He will not be able to run the damn ball, if he goes near the zone, especially Pollards zone, he's gonna get killed. It would help if we had Webb, to take out Crabtree, but the way to bet the 49ers on offense is to make Kapernick throw and dare him to run. Send Pollard out there to kill him.

It's not all hype. The pistol with a QB like Kaep is a dangerous offense. I'm very concerned with how our defense will match up.

@gabefergy

#12 paramedic586

paramedic586

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:04 AM

hello all. I am a 49er fan and made an account to talk some football with everybody.

first off congratulations on making it to the superbowl. I am a huge Ray Lewis fan (favorite football player today) and would of rather played NE in the superbowl for obvious reasons lol. Anyways I think you guys are not giving Kaep enough credit. He is not a run first throw second QB. He is a legitimate threat when he stays in the pocket. He has great accuracy and a cannon of an arm.

lastly I dont think most give our secondary credit. The reason why QBs get so many passing yards against our defense is because usually teams cant run the ball on them. The 49ers secondary gave up only 3 plays of forty or more yards coming into the NFC championship. Our secondary strength is stopping WR and TE after the catch.

Again good luck in the superbowl and it is going to be close game. It will not be a blowout. The biggest advantage the 49ers have is that the pistol offense causes problems for defenses because we have 2 RB and a QB that are playing at an outstanding level. But if there is a defense that can contain them it is the Ravens defense.

#13 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,422 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:52 AM

http://www.baltimore...0,2624820.story

#14 RavenArgento

RavenArgento

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:36 AM

Agreed, our best chance is to take the read-option play away from them and make him prove he is as good with his arm as he is with his legs. We shut down Brady and Luck, did an awesome job with Manning, there is no way this kid can beat us in the air. The key in our D is to shut down their running game, obviously this is all easy to say and very hard to accomplish, but I trust in Pees to get the right plan and our D to execute

#15 BMORE_96

BMORE_96

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:13 AM

You guys made valid points about making colin pass but made no real effort to explain how this d that allowed 200 yards rushing earlier in the season will hold up. And you have not identified weaknesses like the aging wonder that is ray Lewis and the d-line not always getting off blocks against the best running team in football.

I think we all know here the challenge they present in the air is nothing compared to what we just faced.

#16 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,676 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:29 AM

You guys made valid points about making colin pass but made no real effort to explain how this d that allowed 200 yards rushing earlier in the season will hold up. And you have not identified weaknesses like the aging wonder that is ray Lewis and the d-line not always getting off blocks against the best running team in football.

I think we all know here the challenge they present in the air is nothing compared to what we just faced.

The run D has improved a lot since those early season debacles and they've been pretty stingy in the post-season, giving up just 3.8 yards a carry. Frisco's running game obviously poses a huge challenge but I don't see them gashing the D.

Edited by Ed_Reed20, 23 January 2013 - 06:30 AM.

"...when Sean Taylor is in the neighborhood, you will feel him." - Al Michaels

Posted Image

ER20 takes off and then gets distracted by a debate going on...

#17 poedacrow

poedacrow

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:08 AM

There was a time when our Defense was a statistician's dream. League leaders in rush defense, total yards allowed and such. But the one thing I think we are really good at, and the thing that possibly counts the most, is limiting a team's success in the red zone. We just held the #1 scoring offense to "one" TD in their house. Tom Terrific threw for 300+ yards but only had one TD, two ints.(He did score an uncalled kick to Reed's nether regions but that's another story) We held PM similarly in check and, were it not for the two special teams gaffes, that game might have been a laugher. If we keep the score low, and I think we will, we should win this one.
"It wasn't perfect, it wasn't pretty but it was us."

#18 funky141

funky141

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

And can we please put to rest that Aldon Smith is the best pass rusher is all the NFL?

Correction, he is one of the best pass rushers in the league.

#19 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,155 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:41 AM

I sure hope Ngata is ready. He needs to set the tone for the Dline. If he fails to make an impact , that's going to be a huge disappointment .

#20 ravens88

ravens88

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:29 AM

This will be the most physical Offense we have played all year. Kaep can keep plays alive and make good throws. from the games ive watched he still seems to try to fit it into windows that are not there hopefully our secondary can take advantage of that. I dont think anyone here is underestimating Kaep the guy was down 17 in an opposing teams dome and made solid audibles and good throws. I just think our defense will come prepared to contain Kaep its near impossible to stop him with the pistol and his talent that said our D-line will have to play disciplined and stop the run forcing Kaep to throw the ball.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users