Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jaege

SI cover curse

37 posts in this topic

The Ravens must be a team of destiny because even curses have no effect on them or their QBs. Ha!!

[quote name='jaege' timestamp='1358903021' post='1326750']
The Ravens must be a team of destiny because even curses have no effect on them or their QBs. Ha!!
[/quote]
Do not speak too soon.

[quote name='flaccopoe' timestamp='1358903800' post='1326768']
Superstitions... what is this, the 1300s?!
[/quote]
Actually the word wasent used in English till the 15th century.

[quote name='cursona pirate' timestamp='1358904027' post='1326775']
[/quote]

Touche, you bugger!

I don't believe in superstitions but I still go by my own...you know...just in case :bitenails:. But in all seriousness these "curses" are proven time and time again to be untrue. [size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1358903530' post='1326760']
Do not speak too soon.
[/quote]

He was on the cover last week and played very well against the Pats. Curse broken.

[quote name='cursona pirate' timestamp='1358904027' post='1326775']
[/quote]lol that was cold blooded

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1358903530' post='1326760']
Do not speak too soon.
[/quote]

He was on the cover last week and played well against the Pats. Curse broken.

[quote name='dhstandard' timestamp='1358904398' post='1326797']
I don't believe in superstitions but I still go by my own...you know...just in case :bitenails:. But in all seriousness these "curses" are proven time and time again to be untrue.
[/quote]

[size=4]Neither do I. Superstitions only has the power that you give them. If you [/size]believe[size=4] that Friday the 13th is unlucky you [/size][u]will[/u][size=4] find [/size][u]something[/u][size=4] that happens that day to attribute to the unluckiness or make something "unlucky" happen yourself. But superstition is fun, and in the case of the Ravens or football in general, adds to the whole mystique. Ravens, Edgar Allen Poe, the whole [/size]Gothic[size=4] horror thing. [/size]Superstition[size=4] falls right in line for our team. Besides, it is only weird if it doesn't work.[/size]

[quote name='flaccopoe' timestamp='1358903800' post='1326768']
Superstitions... what is this, the 1300s?!
[/quote]

You have no superstitions that you follow? Just for fun? Don't wear purple on Friday, do something odd when we get a touchdown, nothing?

[quote name='jaege' timestamp='1358906936' post='1326886']
You have no superstitions that you follow? Just for fun? Don't wear purple on Friday, do something odd when we get a touchdown, nothing?
[/quote]I have to do a victory walk around the house after every TD

[quote name='jaege' timestamp='1358906936' post='1326886']
[/quote]

No, not to sound like Bjorn Von Killjoy. I don't mind stuff like Purple Friday, it's just the stupid "Curse" chattel that irks me. There is no SI Cover Curse, you're just nitpicking coincidences. No QB that spoke Amarigna has ever won the Super Bowl. That doesn't mean that the Amarigna language is cursed.

[quote name='CalvinSmoke' timestamp='1358907098' post='1326892']
I have to do a victory walk around the house after every TD
[/quote]

Fantastic new sig, smokey! Flame on!

[quote name='flaccopoe' timestamp='1358907392' post='1326906']
Fantastic new sig, smokey! Flame on!
[/quote]Thank you! Thank you vuury much!

[quote name='flaccopoe' timestamp='1358907326' post='1326904']
No, not to sound like Bjorn Von Killjoy. I don't mind stuff like Purple Friday, it's just the stupid "Curse" chattel that irks me. There is no SI Cover Curse, you're just nitpicking coincidences. No QB that spoke Amarigna has ever won the Super Bowl. That doesn't mean that the Amarigna language is cursed.
[/quote]

I am not nitpicking anything. I was hardly the originator of the SI cover curse. Someone noticed that odd coincidence (although I doubt its validity) long before I mentioned it here. If you bothered to read my prior post you would see that I do not believe in curses or superstitions either, short of the fact that they are amusing, nor do I find them irksome. There are so many more things that are [u]actually[/u] irksome in life that I could worry about, if I were of that mind. I guess some people do not like to be amused, Mr Von Killjoy.

So when you have had a few you don't join the crowd in some sort of foolish superstitious ritual? Really? So no jack-o-lanterns on Halloween, no Christmas stockings, no birthday candles? Those are all based upon superstitions. How boring.

[quote name='jaege' timestamp='1358907904' post='1326931']
I am not nitpicking anything. I was hardly the originator of the SI cover curse. Someone noticed that odd coincidence (altrhough I doubt its validity) long before I mentioned it here. If you bothered to read my prior post you would see that I do not believe in curses or superstitions either, short of the fact that they are amusing, nor do I find them irksome. There are so many more things that are [u]actually[/u] irksome in life that I could worry about, if I were of that mind. I guess some people do not like to be amused, Mr Von Killjoy.
[/quote]

I don't obsess over it, it's just annoying. I'm also irked when commentators refuse to say when something historic is going on, so that they don't "jinx" it. For example, Deron Williams made 52 consecutive free throws, but the commentators kept chitcatting about not "jinxing" it. Ironically, as soon as they stopped refering to the streak, he missed a shot to end it. :P

[quote name='CosmicRedPanda' timestamp='1358908368' post='1326951']
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Go talk to Peyton Hillis about curses.[/i][/font]
[/quote]
Or me?

[quote name='flaccopoe' timestamp='1358908248' post='1326944']
I don't obsess over it, it's just annoying. I'm also irked when commentators refuse to say when something historic is going on, so that they don't "jinx" it. For example, Deron Williams made 52 consecutive free throws, but the commentators kept chitcatting about not "jinxing" it. Ironically, as soon as they stopped refering to the streak, he missed a shot to end it. :P
[/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]In football, it's the exact opposite, the moment they bring something positive up -- it gets tarnished. Like during the Patriots game, they mentioned how Joe had not thrown an INT in the playoffs thus far, and I just thought to myself, "Oh great... here it comes."[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Luckily, they did not happen.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]But usually, the NFL commentators are almost on cue with stuff like that happening.[/i][/font]

[quote name='cursona pirate' timestamp='1358908451' post='1326953']
Or me?
[/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Or you can talk to Pirate... if you want...[/i][/font]

[quote name='CosmicRedPanda' timestamp='1358908471' post='1326954']

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]But usually, the NFL commentators are almost on cue with stuff like that happening.[/i][/font]
[/quote]

That's called selective memory. People unconsciously try to pick out patterns when important events happen. For example, people noticed that crime picked up during the full moon. This gradually led to the creation of the werewolf myth. [The actual reason was that the light from the full moon allowed criminals to operate when they normally wouldn't be able to.]

[quote name='flaccopoe' timestamp='1358908248' post='1326944']
[/quote]

While I do not understand why you finding it annoying, I do understand pet peeves. I have a few of those myself, and they are, on the surface sort of, not understandable.

[quote name='CalvinSmoke' timestamp='1358906700' post='1326873']
lol that was cold blooded
[/quote]
I'm a pirate. What do u suspect?

[quote name='flaccopoe' timestamp='1358908669' post='1326961']
That's called selective memory. People unconsciously try to pick out patterns when important events happen. For example, people noticed that crime picked up during the full moon. This gradually led to the creation of the werewolf myth. [The actual reason was that the light from the full moon allowed criminals to operate when they normally wouldn't be able to.]
[/quote]

And thus we have the beginnings of legend, fable and superstition. There were other things that added to the werewolf myth but that is the general idea.

[quote name='jaege' timestamp='1358908684' post='1326963']
While I do not understand why you finding it annoying, I do understand pet peeves. I have a few of those myself, and they are, on the surface sort of, not understandable.
[/quote]

It's annoying because a commentator's job is to explain what's on to the audience! By "not jinxing" something, the crowd misses out on what's going on. Some people didn't even know about Deron Williams' streak until it end because the commentators refused to discuss it.

[quote name='flaccopoe' timestamp='1358908808' post='1326973']
It's annoying because a commentator's job is to explain what's on to the audience! By "not jinxing" something, the crowd misses out on what's going on. Some people didn't even know about Deron Williams' streak until it end because the commentators refused to discuss it.
[/quote]

That is a good point. Still as fans we are not expected to be in any way accurate, (usually we are not) so fan superstition should be more acceptable.

[quote name='flaccopoe' timestamp='1358908669' post='1326961']
[/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Not if you put stock into what is commonly referred to as Moon Magick. The Earth is 75% water and the moon is able to pull the tides... The human body (adult) is 50% to 65% water -- it'd be a little naive to say that the moon does not affect you in some form, be it known to you or not.[/i][/font]

[quote name='CosmicRedPanda' timestamp='1358908977' post='1326979']

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Not if you put stock into what is commonly referred to as Moon Magick. The Earth is 75% water and the moon is able to pull the tides... The human body (adult) is 50% to 65% water -- it'd be a little naive to say that the moon does not effect you in some form, be it known to you or not.[/i][/font]
[/quote]
Women get uk what. Not moon magick

[quote name='CosmicRedPanda' timestamp='1358908977' post='1326979']
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Not if you put stock into what is commonly referred to as Moon Magick. The Earth is 75% water and the moon is able to pull the tides... The human body (adult) is 50% to 65% water -- it'd be a little naive to say that the moon does not affect you in some form, be it known to you or not.[/i][/font]
[/quote]

You get the point! I hope...