Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Ed Reed Going Home: 'Here We Come Baby!'

48 posts in this topic

Safety Ed Reed was born just 30 minutes outside of New Orleans.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ed-Reed-Going-Home-Here-We-Come-Baby/75574f58-c94d-42a6-9dd8-3c942ec544e3]View the full article[/url]

congrats ed im so happy finally seeing you go the super bowl after all these years! ur the only reason why i play football and safety! i hope u intercept kaepernick and return it for a TD at the end of the game... im already playing the scene in my mind.. " kaepernick down 20-27 inside the 10 yard line on 4th goal.. runs to his left avoids a sack throws it across his body for vernon davis.. AND ITS INTERCEPTED BY ED REED!!! WHOS TAKING IT DOWN THE SIDELINE FOR A NEW NFL RECORD 109 YARD INTERCEPTION RETURN FOR A TD!! AND ITS OVER ED REED HAS WON IT FOR THE RAVENS!"

[quote name='metalraven' timestamp='1358896949' post='1326532']
I may be more happy for Ed than any other player.
[/quote]Yeah, me too. Ray already has a ring(definately deserves another one), Suggs and Ngata still have years left in them to get one, but Reed doesn't. For a while I thought he was going to be the greatest player to never play in a SB. Those were some scary thoughts but now he finally gets a shot at a ring.

my gut tells me if we get a ring then my all time favorite player retires . but i want this win so bad for the young and old players make the young ones hungry for more wins. make the old guys go out like lions. Ed go get your ring while your hometown watches and cheers.

in times of need, i hold high my signed #20 ed ball, and i shout,
May the Power of Ed Compel You!!

he's the most dangerous and beautiful man in the world. gonna get a ring.

"And without God's grace...Honestly man, we're nothing.."

-Ed Reed

Lets win this thing. As much as I love Lewis. This win is bigger than just him alone. This win is for Baltimore. EVERYBODY in Baltimore.

Reading this just makes me tear up. I'm happy for all our guys but [i]especially [/i]Ed. He's been my favorite player since he's been here.. I was young and didn't know as much about the game.. all I knew was I was watching something special. He's just a true legend who made the Ravens exciting to watch all these years. I can't think of anyone more deserving to finally get to play on the big stage especially in his home town.

Gotta love this whole team..What the veterans mean to Baltimore, what the rookies, 2nd and 3rd year guys have stepped up and done, what the newbies have learned about playing like a Raven. Do I want a Super Bowl for all these guys, right. Every single man on this team deserves a win. GO RAVENS

[quote name='D3x3001' timestamp='1358896716' post='1326528']
Reed is going to get at least one pick in the Super Bowl. I just know it.
[/quote]
He better!

That mutiny during bye week must have been a much bigger deal than we were led to believe! I am so glad that Harbs handled it and we are much stronger because of it! Go Ravens and fulfill your destiny and our dreams!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think if Ed plays 2 more years, doesnt run off at the mouth this off-season or next about retirement, and can play up to his usual standards he might possible get the sendoff that Ray got. He deserves a great sendoff. Hes done so much for the Ravens and is a great leader and roll model.

I think the only reason Ed has stuck around this long, is because he's never played in a Super Bowl, because he doesn't have a ring. He is without a doubt one of the greatest safeties, if not THE greatest, to ever play the game. But he'll always have that asterisk next to his name in any list like that, not having a Super Bowl ring. Being a Dan Marino type. Now is finally his chance to FULLY cement his awesome legacy, and get that ring he so richly deserves. There are a LOT of veterans who deserve rings too, and many who are no longer Ravens who should have gotten them with us as well (Heap, Mason, Gregg, Johnson, etc.)

But this is Ed's time as much as anyone else's. We simply cannot allow the 49ers to steal this away from us. We HAVE to win this game, for so many different reasons. But perhaps chief among them, because Ed cannot come THIS close finally, simply to lose. That is not an ending fitting of his story. And yes, I think that if we win it all, Ed will retire. There's nothing left for him to do, and his health is declining. Hopefully he has one last great INT in him, and he gets it off of Kaepernick two Sunday's from now, at a pivotal point in the game. Go Ed, and Go Ravens!

God Bless you Ed... I think ol C.K. don't know you like some o these older QB's. I got a feeling he's guna try to get a couple past you that he don't have any business throwing .. Good for Ball Hawks & RAVENS FANS. ! I see two picks & MVP ...! Go get em Ed...

i see a couple of picks for our secondary cause we can fool a 2nd year QB i think he's bareley 24 if not he's 23 let's do a favor for our steeler friend big ben and make sure he stays the youngest to win a SB.

[quote name='sami' timestamp='1358912397' post='1327089']
I think if Ed plays 2 more years, doesnt run off at the mouth this off-season or next about retirement, and can play up to his usual standards he might possible get the sendoff that Ray got. He deserves a great sendoff. Hes done so much for the Ravens and is a great leader and roll model.
[/quote]

The only problem - for us, Ravens-fans - with this is that there's the definite possibility that if he plays on, it won't be in Baltimore. Now that we're a Super Bowl franchise and have the chance to be a Super Bowl winning one, all our UFA's price tags have been going up. And we have key players on that list: Flacco, Kruger, Ellerbe and Reed. There's simply no way we can keep all four. We can franchise one - almost certainly it'll be Flacco, until a long-time deal is worked out anyways. That leaves us with the Kruger/Ellerbe/Reed trio. That Reed is the most legendary player of them, there's no doubt. Even Kruger and Ellerbe would hasten to admit. The question, however, is which of these three would probably be the most key piece of the future Ravens. And, i have to say, it isn't Reed. Not because he isn't a great palyer anymore. Not because he couldn't contribute anymore. It's because Kruger and Ellerbe are both (relatively) young players who still have many years left in the tank, and both play just as important positions than Reed.

And one more thing: surely Reed won't give the Ravens any kind of "hometown discount" (which is a stupid notion anyway and a totally unfair expectation towards players), he'll still demand a huge salary ( and why wouldn't/shouldn't he?). But so will Kruger and Ellerbe. And the salary cap won't allow to grant it to all three - especially if no long-term deal is worked out this off season with Flacco so he plays the next season under the tag, which is always a possibility. So, as a result, at least one, but maybe even two of our 4 key UFA's will leave the Ravens. Just like it was all but certain that Grubbs would walk - and he did. I see no chance we'd let Flacco walk, that's one. And I see no real chance we'll let Ellerbe walk either, as he's become the kinda undisputed successor of Lewis. that leaves us with Reed and Kruger on the hot seat. And history says we'll part ways with the older guy first. That's how we cut legends like Heap and Mason the same day...

Summary: I think Flacco and Ellerbe will be retained, Kruger could go either way, but the FO will make serious attempt to keep him in baltimore. That, however sad it is, leaves Reed out. He'll either retire, take a serious pay cut (accept a much lower salary type new contract, that is) or walk. As much as Reed seems ready to retire each off season, I'm quite sure he won't retire, so option one is out. What I see even less is him taking less money - that leaves us with the third option: he'll walk. And I'm more than sure he'll easily find a team that gives him the big bucks (the Pats?).

All of us would love to see him back in purple next season. But so was the case with Heap, Mason, JJ or Grubbs. The cap simply won't allow us to keep all our guys.

bio

will be interesting to see how the contract negotiations will happen in the off season! Maybe as this may be the last game alot of players play as a raven they will play harder!

[quote name='IBleedPurple#52' timestamp='1358943933' post='1327285']
will be interesting to see how the contract negotiations will happen in the off season! Maybe as this may be the last game alot of players play as a raven they will play harder!
[/quote]

Well, as far as i can see, these are our FA's for the coming off season:

[u]Unrestricted[/u]:
J. Flacco
B. Bajema
B. McKinnie
M. Cox
M. Kemoeatu
R. McBean
D. Ellerbe
P. Kruger
C. Williams
E. Reed
J. Ihedigbo
S. Considine
E. Cook

[u]Restricted[/u]:
E. Dickson
D. Pitta
R. Harewood
A. Jones

[u]Exclusive rights[/u]:
A. Allen

From them, IMHO these are key players who would be key to retain:

Flacco
McKinnie
Cox
Ellerbe
Kruger
Pitta
Jones

These would be useful to retain, but could be replaced in quality if they leave:

Williams
Reed
Allen
Dickson
Kemoeatu
Ihedigbo

And those we don't really need:

Bajema
McBean
Harewood
Considine
Cook

Yep, I put Reed in the "useful, but can be replaced" category, because we're talking about the 35-36 year old Reed. A Reed playing at his best - or even near his best - level is, of course irreplaceable. But if we take a look at his stats for this season... I'm sorry i have to say that, but there's quality replacement for that. I'd love to see Reed stay in Baltimore forever and end his career like Ray Lewis, never for a moment playing for another franchise - but this was the same with Heap, wasn't it? He was my alltime favourite Raven - but life (and the seasons since) justified the decision to let him go. If Reed doesn't retire after the season (and I think he won't), it'll be heartbreaking, but I do think we'll let him go. Maybe he'll get the "JJ-treatment", where he doesn't even get an offer from the Ravens purely out of respect, cause the money we could offer would be too low (salary cap...), so we let him walk and get the money he deserves elswhere.

bio