Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] NFL Reviewing Tom Brady's Slide

55 posts in this topic

The Patriots quarterback kicked Ravens safety Ed Reed as he slid to the turf.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/NFL-Reviewing-Tom-Bradys-Slide/94308ff2-6d62-490c-8b61-736e00bbd737]View the full article[/url]

interesting, we'll see how it looks to the league officials, i understand both sides ..even Reed played it down and Brady apologized BUT player safety is the number one thing here.

People are trying to defend Brady, saying it wasn't intended. If you watch, you can see him extend his leg after raising it. People are also saying he's not accustomed to sliding, so it could have been a mistake. No! Doing something that isn't a natural movement isn't a mistake. You have to make the effort to raise your leg when you slide. SMH

The hit on Pitta should get reviewed. Hard to believe we were hit with 3 personal fouls and yet that one didn't get flagged. DP got his revenge on the very next play though and that's what really counts.

The hit on pitta was legal. would it have been flagged on Reed, Pollard or Lewis? Yeah. But it was clean. at most the bottom of Pittas mask got hit by the shoulder. It was a textbook form tackle, with quite a bit of a pop behind it.

A fine and sitting home watching the super bowl from his sofa is great punishment.......ravens living rent free in that Brady mind he is not going to the pro bowl ............don't you know its beneath him ......what would he say to regular real football players?

I think Brady knew exactly what he was doing because I've never seen a QB make such a slide.
And from what I've seen I think he's lucky that Reed didn't land on his throwing arm when he lost his balance. It's kinda hard to tell from the angle they showed during the game, but it looks like Reed barely misses Brady's arm.

Yeah that's bull he did it on purpose but I guarantee the league won't fine this prissy little brat he'll cry to much

The league better be careful here. Once they make or dont make a statement it is precedent from that point on. If nothing happens you can be sure to see other QB's doing the same thing in the future.
Goodell is a joke. Counting the days til he is gone.

Brady has been doing this for years, and this is the first I've heard of anybody even questioning the propriety of the practice. If he were a baseball player, a slide like that would earn him a fastball aimed at his armpit during his next at bat.

Brady has taken on the personality of his coach, arrogant, classless, possessing a sense of entitlement the size of Boston Harbor, and totally unable to be gracious in defeat.

Btw, as a lifelong Steelers fan, I despise the Ravens for two weeks every season (best case scenario, one more time in the playoffs), but Terrell Suggs has been one of my favorite players since he's been in the league. He's only enhanced that standing with his post-game remarks from Sunday....it's nice to see someone with the cajones to actually say what a lot of us have been thinking for years.

Good luck in the Super Bowl, guys. Custom prohibits me from waving my Terrible Towel in your behalf, but I'll be rooting for yinz.

That hit on Pitta was good. The refs were calling the game to favor the pats though. Reed was hit after calling a fair catch and no flag was thrown. The hit by Pollard on Ridley was good it took the refs forever to review the play and the int by Ellerbe. Yea you can say the refs were favoring the pats

if you do not fine brady than give suh from the lions a full refund on his cheap hits.

I have no respect for Brady as a man, football player, or even as the scum of my shoe, and this incident just amplified it even more.

Just look at the above picture and
you will see that Brady is looking directly at
where his cleat will land!!!

He's not looking into Ed Reed's eyes or to Pollard
or any other player. Brady was looking for a 'direct hit'.

In my honest opinion, that was blatant disregard for safety.
It was a premeditated, willful, & intentional act!!!! Period!

Strongy fine his candy [profanity deleted]!!!

In a situation like this where it is clear that he is trying to injure another player a fine is not sufficient. He should be suspended for a few games next year. Look at what they did to the Saints . . . He also endangered the ref a few plays earlier by trying to use him as a shield against one of our defensive players and he should be reprimanded for that as well. The NFL has done a lot protect the QB's and issuing a lengthy suspension against this guy is a good chance for them to show that the QB's are not being unfairly favored by the league.

Between the cheap shot on Reed by Brady and the incredible helmet to helmet hit Jerod Mayo laid on a defenseless Dennis Pita, it looked to me like the Patriots had decided to win at any cost, taking whatever cheap shot was necessary to slow down the Ravens. It would not surprise me if Bill Belichick had issued a bounty on Ravens players. I think the team should be investigated, not just Brady.

Wasn't just Brady, their whole team was dirty! Except they never got flagged when we got flagged for lesser offenses!

I do not think the hit on Pitta was illegal, but I do think that if the same hit was made by a Ravens defender on a Patriots receiver it probably would have drawn a flag.

This has been a good year for San Francisco,first there Giants win the world series and now they are in the super bowl.There ride is coming to an end come Feb.3!! Go Ravens!!

Ravens first Super Bowl we played Kerry Collins.His initials are K C. Now in this Super Bowl we play Collin Kapernick,his Initials are C K. Just thought that was kinda weird. Lol

Suh was fined 30K for his kick to Schaub, while Brady kept his kick low I could agree that a lesser fine is due. I don't think a suspension is due since he isn't a repeat offender though.
Good on Reed for taking it in stride (literally) and accepting Toms apology.

Brady was wicked. See this picture? He's actually looking at where he's aiming. A straight, high leg like that could well blow out the knee of a player who's coming full speed at you.
I never liked LadyBrady. After this coward attempt to injury a guy who's trying to avoid hitting him, I've lost any kind of respect for this joke of a former player.

He's such a girl! There were 2 plays in the game where he moved left out of the pocket and immediately looked back to see who was chasing him. Prima Donna weenie!!

I think Brady did it on purpose, but not to hurt Reed. I just think he's just a puss and got scared and stuck his leg out. Like Purple Craze said...like a girl! The Pats got the finesse pounded out of them Sunday night by a real football team playing real football. They can't take it when they get bashed in the mouth.

I also think the "defenseless receiver" rule needs some tweaking. Too many times I see the receiver lowering their head and causing the helmet to helmet contact. Like the Aaron Hernandez play on Sunday night. To me, if the defensive player makes a concerted effort to turn his shoulder and hit low then their should be no penalty. If I am a coach in the NFL right now, I am telling my receivers to lower their heads when they see a tackler coming to get a 1st down and an extra 15 yards. That penalty needs to be called when a tackler either leads with his helmet and/or aims a hit high on the receiver. I can't see how they could not call that hit on Pitta a penalty based on their ticky-tack previous calls. There is no way that the Pat's tackler's helmet didn't hit Pitta's helmet...so why wasn't that a penalty?

Go Ravens!!!!!!!

My son who rarely watches football (too busy with girls) was sitting there with me and was like Dad ... "what the hell was that ?"

I said that's the sign of a complete wuss. I hope he lose some $$ over this along ol' homeless guy for stiffing the CBS crew.

As much as we get fine at least do something about that.If it was us doing something like that you better believe we would get fined!

Did I miss something or was Ed also hit on a punt return after making a fair catch, that didn't draw a flag either.?

The actual pic of the brady slide: [img]https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/558438_10151336451221263_1481379895_n.jpg[/img]

Maybe being in the big show it would be a good time to petition the league and get some answers to why we seam to draw penalty flags every time we make a hard hit on anyone, yet it's blatantly obvious that the zebras aren't calling on our behalf.....!

Already protecting QB's that slide...what about pistol QB's that run (4.4 speed yet) and can't be tackled if they slide? IMHO... Either make that a stansdard rule for all ball carriers or let pistol QB's be hit. I think it affects the D when persuing a QB not wanting to commit early and then have the runner slide. I think it becomes an unfair advantage for pistol QB's (we have three now and more to come) and EVERY one of them had success this season. They have altered the game and the NFL has to rebalance the game because of it

People call me crazy all the time about seeing things. This comes from Ravens haters really. I can belive there probably will be no fine, just like there was no flag. Intentional or not, it should've been a flag. 2 PF on Ray and Pollard, and yet Pitta can get crushed in the middle plain as day helmet to helmet/DEFENCLESS reciver, no flag. Sweet next play was his TD catch. Also Reed's fair catch not called when contacted.

Throughout the playoffs, I hate to have the mentality that you have to beat the refs too. I always hear you can't blame the refs if you loose and quit crying etc etc etc. When you consistantly see the things I mentioned in a game that's that monumentaly important to both teams, it stinks a little.

I'm just personally glad that we beat them like we did, in a desisive way, than to have the refs win/lose it for us or them.

You know, Brady could easily have been hurt, disastrously so, if Ed hadn't taken the care to avoid falling on his leg. Thankfully, Ed wasn't hurt in doing so!

I think it is great that the NFL is reviewing this obviously purposeful kick. Regardless of Brady back-peddling and calling Reed to apologize. It never should have happened in the first place!!

My other thought on this is about the refs. There was a ref RIGHT THERE when it happened, and even Harbaugh was hollering "where is the flag on that kick?!". Still no flag (shocker!). Yet we were getting flags thrown on us left and right for dumb and questionable calls at best. How many yards did we lose to "personal fouls"? Ugh!! :229031_rant:

So, I think in addition to the possible fine that Brady faces, the ref(s) that ignored the event and did not throw the flag should also be subject to a fine if the NFL has to step in and review calls after the last whistle of the game has been blown!

Bet that would make them get real honest, real fast!

Just my 2 cents. Either way, WE ARE GOING TO NAWLINS BABY!!!!! WOOHOOO!!! :242736:

~mrs.raven~
:18_1_328:

Here's a related question I have about Brady. In the second half, Brady was moving around and pretending to be calling an audible when the center snapped the ball to the running back beside him in a surprise move. Why didn't the referees call illegal motion on Brady? Only the person receiving the snap is supposed to be able to move, and Brady didn't receive the snap. Is this home town officiating or am I missing something about the rules?

[quote name='Fikenhild' timestamp='1358961551' post='1327530']
Here's a related question I have about Brady. In the second half, Brady was moving around and pretending to be calling an audible when the center snapped the ball to the running back beside him in a surprise move. Why didn't the referees call illegal motion on Brady? Only the person receiving the snap is supposed to be able to move, and Brady didn't receive the snap. Is this home town officiating or am I missing something about the rules?
[/quote]

Didn't you know the rule of "Thou shall never throw a flag on Brady"?

@Fikenhild no its hometown officiating. that is a fact that it should have been a false start, maybe illegal motion, one of them. but yeah the refs had their noses buried in robert krafts arsehole on sunday. hit to the helmet AFTER A FAIR CATCH, hit to the helmet on pitta, brady kicking reed and clearly using that to try to run the hurry up while ed was hobbled..

Pats did get away with a couple penalties but I have to admit, I kind of like Brady after this game. The fact that he called Reed and apologized for what he did was a sign of respect that made me rethink what kind of person he really is. Whether or not he called him out of fear of a fine (and quite possibly his well-being) will never be known, but as of now, Brady's cool in my book.

I might add this is also due in part to the pure satisfaction I took in watching his face fade to the degree of disappointment that I saw in every Raven during that game a year ago.

Revenge is sweet...GO RAVENS!!!

@Quiet Man OH MY GOD i was thinking the same thing about the ref bump. how in gods name did he not see the ref and slide, he actually seemed to look at the tackler, look at the ref, sidestep directly behind him, but the ref was running the same direction so brady ended up running into him. i thought i was crazy but apparently im not the only one lol

To Moderator3: Brady was like a tight end or running back in motion. There can be one man in motion and it doesnt have to be the guy that gets the snap.
Actually I thought it was a pretty clever play.

The helmet to helmet on Pitta, the kick at Ed as well as the late hit on him during a punt return. Its the NFL of course the refs are on the Patriots side. That's the best part. The Patriots had so much help from the refs and STILL couldn't stop us

People really negged me for my comment about the hit on pitta?! lol go look at the video. No part of his head was hit except the bottom of his facemask. C'mon people lol

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9xWO65Sq-XU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is the video. Around 14 seconds is the clearest view. I know you guys don't want to admit it was a clean hit, but in all actuality, it was. Reed or Pollard would have been flagged, but the hit was clean and textbook football. Shoulder hits under the helmet, helmet lands on his shoulder. It is NOT helmet to helmet.