Ravens Schedule Coming Today!

The Ravens will announce their 2014 regular season schedule today at 8:00 pm ET. More Info ยป
Close

Photo

Can the Ravens afford Flacco now?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#61 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,629 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

His agent is asking now for Brady/Rodgers money..
Can the Ravens pay Flacco and then be able to keep Reed, Ngata and others for 2013?

You think Baltimore is going to let the only QB they've ever had who is above average just straight up leave? In what is now a passing league? Come on dude.

And we signed Ngata up for 6 years before last year.

#62 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,969 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

Yeah back-to-back - I meant we've never franchised a guy and then had him walk ala Antonio Bryant with the Bucs or Albert Haynesworth with the Titans.

we have. Wally Williams .
http://www.baltimore...64-261919718744

#63 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,097 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

we have. Wally Williams .
http://www.baltimore...64-261919718744

I didn't know that. Isn't Wally Williams on 105.7 the fan or something like that?

#64 cursona pirate

cursona pirate

Pickle Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,839 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

Lets just give him a life time supply of Pitta hut pizza?

12540_520124434672144_755007992_n.jpg

Go San Jose Sharks and Baltimore Orioles as well!!!

#65 Yatagarasu

Yatagarasu

The Crow-God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,552 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

I'll say this might be a fair contract.

Seven Years

$14 Million per year could jack up to $18 Million through escalators.

$126 Million dollars max (60 Million dollar guaranteed) So basically a $40 Million signing bonus and next two years fully guaranteed.

Escalators where Joe Flacco wins the Super Bowl, League MVP, Offensive Player of the Year, All-Pro, Pro-Bowl and Playoff games should be included.

So basically we're keep him here until 35, which QBs tend to age gracefully.

All I know is that gurarantee money and signing bonus is going to be big on Flacco. I assume he's going to get a bigger signing bonus than Haloti Ngata ($37.1 million guaranteed).

Flacco is going to get really expensive and with the way Brees, Manning, and Brady got paid. I think we better hurry up sign Flacco to a nice contract.

I can tell you one thing about next year. Matt Ryan's contract is probably going to use Flacco's contract to be the minimum and the Falcons are going to overpay for their QB too. I'm hearing numbers like $20 million excess which is ridiculous unless you throw 5000 yards all season and just run an unstoppable offense.

Edited by Corvus Amplus, 22 January 2013 - 05:39 PM.

#66 Yatagarasu

Yatagarasu

The Crow-God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,552 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

HAHAHA That QBR Rating also includes runs and TD.

I bet Adrian Peterson has a better QBR rating than half of the league's QBs.

Forget that maybe even our Bernard Pierce has a higher rating than Flacco.

#67 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,150 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

You think Baltimore is going to let the only QB they've ever had who is above average just straight up leave? In what is now a passing league? Come on dude.

And we signed Ngata up for 6 years before last year.

Remember who we're dealing with here.

#68 RBates

RBates

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,472 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

Man he is going to get big money. (Yes) top five money. Guaranteed!

#69 ellicottraven

ellicottraven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,733 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

All I am hearing now from the pundits are 20 MM a year! I don't know if they are pontificating or his agent is feeding them that information. Either way, at 20 MM it is going to be real tough for us to retain any of our other star players and still conform to the salary cap!

I am hoping we are able to strike a deal in the 16 MM range and seal the deal! In that light if you listen to the press conferences of Harbs, you will notice his emphasis on team victories every time a question comes up about Joe winning the games for us! I just think that is not to give Linta the tools to come back for much more than they had asked for when the season began!
"We are the Champions my friends"!

#70 Yatagarasu

Yatagarasu

The Crow-God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,552 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

I think $20 M per year should be the highest escalator and not guaranteed. I have no problem paying Flacco $20 M if he keeps winning Super Bowls. Any owner will pay that kind of cash for rings. Any...

#71 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

Without MVPs and Probowls Flacco doesn't have the leverage for 20Mill. It's analysts over blowing the situation. Remember the "Ray Rice wants AP money"-rumors? Eli Manning/Ben Roethlisberger/Phillip Rivers. 16-18 Mill a year. That's pretty much the ceiling and that includes bonuses. A 100 and couple Mill contract, that runs for 7 seasons seems fair. It's pretty much market value for SB QBs by now. No overpaying, no underpaying. A Ravens type deal.
I doubt Joe will leave money on the table though. Don't remember our defensive stars giving us any discounts and suddenly Flacco has to take one for the team? I don't see him doing that. He shouldn't need to either.

bJNF689.jpg

#72 Sizzlebshu

Sizzlebshu

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,493 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

Flacco isn't going to get 20 million a year even if he wins, but he will get top 5 money so 18 mil wouldnt be out of the question if he gets to the superbowl and honestly its more than fair and a bargain when the salary cap supposedly spikes in 2 years. We just have to pray we get his deal done before the packers get Rodger's deal done.

#73 Greatness

Greatness

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:12 AM

No, the Ravens should not pay him Brady/Rodgers/Peyton money until he wins the league MVP - throwing for close to or more than 5000 yards, 60%+ completion, 30+ TDs, and less than 10 INTs should do the trick. And no, a mid to high 80s passer rating is not good enough for that type of cap investment.

If that's what Linta wants, slap Flacco with the franchise tag and see what he's up to next year with the permanent changes in a much better o-line (Juan Castillo) and of course Jim Caldwell.

You should chill watching ESPN. If that makes up who should get what kind of contract, then have mercy on me.

8Rbm3.png
"The Flacco does not believe in miracles, miracles believe in him" - Flynismo

#74 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,541 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:31 AM

First of all, you have to understand that this is a team sport. Without the highest paid Ravens in 92, 20, 52, 55, 27, 21, 73, 81, we are not in the Superbowl. Someone else mentioned the Brees deal.. they shot themselves in the foot. I'll also add Rivers and Bradford into that category. Their cap space is very much limited because they overpaid.

I'm not trying to undermine Flacco's accomplishments here. He's an great quarterback who handles pressure very well. Now with a better offensive line, a new coordinator who utilizes the talent surrounding Flacco to the best of their abilities, and solid weapons in 88, 81, 82, and 27, Flacco should get to that next level of top four - or "elite." The top 4, however, are the poster boys of the NFL. They have not only won super bowl MVP, but broken records, won regular season MVPs, have been to multiple pro bowls. Flacco is not there, yet.

Now let's take a look at history. Ben has been to three super bowls and is riding out a 102mil, 8 year contract. His numbers in the regular season are great, but not elite. Mr. [profanity deleted] outperforms himself and proves his worth in the post season, but still no one would put him on the Brees/Rodgers/Brady/Manning level. He hasn't broken any records, no MVPs, and has been to a few pro bowls. Not hall-of-fame worthy, and definitely not worth the 15mil+/year Linta demands.

If the Ravens want a dynasty, they should not overpay Flacco. Like I've stated, if he wins the MVP next season or is in serious contention of that award, then yes - pay him whatever he wants. Right now, even when we win the super bowl, I'd give him Eli money. And no, Eli is not "elite."

LOL

First of all, you have to understand that owners are in it for the Lombardi. Yards, individual awards, etc are great and all and certainly provide leverage, IF you haven't managed to take your team to the big dance. I doubt they will have any meaning IF we win a SB and Flacco is a key contributor to that win.

Second, this isn't the Ravens first rodeo. We, as fans, do this every season. Oh no! We can't pay all these guys! We're going to suck! And, we don't suck. This is how the Ravens do business within the salary cap. They are well aware that we groom players and get the best we can from them during their rookie contracts. Then, we lose a good many to FA. That is just how it works out. And we are better for it in the long run. It is the reason we have the longest active streak going for making the post season.

Third, we have absolutely no say in this at all nor do we really know what is going on with it (right now, I'd say nothing is going on with it, we have a SB to play). I heard that Flacco IS willing to leave money on the table for other positions. He doesn't seem like a greedy guy so that rings true to me.

The first testicular guard, the "Cup" was used in hockey in 1874. The first helmet was used in 1974. That means it only took men 100 years to realize their brain was also important.

#75 poedacrow

poedacrow

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

The topic was titled "Can the Ravens afford Flacco Now"

Can we afford to not have Flacco on this team? I don't know what the numbers will look like but #5 is clearly here to stay. Joe is the way forward and the FO and Joe's agent will get it done.

Edited by poedacrow, 23 January 2013 - 07:46 AM.

"It wasn't perfect, it wasn't pretty but it was us."

#76 PeRK82

PeRK82

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,843 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

100m over 7 years, 40 guaranteed.

Pay the man before Joe Linta starts blowing that sunshine out his rear again.

ROTFL LOLOLOL Holy s. Made my day.

#77 jdynamite

jdynamite

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

Where did you hear he is asking for Brady or Rodgers money? I want a link. Not that I don't believe it, but I remember Aaron Wilson saying that Flacco would take around $15M/yr.

He didn't hear this or read this anywhere as of yet. Before the AFCCG Jason LaCanfora and Adam Schefter talked about how Flacco's down regular season may have lowered his value but an AFC title game win and good play good give him leverage to now ask for $13M-16.5M.

In fact laCanfora seems to be campaigning that 16.5M seems like a fair amount on a CBS article. Lol.

And if he wants an Aaron Rodgers deal we'll glad take that people forget Rodgers contract was only 6yr $65M before the Superbowl and the Brady/Manning/Brees contracts. Rivers , Big Ben, M.Vick, S.Bradford ( due to huge rookie deal ) should make more than Rodgers.

#78 jdynamite

jdynamite

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

His agent is asking now for Brady/Rodgers money..
Can the Ravens pay Flacco and then be able to keep Reed, Ngata and others for 2013?

Maybe you meant to say Brady/ P.Manning/ Brees money. Because Aaron Rodgers is playing out a 6yr 65M contract which would be wonderful!!! Aaron Rodgers should be looking to re-up in another year r 2 perhaps. He signed that contract the year before their Superbowl run.

#79 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,959 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

All I am hearing now from the pundits are 20 MM a year! I don't know if they are pontificating or his agent is feeding them that information. Either way, at 20 MM it is going to be real tough for us to retain any of our other star players and still conform to the salary cap!

I am hoping we are able to strike a deal in the 16 MM range and seal the deal! In that light if you listen to the press conferences of Harbs, you will notice his emphasis on team victories every time a question comes up about Joe winning the games for us! I just think that is not to give Linta the tools to come back for much more than they had asked for when the season began!

This has been explained, but the only thing that matters from a fan stand point is Guaranteed money.

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#80 BallHawker

BallHawker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

You should chill watching ESPN. If that makes up who should get what kind of contract, then have mercy on me.

I'm not watching ESPN. I'm simply stating how individual accomplishments in this league are what leads to enormous contracts. Derp.

Aside from aforementioned quarterbacks, there are.. Freeney, Dumerville, Chris Long, CJ2k, Fitzgerald, Vincent Jackson, Revis, list goes on and on.. Oh please, tell me that those "franchise players" deserved their contracts based on playoff success. Oh, please. Source

LOL

First of all, you have to understand that owners are in it for the Lombardi. Yards, individual awards, etc are great and all and certainly provide leverage, IF you haven't managed to take your team to the big dance. I doubt they will have any meaning IF we win a SB and Flacco is a key contributor to that win.

Second, this isn't the Ravens first rodeo. We, as fans, do this every season. Oh no! We can't pay all these guys! We're going to suck! And, we don't suck. This is how the Ravens do business within the salary cap. They are well aware that we groom players and get the best we can from them during their rookie contracts. Then, we lose a good many to FA. That is just how it works out. And we are better for it in the long run. It is the reason we have the longest active streak going for making the post season.

Third, we have absolutely no say in this at all nor do we really know what is going on with it (right now, I'd say nothing is going on with it, we have a SB to play). I heard that Flacco IS willing to leave money on the table for other positions. He doesn't seem like a greedy guy so that rings true to me.

You're contradicting yourself.. "we groom players and get the best we can from them... We lose a good many to FA." That's what is happening with Flacco. We have indeed gotten the best out of him from his rookie contract, and he has certainly "outplayed" his contract. However, like you said, the Ravens "do business within the salary cap." We don't overpay our players.

The Ravens are one of the best managed teams in the league, including the patties, stoolers, Packers, etc. That is why we have been in the post-season in past five seasons and have had above average success since the beginning of the franchise. The organization will decide how much Flacco is worth, obviously, but I am here to argue that Flacco is not worth 20mil/year and we cannot afford that money. However, I do agree with the rest of you that we cannot afford to lose Flacco. We've gotten him to play the past five years with around 6mil/year. It is time to pay the man, but certainly not top dollar. And seeing as how this team operates, I'm sure they will do just that.

This team takes care of its own who have contributed above and beyond. Sizzle, Ed, Yanda, Webb, Ngata, Ray Rice, 52, etc. However, there are the Grubbs and Adalius Thomas of the world. Flacco definitely falls into the first column, but we've seen Sizzle (x2), Rice, C-Mac, Ngata tagged. I don't see anything wrong with tagging Flacco if he and his agent doesn't agree to a fair contract.

However, I completely agree to you that the most important task is to beat the 9ers, and that I do hope Flacco is willing to leave money on the table or take a huge signing bonus to lower his salary counted against the cap. However, as fans, we discuss this sort of thing to have fun. I care for the Ravens future as much as you and every other fan on here, but I'm here NOT to bash Flacco or his amazing accomplishments, but simply to argue that the Ravens should not overpay him.

Edited by BallHawker, 23 January 2013 - 12:49 PM.

HBqGOpn.jpg

Forum Fantasy Roster - Ben's Nose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users