Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

funky141

Can the Ravens afford Flacco now?

81 posts in this topic

His agent is asking now for Brady/Rodgers money..
Can the Ravens pay Flacco and then be able to keep Reed, Ngata and others for 2013?

[quote name='funky141' timestamp='1358871549' post='1325803']
Can the Ravens pay Flacco and then be able to keep Reed, Ngata and others for 2013?
[/quote]
I think Reed will retire this year with Ray Lewis honestly.

Like this isn't being discussed in a bunch of other topics...

Also, Haloti is under contract till 2016.

[quote name='funky141' timestamp='1358871549' post='1325803']
[/quote]
Where did you hear he is asking for Brady or Rodgers money? I want a link. Not that I don't believe it, but I remember Aaron Wilson saying that Flacco would take around $15M/yr.

I hope Joe is looking for Rodgers money...dude makes under 11M a year.

From what I have heard from people close to the matter, Joe is looking for something in the 15M a year range which is very team friendly considering the market.

100m over 7 years, 40 guaranteed.

Pay the man before Joe Linta starts blowing that sunshine out his rear again.

[b]No[/b], the Ravens should not pay him Brady/Rodgers/Peyton money until he wins the league MVP - throwing for close to or more than 5000 yards, 60%+ completion, 30+ TDs, and less than 10 INTs should do the trick. And no, a mid to high 80s passer rating is [b]not good enough[/b] for that type of cap investment.

If that's what Linta wants, slap Flacco with the franchise tag and see what he's up to next year with the permanent changes in a much better o-line (Juan Castillo) and of course Jim Caldwell.

Previous reports have come out that Flacco and his agent were willing to leave some money on the table for other positions. Not sure if that is accurate. IF we win the SB, the odds are good Reed might retire. Either way, I hate to say it, but I don't see Reed being a Raven next season unless they knock out a deal with Flacco and use the franchise tag on him. He'll want too much money long term. We need to try to keep either Ellerbe or Kruger but I don't think we'll be able to keep both. It is the nature of the salary cap.

I want to put this out there: I think Flacco's deal is done early. I think it gets done early, regardless of the outcome but especially if they win it all. Flacco is the franchise QB, and the Ravens know what he is worth. I don't think it will be long after the Super Bowl that we see a deal done.

I don't see him getting the tag.

BAL can't afford NOT to franchise him! Besides, he's the only legitimate staring QB in FA this year.

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1358871995' post='1325819']
100m over 7 years, 40 guaranteed.
[/quote]

A hunid (Uncle Murda voice)?! I wouldn't pay him more than Peyton Manning!

Believe me, any team in the NFL is going to pay a good QB alot no matter, if they can afford him or not. However, I don't see him getting Brady/Manning money until he is winning MVPs and getting to the Pro-Bowl consistently. He will be a notch below though, which is still plenty.
Eli has a 97$ Mill 6 years contract. Wouldn't surprise me if Joe gets paid a little bit more, just based on the inflated average QB's get thanks to that gargantuan Brees contract. Good luck to the Saints on winning a SB with that, btw.

Unless I see anything different from an inconsistent regular-season Flacco, he is always in that Matt Schaub/Rivers/Romo category. Albeit, his playoff success in the past two years allows him to negotiate a higher contract than those with similar regular season statistics.

There is no way we can pay everyone. Flacco has been good and I am a big supporter of him but to me he has not earned Brady money. He has been great in the post season for the last few yrs now but he has not been consistent enough to get a giant contract he deserves a good contract but not a giant one.

[quote name='BallHawker' timestamp='1358873088' post='1325854']
Unless I see anything different from an inconsistent regular-season Flacco, he is always in that Matt Schaub/Rivers/Romo category. Albeit, his playoff success in the past two years allows him to negotiate a higher contract than those with similar regular season statistics.
[/quote]
I disagree. The playoffs is where it is most important. I'd rather have a playoff QB than a regular season one. Playoffs is where it counts. There is no next time.

I'd question the source of this rumor (although I would not be surprised if this were true).

But to answer the question, of course we can afford him, especially if he takes $15M - $16M per year as expected for some time now.

[quote name='PolishRifle' timestamp='1358873065' post='1325853']
Believe me, any team in the NFL is going to pay a good QB alot no matter, if they can afford him or not.
[/quote]

Exactly. Even if we didn't have cap room (we will), we would free some up (see ya Cary, McKinnie, Birk)

Joe ain't going anywhere. It'll be a mad dash to figure out his contract before the tag to help free up some space.

Honestly, I'm not worried until after the SB. If we win the SB. I'll be so happy, we can take a pseudo-rebuilding year if need be.

[quote name='flynismo' timestamp='1358873548' post='1325862']

Exactly. Even if we didn't have cap room (we will), we would free some up (see ya Cary, McKinnie, Birk)
[/quote]
Yeah. The Ravens can't afford NOT to pay Flacco.

This guy... yes we can afford Joe. The odd man out in all of this is probably going to be Kruger, quite honestly. I can see both Anquan and Haloti restructuring because this is Boldin's last chance to be a part of a dynasty and Haloti is probably not going to play after his current contract (Obviously Ray Lewis, Reed, and Suggs are huge pieces of his motivation and once those guys are gone I can see him hanging it up to spend time with his family and keep his health). That leaves Ellerbe and Reed. I hope we can maneuver and franchise Reed just because A) Safety is one of the cheaper league-average positions and B) We save money if he misses games. Ellerbe will take a hometown discount because he loves this team and we gave him a shot. All that said, if I'm Paul Kruger I love the Ravens for giving me a chance but I've got a chip on my shoulder from the fact that the Ravens probably stunted my growth in the Mattison era and I want to prove my greatness while being paid accordingly. In this scenario, it will be very easy for a mediocre team in need of a pass rusher (Arizona, anyone?) to sell him on a couple extra mil to come play for them.

Like I said earlier, in a few years we might be saying 15 million was a bargain. Matt Ryan already makes 14 million on his rookie deal, and you know that's going up. Heck, the Jets gave Mark freaking Sanchez 15 million, and the Seahawks gave a guy with one NFL start 9.

[quote name='Ravenslifer' timestamp='1358874023' post='1325875']
Like I said earlier, in a few years we might be saying 15 million was a bargain. Matt Ryan already makes 14 million on his rookie deal, and you know that's going up. Heck, the Jets gave Mark freaking Sanchez 15 million, and the Seahawks gave a guy with one NFL start 9.
[/quote]
That's just it. The NFL should penalize teams for these stupid contracts. I know they do with the cap, but some of these decisions are so bad.

Biscotti promised that he'd make sure Joe won't go anywhere for a long time. I saw somewhere we plan on franchising him.

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1358871696' post='1325812']
Where did you hear he is asking for Brady or Rodgers money? I want a link. Not that I don't believe it, but I remember Aaron Wilson saying that Flacco would take around $15M/yr.
[/quote]

I've been listening to the fan and its very possible a 20 million a year by his agent.

[quote name='Ravens<3' timestamp='1358874532' post='1325886']
Biscotti promised that he'd make sure Joe won't go anywhere for a long time. I saw somewhere we plan on franchising him.
[/quote]

We have something like a month after the Superbowl to get a deal done, otherwise Joe becomes a UFA. If a deal isn't reached by then they'll tag him and try to work something out before the start of the season, by which point he has to play under the tag. The same thing happened with Rice last year and that contract came down to the wire, but it got done. I don't remember anyone on the Ravens actually playing out the franchise tag - seems like we always got the deal done before it came to that.

That darn salady cap. It makes football such a great sport to watch, but it's also so aggrevating for teams like the Ravens that draft well.

Flac will get his money something around 15mil a year i believe which means it might be more cap friendly to sign him than franchise tag him. that tag might be needed else where this year. Joe doesnt strike me as a guy who would stick it to the F/O and cause us to have to cut guys to be able to keep him here specifically Anquan and not resign other valuable pieces. Joe is deserving of top 10 QB money but lets not go overboard here he still is up and down at times in the regular season but he is due his payday we have been lucky with that rookie contract.

With Reed and Lewis gone= yes.
If Joe plays in the SB as he did all post season besting Luck, Manning, and Brady in stats...he is officially elite!

Depending on how he plays in the Superbowl, I think he and his agent can make an argument for 16 a year. I heard that Joe himself only wanted 14, but we'll see how that plays out. I also imagine that Joe is the kind of guy that would leave money on the table to better the team.

[quote name='Ravenslifer' timestamp='1358874734' post='1325895']
I don't remember anyone on the Ravens actually playing out the franchise tag - seems like we always got the deal done before it came to that.
[/quote]
CMac. ????

[quote name='funky141' timestamp='1358874702' post='1325893']
I've been listening to[b] the fan [/b]and its very possible a 20 million a year by his agent.
[/quote]
Stealers fans?

We never have a problem of keeping a young superstar; if we can able to keep Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Suggs in the past, there is no reason we can't keep Joe......

PS: why worry when we have one of the best FO in the league.....

[quote name='EricH' timestamp='1358876022' post='1325930']
CMac. ????
[/quote]

Did he - I don't remember that. If so, he's the only one - the guys I can think of - Rice, Ngata, Suggs, all got deals, although I think we might have tagged Suggs twice.

[quote name='BallHawker' timestamp='1358873088' post='1325854']
[/quote]no way where are they at right now yep sitting home watching Joe? i can't even believe you said this not once but twice

[quote name='izvoodoo' timestamp='1358873786' post='1325870']
Like we have a choice.
[/quote]
[quote name='msufan' timestamp='1358873768' post='1325868']
One thing is for sure he can not hit the open market.
[/quote]amen cause someone,,,will pay him and be happy to do it

However lets still be mindful that Flacco still put up a couple of the worse QBR ratings in history these past 2 years...that bad Joe Flacco rears his head and "Bad" Joe Flacco should be accounted for come negotiating time...

However...like I said....if he wins next week...pay him like a Superbowl winning QB should be..

[quote name='I AM LEGEND' timestamp='1358878984' post='1326038']
However lets still be mindful that Flacco still put up a couple of the worse QBR ratings in history these past 2 years...that bad Joe Flacco rears his head and "Bad" Joe Flacco should be accounted for come negotiating time...

However...like I said....if he wins next week...pay him like a Superbowl winning QB should be..
[/quote]

QBR is a freaking joke and you know it.

[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1358879240' post='1326045']
QBR is a freaking joke and you know it.
[/quote]

No, it is a @^&%#@$ mockery of the sport

[quote name='flynismo' timestamp='1358880028' post='1326062']
No, it is a @^&%#@$ mockery of the sport
[/quote]

That's a better way to put it.

I[quote name='beasy2487' timestamp='1358874022' post='1325874']
This guy... yes we can afford Joe. The odd man out in all of this is probably going to be Kruger, quite honestly. I can see both Anquan and Haloti restructuring because this is Boldin's last chance to be a part of a dynasty and Haloti is probably not going to play after his current contract (Obviously Ray Lewis, Reed, and Suggs are huge pieces of his motivation and once those guys are gone I can see him hanging it up to spend time with his family and keep his health). That leaves Ellerbe and Reed. I hope we can maneuver and franchise Reed just because A) Safety is one of the cheaper league-average positions and B) We save money if he misses games. Ellerbe will take a hometown discount because he loves this team and we gave him a shot. All that said, if I'm Paul Kruger I love the Ravens for giving me a chance but I've got a chip on my shoulder from the fact that the Ravens probably stunted my growth in the Mattison era and I want to prove my greatness while being paid accordingly. In this scenario, it will be very easy for a mediocre team in need of a pass rusher (Arizona, anyone?) to sell him on a couple extra mil to come play for them.
[/quote]
I Don't think there's any chance we keep Kruger. I mean he's pretty much a one trick guy that we will not be able to afford. As okay as he can be on the pass rush, he's a liability in coverage.Say goodbye to Cary Williams as well.

[/quote]

LOL! QBR...

[quote name='llwillow1231' timestamp='1358878146' post='1326003']
no way where are they at right now yep sitting home watching Joe? i can't even believe you said this not once but twice
[/quote]

First of all, you have to understand that this is a team sport. Without the highest paid Ravens in 92, 20, 52, 55, 27, 21, 73, 81, we are not in the Superbowl. Someone else mentioned the Brees deal.. they shot themselves in the foot. I'll also add Rivers and Bradford into that category. Their cap space is very much limited because they overpaid.

I'm not trying to undermine Flacco's accomplishments here. He's an great quarterback who handles pressure very well. Now with a better offensive line, a new coordinator who utilizes the talent surrounding Flacco to the best of their abilities, and solid weapons in 88, 81, 82, and 27, [b]Flacco[/b] should get to that next level of top four - or "elite." The top 4, however, are the poster boys of the NFL. They have not only won super bowl MVP, but broken records, won regular season MVPs, have been to multiple pro bowls. Flacco is not there, [b]yet[/b].

Now let's take a look at history. Ben has been to three super bowls and is riding out a 102mil, 8 year contract. His numbers in the regular season are great, but not elite. Mr. [profanity deleted] outperforms himself and proves his worth in the post season, but still no one would put him on the Brees/Rodgers/Brady/Manning level. He hasn't broken any records, no MVPs, and has been to a few pro bowls. Not hall-of-fame worthy, and definitely not worth the 15mil+/year Linta demands.

If the Ravens want a dynasty, they should not overpay Flacco. Like I've stated, if he wins the MVP next season or is in serious contention of that award, then yes - pay him whatever he wants. Right now, even when we win the super bowl, I'd give him Eli money. And no, Eli is not "elite."

[quote name='BallHawker' timestamp='1358881387' post='1326088']
First of all, you have to understand that this is a team sport. Without the highest paid Ravens in 92, 20, 52, 55, 27, 21, 73, 81, we are not in the Superbowl. Someone else mentioned the Brees deal.. they shot themselves in the foot. I'll also add Rivers and Bradford into that category. Their cap space is very much limited because they overpaid.

I'm not trying to undermine Flacco's accomplishments here. He's an great quarterback who handles pressure very well. Now with a better offensive line, a new coordinator who utilizes the talent surrounding Flacco to the best of their abilities, and solid weapons in 88, 81, 82, and 27, [b]Flacco[/b] should get to that next level of top four - or "elite." The top 4, however, are the poster boys of the NFL. They have not only won super bowl MVP, but broken records, won regular season MVPs, have been to multiple pro bowls. Flacco is not there, [b]yet[/b].

Now let's take a look at history. Ben has been to three super bowls and is riding out a 102mil, 8 year contract. His numbers in the regular season are great, but not elite. Mr. [profanity deleted] outperforms himself and proves his worth in the post season, but still no one would put him on the Brees/Rodgers/Brady/Manning level. He hasn't broken any records, no MVPs, and has been to a few pro bowls. Not hall-of-fame worthy, and definitely not worth the 15mil+/year Linta demands.

If the Ravens want a dynasty, they should not overpay Flacco. Like I've stated, if he wins the MVP next season or is in serious contention of that award, then yes - pay him whatever he wants. Right now, even when we win the super bowl, I'd give him Eli money. And no, Eli is not "elite."
[/quote]so i misunderstood i get the money aspect of it . i thought you were about to bash joe. schaub and romo in my opinion don't come close to joe .ryan either. not a popular opinion but it is mine .

[/quote]

Interesting.

The almighty QBR ranks Flacco very poorly.

The players who play against Flacco voted him to be one of the best players in the game.

Who to believe??

[quote name='BallHawker' timestamp='1358881387' post='1326088']

If the Ravens want a dynasty, they should not overpay Flacco. Like I've stated, if he wins the MVP next season or is in serious contention of that award, then yes - pay him whatever he wants. Right now, even when we win the super bowl, I'd give him Eli money.[b] And no, Eli is not "elite."[/b]
[/quote]

Cant spell Elite without Eli. lol

We are getting too concerned about Flacco's contract.
He will get a minimum of $15M per year, and a maximum of around $17M. That $2M variance really isn't a big deal, especially since the salary cap allotment will raise in the future.

Believe me, the FO knows what it is doing and how to structure his contract.