Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hardbaugh

I was wrong!

122 posts in this topic

Anybody wanna admit that Oher is okay on the offensive line? That Cary Williams is a decent corner. Paul Kruger is a monster.

Scrambling QB's are as good as pocket passers.

Anybody?

[quote name='RBates' timestamp='1358950099' post='1327350']
Anybody wanna admit that Oher is okay on the offensive line? That Cary Williams is a decent corner. Paul Kruger is a monster.

[b]Scrambling QB's are as good as pocket passers.[/b]

Anybody?
[/quote]

TBD

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1358865302' post='1325679']
I was wrong about Boldin being on the decline, but I blame Cam for that.
[/quote]

You are correct to blame Cam Cameron, Boldin has never been put in the best position to succeed within this offense, a strong big bodied possession WR, asked to constantly run deep patterns 10+ yards 90% of the time. He has never been a speedy guy throughout his career. Basically they never took what Boldin was good at and applied it to this offense. Which was lining up in the slot about half his offense snaps or going in motion to create mismatches and allow extra spacing for him to create separation. Or to run slants, drags, seams, digs, curls to get the balls in hands quickly and allow him to gain YAC.
The offense never had any easy plays to develop a rhythm and get guys involved.

[b]Anybody wanna admit that Oher is okay on the offensive line? That Cary Williams is a decent corner.[/b] Paul Kruger is a monster.

[b]Scrambling QB's are as good as pocket passers.[/b]

Anybody?
[/quote]

Mike's turned in some good performances but he's still prone to inconsistency. And Cary has stepped up majorly since about mid-season but that doesn't negate him worked all last season and early this season as well.

As for the QB debate, not looking to hijack the thread, but based on what do we distinguish "scrambling QBs" from "pocket passers"?

[quote name='jdynamite' timestamp='1358951815' post='1327361']
You are correct to blame Cam Cameron, Boldin has never been put in the best position to succeed within this offense, a strong big bodied possession WR, asked to constantly run deep patterns 10+ yards 90% of the time. He has never been a speedy guy throughout his career. Basically they never took what Boldin was good at and applied it to this offense. Which was lining up in the slot about half his offense snaps or going in motion to create mismatches and allow extra spacing for him to create separation. Or to run slants, drags, seams, digs, curls to get the balls in hands quickly and allow him to gain YAC.
The offense never had any easy plays to develop a rhythm and get guys involved.
[/quote]

Exactly. Cam was stubborn, he tried to force the players into his system instead of work it to their strengths.

Anybody?
[/quote]

Most of that is still up in the air! Everyone knows Oher is a streaky player, he may play well for most of a game or a couple games then some kind of holding, false start or complete miss on block. Most people like myself admitted to themselves along time ago that Oher is better at RT ( and wonders what he'd be like at Guard due to his speed and running blocking ).

Cary Williams may have caught INTs this year, but last year it seem like he had better year coverage wise ( eye test ) not sure if statistically he gave up more recs, yards, TDs. Plus it's just Cary's second year of real nfl action, so he can improve much more.

I think Kruger has been much better as a pass rusher, but he's no monster in my eyes yet. Commentators have really annoyed me as of late with all the Kruger is by far the ravens best pass rusher. He leads the team in sacks yes, but Suggs and Ngata are occupying blockers. Kruger is doing what he should be doing by occasionally beating one on one coverage purely edge rushing. I love what he's done the second half of this season but I would consider him more of a monster if he had this type of impact while Suggs was out first half of season.

That last thing is more of a false-truth because these QBs offense have designed QB runs, run action, option run etc. rather than the traditional broken play scrambler. It just happen to be guys than can throw really well and an added bonus of oh yeah they are athletic too.

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1358952703' post='1327378']

Exactly. Cam was stubborn, he tried to force the players into his system instead of work it to their strengths.
[/quote]

This should soon be known as the Cam'toni way of coaching. As in Cam Cameron and Mike D'Antoni ain't adjusting to nothing we running this offensive scheme not matter how effective it is that's that shut up lol.

Anybody?
[/quote]
Scrambling quarterbacks aren't as good as pocket passers. They don't last very long. Better expiration date!
I have a better analogy but its inappropriate.

[quote name='cursona pirate' timestamp='1358957736' post='1327469']
Scrambling quarterbacks aren't as good as pocket passers. They don't last very long. Better expiration date!
I have a better analogy but its inappropriate.
[/quote]

Yep, shorter shelf life. That means you can't ride these guys into their 30s with success like a pocket passer. Which means your back on the QB carousel that much faster, trying to comb through the prospects for that 'next' guy.

[quote name='PuRock' timestamp='1358959702' post='1327495']
Yep, shorter shelf life. That means you can't ride these guys into their 30s with success like a pocket passer. Which means your back on the QB carousel that much faster, trying to comb through the prospects for that 'next' guy.
[/quote]
Like look at Vick? How long did that last? RGIII already torn his ACL or whatever. They dont last long in the NFL. Fact.

[quote name='cursona pirate' timestamp='1358959936' post='1327500']
Like look at Vick? How long did that last? RGIII already torn his ACL or whatever. They dont last long in the NFL. Fact.
[/quote]

Vick was able to be an efficient pocket passer in 2010. But that was short-lived.

RG3 is also a very good pocket passer with great accuracy and arm strength. But he's on the Redskins, and if he ever wants to transform into more of a pocket-passer, they need to add the supporting cogs on their team. Like focus on the O-line and D. They just can't rely upon RG3s abilities like they did this year.

I was wrong about Kyle Boller. I thought he would be a more consistent 3rd string QB.

Seriously though. I was wrong about Cary Williams - wonder where he ends up next year?

[quote name='TheMadRaven' timestamp='1358962459' post='1327559']
Seriously though. I was wrong about Cary Williams - wonder where he ends up next year?
[/quote]

You thought he was good?

[quote name='awholelottahaloti' timestamp='1358964537' post='1327630']
You thought he was good?
[/quote]
No, he thinks Im good.
Im actually great. Just sayin.

[quote name='TheMadRaven' timestamp='1358962459' post='1327559']
I was wrong about Kyle Boller. I thought he would be a more consistent 3rd string QB.

[/quote]
Dude, Kyle Boller is a beast!
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cur_3DSpOH4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cur_3DSpOH4[/url]

Bernard Pierce - I never thought i'd say it but personally I think our run game would be fine without Rice. I was just so high on the Rice bandwagon since he was drafted I couldn't accept the fact that he is replaceable..

Ray Lewis - My favorite player of all time and the reason for my passion for Football and Ravens. I thought that he lost a step even before his injury. Post injury i thought for sure my man was done for good. Thanks the man above that I was never more wrong in my life...

Joe Flacco - The achilles heel of my football life. I bash him, cheer him on then bash him week after week, hoping he'd get injured last year so we got to see Bulger. Hoping he'd do so terrible this past regular season so that we would get a complete game from Tyrod. THANK YOU FLACCO! For stuffing my mouth with crow and tearing it up in the post-season!

[quote name='cursona pirate' timestamp='1358967997' post='1327717']
Dude, Kyle Boller is a beast!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cur_3DSpOH4[/media]
[/quote]

Love this lol

[quote name='awholelottahaloti' timestamp='1358964537' post='1327630']
You thought he was good?
[/quote]

No, I thought he sucked.

[quote name='1/28/01' timestamp='1358950325' post='1327352']
TBD
[/quote]

With the influx of the "new breed" of quarterback, it's not just being a "Scrambling QB's" or "pocket passers" anymore, it's the combination of both. What the league has seen the last couple of years, esp. this year, is that if you have a complementary schemes designed to use the strength of the QB, it can work. RGIII, Wilson, Newton and Kaep proved that an offense can run with that type of QB, but he difference with those four is that they can actually make plays with their arm as well, not just their legs.

A pure "scrambler" will never be as good as a "pocket passer" in the long term, but a combination of both can do major damage if the defense is not prepped for it.

[quote name='redandgoldblooded' timestamp='1358971529' post='1327770']
With the influx of the "new breed" of quarterback, it's not just being a "Scrambling QB's" or "pocket passers" anymore, it's the combination of both. What the league has seen the last couple of years, esp. this year, is that if you have a complementary schemes designed to use the strength of the QB, it can work. RGIII, Wilson, Newton and Kaep proved that an offense can run with that type of QB, but he difference with those four is that they can actually make plays with their arm as well, not just their legs.

A pure "scrambler" will never be as good as a "pocket passer" in the long term, but a combination of both can do major damage if the defense is not prepped for it.
[/quote]

I'm confused, are you saying you were wrong about this?

I was wrong about Joe Flacco and I was also wrong about Cam... I think going forward we need to be giving benifit of the doubt to some guys because we don't see through the same pair of eyes...

[quote name='Dudeman' timestamp='1358979659' post='1328022']
I'm confused, are you saying you were wrong about this?
[/quote]

No, what I'm saying is that the new breed of QB's, if used correctly, can do damage. From a pure football standpoint, a "scrambling" QB will never be as good as a "pocket passer" for the long term.

What differentiate the new crop of QB's, though, is that they can all pass as well, not necessary in the pocket. If a QB has to resort to being a pocket passer, ala Steve Young and if the instinct is there, they can succeed. Kaep is doing that now, as well as Wilson and RGIII.

[quote name='redandgoldblooded' timestamp='1358982507' post='1328129']
No, what I'm saying is that the new breed of QB's, if used correctly, can do damage. From a pure football standpoint, a "scrambling" QB will never be as good as a "pocket passer" for the long term.

What differentiate the new crop of QB's, though, is that they can all pass as well, not necessary in the pocket. If a QB has to resort to being a pocket passer, ala Steve Young and if the instinct is there, they can succeed. Kaep is doing that now, as well as Wilson and RGIII.
[/quote]

I am not saying I agree or disagree, I am actually pointing out this is off-topic. If you wanna make a thread called Pocket vs Scrambling passer then be my guest. However, I will point out that the greatest quarterbacks of all time were phenomenal pocket passers.... just sayin.

[quote name='TheMadRaven' timestamp='1358971064' post='1327760']
No, I thought he sucked.
[/quote]

I think he does too, but keeping with the theme, I hope I'm wrong.

[quote name='Dudeman' timestamp='1358983536' post='1328156']
[i][b]However, I will point out that the greatest quarterbacks of all time were phenomenal pocket passers.... just sayin.[/b][/i]
[/quote]

And will continue to be.....just sayin'.

[quote name='Dudeman' timestamp='1358983536' post='1328156']
I am not saying I agree or disagree, I am actually pointing out this is off-topic. If you wanna make a thread called Pocket vs Scrambling passer then be my guest. However, I will point out that the greatest quarterbacks of all time were[b][u] phenomenal pocket passers[/u][/b].... just sayin.
[/quote]

My bad for swaying off the original topic. And I agree with your assessment (bolded and underlined). We have THREE in the HOF with that qualification.

[quote name='redandgoldblooded' timestamp='1358985641' post='1328217']

My bad for swaying off the original topic. And I agree with your assessment (bolded and underlined). We have THREE in the HOF with that qualification.
[/quote]

You are right, but I just want to hear DIRECT from a 9er fan which 3 passing QBs you're referring to.

The regulars around here will know why.

Thanks in advance!

[quote name='1/28/01' timestamp='1358989812' post='1328301']
You are right, but I just want to hear DIRECT from a 9er fan which 3 passing QBs you're referring to.

The regulars around here will know why.

Thanks in advance!
[/quote]

Brodie
Montana
Young*

*was a scrambler first. :D