Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flaccopoe

Chykie Brown assessment

Chykie   99 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about his performance

• Developing quite well
    • Don't see potential there
    • Still haven't seen enough of him to judge

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

106 posts in this topic

What do you think of the 2nd-year CB from Texas? Do you see potential in the Chykster or do you think he is not cut out for the Ravens? He's had 29 tackles and 7 passes defended, but also some glaring penalties.

He's a young guy who came into the league very raw. He has a lot of potential still. He wasn't expected to play much this year, but injuries changed that. He's played exceedingly well compared to what I expected.

His biggest plus is he actually plays the ball. He's a serviceable corner with pretty decent technique. He's definitely a guy you keep on the roster, but no better than a nickel.

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1358833771' post='1325439']
Brown is fine.
[/quote]

Care to elaborate?

[quote name='flaccopoe' timestamp='1358833961' post='1325441']

Care to elaborate?
[/quote]
Let me elaborate
Good solid DB

Actually I believe chykie has all the physical tools. Ozzie even said he believed he was a first round prospect( can't find quote). His only downside was technique. He has vastly improved and has made plays. He was solid up until yesterday when he could not tackle and had that communication error with Corey. Jimmy played great considering he has not touched the field on defense for some time when they alternated between him and chykie.

Cornerback is one of our strengths with Webb back and Cary gone. We will at the most draft a corner on day 3 because you can't have enough corners.

Posted · Hidden by Moderator 2, January 22, 2013 - reported for stupidity · Report post

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1358834028' post='1325442']
Let me elaborate
Good solid DB
[/quote]

very nice assessment there buddy...:D

Chykie has the chance to be a good CB in this league. Great physical tools, but in all honesty, I would take Jimmy over him any day of the week.

His a hard worker, a student of the game. If people like Brown and few other up&comming 'next man up' didn't show up, we would be in a lot of trouble. What I see is that he is inexperienced. I think he has alot of potential, and given time he can excel.

A definate keeper imo. Can't wait to see what he has to offer in 9ers game in 2 weeks. Our secondary will be attacked, I hope everyone can communicate better and do their job.

Posted · Hidden by Moderator 2, January 22, 2013 - mines bigger · Report post

[quote name='Ravenseconbeast' timestamp='1358834120' post='1325445']

very nice assessment there buddy...:D
[/quote]
Don't you have anything better to do with your life than go around a troll a 14 year old? No seriously, do you? I can take the Flack that Poe or Panda, or Fly, Arnie, Nurps, and The Raven give me, but you, you aren't freakin jokin like they are........ This is the second damn time this has happened today alone.[quote name='BMORE_96' timestamp='1358834051' post='1325443']
Actually I believe chykie has all the physical tools. Ozzie even said he believed he was a first round prospect( can't find quote). His only downside was technique. He has vastly improved and has made plays. He was solid up until yesterday when he could not tackle and had that communication error with Corey. Jimmy played great considering he has not touched the field on defense for some time when they alternated between him and chykie.

Cornerback is one of our strengths with Webb back and Cary gone. We will at the most draft a corner on day 3 because you can't have enough corners.
[/quote]
This

Posted · Hidden by Moderator 2, January 22, 2013 - mines bigger · Report post

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1358834648' post='1325451']
Don't you have anything better to do with your life than go around a troll a 14 year old? No seriously, do you? I can take the Flack that Poe or Panda, or Fly, Arnie, Nurps, and The Raven give me, but you, you aren't freakin jokin like they are........ This is the second damn time this has happened today alone.
This
[/quote]

Uh what..? lol

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1358834648' post='1325451']
Don't you have anything better to do with your life than go around a troll a 14 year old? No seriously, do you? I can take the Flack that Poe or Panda, or Fly, Arnie, Nurps, and The Raven give me, but you, you aren't freakin jokin like they are........ This is the second damn time this has happened today alone.
This
[/quote]

Don't try to turn this around on Ravenseconbeast! He rightfully pointed out the folly of your insubstantially succinct response. It has nothing to do with your age. Hope this doesn't turn into a neg war. Luckily, each person is only allotted 2 a day...

I found the 7 passes-defended stat to be his most impressive. I realize that he still has a lot to learn, being so young. I hope he receives the discipline to avoid future costly penalties.

[quote name='flaccopoe' timestamp='1358833190' post='1325434']
What do you think of the 2nd-year CB from Texas? Do you see potential in the Chykster or do you think he is not cut out for the Ravens? He's had 29 tackles and 7 passes defended, but also some glaring penalties.
[/quote] I like how he's coming along. You can never have too many cornerbacks and with Williams probably gone after this year, Webb recovering from an ACL that leaves him, Graham and Smith to compete for starting jobs next year. Not sure what you mean by a glaring penalty but these days I can't hold a P.I. call against a CB...the league likes to see the ball in the air.

I like him and we'll need him to improve his technique next year.

[quote name='flaccopoe' timestamp='1358835170' post='1325455']

Don't try to turn this around on Ravenseconbeast! He rightfully pointed out the folly of your insubstantially succinct response. It has nothing to do with your age. Hope this doesn't turn into a neg war. Luckily, each person is only allotted 2 a day...
[/quote]
He's been doing that to me all day regardless of the response Poe..... That was Sarcasim. I'm tired, and was in study mode, and don't want to answer questions. I gave you an elaborated response. Sorry if you were offended.[quote name='flaccopoe' timestamp='1358835331' post='1325458']
I found the 7 passes-defended stat to be his most impressive. I realize that he still has a lot to learn, being so young. I hope he receives the discipline to avoid future costly penalties.
[/quote]
They pick on him a lot, but he makes them pay

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1358835790' post='1325467']
He's been doing that to me all day regardless of the response Poe..... That was Sarcasim. I'm tired, and was in study mode, and don't want to answer questions. I gave you an elaborated response. Sorry if you were offended.
They pick on him a lot, but he makes them pay
[/quote]

I havent done anything. Except answer your question on a thread you created. Then just now, poked a little fun. I didn't try to harass you bud.

You can however stop having moderators force a warning on me for bogus reasons.

[quote name='Ravenseconbeast' timestamp='1358836076' post='1325471']
I havent done anything. Except answer your question on a thread you created. Then just now, poked a little fun. I didn't try to harass you bud.

[/quote]

I'm behind you, econ! There was nothing inflammatory in your response.

Agh, this studying thing getting to my head! [quote name='Ravenseconbeast' timestamp='1358836076' post='1325471']

[/quote]
Between the head hurting from finals week, Poe posting animal picks, and the freakin celebration parties.....

I'm gonna need to get of this board....

Peace y'all. I need some sleep bad.

Now that this[i] petite guerre [/i]is behind us, can we get back to evaluating Chykie's merits? I like Brown's run defense capabilities. 29 tackles is pretty impressive for a guy off the bench.

Brown played well against his competition.

Of course, Brown is not an All-Pro cornerback, but there's not a lot in the league anyways (Revis, Bailey, Sherman, Tillman), but he has developed into a guy who is not terrible, but serviceable.

Brown will play out his contract and prove his worth as a serviceable cornerback. If he develops into a good starting cornerback, then that's the Front Office's decision to keep him. Remember, you can never have enough good cornerbacks becuse it's a passing league and you want to take away that 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and even 5th option from the quarterback.

One last post (I promise) anything I have said the past hour on these boards may be very Irrelevant (what's new right?) anything I said, plz just Ignore.

On topic.

Chykie will be a starter. He will be part of our beast secondary in a few years. Why don't we move him or Jimmy to safety?

To be honest, I haven't been watching/noticing him that much at all. My gameday rewind expired early, (pisses me off) and I've been trying to watch Ray the majority of the time since he's been back. Since I haven't heard from him that much I guess that means he's doing good. I basically just haven't focused on him as much as other players.

but...... Carys has been playing great. I know that.

[quote name='Corvus Amplus' timestamp='1358836724' post='1325482']
Brown played well against his competition.

Of course, Brown is not an All-Pro cornerback, but there's not a lot in the league anyways (Revis, [b]Webb[/b], Sherman, Tillman), but he has developed into a guy who is not terrible, but serviceable.

Brown will play out his contract and prove his worth as a serviceable cornerback. If he develops into a good starting cornerback, then that's the Front Office's decision to keep him. Remember, you can never have enough good cornerbacks becuse it's a passing league and you want to take away that 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and even 5th option from the quarterback.
[/quote]Fixed. :)

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1358836767' post='1325483']
Chykie will be a starter. He will be part of our beast secondary in a few years. Why don't we move him or Jimmy to safety?
[/quote]
That's Irrelevant. :P

[quote name='flaccopoe' timestamp='1358836633' post='1325479']
Now that this[i] petite guerre [/i]is behind us, can we get back to evaluating Chykie's merits? I like Brown's run defense capabilities. 29 tackles is pretty impressive for a guy off the bench.
[/quote]

His run defense/tackling ability is prolly his biggest weakness. Yeah, 29 tackles is pretty impressive but I have seen him miss some tackles, especially last game where he missed a couple. He's pretty good in coverage and playing the ball, but once he perfects his technique he should get a lot better at coverage. I'm not saying he's a bad tackler but I wouldn't say that's his best asset. If he's the third CB again in two weeks, He has to make sure he wraps up, thats for sure

[quote name='flaccopoe' timestamp='1358836173' post='1325472']

I'm behind you, econ! There was nothing inflammatory in your response.
[/quote]

Thx for backing me up bud!

Since every time I express my opinion on a young buck, some blowhard always throws my "Torrey Tantrums" at me, I've decided that I'm just gonna pat myself on the back every time I'm right, as a reminder of why I'm awesome sauce and you guys are thumb-sucking nancies.

Let's start with Chykie. After all, I did correctly predict that we were going to draft him and Jimmy Smith (way to go Fly!!). Just like I had us taking Bernard Pierce this year (way to go again Fly!!) and everyone groaned about how we dont need to waste a pick on a RB.

Chykie is Samari Rolle's clone. He just needs time and opportunities.
Unfortunately for him, we are insanely deep at CB, and we have guys who are ready NOW. So ultimately, Chykie will never be more than a nickel or dime back, barring some serious injurious. He will never be given the time he needs to truly develop. Such is life, but if a guy like him is #4 or #5 on the depth chart, that says a lot more for our FO than it does Chykie.

I love me some Chykie. He can press and play off. He's quick and fluid. He plays the ball. He can break up passes. He can usually tackle. Looking forward to seeing him more.

[quote name='flynismo' timestamp='1358841583' post='1325521']
Since every time I express my opinion on a young buck, some blowhard always throws my "Torrey Tantrums" at me, I've decided that I'm just gonna pat myself on the back every time I'm right, as a reminder of why I'm awesome sauce and you guys are thumb-sucking nancies.

Let's start with Chykie. After all, I did correctly predict that we were going to draft him and Jimmy Smith (way to go Fly!!). Just like I had us taking Bernard Pierce this year (way to go again Fly!!) and everyone groaned about how we dont need to waste a pick on a RB.

Chykie is Samari Rolle's clone. He just needs time and opportunities.
Unfortunately for him, we are insanely deep at CB, and we have guys who are ready NOW. So ultimately, Chykie will never be more than a nickel or dime back, barring some serious injurious. He will never be given the time he needs to truly develop. Such is life, but if a guy like him is #4 or #5 on the depth chart, that says a lot more for our FO than it does Chykie.
[/quote]

Ego-tripping, I see! Muhammad Ali said it ain't bragging if you can back it up, though.

Anyway, I agree Chykie will never be utilized much here, barring another Webb injury. BAL has a lot of depth at the position.