Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Jim Caldwell Staying As Offensive Coordinator

76 posts in this topic

The Ravens have also hired former Eagles Defensive Coordinator Juan Castillo.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Jim-Caldwell-Staying-As-Offensive-Coordinator/258ec383-2058-469f-af2b-73146a29f4ba]View the full article[/url]

GreaT news Caldwell is becoming of his own at the o-cord position!!

Cant wait for Superbowl sunday , an NEXt Year now!

smart move hiring juan castillo. he is a great o-line coach and will help this team moving forward.

In retrospect, losing to the Redskins was a blessing in disguise. Caldwell has been great at O.C... What perfect timing it is to be playing your best football all season on both sides of the ball.

Great News wow just keep getting better as a team now juan Castillo as help with running scheme and Oline help wow really gonna be dominating the Dline now!

There is little to suggest that we will slow down any time soon. We are making that last ride all the way to victory in New Orleans. I know that Flacco will be throwing the ball deep in the dome.

Absolutely amazing job by Jim thus far. Let's see what he can add to Cam's playbook next season, though. The Castillo hire was genius. [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Per the Aaron Wilson article and the [/font][/color][url="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000129367/article/ravens-to-keep-jim-caldwell-at-oc-add-juan-castillo"]NFL.com article[/url][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif], it seems that he has been around the team the past few weeks since he was fired by the Eagles. [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Anyone think his recent inputs affected the OUTSTANDING play by the Ravens o-line and the re-emergence of Big Mac? If so, great move by Harbs, who I'm sure had great connections with Castillo as a former member of the Eagles squad.[/font][/color]

Here what they're talking about in foxbrough...Matt Pepin, Boston.com

"The Baltimore Ravens saw the trepidation, the uncertainty, the confusion. And what they sensed most from the Patriots in the darkness at Gillette Stadium on Sunday night was something we have not witnessed for a very long time.

Fear.

And so it ends this time the way it has ended many times before in recent years, with the Patriots succumbing to a tougher, more physical team in the late stages of the NFL postseason. ...

No excuses this Monday, Patriots fans. No talk of Rob Gronkowski's arm, of Aqib Talib's hamstring, of Chandler Jones' ankle. Baltimore has had more than its share of issues this year. The Ravens still came into Foxborough on Sunday, shook the Patriots' hands at the coin toss, then punched New England squarely in the face.

And the Patriots just took it."

Well, for lack of any other explanation, the change worked!

Remember back when there was a "no holds barred" meeting? What came out of that was a ultimatum - either Cam changes or we're DONE! It was a lose-the-locker-room-or change moment!

John, ever the 'company man" and loyal friend, negotiated a truce,.. but nothing really changed with the ensuing win, then loss!

Enter Jim Caldwell!

Now, we're in the Super Bowl,... Joe's being called elite, and Harbs is now a great coach with a Super Bowl appearance after 3 AFC championship games!!!

Uh-huh!

Well good thing weather won't affect the deep ball since were playing in a dome. I know guys like Ed Reed want to put on a show in that dome since its his home town.

Caldwell = MVP of the coaching staff

Does Cameron still get a ring after we win ? Or does he just get some SB cuflinks ? :)

And thank you Vegas...for making us the underdog in 3 of our 4 playoff games. Who would of thought we could of been to the Super Bowl every year by changing one thing...Cam Cameron. Like we said before EVERY QB or team has gotten better after Cam left. Drew Bree's turning Elite, the Dolphins making the Playoffs after firing Cam and going 1-15, and what a coincidence...Joe is balling(12 TDs, 1 Int) since Caldwell turned OC.

Caldwell staying is just another great thing for the Ravens. Caldwell has been a great addition to the Ravens I wish we could have had him calling the plays all this year.

I think Cam has a great offensive mind and put a really good offensive system in place. His play selection and lack of patience at times is what really did him in. I think Jim works better with Joe because he allows Joe to have more input to the offense than Cam did

Great move to hire Castillo by FO and John...

COngrats Caldwell...I am very excited to have you stayed in Baltimore for awhile. You are da best in tandem with Joe.....

[quote name='BmoreB' timestamp='1358812078' post='1324882']
Caldwell = MVP of the coaching staff

Does Cameron still get a ring after we win ? Or does he just get some SB cuflinks ? :)
[/quote]

Sometime I just shake my head at "absolute" statements like this! Jim Calwell didn't do anything extraordinary, BmoreB, except make us better!

As for Cam,................................... No, oh hades to the NO!

I am so glad that Jim Caldwell came to the Ravens, and he is really making a difference, and we have to finish this Ravens and get the Lombardi Trophy baby, have to stay focused on the Super Bowl and Lets go Ravens baby!!

Very happy to see Jim staying. I truly like him as a coach, and he seems like a great person. I was a little worried about the J Castillo hiring at first, thinking Pees may be gone. When all is said and done this year, D Pees did as good a job as was humanly possible, considering all the injuries he had to work around. Glad he is staying as well.

[quote name='ravensdog86' timestamp='1358812483' post='1324894']
Flacco Caldwell Upgrade O-Line= Handcuffs Off, Flacco "ELITE"
[/quote]

Well said Tonto

We hired Castillo as "offensive assistant" and "run-game coordinator". I'm pretty sure that means Moeller is out as O-line coach and Castillo is in. He is a fantastic coach but we had to grab him before someone else did without shaking up and causing drama by firing a coach right before the Super Bowl.

[quote name='Zeus' timestamp='1358812648' post='1324900']
Juan castilio he was a terrible in Philly, is this a good idea?
[/quote]

Just spend some time to read the Eagles fans' comments about Castillo and his release back then...

I'm not sure at all he was the real problem there. The fans obviously didn't think so. And i guess they know the situation better than us.

bio

PS, oh, something... remember tha Ravens-fan who said the Ravens "[i]already look[/i](ed) [i]defeated[/i]" after the first quarter? What do you think about it now?

[quote name='dhstandard' timestamp='1358815494' post='1324965']
We hired Castillo as "offensive assistant" and "run-game coordinator". I'm pretty sure that means Moeller is out as O-line coach and Castillo is in. He is a fantastic coach but we had to grab him before someone else did without shaking up and causing drama by firing a coach right before the Super Bowl.
[/quote]

Dunno... the O-line has been pretty good lately. It only needed McKinnie back on the turf - and it seems to be a generally accepted "fact" that McKinnie was kinda banished to the bench by Harbaugh, not Moeller...

bio

Congrats to Jim. We waited a long time to get a good OC, and we finally have one. It feels great to say that we finally have a high powered offense.

Great move for now , hope we get another ring from him before someone picks him up after another championship. He will be a head coach the following year.unless we have big money to pay him which we do not have Go Ravens.

This was a no brainer move to keep Jim Caldwell. Finally we have the offense we all have dreamed of! Really happy for Joe and cant wait to see his future growth and development as a player. A true sign of positive things to come!

cam cameron was to predictable. if armchair qb's in the bar can see the plays you know the other team could. then it happen. the best thing to happen to flacco and his career. cameron, offensive tyrant-the my way or high way, gets fired. and the total infusion of caldwell. the man that had such a positive influence on once of the best qb's ever will allow flacco to grow and become one of the best in baltimore's history. maybe nfl's?

What we are witnessing here my fellow fans is very rare indeed, sometimes its great foresight from the front office and staff, sometimes its blind luck and happenstance but one thing for sure it is not, it isn't made up, yes, the belief, the will and the selflessness by ALL the players is GENUINE!!!!

Congrats, Jim. Glad to have you while we can ... Have to wonder if Castillo isn't being groomed for the OC in 2014, given Jim will likely get an HC job shortly after the Ravens win the Super Bowl in 2014!

now that we have confirmed for caldwell PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAASE lets resign anquan boldin after this season....this guy is finally being used the way he was supposed to and hes just still to much of a beast

A run game coordinator? Is that like a new job description? I hope Will Montgomery is staying back to coach the RBs right?

[quote name='emarc' timestamp='1358825806' post='1325249']
now that we have confirmed for caldwell PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAASE lets resign anquan boldin after this season....this guy is finally being used the way he was supposed to and hes just still to much of a beast
[/quote]Boldin's contract is not up this year

Yessssss Caldwell is staying. Castillo will probably be groomed for the offensive line coach. Great news for the future of the Ravens.

For a guy that was thrown into the fire, Congrats ! WELL DESERVED. Clutch guy who seems to connect well with #5. The future is bright folks, always was.

It still amazes me that Cam Cameron was here for so long and couldn't get it done Caldwell takes over and BOOM..WOW!Go Ravens!

This is good. Now he'll be able to develop his own system and really work with this group of very talented men. You can even see now, just by the numbers alone, what a difference Caldwell has made. Ravens have been lighting it up in the playoffs, and Flacco is now not only elite, but THE best QB in the league. He's playing out of his freaking mind.

A lot of the credit goes to Caldwell. Glad he's staying.

@ellicottraven- yes. Harbaugh said we aren't losing any coaches. Castillo is coordinating the running schemes of which the offensive line will have to follow (hence he's a offensive line coach) It's not necessarily a new job description. He's just the only big name to have acquired the position as of recently. And all teams don't carry one I'm guessing. Could be good for us

I have no idea what to think of Juan Castillo. He was a mediocre O-line coach, then a terrible defense coach, now his a RB coach?

He lost alot of respect from his defense players. Im not sure he has anything in him to fit the culture of our organization.

to be honest i dont see Caldwell Leaving for awhile this is such a great organization to be in ,and its more about forming that Bond with Flacco ect ,Coaching may not be his top priority alot of headaches involved ,and besides he has a knack for play calling ,this Castillo i dont know a whole lot about him,,but he may be grooming to be a Def cord one day if pees were to take the HC job somewhere ,i think this was a smart move ,he may not have fit in Phily ,but lol not alot of coaches do fit in Phily ,theres to many ego's over there thats a issue with there organization ,but who cares about them,i think he would fit in better here ,but as we all learned this year ,and i always think goes over looked is your cord has to have a bond Off cord with the QB and offense and def cord with defense ,i mean why do you think Ray Reed and everyone didnt want Rex to leave ,hes clearly not coaching material ,but he was a great def cord and had a bond with the players ,thats all Flacco needed Cameron never was supportive ,and i believe if he goes anywhere he will fail,,Ravens have a great thing here ,now lets win this SB we have already surpassed all the doubters who thought we couldnt get here ,lets send Ray Out How he should be sent out,Go Ravens.

[quote name='DarkKnight52' timestamp='1358835769' post='1325466']
to be honest i dont see Caldwell Leaving for awhile this is such a great organization to be in ,and its more about forming that Bond with Flacco ect [/quote]

Well, he said multiple times that he would consider HC offers if he got any (understood, that's the top job in the business, which good coach wouldn't like to be a HC...). But, since coaches can only be formally and legally contacted by other teams after their franchises are out of the race, to our luck all the HC vacancies have been filled before any HC-needy team had any chance to negotiate with him - if any had the plans to. We'll probably never know - just like we'll probably never know what would have happened if he indeed received any offer for HC.

bio

[quote name='Ravenseconbeast' timestamp='1358832689' post='1325429']
I have no idea what to think of Juan Castillo. He was a mediocre O-line coach, then a terrible defense coach, now his a RB coach?

He lost alot of respect from his defense players. Im not sure he has anything in him to fit the culture of our organization.
[/quote]

Well, he's more of a consultant right now than a full-fledged member of the coaching staff. Of course he won't make much of a change and difference this season. Many people see this hiring as kind of "booking" him to prevent other teams from snatching the guy, and make him the O-line coach the next season. This is pure speculation now, of course. But... Though the O-oline has been pretty solid lately, generally speaking we have an average efficiency O-line. Birk will probably be out the next season, probably replaced by Gradkowski (no considerable C in the UFA-market this time). McKinnie will also be out probably. That means 40% of the O-line gone. Perfect time to insert a new O-line coach if you want change there...

bio