Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ellicottraven

Juan Castillo hired as offensive consultant!

110 posts in this topic

Juan Castillo was an O-line coach with the Eagles for a long time and he was very good at it. I always believed he would come here after he was fired by Reid as D-Coordinator. So, I think he will continue into next year in some capacity! What do you guys think about the hire?

[quote name='INRavensgirl' timestamp='1358804701' post='1324654']
Seriously????? I would have much rather seen Zorn come back as QB coach.
[/quote]Now that Cam is gone, it is a distinct possibility - however, isn't Caldwell the QB coach that emphasizes on fundamentals? How many different coaches do you want teaching various different ways of playing QB????

This is actually a really good hire for the guys dismissing it. Castillo is a VERY established Oline coach. Why the hell Reid hired him to be a DC I'll never know, but the guy knows how Olines work and their interactions in the trenches.

He'll likely help with identifying the OT we take in the first 2 rounds in the upcoming draft.

[quote name='ellicottraven' timestamp='1358804846' post='1324656']
Now that Cam is gone, it is a distinct possibility - however, isn't Caldwell the QB coach that emphasizes on fundamentals? How many different coaches do you want teaching various different ways of playing QB????
[/quote]

Touche', salesman! Not long after I posted that, I remembered that Caldwell has the OC/QB coach thing going on. *facepalm*

So if Castillo comes here does that put out a warning to Moeller? I think Andy's been doing a fine job with the OL....not his fault guys have gotten hurt.

[quote name='Moderator 6' timestamp='1358805197' post='1324679']
Not sure how I feel about this move, but [b]I do not like the timing of it one bit.[/b]
[/quote]

Neither do I.

[quote name='Moderator 6' timestamp='1358805197' post='1324679']
Not sure how I feel about this move, but I do not like the timing of it one bit.
[/quote]
Why? I don't think it's that big of a deal.

He must've worked with John when he was with the Eagles. I think we've all wondered about our O-line coaching through these last few years. This is a good hire. Anyone who doesn't think so is probably thinking of him as a defensive coordinator.

Same reaction we got from picking up Zorn after him being fired. Or Caldwell (by some) after his firing. How'd those turn out?

[quote name='INRavensgirl' timestamp='1358804701' post='1324654']
Seriously????? I would have much rather seen Zorn come back as QB coach.
[/quote]

Why? Joe not playing good enough for ya?

Some people love to over-react lol. He's not a QB coach! We are about to go up against one of the toughest front 7's in the league. If we can have some additional input as to how our run game in particular can improve I'm all for it.

Just got a text saying that Caldwell will remain the OC next year and that Mr. Castillo was "added as a consultant." Not sure what to make of this, as I'm still awash in SB fever...I'll digest this after we digest San Francisco.

[quote name='awholelottahaloti' timestamp='1358805619' post='1324699']
Why? Joe not playing good enough for ya?
[/quote]

:lol: I'm not a Flacco hater! And Joe is playing lights out!! What do any of us have to complain about in that department? :)

[quote name='INRavensgirl' timestamp='1358805958' post='1324714']
:lol: I'm not a Flacco hater! And Joe is playing lights out!! What do any of us have to complain about in that department? :)
[/quote]

So why would we need Zorn? just sayin'. Why fool with success.

He was hired as a "run-game consultant" for next season. He'll likely just be on the sidelines for the Super Bowl. No harm in hiring him now. He won't have any input most likely.

He's in to help the Oline fellas. Everyone needs to calm. Castillo is an Oline guy, thats all he is and thats what he's good at. Reid hired him to be the DC for reasons unknown.

He is a VERY good Oline coach. Another set of eyes with breaking down the SF front 7 for pass protections and run blocking will help. Castillo was also the Oline guy in Philly when they had Westbrook (similar guy to Rice) and structured their Oline in how to block for Westbrook.

Even 2 years later, I [i]still [/i]never understood why the Eagles would make Juan Castillo their defensive coordinator; but, I guess that's the Philadelphia Eagles for ya...

However, the hiring of Castillo was a wise move, going forward. In fact, if anything, Castillo will actually help the Ravens offensive line prepare for the 49ers pass rush (assuming he's eligible to start working for the team, right now). There has been no indication that Andy Moeller is going to get replaced, anyways; Juan Castillo's job is offensive consultant and he brings a lot of knowledge, with him, to even improve Baltimore's o-line and running game.