Ravens Schedule Coming Today!

The Ravens will announce their 2014 regular season schedule today at 8:00 pm ET. More Info ยป
Close

Photo

Analysis of the 49ers defense

• Please log in to reply
412 replies to this topic

#1 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

Bond, James Bond. 007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,613 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:37 AM

Many of us know, Kap and Gore are not much of a problem. But I have heard many call this D the best since OUR Baltimore D in 2000. So naturally I got to the bottom of it.

DLine

Justin Smith- All pro. Great player, but like Ray, he tore his Triceps and is not the same player.
Sopoaga- Probably the most underrated DT in the NFL. Good solid NT, but not nearly the player Wilfork was
They have Ian Williams who is also solid.

So is this better than the Adams Goose thing going on? HELL NO! In fact, that DLine is only mediocre.

Where that D excels is the LB corps

That entire corps is basically the all pro team.
Willis is the undisputed best in the game. I have even heard some call him better than Ray was in his prime (not a chance in hell), but he is the best.

Bowman is the best coverage LB in the NFL. Great coverage guy.

Brooks is a great run defender

Smith is a beast.

However, they are reliant on Willis to do most of the work vs the run. Pierce and Rice are hard to contain. We might have a chance of being successful vs them

Where the Defense is overrated is the secondary

Desean is a great Saftey, but seriously? The rest of that secondary isnt that great

Rodgers benefits from a great pass rush.
The Other DBs have gotten beat by the Seahawks and Pats WR. You can pass vs them

With that said, it isn't easy with the pressure the LBs put on the QB.

The key to this game will be the oline. If they can protect Joe, that D will be ripped to shreds. This is a big if however, as handling Smith, Willis, Brooks, and Aldon is no easy task. I will put it into presepective

Justin isn't getting past Mckinnie at his current condition.
Osemele has a huge task helping vs Brooks/Willis. This is where the game will be won/lost, containing these two is a huge task
Birk should take out Sopoaga.
Yanda vs anyone is Yanda
And Oher who contained Von Miller, should do good vs Aldon.

IF, the line can protect Joe, I will say it, I don't think the game will be close. We have too many weapons for them to handle. Their DBs have been embarrassed the last two weeks. That is where they will lose the game.

Edited by Mr. Irrelevant, 21 January 2013 - 02:39 AM.

#2 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,159 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:41 AM

Gore not much of a problem? Ha

2 problems...49ers run game, 49ers run d. Its going to very tough
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#3 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Mintberry Crunch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:42 AM

They've had difficulty with Wilson and Ryan. They made Turner look 5 years younger. Overall, I think the chinnks in their armor have been exposed this postseason. Flacco should be able to slowly but surely tear apart SF's pass defense with a combination of short-yardage dumpoffs and bombs on the perimeter, interspersed with some rushes for relief.

Honestly, I am surprised that you (Poe) got second. After the draft I thought your team was doomed for failure.

You get used to it. Even posts that don't violate the rules aren't safe.

Ray Guy to the NFL Hall of Fame

#4 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

Bond, James Bond. 007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,613 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:44 AM

Gore not much of a problem? Ha

2 problems...49ers run game, 49ers run d. Its going to very tough

Ray and Ellerbe won't allow that to happen.

That Run D though..... Lots of hell could come

#5 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Mintberry Crunch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:44 AM

I think Oher will be the X-factor in defending the pass rush. Here's hoping he's ready for the beasts in SF's front.

Honestly, I am surprised that you (Poe) got second. After the draft I thought your team was doomed for failure.

#6 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

Bond, James Bond. 007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,613 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:50 AM

I think Oher will be the X-factor in defending the pass rush. Here's hoping he's ready for the beasts in SF's front.

He contains the greater threat in Miller

#7 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,159 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:50 AM

Ray and Ellerbe won't allow that to happen.

That Run D though..... Lots of hell could come

I sure hope so. But 49ers running game is no joke. Ours is still suspect even though we've been improving alot the last few games. But we didn't face a run game like theirs since then.

Edited by Ravens<3, 21 January 2013 - 02:50 AM.

2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#8 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Mintberry Crunch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:51 AM

He contains the greater threat in Miller

Yeah, a lot's riding on Oher's play. Luckily, he's been doing pretty good at RT.

#9 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

Bond, James Bond. 007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,613 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:55 AM

I sure hope so. But 49ers running game is no joke. Ours is still suspect even though we've been improving alot the last few games. But we didn't face a run game like theirs since then.

Ray Lewis = most intellegent football player in NFL history on D.
He will contain Gore if it kills him. Plus Suggs is here too.

#10 Yatagarasu

Yatagarasu

The Crow-God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,552 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:00 AM

Their secondary is very suspect.

If we're going to win this game, it's going to be through Flacco's arm. Matt Ryan was having a field day in the first half against the 49ers.

49ers are built to stop the run, so I think we're going to have to establish the pass first to make Rice and Pierce punch through their line.

#11 codizzle

codizzle

Director of Admissions- BSHU

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,791 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

To ur op post Irrevelant

This D doesn't beat our 2006 D.. Don't go back to 2000
Just WIN Out!!!

6f3898d1-1b88-4209-a3a5-ed7fe2348d4b.jpg

+35

#12 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

Bond, James Bond. 007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,613 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:06 AM

To ur op post Irrevelant

This D doesn't beat our 2006 D.. Don't go back to 2000

Living in SF. We get so much hype in the Irrelevant household. This Defense isnt allowed in the same sentence with the 2000 one

#13 indianstick

indianstick

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:31 AM

Their D is gonna be tough but their running game is going to be just as tough. Not only do they have ridiculous power schemes, frank gore is an extremely hard runner and now they have their change of pace back in lamichael james (who i thought was going to serve that role throughout the whole season when they drafted him in round 2). The key will be stopping their run game
(and containing kaepernick off of the zone read) and then eliminating the freak of nature vernon davis out of the passing game.

Back to their D, their front 7 is scary. Our line and our backs have to be on top of their game in order to make the necessary plays. I think flacco will be alright as long as he has time to go through his reads.

#14 RavensFanInCA

RavensFanInCA

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,365 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:54 AM

If we're talking about the 49ers Defense, who's different on their defense this year vs. last year? Nobody as far as I know, other than Aldon Smith plays most snaps now instead of being situational.

#15 Guest_wasabiebird_*

Guest_wasabiebird_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:08 AM

Their secondary is very suspect.

If we're going to win this game, it's going to be through Flacco's arm. Matt Ryan was having a field day in the first half against the 49ers.

49ers are built to stop the run, so I think we're going to have to establish the pass first to make Rice and Pierce punch through their line.

I'm not concerned the falcons did a good job shutting the 49er's down in the first half . I agree with you 100 percent. I think the broncos have a better defense most definitely a better pass rush and Joe will have a field day picking apart that secondary

Edited by wasabiebird, 21 January 2013 - 05:08 AM.

#16 Purple Pain

Purple Pain

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:38 AM

49ers D was getting beat pretty easily by the Falcons Offense for most of the game. Matt Ryan choked hard in the 4th. The Dbs on that team are not that good. Goldson is a good run defender, but can be beat in the passing game.
Posted Image

#17 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,168 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

With Justin Smith sporting a torn tricep their dline will be a step down from the Pats, but they can cover any lack of push up front with their linebackers who are all stout and athletic. I'm expecting a lot of disguised run blitzing.

#18 Tank 92

Tank 92

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

I have faith in Caldwell to plan an attack that will be effective against the niners. He's done a pretty good job the past 3 games and if the O line does their job we should be fine.

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#19 JohnnyBoy8102

JohnnyBoy8102

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

An odd thing I noticed is that Willis was taken out in some pass coverage packages when they played the Packers both times.

Correct me I am wrong, but I NEVER remember Ray (Willis' idol, mentor, & favorite player) come out when he was in his prime in ANY package.
"There are six, seven players in front of me [financially] at my position that I honestly wouldn't let hold my jock, and I don't even wear one."- Ed Reed

"Your a joke." -Mr. GM

#20 frank21054

frank21054

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

This will be the hardest hitting Super Bowl in a long long time. Should be great with Pollard and Goldsen exchanging shots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users