Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cobrajet

Can the Ravens defense stop "The Pistol" offense?

44 posts in this topic

San Fransico has a whole new offense with Colin Kaepernick. Can we figure out what no one else has been able to really effectively do lately and that is how to stop that pistol offense they run. We know we can beat those elite pocket passers, because the last two weeks proves it, but we had trouble with young moble QB's in the past (remember RGIII). Maybe Haloti can deliver a big hit in two weeks :)

At least our defense should be healed up and rested with two weeks off.

Pop in the RG3 tapes, maybe some Mike Vick, and play better than you did in those games!

WIth 2 weeks to prepare I'm pretty confident we can. We didn't do too bad against RG3 (take away that 1st quarter) if I remember correctly

To be honest it's difficult to stop when guys like Wilson, Kaepernick, and RGIII are running it. I think what could help is if the whole line crashes down in an almost slant like fashion towards the strong side. The obvious problem is it leaves cut back lanes if the line gets overzealous in its crash. In that case the ILB need to be extremely disciplined. But if you can do it in an almost "squeezing" fashion it can bottle up both the QB and HB at the same time because it extends the edge.

Having said that it won't leave much for pass rushing on those downs.

[quote name='BALTIMOREFLACCO' timestamp='1358744564' post='1323211']
WIth 2 weeks to prepare I'm pretty confident we can. We didn't do too bad against RG3 (take away that 1st quarter) if I remember correctly
[/quote]

What I remember the most about that game was letting Kirk Cousins throw a TD pass at the end and letting Alfred Morris run for over 100 yards on us.

[quote name='Ravenslifer' timestamp='1358744834' post='1323233']

What I remember the most about that game was letting Kirk Cousins throw a TD pass at the end and letting Alfred Morris run for over 100 yards on us.
[/quote]
With no Lewis and Suggs, and even a limited Reed. I like our odds

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1358744966' post='1323246']
With no Lewis and Suggs, and even a limited Reed. I like our odds
[/quote]
Ngata was like 60% capacity that game too.

[quote name='izvoodoo' timestamp='1358745118' post='1323256']

Ngata was like 60% capacity that game too.
[/quote]
Has Kap faced another great D since the Seahawks. Kap also screws up under pressure. Oh and btw, that D has not done well against QBs all year

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1358745323' post='1323268']
Has Kap faced another great D since the Seahawks. Kap also screws up under pressure. Oh and btw, that D has not done well against QBs all year
[/quote]
Chicago. St.Louis ' defense has it's bright spots.
He torched Chicago though. The big thing will be putting points.

WE'RE IN THE SUPERBOWL!

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1358745323' post='1323268']
[/quote]
I think you have a good point, it worked great against the Packers - but their defense is dreadful!

Colin Kaepernick is certainly going to provide a very different test to the ones we've faced in the last 3 weeks. Luck, Manning and Brady are all prototype pocket passers. Kaepernick is a completely different animal.

I have confidence in Dean Pees ability to gameplan and the players ability to execute whatever gameplan he comes up with. Kaepernick's speed is going to be a problem for us I think, but Kaepernick has not faced a defense in the play-offs that has as much savvy and experience as our defense has. We'll find ways to confuse him I'm sure.

[quote name='izvoodoo' timestamp='1358745543' post='1323277']

Chicago. St.Louis ' defense has it's bright spots.
He torched Chicago though. The big thing will be putting points.

WE'RE IN THE SUPERBOWL!
[/quote]
Chicago was old. They didn't make the playoffs[quote name='cobrajet' timestamp='1358745654' post='1323281']

I think you have a good point, it worked great against the Packers - but their defense is dreadful!
[/quote]
That D sucked

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1358745785' post='1323288']
Chicago was old. They didn't make the playoffs
That D sucked
[/quote]

I'm more worried about Gore and the smith brothers.

Surely Art Jones should be starting? Kemo looked ineffective and the two times I saw Cody he got blown up.

[quote name='izvoodoo' timestamp='1358745822' post='1323290']
[/quote]
[quote name='izvoodoo' timestamp='1358745822' post='1323290']
[/quote]
Yeah he can be a beast and we had trouble with Morris, who is another beast.

[quote name='cobrajet' timestamp='1358744429' post='1323193']
San Fransico has a whole new offense with Colin Kaepernick. Can we figure out what no one else has been able to really effectively do lately and that is how to stop that pistol offense they run. We know we can beat those elite pocket passers, because the last two weeks proves it, but we had trouble with young moble QB's in the past (remember RGIII). Maybe Haloti can deliver a big hit in two weeks :)

At least our defense should be healed up and rested with two weeks off.
[/quote]

One word to you Question.

YES!!!!!!!!

i bet ray lewis already watched the tape of the 9ers against the falcons.

we will be prepared. it is gonna be the last game of the general on the biggest stage in professional sports. we will win this one!!!

“[i]Denzel[/i]” Line: “[i]We didn't land on Plymouth Rock[/i]. Plymouth Rock landed on us!”

Does the pistol offense have an answer for the Ravens D when we hit em in the mouth??

Our coaches will have a gameplan vs. Kaep.

Our players need to execute it. I hope we dont sleep on the 9ers, bc this team will test us big time. Especially their front 7 and their exhaustive offensive running game.

We need to find ways to dominate their O-line and close out opening holes for vs. running game.

The 2 week rest and planning will be key. Use all the defensive minds, Ray and Ed included and try to think of something. Offense can't have drives like earlier in the Patriots game. I know everyone says it would be great if th defense shuts em out, but I think we might need to give our defense a little slack this week. This rest should really help our guys out too.

Pretty sure we can come up with something, 2 weeks ago the question was can we stop Peyton, well he had a good game but we beat them, then it was that we cant stop the ¨best offense¨ in the NFL, they had 0 points in the 2nd half...

This D is in a superior level of confidence and that leads to great execution, with 2 weeks to get them all rest and healthy, plus preparation and gameplan we will be ready

Our defense is full of experience. They can figure it out and they will. They aren't going to let some second year guy deprive them of their rings.

I'm familiar with Kaepernick since his college days. All I can tell you is you have to make the 49ers beat you through the air and not through the ground. Kaepernick in open space is a no-no, so we have to treat him like Vick or RGIII. We got this far, so we should have an effective gameplan to limit Kaepernick as a runner and make him into a pocket passer. Usually, the best way to beat the pistol is not bite on the misdirection handoff and just stick to your gap and make the runner come to you, not the toher way around. It requires a discipline defense with LBs who can wrap up tackle. The pistol is made for big plays, not for small gains.

It's a shame that this is the year our run defense is suspect, but I have faith our team will find ways to win games.

Discipline is the key but that's easier said than done. Ed needs to never come up for run support, just stay deep for the PA seams for Davis and Walker. Our front 7 has to come to play and I can see Upshaw and Suggs having a good outing come game time b/c they will be the biggest keys. I can see us playing a lot of Cover 1 with Pollard coming down into the box for run support. Thinking about their offense really makes you dig down deep b/c what the read option/pistol offense does is it simplyfies things for the QB b/c it's hard to get creative vs it b/c you can get tourched. On the flip side, you want to make things look complicated for Kap.................

I'd have Ellerbe, Ray or even Pollard spying him the majority of passing downs. Not that that will solve everything but it force him to scan the field a half-second longer in some situations.

A lot of people I notice are bringing up Vick and RGIII - the thing about both of those games is I felt the running backs, McCoy and Morris, had the more impressive day than their quarterbacks, and that's what killed us. McCoy carried for 25 times, which I think tired the D out, and Morris had the rock 23 times for over 120 yards. I think a huge key to this game for us is going to be stopping Frank Gore - I think if we do that we'll be in great position to win the game.

I think ideally we play Ngata, Jones, McPhee on the front line primarily on the line. All 3 stepped up last night and all 3 have been forcing "hell" lately.

[quote name='Dudeman' timestamp='1358749205' post='1323433']
“[i]Denzel[/i]” Line: “[i]We didn't land on Plymouth Rock[/i]. Plymouth Rock landed on us!”

Does the pistol offense have an answer for the Ravens D when we hit em in the mouth??
[/quote]
This is an awesome post!

Your best chance is do what atlanta did, and try to contain Kaep and try to make him beat you with his arm. Unfortunately, he has a great one and some very good targets, so selling all out to contain him will expose something else, like vernon davis to open coverage.

You just have to force Kaep to hand it to Gore/James and have faith that the front seven can contain [i]them.[/i] If they can't then that leaves Kaep the option to keep it because we can't stop the other.

"They won't be able to handle a real defense." (Broncos)
"They won't be able to handle the hurry-up offense." (Patriots)

And now this? The 49ers are a good team, but after the last three playoff wins, I'm pretty confident in the team's ability to go all the way and win big.

Colon better be careful of going against Ngata. His running could seriously get him hurt. Don't forget Bernard Pollard.

2 weeks to prepare and they have tape of redskins game, damn skippy they can. Go Ravens!

If we can contain Gore and the running game, we'll force the 49ers to be one dimensional. It's a tough order, easier said than done, but I like our chances.

You also beat Kaepernick by keeping him on the bench.

Bill Cowher asked the same question...(he's starting to get on my nerves btw, not the OP, though)

If we can hold Coach Hoody and Tom Terrific to 13 points, in their house, I believe we can stop the wildcat, option-read, Kaepernick two- step or whatever they're calling it. They can amass all the yardage they like but I think we can keep them OUT OF THE ENDZONE which is all that really matters.

Have the OLB/DEs hit Kaepernick whether he hands off or not. He'll get the message sooner or later.

Kaepernick may have early sucess but one he takes a few hits from the Ravens, I think he will start to fold. And he better not try a long run when Pollard is patrolling the field.

Pollard needs to keep an eye in the backfield at all times. He can/will be a difference maker once again!

Absolutely they can stop it.

This is a disciplined defense, remember they trashed the wildcat when it was all the rage on what compared to Super Bowl week was short notice. They've got a few weeks to prepare they'll have a plan.