Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

atljbo

Flacco, Ryan seek fans' respect

83 posts in this topic

[quote][b] Flacco, Ryan seek fans' respect[/b]

[url="http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Joe-Flacco-Matt-Ryan-seek-Super-Bowl-ring-to-gain-acclaim-in-successful-careers-011613"]http://msn.foxsports...-careers-011613[/url]
[/quote]

This is a very good article.... I know in the past falcons and Ravens fans has went at eash other throats to justify why our QB is better... One side feel the other side gets more props then the other side... Both are in their 5th year....Im past the Flacco vs Ryan thing... We should be comparing these guys to the Brady's Rodgers, Brees, and Mannings.... I feel like neither of these guys get enough respect.... If both can take care of their business tomorrow.... The league will have to take notice.

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]This was a great article. Really puts things into perspective. I guess I shouldn't be so hard on Matt Ryan when he's being snubbed just as much as Joe.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]As the article said, I think anything less than a Super Bowl win and they'll never be recognized for the great talents they are.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]That's just sad.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]If we were to lose in Foxborough this weekend and the Falcons make a trip to the Super Bowl, I may root for Matty Ice.[/i][/font]

How awesome would that be for both these underrated QB's to make the superbowl. we win of course . I would be very curious to see what the sports commentators would say then . The article is right I have followed the coverage all week its all about the 49ers and the patriots even when they interview our players its about the patriots . niether of these guys get credit .

[quote name='wasabiebird' timestamp='1358653015' post='1318035']
How awesome would that be for both these underrated QB's to make the superbowl. we win of course . I would be very curious to see what the sports commentators would say then . The article is right I have followed the coverage all week its all about the 49ers and the patriots even when they interview our players its about the patriots . niether of these guys get credit .
[/quote]

Ive noticed the same thing went some of our players interviews ive seen today that took place this week.... It was more about the 49ers then asking about our own team.

[quote name='atljbo' timestamp='1358653751' post='1318040']
Ive noticed the same thing went some of our players interviews ive seen today that took place this week.... It was more about the 49ers then asking about our own team.
[/quote]a close friend is a sports reporter and he said . Flacco could play the patriots shut them out hang 40 points on them and it will be more about how Brady lost then about Flacco winning he told me that monday i said nope when Flacco wins this game they will respect him and have to recognize him but now, after this week i think hes right . and thats not ok to me

I'd prefer BAL-ATL to The HarBowl, personally, just so that this debate gets solved once and for all!

[quote name='CosmicRedPanda' timestamp='1358650486' post='1318017']
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]If we were to lose in Foxborough this weekend and the Falcons make a trip to the Super Bowl, I may root for Matty Ice.[/i][/font]
[/quote]

I definitely will be in that scenario

There's been a lot of talk about Flacco and Ryan. They're pretty similar in that they both get the job done and don't get enough credit. And obviously the Matt Ryan playoff thing was overblown. There's always something that people say a QB can't do, until he does it. So what's the point? Flacco used to get criticism about sucking in the postseason. 3 years later and people are calling the postseason his strong suit. Matt Ryan is going to be the same.

For the record, since the article talks about no one believing in the Falcons before September, I did have the Falcons going 13-3. I paid attention. I knew where their offense would be and I knew they would win a playoff game.

They both are starting to get credit though. The old class of elites/near elites (Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Rivers, Cutler, Romo) are likely on the downswing and P. Manning, and Brady won't be around for too much longer. Flacco and Ryan will be at the top one day.

Nice to see Ravens fans giving Ryan respect. Too bad the same can't be said about Falcons fans:

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/3969460-flacco-ryan-seek-fans-respect/

I've said from the jump, the ONLY reason I root against Ryan is because Falcons fans have this ridiculous bitterness towards Flacco.

[quote name='ratedr' timestamp='1358660165' post='1318112']
Nice to see Ravens fans giving Ryan respect. Too bad the same can't be said about Falcons fans:

[url="http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/3969460-flacco-ryan-seek-fans-respect/"]http://boards.atlant...k-fans-respect/[/url]

I've said from the jump, the ONLY reason I root against Ryan is because Falcons fans have this ridiculous bitterness towards Flacco.
[/quote]
be the bigger person.... Most Falcons fans are not like that... Some are saying what im saying.... Some dont like flacco... I mean in the other team game day thread most root for Ryan to fail during game days on here.... Its both sides.... Just move past it.... Like said both perform in their schemes and deserve their props.

Once both guys earn they respect.. Both sides will get past it.

Just honestly speaking.. I think Flacco will get his full props after this year (Ray retire) .... If yall win it all most will give him his props but allot will say yall won because Ray lifted yall with his return..... Just like i feel about Ryan... Screw who ever dont like your QB.... But im not gonna hate flacco just because a raven fan hates Ryan... I might think Ryan is better but i cant take away from what Flacco has done... I will give his props.

To all falcon fans who believe Matt Ryan would flourish on the ravens and would have won the games we lost in the playoffs, I have two words for you, cam Cameron.

I doubt Matt could handle the air Coryell( he does not have the arm).

Now flacco would put up huge numbers in a falcon offense centered around the quarterback with TWO elite wrs and HOF tight end.

I like Matt Ryan. He is a top 10 qb and on the same pedestal as flacco as of now. But flacco is just more physically gifted( throw to jacoby that Matt would have lifted in the air to get picked)

[quote name='hawkprey' timestamp='1358657860' post='1318074']
There's been a lot of talk about Flacco and Ryan. They're pretty similar in that they both get the job done and don't get enough credit. And obviously the Matt Ryan playoff thing was overblown. There's always something that people say a QB can't do, until he does it. So what's the point? Flacco used to get criticism about sucking in the postseason. 3 years later and people are calling the postseason his strong suit. Matt Ryan is going to be the same.

For the record, since the article talks about no one believing in the Falcons before September, I did have the Falcons going 13-3. I paid attention. I knew where their offense would be and I knew they would win a playoff game.

They both are starting to get credit though. The old class of elites/near elites (Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Rivers, Cutler, Romo) are likely on the downswing and P. Manning, and Brady won't be around for too much longer. Flacco and Ryan will be at the top one day.
[/quote]But how did you know?

[quote name='atljbo' timestamp='1358661088' post='1318128']
be the bigger person.... Most Falcons fans are not like that... Some are saying what im saying.... Some dont like flacco... I mean in the other team game day thread most root for Ryan to fail during game days on here.... Its both sides.... Just move past it.... Like said both perform in their schemes and deserve their props.

Once both guys earn they respect.. Both sides will get past it.

Just honestly speaking.. I think Flacco will get his full props after this year (Ray retire) .... If yall win it all most will give him his props but allot will say yall won because Ray lifted yall with his return..... Just like i feel about Ryan... Screw who ever dont like your QB.... But im not gonna hate flacco just because a raven fan hates Ryan... I might think Ryan is better but i cant take away from what Flacco has done... I will give his props.
[/quote]

Hate to say this, but you are one of very few Falcons fans that dont mock Flacco. There is a lot of people on those boards whose resentment to Flacco is just straight up unreasonable.

But for the record, I'm pulling for a Bird Bowl. I want to see the two best up and coming QBs in the league go head to head in February.

[quote name='flynismo' timestamp='1358663665' post='1318153']

Hate to say this, but you are one of very few Falcons fans that dont mock Flacco. There is a lot of people on those boards whose resentment to Flacco is just straight up unreasonable.

But for the record, I'm pulling for a Bird Bowl. I want to see the two best up and coming QBs in the league go head to head in February.
[/quote]I want that two but there's part of me wants to see flacco rip the san Fran d a new one and then give [you can't say that in these forums].

I mean really, what the heck is this?

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/3968089-the-flacco/page__st__0

Why are they so obsessed?

[quote name='ratedr' timestamp='1358689204' post='1318280']

[url="http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/3968089-the-flacco/page__st__0"]http://boards.atlant...cco/page__st__0[/url]

[/quote]
Sounds like they are still bitter about the fact, Falcons didn't get the best QB in the draft class.

Or the best RB.

Good Job Oz

[quote name='JoeCool#5' timestamp='1358693217' post='1318314']
Sounds like they are still bitter about the fact, Falcons didn't get the best QB in the draft class.

Or the best RB.

Good Job Oz
[/quote]

Exactly right. Most ATL fans that I have seen act like that when it comes to our team.

At least the Falcon fans that come to our forums are decent guys; I like having them here. (They probably come here because they cant stand ATL fans either haha)

[url="http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/3968089-the-flacco/page__st__0"]http://boards.atlant...cco/page__st__0[/url]

[/quote]

I'm with you ratedr. They have more Flacco threads than we do. It's ridiculous. And Matt Ryan has never been under the criticism that Joe has so I don't want to hear any of that. I have nothing against Matt Ryan just his fans.

[/quote]

it would be funny if it wasnt so pathetic

[quote name='BMORE_96' timestamp='1358661866' post='1318136']
[b]To all falcon fans who believe Matt Ryan would flourish on the ravens and would have won the games we lost in the playoffs[/b], I have two words for you, cam Cameron.

I doubt Matt could handle the air Coryell( he does not have the arm).

Now flacco would put up huge numbers in a falcon offense centered around the quarterback with TWO elite wrs and HOF tight end.

I like Matt Ryan. He is a top 10 qb and on the same pedestal as flacco as of now. But flacco is just more physically gifted( throw to jacoby that Matt would have lifted in the air to get picked)
[/quote] It's pretty sad that Falcons fans would throw the rest of their team under the bus like that just to say they got the better quarterback. The QB takes precedence over the other 52 combined.

[/quote]

Actually apparently that thread was made because like you were saying a bunch of Falcon fans were bashing Joe up and down earlier in the season about the usual Ryan/Flacco debate. Apparently a bet was made and if the Ravens won and Joe showed up they'd have to start a thread praising Flacco. Ravens won, Flacco showed up so there ya go! I got a kick out of it.

[quote name='rlh445' timestamp='1358705447' post='1318472']
Actually apparently that thread was made because like you were saying a bunch of Falcon fans were bashing Joe up and down earlier in the season about the usual Ryan/Flacco debate. Apparently a bet was made and if the Ravens won and Joe showed up they'd have to start a thread praising Flacco. Ravens won, Flacco showed up so there ya go! I got a kick out of it.
[/quote]
Yeah that was good.

[quote name='rlh445' timestamp='1358705447' post='1318472']
[/quote]

I was jsut about to say that... Its pretty funny....

Matt Ryan is a good player, I do believe that, but he isn't just good. He is also lucky. Possibly the luckiest quarterback I have ever seen in my life. This guy has receivers get insanely wide open. He has forever and a day to wait back in the pocket. His receivers routinely make circus catches. And when he turns the ball over, his defense gets the ball back without giving up any points.

Anybody watching this game? It's the same as last week. His receivers are getting wide open, they are catching incredibly hard to catch passes, he has an eternity in the pocket, and he turns the ball over multiple times without it really hurting the team. So lucky. To clarify, I don't think the team is lucky. I think the team is incredibly talented and they deserve the success they have. I'm just saying Matt Ryan is lucky as hell to play on that team, to have those guys there to make it easy for him.

[quote name='callahan09' timestamp='1358722209' post='1319134']
Matt Ryan is a good player, I do believe that, but he isn't just good. He is also lucky. Possibly the luckiest quarterback I have ever seen in my life. This guy has receivers get insanely wide open. He has forever and a day to wait back in the pocket. His receivers routinely make circus catches. And when he turns the ball over, his defense gets the ball back without giving up any points.

Anybody watching this game? It's the same as last week. His receivers are getting wide open, they are catching incredibly hard to catch passes, he has an eternity in the pocket, and he turns the ball over multiple times without it really hurting the team. So lucky. To clarify, I don't think the team is lucky. I think the team is incredibly talented and they deserve the success they have. I'm just saying Matt Ryan is lucky as hell to play on that team, to have those guys there to make it easy for him.
[/quote]

Well I guess he can't have infinite luck. Wow, what a game.

Matt Ryan - 2 back to back playoff chokes in a row, sitting at home
Joe Flacco - No INT's in the playoffs and a lombardi waiting

Ryan actually played well, except a really bad turnover that wasn't entirely his fault. His D is just horrendous. Wish the Falcons had won though-- Ravens would have crushed them. The Niners are going to be a much harder win, but the Ravens will do it!

lol... I really dont wanna hear yall dont hope Matt Ryan lose any more...lol.. Good lord... If you really think Matt Ryan choked...lol.. NVM

Good win by Flacco.... He gets my props

This debate has been settled

Ryan
Future hall of fame TE with two elite NFL WR. Still no SB

Flacco
Two great WR, two solid TEs, no weapons like Julio though.
Gets to SB, and if he keeps the hot hand, probably a SB MVP and will go down as one of the greatest young QBs ever.

Joe numbers in the postseason are unreal, he is the boss this year, will be also the next year and as long as he wants to. I see Ryan as the next PM, awesome in regular season and profesional choker in playoffs, the 2nd half against the 9ers was awful

But I guess we are all wrong, because miss Fox says he is clutch :rolleyes: http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8854007/nfl-playoffs-time-give-matt-ryan-due

I can't wait to see ol Skip Bayless make himself look like the end bound end of a west bound mule on his show in having to apologize to Flacco

[quote name='Raving_Heathen' timestamp='1358739755' post='1322849']
Ryan actually played well, [b]except a really bad turnover[/b] that wasn't entirely his fault. His D is just horrendous. Wish the Falcons had won though-- Ravens would have crushed them. The Niners are going to be a much harder win, but the Ravens will do it!
[/quote]

Unfortunately, that's been the story of Matt Ryan's playoff career - he's thrown a pick in every playoff game he's had except the one last year vs. the Giants - however that's the one where his offense couldn't score a single point. And as "horrendous" as his D was, they actually finished ranked higher than the Ravens D did at the end of the regular season in terms of PPG allowed.

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1358751930' post='1323537']
This debate has been settled

Ryan
Future hall of fame TE with two elite NFL WR. Still no SB

Flacco
Two great WR, two solid TEs, no weapons like Julio though.
Gets to SB, and if he keeps the hot hand, probably a SB MVP and will go down as one of the greatest young QBs ever.
[/quote]

We have ONE solid TE.

Ryan played great in the first half of his two playoff games this year, but badly in the second half, and it almost cost his team the game in the first game, and it did last night...

Flacco played fantastically in the second half, and it helped his team win games.

In the 2nd Half

Flacco: 27/45, 447 Yards, 6 TD, 0 INT --> 133.1 QB Rating
Ryan: 24/35, 240 Yards, 1 TD, 2 INT --> 73.5 QB Rating

HUGE difference. And remember that Flacco had 2 road games in that mix, while Ryan had no 2 home games and no road games.

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1358775011' post='1323788']
We have ONE solid TE.
[/quote]

Yep. Look for Oz to beat the bushes with those late round picks. Sadly, it seems that Ed just can't get that grease off of his hands.

[quote name='awholelottahaloti' timestamp='1358778231' post='1323820']

Yep. Look for Oz to beat the bushes with those late round picks. Sadly, it seems that Ed just can't get that grease off of his hands.
[/quote]

Agreed. When he dropped that ball early in the game with us pinned down our own 10, I almost exploded. At least he's a serviceable blocking TE.

Ryan's a good QB, but he's no Joe Flacco. At this point in his career, Ryan lacks the calmness and nerve in the real pressure situations that present themselves in the post season.

All of the "fire" and "rah, rah" stuff is way over rated. Give me a QB that is level headed, not getting too high or too low. That quiet, confident demeanor inspires the confidence that spells success.

glad to see Joe on fire as of late.... he is really stepping it up as is the rest of the team

1 more dance Ray... let´s go out on top

And Matt Ryan still deserves no blame for playoff failings?

Joe Flacco shoulders the blame, deservedly so in some cases. Matt Ryan, the pretty boy, is absolved. 2 second half turnovers, 0 points, and throwing a 3-yd pass on 4th and 4... So tell me how well he played...

[quote name='berad' timestamp='1358782504' post='1323935']
And Matt Ryan still deserves no blame for playoff failings?

Joe Flacco shoulders the blame, deservedly so in some cases. Matt Ryan, the pretty boy, is absolved. 2 second half turnovers, 0 points, and throwing a 3-yd pass on 4th and 4... So tell me how well he played...
[/quote]

All of the "media" recognition is directly linked to their ability to sell. QBs like Ryan, Bob3, Kap, etc. get favored because they are flashy and fit the media sales model. Conversely, Joe being the quiet, humble family man presents the easy target for criticism, even when he wins. Kind of sad what people value in a player and his accomplishments.

[quote name='awholelottahaloti' timestamp='1358778231' post='1323820']
[/quote]

Yeah good character goes a long way but not when you can't do your job. But hey, at least he'll get to play in a Superbowl before he leaves, with that said hopefully he doesn't get too many targets.

[quote name='awholelottahaloti' timestamp='1358783021' post='1323962']
All of the "media" recognition is directly linked to their ability to sell. QBs like Ryan, Bob3, Kap, etc. get favored because they are flashy and fit the media sales model. Conversely, Joe being the quiet, humble family man presents the easy target for criticism, even when he wins. Kind of sad what people value in a player and his accomplishments.
[/quote]

Definitely agree with this. Jaworski put Flacco at #8 in his preseason QB rankings and people freaked!

Joe's personality has been at the heart of a lot of the criticism he takes, too. Being quiet and somewhat reserved in pressers comes off as not caring. Random camera shots of him sitting on the bench means 'he doesn't look at / understand film' (more accurately, the picture stills).

Those things have being squashed big time.

I do think that Matt Ryan would be more accomplished if he was in Baltimore. But not because of having a better defense. It's because the Falcons' organization doesn't have what the Ravens' does. Joe has a tougher locker room. Matty's team doesn't look like it ever has any toughness down the stretch.

[quote name='hawkprey' timestamp='1358785564' post='1324040']
I do think that Matt Ryan would be more accomplished if he was in Baltimore. But not because of having a better defense. It's because the Falcons' organization doesn't have what the Ravens' does. Joe has a tougher locker room. Matty's team doesn't look like it ever has any toughness down the stretch.
[/quote]
that is exactly what i thought.
you have to be a special kind of guy to have success in our system.
like pollard is the prototype defensive player for the ravens.

a poster boy would have never had success in charm city!!

Speaking of respect Tim Hasselbeck who has been popping up on all of the ESPN radio shows today couldn't have less for Flacco. He keeps repeating that Ozzie didn't have confidence in Flacco with his reasoning being that Ozzie didn't attempt to sign him long term and the fact that they fired Cam. I believe both of these are inaccurate as I think they offered a deal to Flacco before the season for around 80 mil if I'm not mistaken. And I don't see how firing Cam means they didn't have confidence in Flacco, if anything it means they were finally willing to take the handcuffs off him; just terrible logic there.

It's amazing how much trash a career backup can talk when given a mic.