Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Is Dannell Ellerbe The Ravens' X-Factor?

54 posts in this topic

The media spotlight is on Ray Lewis. But the most important defender on the field Sunday in New England may be the man next to him – inside linebacker Dannell Ellerbe. Ellerbe will likely be the ...

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Is-Dannell-Ellerbe-The-Ravens-X-Factor-/f3020b8d-826b-4d47-a249-aef3cc56dbbe]View the full article[/url]

Posted · Hidden by Grapple Raven, January 19, 2013 - Off topic · Report post

Ellerbe is a beast... We need to keep him, so the tandem of McClain and Ellerbe will grow strong. Allow Cary Williams go, when Webb comes back his services won't be needed. We need to make keeping both tight ends a goal, look at the pats, Hernandez was the real te doing work, gronk was allowing feeding off of it, gronk did nothing with hernandez out. same in our case, dickson is a bigger factor. cant wait to see what ryan mcbean can do for us. ed reed will most likely head off to san diego. we will need to pick up a fs in the draft. arthur jones and kruger will likely stay. i think the offense will stay the same next year, with some changes in the defense next year.

The combination of Ellerbe and Graham will have an impact on the pat's "bread & butter" short game!

Yet, I am also hoping a name we've said some good things about but not hearlded much, like Courtney Upshaw, makes a tremendous, game-changing impact tomorrow!

Cary Williams, don't you dare mess us over!!!

[quote name='Ngata4President' timestamp='1358611338' post='1317436']
Ellerbe is a beast... We need to keep him, so the tandem of McClain and Ellerbe will grow strong. Allow Cary Williams go, when Webb comes back his services won't be needed. We need to make keeping both tight ends a goal, look at the pats, Hernandez was the real te doing work, gronk was allowing feeding off of it, gronk did nothing with hernandez out. same in our case, dickson is a bigger factor. cant wait to see what ryan mcbean can do for us. ed reed will most likely head off to san diego. we will need to pick up a fs in the draft. arthur jones and kruger will likely stay. i think the offense will stay the same next year, with some changes in the defense next year.
[/quote]

-Yeah Cary will be somewhere else next year, but not just because of Webb but because of what Corey Graham has shown us. I think everyone in Bmore would be fine with the Webb-Graham combo. Plus I think our staff still have faith that jimmy Smith will get better.

Both Pitta and Dickson will be eligible for tenders next season so that will probably be our cheap solution for that problem, at least putting it off for a year.

I don't think the Ravens will let Ed go so easily. I'm sure they want him to stay and if they thought it would be an issue they would have been talking to him already.

I actually don't think that Kruger will be here next year because we'll have sizzle back to terrorizing QBs (if his last game was any indicator) and I think that Upshaw looked even better that Jarret Johnson did in his snaps. Plus Upshaw is versatile.

I'm on the fence with Art, it depends on how much money he wants.

I don't care who comes at ya ...

Simply hit HARD & blow up the play!

Make 'em think twice about doing that again ...
because you have to make them pay if they want to play!!!

WeCan, I kinda agree with your statement "I actually don't think that Kruger will be here next year because we'll have sizzle back to terrorizing QBs (if his last game was any indicator) and I think that Upshaw looked even better that Jarret Johnson did in his snaps. Plus Upshaw is versatile."

While I'm still focused on tomorrow, I will say that if we do in fact lose Kruger, we have Upshaw under his rookie contract for a few years as an up-and-coming star!

But, if Oz opts to sign Kruger, say goodbye to Anquan Boldin as "Cap Casualty" and that breaks my heart! There's always room for a guy like "Q"!

Brady will have a field day tomorrow (Sunday), throwing passes to Cary Williams' side. I agree with Ngata4President,let Cary Williams walk and use that money (5mlns)and the money from Ray Lewis and Ed Reed's to keep Krueger and Ellerbe. We just need another big fellow to play alongside Ngata; Cody is not the answer.

The O-line is great and hopefully we keep B. McKinnie another year. This will give us a year to find a replacement for B McKinnie; M Oher is not the answer and he plays better at RT anyway. Osemele is playing great at LG and Yanda is a BEAST!

And yes, I am anxious to see what Ryan Mcbean and Hamilton can do for our defense next year! Go Ravens!

[quote name='WeCanDoAllThings52' timestamp='1358614335' post='1317462']
-Yeah Cary will be somewhere else next year, but not just because of Webb but because of what Corey Graham has shown us. I think everyone in Bmore would be fine with the Webb-Graham combo. Plus I think our staff still have faith that jimmy Smith will get better.
[/quote]Webb and Graham are more of slot/blitzing corners. You rarely ever see them covering big #1 WRs. That job has been left to Cary, Chykie, and Jimmy cause they're more physical corners. The guy im excited for is Chykie Brown. He's starting to play just as good as Cary and has already beaten out Jimmy Smith. If Cary leaves then I feel like Chykie will be a high candidate to replace him.

Ellerbe has been the straw that stirs the drink for our D this season. We saw the same thing with Sizzle last year, when he is on the whole D is on. And just like Sizzle, Ellerbe can do it all. We've seen him blitz, cover, and chase down the RB. He has that energy that he brings to the team and we've seen it since his rookie season, and now we are starting to see it flourish.

First of all Brady is going to have the time to throw the ball and he's not. The blitz packages will be full scale beat down blitzes. Once sizzle and company get inside Tommy boys head that will tell the story of the game. GO RAVENS 34-20

[quote name='Mystigo_Dragon' timestamp='1358614855' post='1317469']
But, if Oz opts to sign Kruger, say goodbye to Anquan Boldin as "Cap Casualty" and that breaks my heart! There's always room for a guy like "Q"!
[/quote]

Yeah Q was meant to be Raven from day one. His toughness, humble and hard work kind of personality embodies BSHU.

But I think that the FO wants to have our 2011 draft class to shine, all of them have potential. Torrey our next no. 1 the steadily improving speedy playmaker. Doss has a case of the drops but we've seen his potential. We saw Laquan make those crucial 3rd down grabs last year.

Our mistake this year was putting Streeter on IR this year instead of Jah Reid who didn't really contribute to me. I think he is meant to be a tackle and that KO was meant to be a guard.

Posted · Hidden by Moderator 3, January 19, 2013 - Way OT and unsourced · Report post

I know this is off topic but we can rejoice! All of the head coaching jobs have been filed. Halleluya! Halleluya! Halleluya!

Jim Caldwell is here to stay!

And I don NOT think it's wrong to keep someone from seeking another position especially if they are good at their job and you are paying him dam good money! I don't care what you other fans think. I'm thinking as an aggressive businessman!

Jim Caldwell is that guy and hopefully he gets to stay at lest 5 more years or at least until Joe Flacco becomes an elite QB!

[quote name='feartheflock' timestamp='1358615760' post='1317479']
Webb and Graham are more of slot/blitzing corners. You rarely ever see them covering big #1 WRs. That job has been left to Cary, Chykie, and Jimmy cause they're more physical corners. The guy im excited for is Chykie Brown. He's starting to play just as good as Cary and has already beaten out Jimmy Smith. If Cary leaves then I feel like Chykie will be a high candidate to replace him.
[/quote]
Actually we did put Webb on no. 1's much to my chagrin. It depends on who our opponents no. 1 is because if they are short, Webb WILL shut him out every time. His only disadvantage in covering is his height, I actually hope we put him in coverage more than we blitz him.

One thing for sure is that NE depends alot on Welker and he has to be kept under wraps as much as possible. He'll get his catches, for sure. I've always said that I thought that we could use Doss just like they use Welker. We shall see......I'm looking forward to the Harbaugh Bowl.

[quote name='WeCanDoAllThings52' timestamp='1358617004' post='1317503']
Actually we did put Webb on no. 1's much to my chagrin. It depends on who our opponents no. 1 is because if they are short, Webb WILL shut him out every time. His only disadvantage in covering is his height, I actually hope we put him in coverage more than we blitz him.
[/quote]There are no #1 WRs that are short.... well, except Steve Smith and Welker. Webb may cover a #1 for some snaps but he doesn't stay on them for an entire game like Cary Williams does. He's usually in the slot or blitzing. And he even faced a small WR in Greg Little in week 4 and he still gave up some catches to them. If you re-watch that browns game then you'll noticed that Webb would've given up the game winning TD to Little but Greg Little dropped that pass. And we ended up winning by that pick 6 from Williams. Webb is a great corner, its just I wouldn't feel comfortable with him covering #1 WRs for an entire game.

I have a friend who is NOT a Ravens fan... laughed and said to me last week... Once Ray retires, you guys are "screwed"... "You guys are going to need to draft another LB"... He just kept talking about the "only" LB worth looking at was Upshaw, and he was going to be a while... I asked him if he knew ANYTHING about Football... Laughed back at him and asked if he knew who Jameel McClain was... Asked him if he knew who Dannell Ellerbe was... There was silence...

We will still have a GREAT Linebacking corps. Suggs, Kruger, McClain, Ellerbe, Upshaw... need I go on???

Let's go get this one Boys!

WeCan...52, in response, yes, the kids need to be given room to make our investment pay off but there is nobody on the roster that can replace Anquan's style of gritty play!

Not even Pitta and Dikson make cover guys pay for tackling him or make them look so ineffectual trying to block the reception!

If he'd accept it, I'd give him a 2 year heavy incentive laden deal until someone emerges!

Final throught: If w do win the SB, we'll probably do another "Cap Dump" like we did in 2001 and a lot of vet FAs will be history!

The x factor is the 30 degree weather we will be in. We have been cold and the pats are just getting out of their 2 week hibernation. They gona get frostbite!

to the guy down there who thinks the ravens will lose Boldin next year,,i dont think we do ,even if we sign Flacco and Kruger ,just keep in mind that while we do not want to overpay for Boldin hes a guy that nobody in the nfl wants to matchup with ,i think ray retiring will save capand i dont see cary williams coming back so thats Q's money right there ,then we head into the Draft and fill spots of need which would be LB even tho this is looking like a weaker LB class now IMO with Teo's situation Safety could be a strong option i dont see us losing Reed unless its his decision due to health issues ,But we need to improve the lines a Bit ,not big on oher ,Maybe we can cut him free ,will see what happens next year,but i dont see us not matching certain offers for now 2013 GO Ravens

Last week I had all the reasons why the Broncos were actually chumps. This week, I've been a little too busy. I do believe, however, that the Patriots are for real this time. The Patriots actually beat the Broncos and some other good teams. I know the only team that beat them in a divisional playoff game at home in Foxborro was us. Common Ravens! You got this one regardless of statistics and point spreads!

People Webb is out for the season, he got injured n week6

I don't think LB is a huge need, Ellerbe and McClain will start next season, if Ellerbe comes back. Then you have Bynes as a backup and B.A. Maybe we draft one in later rounds, or replace McClain with a high draft pick, but to get one that worthy i think we will have to trade up.

I wouldn't mind letting Cary Williams walk, he hasn't impressed that much this year, ad Graham has played a lot better. Graham and Webb start next season, and Chykie Brown and Smith come in on nickel. I just hope we get Ellerbe and Kruger resigned, they will be big for our Defense in the future.