#1 Radinho84

Radinho84

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:03 AM

Hi guys,

i have a general question on my mind these days.

Comparing Hightower and Upshaw after the first year and their respective impacts on their teams:

Who do you think got the better player?

For me it is Upshaw. I saw him progress really well over the season and i think he will be a star in this league.

What do you think?

#2 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:10 AM

With BB Hightower will LOOK like the better player, media hype.

Upshaw WILL be the better player.

Upshaw might be a star, if he can learn how to blow defenders off the LOS with that brute strength of his, we have ourselves a Von Miller + Stregnth
Banned

#3 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:15 AM

Their stats are practically identical. Too soon to tell.

#4 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:49 AM

From watching a few Pats games I noticed that they're practically identical how they play and even in how they look, but neither moves too well in space.

#5 ravensfan160

ravensfan160

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

With BB Hightower will LOOK like the better player, media hype.

Upshaw WILL be the better player.

Upshaw might be a star, if he can learn how to blow defenders off the LOS with that brute strength of his, we have ourselves a Von Miller + Stregnth

Upshaw is nowhere near the athlete that Von Miller is. He doesn't have the same quickness or explosiveness. That is why he was a 2nd round pick and Miller was a top 5 pick.

#6 dirtybird10

dirtybird10

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

They both were always kind of identical to me. Too big for middle linebacker, not mobile enough for a pure edge rusher. Both seem to set the edge well, and play the run. I have noticed Upshaw getting some nice push, especially in that Denver game. He pushed his defender back a few yards almost into Manning.

#7 BenMir

BenMir

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

They both were always kind of identical to me. Too big for middle linebacker, not mobile enough for a pure edge rusher. Both seem to set the edge well, and play the run. I have noticed Upshaw getting some nice push, especially in that Denver game. He pushed his defender back a few yards almost into Manning.

I agree, Upshaw has became a better pass rusher. Not great,not even good,but maybe next year. He also made a habit of abusing tight ends.

#8 dirtybird10

dirtybird10

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

I agree, Upshaw has became a better pass rusher. Not great,not even good,but maybe next year. He also made a habit of abusing tight ends.

I think he will definitely improve next year. A full season under his belt, he can work on pass rushing moves, and get stronger. He seems to have a bit of a bull rush but not much else. Hopefully he will really take a nice step forward next season.

#9 BenMir

BenMir

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

I think he will definitely improve next year. A full season under his belt, he can work on pass rushing moves, and get stronger. He seems to have a bit of a bull rush but not much else. Hopefully he will really take a nice step forward next season.

Usually power rushers would prefer bullrushing. Earlier in the season it was less effective because he'd get of the snap really slow,but lately he is faster and that really helps.

#10 NaveSenrag

NaveSenrag

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

Upshaw may not be a great pass rusher, but he's killer against the run. If he can get good enough at run stopping, he'll be able to compensate for being a so-so pass rusher.

#11 BenMir

BenMir

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

Upshaw may not be a great pass rusher, but he's killer against the run. If he can get good enough at run stopping, he'll be able to compensate for being a so-so pass rusher.

Can get good enough? It's his first year and he is already an elite run stopper. 2nd best 3-4 olb in his rookie season! Heck,if he can generate SOME pressure he'll be considered a top OLB

#12 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,439 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

I say Hightower.

Both have 60 tackles. Upshaw has 2 more games played though.Upshaw 1.5 sacks, Hightower 4.... Upshaw 2 FF, 2 FR. Hightower 0 FF, 2 FR.

Courtney has played really good this year though for being forced into the lineup as a rookie. There was a strech in the season where you could notice him progressing more and more after every game.

I think both will have great careers. I just see Hightower having a bigger impact for the Pats, then Upshaw for us in the long run. Maybe in the offseason Upshaw can lose some weight and try to get faster to get some more sacks, but as of right now he reminds me of Jarret Johnson. This Sunday I don't think either will make a huge impact in the game as compared to other players.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#13 NaveSenrag

NaveSenrag

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

Can get good enough? It's his first year and he is already an elite run stopper. 2nd best 3-4 olb in his rookie season! Heck,if he can generate SOME pressure he'll be considered a top OLB

Second best in the NFL? According to whom? I think I would've heard that from someone else if it was the case. All I'm saying is that if he can become really great at run stopping, he won't need to be an great pass rusher in order to be a vital piece of the D-line.

#14 Dudeman

Dudeman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

Good question, but the comparison's aren't totally fair because these guys play different positions and have different skill sets. While both players are considered to be more "hybrid" by nature they are still inside and outside players respectively. Upshaw is more an OLB/DE run stuffer with some pass rush upside, while Hightower is more a true MLB/OLB that's slightly better in space. Think of comparing Ellerbe and Kruger to catch my drift there.

I really loved both of them coming out of the draft, and it makes you wonder if Hightower was there would we have traded out of the first? Either way I think both players are impact type of players with major upside, and I am excited to see how they play for years to come.

603060_10151508899441059_1219667063_n.jp

#15 BenMir

BenMir

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

Second best in the NFL? According to whom? I think I would've heard that from someone else if it was the case. All I'm saying is that if he can become really great at run stopping, he won't need to be an great pass rusher in order to be a vital piece of the D-line.

As a run stopper,I mean. According to PFF.

#16 NaveSenrag

NaveSenrag

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

As a run stopper,I mean. According to PFF.

Really? Wow. How much time does he get? It doesn't seem like he's on the field that much, but I guess I'm just missing him.

#17 BenMir

BenMir

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Really? Wow. How much time does he get? It doesn't seem like he's on the field that much, but I guess I'm just missing him.

60-70% I believe. PFF writers actually mentioned him few times - mostly at the secret superstar section but sometimes on the matchup to watch section.

#18 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,063 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

Unlike most people here I never liked Hightower coming out and I still don't like him. I feel he is overrated. Between him and Upshaw I would take Upshaw every time even with Hightower's 4 sacks. You're also comparing a 3-4 ILB/4-3 OLB (not Mike, he is no MLB) to a 3-4 OLB/4-3 DE hybrid. As another poster said it's hard to compare an apple to an orange other than they are both round.

I think Upshaw has the capability to pass rush but he needs to learn the techniques. Whether or not he learns them is up to him and Monachino. Right now he is turning into JJ JR. But give him a chance. People said Kruger was a bust prematurely. I'm willing to bide my time with Upshaw.

#19 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,888 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

I can tell you this. Upshaw is FAR beyond what Kruger was at this stage in his career. If Courtney can develop like Kruger (Pass rush wise) he'll be a beast. Hes already better then Paul as a run stopper.

#20 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,208 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

According to profootball focus he had the second highest run grade of any player at a certain point this season. Not just rookies, everybody.

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users