Training Camp      Stadium Practices     

Watch LIVE Press Conferences Saturday at 4:00 pm ET

Jerry Rosburg, Gary Kubiak, and Dean Pees will address the media following training camp practice.
*Time is subject to change
Close

Photo

QB coach candidates

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,409 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

If Jim Caldwell remains the Ravens OC, who would be a good fit to take over Jim's previous position on the coaching staff? I assume, we don't want to hire Cam Cameron back and Jim Zorn's firing stirred up a lot of drama. I certainly don't want our OC to be our QB coach as well, again.
Anybody knows good candidates for that position?

bJNF689.jpg

#2 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,754 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

ZORN!
I call it!

#3 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

If Jim Caldwell remains the Ravens OC, who would be a good fit to take over Jim's previous position on the coaching staff? I assume, we don't want to hire Cam Cameron back and Jim Zorn's firing stirred up a lot of drama. I certainly don't want our OC to be our QB coach as well, again.
Anybody knows good candidates for that position?

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I like Caldwell filling both positions for now. I think it offers some stability and consistency that Joe hasn't had for all of his NFL career.

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#4 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,409 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I like Caldwell filling both positions for now. I think it offers some stability and consistency that Joe hasn't had for all of his NFL career.

That's what Cameron thought. Admittedly, Joe appears to have a better report with Jim then with Cam, just because Caldwell seems to actually trust Joe more and allows him to lead the offense, but I do think it would be better, if there is someone who watches over Joe's mechanics while Caldwell works out the best possible system to fit Flacco in.

bJNF689.jpg

#5 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,816 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

Yep. We really don't need a QB coach if things are working. With Caldwell the QB position is working. Bringing in another new 'voice' might not be the best option at this point in time.
Posted Image

#6 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

That's what Cameron thought. Admittedly, Joe appears to have a better report with Jim then with Cam, just because Caldwell seems to actually trust Joe more and allows him to lead the offense, but I do think it would be better, if there is someone who watches over Joe's mechanics while Caldwell works out the best possible system to fit Flacco in.

I hear what you are saying, but for me at this point in Joe's career I like applying the KISS principle. I think he is now comfortable and on a good course.

Edited by awholelottahaloti, 17 January 2013 - 10:16 PM.

#7 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

Yep. We really don't need a QB coach if things are working. With Caldwell the QB position is working. Bringing in another new 'voice' might not be the best option at this point in time.

Yesssir!

#8 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,409 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

I hear what you guys are saying, but for me at this point in Joe's career I like applying the KISS principle. I think he is now comfortable and on a good course.

As good as he is, he still has that tendency to overthrow receivers, which if it were not for the firing of Zorn, Camerons stupid tenure as OC/QB coach and the roller coaster of Caldwells tenure as the QB/OC coach, could've been improved upon LONG ago. It's remarkable how much time we wasted in Flaccos development, because we wouldn't part ways with that loser Cam. -_- Sry, where was I?

So no one can even name someone? I am just curious, if there even is a good candidate out there.

Edited by PolishRifle, 17 January 2013 - 10:19 PM.

bJNF689.jpg

#9 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,389 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

There's a very good chance we'll bring Zorn back, in my limited opinion.

But really, I dont think we have a need for a QB coach.
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#10 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,754 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

You're the president of the Flacco lovers fanclub. You think he needs no improvment.
Zorn! I WANT JIM ZORN!

#11 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

As good as he is, he still has that tendency to overthrow receivers, which if it were not for the firing of Zorn, Camerons stupid tenure as OC/QB coach and the roller coaster of Caldwells tenure as the QB/OC coach, could've been improved upon LONG ago. It's remarkable how much time we wasted in Flaccos development, because we wouldn't part ways with that loser Cam. -_- Sry, where was I?

So no one can even name someone? I am just curious, if there even is a good candidate out there.

I think Joe's overthrows are more a product of caution rather than technique. I like, as I'm sure as you do as well, his ability to avoid interceptions. We can live with occasional overthrows, picks suck.

That said, if we were to hire a QB coach, I like Johnny, oh wait, sorry.......... LOL!

#12 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

C'mon Man! When has your opinion ever been limited? :-)

#13 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

Quoted for truth.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#14 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

I never got this huge love of Zorn. The guy has coached some of the worst teams in the NFL and was never a great coach. I feel the only reason Flacco really liked him was because he actually had a say in things while Cam would brush him off.

I would bring in anyone that Caldwell wants. The mechanics of a qb aren't really the hardest things to teach, it's making sure you emphasize the same aspects and have the same philosophy of your offensive coordinator. Caldwell should choose a guy who shares similar opinions with him so there is not butting heads in how to teach Flacco.

#15 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,409 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

I never got this huge love of Zorn. The guy has coached some of the worst teams in the NFL and was never a great coach. I feel the only reason Flacco really liked him was because he actually had a say in things while Cam would brush him off.

I would bring in anyone that Caldwell wants. The mechanics of a qb aren't really the hardest things to teach, it's making sure you emphasize the same aspects and have the same philosophy of your offensive coordinator. Caldwell should choose a guy who shares similar opinions with him so there is not butting heads in how to teach Flacco.

Frank Reich was the QB coach during Caldwells tenure as HC of Colts.

bJNF689.jpg

#16 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

Frank Reich was the QB coach during Caldwells tenure as HC of Colts.

Backed up Boomer Esiason at Maryland. I don't think he would mind coming down here. Was QB coach and switched to WR coach for a year before being released with the entire Colts staff. I guess it's a negative that he coached some of the worst backups in the history of the NFL but I don't know much about him.

#17 Sizzlebshu

Sizzlebshu

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,624 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

I really think Zorn would be the best choice since he knows Joe and did get him to improve

I would really like Jim Harbaugh but Id doubt he'd downgrade.

As for a real choice, I would say Eli Manning's QB coach during his second superbowl run. Eli seemed very honed in and had phenomenal season. I live in NY and have the pleasure of watching both the giants and jets every year (kill me) while I search online to watch Ravens games, but this guy cleaned Eli's technique a lot, simplified the process of going through progressions for him, and really improved his accuracy leading to career highs for Eli and a second ring. Name escapes me though Im sure someone could find it.

Edited by Sizzlebshu, 18 January 2013 - 12:05 AM.

#18 gotekiraven

gotekiraven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

I say keep things just like they are. If Caldwell and Joe aren't asking for a new QB coach, then things must be ok and leave it as such.

#19 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

totally agree with this; don't fix things that aren't broken.....Joe and Caldwell are great for each other; I just hope other teams don't steal Caldwell from us....
2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#20 indianstick

indianstick

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

I think we need a qb coach next year and zorn would be a good candidate as long as he doesn't get anywhere near the playcalling sheet. Another guy I think would be a good candidate is John mcnulty. He was arizona's qb coach last year and their WR coach three years before that. He was the OC at rutgers from 06-08. He might be a good guy to bring over here

Edited by indianstick, 18 January 2013 - 12:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users