24 replies to this topic

#1 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,217 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

So remember delusional Raider fan freind who thinks Flacco is overrated? Well, he is also a bandwagon Pats fan... He says that there is no way Brady can lose come playoff time?

So as we were debating (I took the role of Stephen A, and he takes the roll of Skip) he said that Torrey Smith will be a non factor... Saying that if Talib can take Andre out, Torrey should be a piece of cake.... Well, I told him if Champ cannot cover Torrey, then Talib sure as hell cannot. He said that this was Irrelevant (like me of course :P) and saftey help takes him away.....

But Torrey did have saftey help against him... And he blazed past them both. Both are good saftey's btw, Moore is no slouch, gave up a dumb play, and Lenord was a good saftey too. Both are better than Devin imho....

So, this leads me to think to myself, we have found that Torrey is a damn good WR. He will be remembered as one of the better WRs in that amazing draft class. So I want to do a bit of a timeline

No one thought that this, freak athlete at that, can jump high, run fast, is relativley tall for an NFL WR, would drop to the second round. In fact, many people had us taking him in the first, Including me..... Many said if he waited another year, he would have been drafted in the top 5.

I watched his tape, knew he had all the physical traits in the world, and was actually a solid route runner, but needed to improve on his hands. Big deal, but the guy is a stud...

After the trade for Lee Evans, many people thought we were going to give Torrey a chance to develop more, but an ankle injury gave him a window of opportunity.

Torrey then Exploded out of the gate and had one of the greatest rookie debuts for a WR ever..... The doubters, who thought he was a bust, then shut up.... They knew we had a special WR. The season progressed, and we found something else that we did not know we drafted....

The dude is clutch.

He might drop some catches, but he catches them when they matter the most.. The PIT catch was the first one, then I saw many other clutch plays. Last year @ NE and that TD, this year vs NE again with his two TDs. Both in which were not deep bombs, he showed another element to his game. He can be a possesion reciver when needed as well.

Then we got the period when Torrey was matched up against the #1 CB on some teams. I remember my pops said "They are going to double cover him.... We are going to find out if he is an all pro caliber potential".... He should have gone to the pro bowl. He was realativley quiet, cept for the giants game, then he cooled down a bit for the Colts game... Then, last week happened.

Torrey was going up against future HOFer Champ Bailey... And he just destroyed him. Double covered with saftey help, against a current All pro who shut down AJ Green earlier this season, he completley embarresed Champ. Many people talk about how this might be the beggining for Joe into elite status.

But what about Torrey? I mean, outside the crap show for a few games this season, Joe has seemed to have bonded with the guy. They seem to have a connection. For Every Peyton there is a Marvin Harrison right?

Well, I will finish my rant.

Kudos to you Torrey, you have also overcome many doubters, and made yourself not only a respected deep threat as you were in your rookie year, but now a respected WR... You have greatly improved your craft over the last two years, and it scares me to know that you can get better.

My pops and I think he has near elite potential (whatever the hell that means ;)), and that he has a bright future.

Torrey, go destroy Tailb this weekend for me, and make the Ravens nation proud. Oz has found a steal folks.

Edited by Mr. Irrelevant, 17 January 2013 - 08:47 PM.

#2 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,217 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

PS. Sorry for the novel part. I have grown to like the guy.

He can be my Richie Sambora man crush in the sports world ;)

#3 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

BUT, when you have Torrey, Anquan AND Jacoby,,,,,,,

Talib, is not covering ALL THREE of them.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#4 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,217 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

BUT, when you have Torrey, Anquan AND Jacoby,,,,,,,

Talib, is not covering ALL THREE of them.

That according to him is Irrelevant :P
Plus Man Coverage on Boldin is LOL

#5 Raven07

Raven07

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

any given sunday. any given sunday. the nay sayers will always be there to say this, say that, bash this, bash that, its all part of the game, but key is to prove to everyone that no matter what you may say about me, I know im good this team knows im good and the defenders playing against me know im good. I think that's where Torrey is at now. he and the team believe in his abilities and that's all that matters.... the ultimate satisfaction one player can have is doing the things the critics and the nay sayers said he or they could never do........... I think that's where Torrey at. like he said earlier this week or last, he said something like " just go out there and do my jobs, im not looking to be the best, just looking to be the best I can for my team"
Posted Image
yes,Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs, Ford, Deadliest Catch exc is my Cousin. 2nd Cousin to be exact.
- Baltimore Ravens Message board First Hall of Famer

#6 runamuk

runamuk

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

I love this kid . when he torched champ repeatedly I was like yes i knew he would I just did. I don't think the patriots have an answer for him . they double him then he will torch two of them not that i mind. I respect the history of the patriots and Brady's legacy . but brady was very arrogant during his pressor and i got the impression he was mocking ray lewis and for that he needs to pay. Ray Lewis said it best Everything has an ending time to end patriot dominance in the post season, Torrey go for it .

:baltimore-ravens: GO RAVENS :baltimore-ravens: 

#7 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,678 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

Plus Man Coverage on Boldin is LOL

Where have I seen that before? I know it was on here
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#8 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,678 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

#82 is the next jersey I'm getting. There's nothing not to like about the guy.

I'm feeling 5 catches 79 yards 2 TDs from him this week. Boldin will have the most yards though. :)
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#9 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,217 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

Where have I seen that before? I know it was on here

IDK Man, IDK
:P

#10 Token

Token

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

Remember how many people wanted him after the Titans game? Seems like decades ago.

I'm sad to say that I wasn't originally on the Torrey bandwagon as I wanted Titus Young so much that draft.
Posted Image

#11 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,552 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

I have come to absolutely love Torrey. I was pissed when we drafted him, and glad that he proved me wrong, but I am so impressed that a guy his age has the character and work ethic that he does. He is one of my favorite Ravens now,
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#12 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

I have come to absolutely love Torrey. I was pissed when we drafted him, and glad that he proved me wrong, but I am so impressed that a guy his age has the character and work ethic that he does. He is one of my favorite Ravens now,

Same here. But for me, I loved the draft pick. I expected big things from him, but it just took a little time for him to be the player he was being capable of. I see him being the best WR in AFCN. I just hope he can keep being himself and not let all the stardom catch him into a wrong direction.

#13 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:41 PM

He didn't really have much safety help. The announcers made a strong point about how the Broncos defense is set up where Bailey controls his guy (sort of like Revis Island). They did shift safety help at points but it didn't matter. He just blows by them. I remember Deion Sanders saying something along the lines of, "just drop back and run deep, you know where he is running".

He has stopped saying that now that Torrey has shown the ability to run short and intermediate patterns as well. He is something special and his ability to adjust to the ball like he did on that TD catch (I believe he made a similar one against NE) shows how good he really is.

Edited by dhstandard, 17 January 2013 - 11:42 PM.

2yno6dx.png

#14 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

Joe To Torrey is the face of this franchise for the next decade....
2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#15 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,552 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:05 AM

Same here. But for me, I loved the draft pick. I expected big things from him, but it just took a little time for him to be the player he was being capable of. I see him being the best WR in AFCN. I just hope he can keep being himself and not let all the stardom catch him into a wrong direction.

Great thing is is that he is still a looong way off from playing to his full potential. Third year is often the breakout year for WR, so I'm excited to see what he does.
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#16 cwfRaven

cwfRaven

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Aside from his talent, one of the things I love the most about him is that he is humble. I don't see his success going to his head - instead he has this quiet confidence that is very unexpected given his level of skill. There are lots of good WRs out there, but the heart he shows (can you say week 3?) is what sets him apart, IMO.

#17 beasy2487

beasy2487

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

Torrey's going to be amazing for us. I'd say the sky is the limit for him but that would be a insult to his potential lol. He will be as good as his body will allow him to be because from a will-power perspective there isn't a player in the league with a stronger desire to be great than him. It's going to be a joy to behold.

#18 Clayton Bigsby

Clayton Bigsby

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

I loved Torrey from the get go. I don't get how people HATED the fact we drafted him. The year before we had the slowest WR corps in Anquan, Mason, and T.J. Their ability to get separation (in our vertical-based offense) was so bad at times it was embarrassing, infuriating, annoying, etc.

I'll admit I preferred Titus Young leading up to the draft but definitely didn't mind Torrey. He was exactly what our offense needed in a WR: a dangerous vertical threat that can score anytime the ball is thrown to him. Sure, he wasn't polished coming out of college but what WR is? Patience was key with Torrey and I'm glad he just kept on fighting despite the negativity he was getting from fans/media.

#19 edreedfromtheu

edreedfromtheu

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

So remember delusional Raider fan freind who thinks Flacco is overrated? Well, he is also a bandwagon Pats fan... He says that there is no way Brady can lose come playoff time?

So as we were debating (I took the role of Stephen A, and he takes the roll of Skip) he said that Torrey Smith will be a non factor... Saying that if Talib can take Andre out, Torrey should be a piece of cake.... Well, I told him if Champ cannot cover Torrey, then Talib sure as hell cannot. He said that this was Irrelevant (like me of course :P) and saftey help takes him away.....

But Torrey did have saftey help against him... And he blazed past them both. Both are good saftey's btw, Moore is no slouch, gave up a dumb play, and Lenord was a good saftey too. Both are better than Devin imho....

So, this leads me to think to myself, we have found that Torrey is a damn good WR. He will be remembered as one of the better WRs in that amazing draft class. So I want to do a bit of a timeline

No one thought that this, freak athlete at that, can jump high, run fast, is relativley tall for an NFL WR, would drop to the second round. In fact, many people had us taking him in the first, Including me..... Many said if he waited another year, he would have been drafted in the top 5.

I watched his tape, knew he had all the physical traits in the world, and was actually a solid route runner, but needed to improve on his hands. Big deal, but the guy is a stud...

After the trade for Lee Evans, many people thought we were going to give Torrey a chance to develop more, but an ankle injury gave him a window of opportunity.

Torrey then Exploded out of the gate and had one of the greatest rookie debuts for a WR ever..... The doubters, who thought he was a bust, then shut up.... They knew we had a special WR. The season progressed, and we found something else that we did not know we drafted....

The dude is clutch.

He might drop some catches, but he catches them when they matter the most.. The PIT catch was the first one, then I saw many other clutch plays. Last year @ NE and that TD, this year vs NE again with his two TDs. Both in which were not deep bombs, he showed another element to his game. He can be a possesion reciver when needed as well.

Then we got the period when Torrey was matched up against the #1 CB on some teams. I remember my pops said "They are going to double cover him.... We are going to find out if he is an all pro caliber potential".... He should have gone to the pro bowl. He was realativley quiet, cept for the giants game, then he cooled down a bit for the Colts game... Then, last week happened.

Torrey was going up against future HOFer Champ Bailey... And he just destroyed him. Double covered with saftey help, against a current All pro who shut down AJ Green earlier this season, he completley embarresed Champ. Many people talk about how this might be the beggining for Joe into elite status.

But what about Torrey? I mean, outside the crap show for a few games this season, Joe has seemed to have bonded with the guy. They seem to have a connection. For Every Peyton there is a Marvin Harrison right?

Well, I will finish my rant.

Kudos to you Torrey, you have also overcome many doubters, and made yourself not only a respected deep threat as you were in your rookie year, but now a respected WR... You have greatly improved your craft over the last two years, and it scares me to know that you can get better.

My pops and I think he has near elite potential (whatever the hell that means ;)), and that he has a bright future.

Torrey, go destroy Tailb this weekend for me, and make the Ravens nation proud. Oz has found a steal folks.

I really wish Torrey got to play with Derrick Mason. He could have really gotten some pointers on his route running. It was really awesome to see Mark Clayton developing under Mason... even if quarterback play and injuries forced him out of the game.

#20 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,971 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

Torrey's past, present and future = fast, faster and fastest! lol! the young buck is evolving into an awesome #1 receiver. the Ravens need to continue to surround him with other speedy and solid receivers to keep defense in check.

~Mili

Militant X 1

RayLewisSig1_zps3a0863e0.png

"I May be Done but I'm not Gone!"

- Ray Lewis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users