Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gashman

Does our Offense now have a Short Passing Game?

18 posts in this topic

Lets face it,
Every offensive mind from New England will be making absolutely sure nobody gets behind their safeties this game. I expect heavy blitzing and double coverage on our deep routes.

We have seen teams shut this aspect of our game down this season, Texans for one, so if they put heavy pressure on Joe and he doesn't have time to look deep or wait for these deep outs to open up, will we adjust or mix in a heavy dose of screens and short passing routes? Ray Rice and Pitta could have a huge impact if so.

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Ugh... yep.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Haven't you been watching the past few games? Joe, sure he's throwing F-Bombs all over the place, but he has actually been hitting a lot of down-and-distance throws; 5 - 10 yards out... his receivers are just doing a great job of getting YACs.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]What games have you been watching?[/i][/font]

we need quick slants, drags, screens, ins, outs and curl routes to be in full effect on Sunday. keep'em off balance!

~Mili

yeah your right, but caldwell will come up with something. i am sure he hates the pats just as much as we do. after all the pats got the better of them on more than one occasion.

Yes, but you don't throw it short exclusively when you have guys like Torrey Smith burning Champ Bailey on every play. That's one positive you can point towards Air Coryell. Having a guy going deep on nearly every play, it gives you the opportunity to make big plays which is why Flacco is the only qb in the playoffs this season to average over 20 yards per completion.

[size=4]Luckily Caldwell knows that when the safties are playing deep coverage the entire game that he needs to throw it short and use the middle of the field (something Cam never did). The former worked against the Colts and the latter worked in Denver. It all depends on what NE defense brings to the table. [/size]

Torrey does his damage against the Patriots with the short-intermediate routes. His touchdown against them last year was a quick catch run to stiff arm.

Now that there's a focus on the deep ball, our new found use of the short game is going to be imperative. I'm not saying we won't get big passes from Joe, I'm just saying I'd expect a bit more from Pitta, Rice, and Dickson than you'd usually see.

I want us to throw in a few screens to receivers for once. We have the play makers to make big plays out of those and it could draw the secondary closer.

I'm GLAD we have a short passing game now. When Cam was here, throwing a bomb on 3rd and 2 was like his best friend for some reason. Screens, Slants, Drags, Ins and Outs (like Mili said), and the ocassional bomb to Torrey/Jacoby when we like the matchup, are the strengths of this team. Boldin+Slant=a thing of beauty. Run some more screens with Rice, and I'll be happy. I don't think we ran too many of them (if at all) last week against Denver.

Thats actually THE main difference between Cam and Caldwell. Caldwell actually tries to get rhthym going by quick short passes.

"You can’t throw deep all the time. You have to go intermediate and short. You have to mix it up as much as you possibly can,"
Jim Caldwell
http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/topic/50860-news-ravens-thursday-quotes-afc-championship-at-patriots/
and more freedom -
" They improvised a little bit. That’s what great players do. "

Thank you, Jesus.

Chicks [size=2]*cough* ESPN *cough*[/size] dig the long ball.

Joe has a serious arm. And the deep ball is working. Its actually opening up the short game more now. I remember on a 3rd down against the Broncos. They were so worried about Torrey going deep that they played well off and he picked up an easy 3rd down conversion with a slant. Caldwell has the offense moving right now.

The short answer is yes. But it will be the run this week that sets up the short passing game, not the long ball.

[quote name='MTRavensFan' timestamp='1358474713' post='1316150']
"You can’t throw deep all the time. You have to go intermediate and short. You have to mix it up as much as you possibly can,"
Jim Caldwell
[url="http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/topic/50860-news-ravens-thursday-quotes-afc-championship-at-patriots/"]http://boards.baltim...ip-at-patriots/[/url]
and more freedom -
" They improvised a little bit. That’s what great players do. "

Thank you, Jesus.
[/quote]

Thank You Lord!

[quote name='bauer77' timestamp='1358469063' post='1316060']
I'm GLAD we have a short passing game now. When Cam was here, throwing a bomb on 3rd and 2 was like his best friend for some reason. Screens, Slants, Drags, Ins and Outs (like Mili said), and the ocassional bomb to Torrey/Jacoby when we like the matchup, are the strengths of this team. Boldin+Slant=a thing of beauty. Run some more screens with Rice, and I'll be happy. I don't think we ran too many of them (if at all) last week against Denver.
[/quote]

While I have only seen Torrey catch a couple of passes underneath, when he has he has gain a ton of YAC. I thought were were going to do that more this year based off of the offseason. In fact, I drafted Torrey in my fantasy league earlier becuase of this belief. Hopefully they take advantage of that more in the future.