Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gabefergy

Props to John Harbaugh

64 posts in this topic

He is a great coach and I'm glad to have as our HC he gets crap sometimes by the fans, but overall we couldn't have hired a better coach.

I think the Ravens have THE head coach for THIS time in their history. :) Coming out of the stadium tonight, I was able to fully embrace the joy that is cheering your team's win in an opposing stadium. That was fun. I think this is the time for Harbaugh and Flacco. I think that because I also think of Harbaugh like Dungy. The man's not going to coach forever. He's got other obligations that mean more to him than football, and I can easily see him walking away to pursue them before his kid's grown. So I'm excited for the next two weeks and what has happened this year for this team! :)

I think he's loosened up a bit this season and it's helped, McKinnie and Ellerbe have been key players in our playoff push.

I love him as a HC. He reminds me of Belichick without the arrogance and grumpiness. He might not be there yet with playcalling and that stuff, but he knows how to get the best out of his guys.

i am just sooooooooo thankful we don't have Garrett or Ryan right now. i don't want to think about how we'd be without harbs. this isn't just an impulsive comment because we made the SB but i want no other coach in the NFL right now than John. fits our team and city so well. Congrats to everyone Ravens.

I have to give a shout out to Ingrid Harbaugh in this thread. Behind every great man is an even greater woman, and she is a giant part of him being in this position and place right now. :)

Sorry, have to acknowledge the wives behind the men. Coaches' wives are a tough breed!

When Harbaugh talks about love, faith and family you know it comes from the bottom of his heart.
Could you ever in a million years imagine him cutting one of our players this week the way Belicheat did last year?

I like Harbaugh because he's a disciplinare coach, who will get the most out of their players to play hard and never give up. There's a reason why he's coached five playoff teams in a row. Discipline is one of the most underrated trait out of head coaches these days. Owners go for coaches who are smart, innovative, friendly, and strong-willed, but not many on the disciplinary side. I always remember that someone will discipline others because they do it out of love and so they will mature stronger through struggle and discipline. Both Harbaugh have coached their team into perennial playoff teams because they emphasize discipline over talent. I remember Harbaugh couple years ago threw Ellerbe into the doghouse due to his immaturity and indiscipline for the game. I must say that Ellerbe has grown up to be one of the rising stars of this defense. I think I would have no other coach than Harbaugh. Yes, he's flawed in a sense that he's not the best play-caller or best football mind, but he will train men to be men and that's the bottom line especially in the NFL.

Go Harbaugh!!!

I think another good thing to keep in mind is that, unlike the feelings I get about his brother Jim, I don't think a million Super Bowls would change the character or priorities of John Harbaugh. Faith, family, football. I don't see where there's ever been a change in ranking of those three things in his life. I think he's humble, appreciative, and understanding of his blessings in life. I'm really looking forward to watching this Super Bowl unfold, and I hope for all the Ravens, they get another ring.

I wish sometimes we could go back to some old threads and review.

I remember having to defend Harbs a couple months ago with people asking 'What exactly does Harbs do?', etc. This just goes to show you have to be patient. The team and many fans have been patient with Joe, patient with Harbs, patient with Pees, patient with Cams (that backfired). It pays off a lot better than firing people and bringing in FAs.

[quote name='redrum52' timestamp='1358743671' post='1323154']
He took a step this year. I think last year is when yiu really started to notice a change. He seems to have a better oukse of the team since last year and seems to have opened up a little more. Maybe cause the younger guys have matured too now but it seems like hes really starting to hit his coaching stride.
[/quote]

Rumor is that Caldwell twisted Johnny's arm regarding Mckinnie.

[quote name='Ravenslifer' timestamp='1358743225' post='1323126']
I think we can all agree that above all, John Harbaugh values loyalty and hard work. He fought for Cam Cameron for several years because of their close relationship. He decided this year to keep Michael Oher over Bryant McKinnie because of McKinnie's conditioning issues and the fact that Oher is one of the hardest working guys out there. But it takes a great coach when to recognize that your biggest strengths are sometimes your biggest weaknesses. He had the courage to fire Cam right at the end of the regular season, and he had the courage to insert Bryant McKinnie in at left tackle after not having started him for a single game this season, and both of those decisions were so critical in what we've seen these past 3 weeks. I just want to say that I'm very grateful to have had Harbs as our coach these last 5 years, and I believe this year he's done some major growing and will only get better with time.
[/quote]

Well said, and John deserves a TON of credit for what he's done with this team since taking over in 2008. But, firing Cam was most likely a Bisciotti move and the Oline was most likely a Caldwell/Front Office/Harbaugh move. Just goes to show that Bisciotti is argueably the best owner in the NFL. For him to pass over Rex Ryan because he knew he wouldn't be a good head coach is a major major decision. As fans, we're lucky to have such an amazing management team at the helm, which makes us competitive every single year.

I'll admit in the heat of games I've criticized Harbs, but at the end of the day, he's come through. I don't know any other team in the league that can point to game after game EVERY season since Harbs took over that has literally come down to the last play of the game to win or lose. The overwhelming majority of our losses have been just those types of games. Now that's competitive! Everything mentioned above is right on, and I'm thankful he's the HC of the Ravens.