63 replies to this topic

#1 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,449 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

For whatever reason, John Harbaugh never get's the credit he deserves for being one of the best coaches in the NFL. In fact he frequently comes under fire from fans for not being "offensively minded" among other laughable critiques.

Looking past the remarkable fact that he has led the Ravens to 5 consecutive playoff berths and won at least 1 game in each of those postseasons including 3 AFCCG appearances, I wanted to focus on 3 critical decisions he has made over the course of the season that has this team where it is today.

1) Choosing Justin Tucker over Billy Cundiff. To a lot of fans this seemed like an easy decision, but in reality it was quite a gamble. And it worked beautifully. Cundiff was the established veteran with a big contract that also happened to be coming off one of the worst choke-jobs ever. Tucker was the young buck with zero experience, but a big leg. Tucker also managed to convince Harbs that he was clutch and I give credit to both John and Justin for coming to the right decision here.

2) Firing Cam Cameron and promoting Jim Caldwell. Once again this is something a lot of us fans wanted to see done a long time ago, but to make the move in the middle of the season was a gutsy call. Some may argue that there were other (ownership) influences on this decision, but at the end the call comes down to the HC and Harbaugh once again makes the tough and proper decision.

3) Inserting Bryant McKinnie as a starter for the first time in the playoffs. McKinnie was in Harbs' infamous "doghouse" for much of the season. He came into camp overweight and almost got cut, but managed to stick around because frankly we didnt have much of a choice. Whenever Big Mac came in to play during the season he looked sloppy and seemed like just didnt have a clue what was going on, but somewhere along the way he managed to gain Harbs' trust and was given the chance to start. We had a revolving door (literally) at LG for the entire season and moving KO there to go along with Oher to RT and McKinnie to LT has been a huge boon. This change might be the biggest reason why we are playing in the AFCCG.

Awesome job once again Coach. Keep up the great work and finish the season right in New Orleans!

@gabefergy

#2 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

Probably because he isn't one of those coaches who seems to be directly involved in the playcalling. BB Mike McCarthy and Sean Payton practically run both sides of the ball (McCarthy is the playcaller). Harbaugh is a great HC. You can say the Cam firing took too long. Inserting McKinnie was practically the only choice we had. Tucker over Cundiff had to happen. I don't think anyone would have done otherwise.

He is a great coach though. One of the best.

2yno6dx.png

#3 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,077 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

I agree with all your points. I think Harbaugh is a player's coach who is also disciplined enough to assert himself if necessary. I like his style. He doesn't throw his position around but will. He really trusts his players and I think that's a big reason why they play so hard for him.

#4 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

He should have been coach of the year instead of Mike Smith back in 2008 and he has been disrespected ever since. The beautiful thing about John is that he doesn't give a damn. It's all about the team.
"No weapon forged against us shall prosper. And every tongue which rises against us in judgment, we shall condemn."

#5 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,449 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

Probably because he isn't one of those coaches who seems to be directly involved in the playcalling. BB Mike McCarthy and Sean Payton practically run both sides of the ball (McCarthy is the playcaller). Harbaugh is a great HC. You can say the Cam firing took too long. Inserting McKinnie was practically the only choice we had. Tucker over Cundiff had to happen. I don't think anyone would have done otherwise.

He is a great coach though. One of the best.

I disagree about all three being choices anyone would make. Sure, it's easy to say that in hindsight. When was the last time an OC was fired mid-season on a playoff contending team? That move was crushed nationally as a "panic move". McKinnie was not the only choice. It would have been just as easy to insert Bobbie Williams or Ramon Harewood who had both started at LG at some point that season. He changed 3 positions along the Oline to get what he saw was the best 5 and he turned out to be right. The move was questioned by many prior to the Colts game. Once again, cutting Cundiff seemed obvious but going into the season with a rookie kicker with ZERO experience is not an easy choice. What happens if Tucker turns out to choke midway through the season?

Edited by gabefergy, 15 January 2013 - 07:56 PM.

@gabefergy

#6 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

I disagree about all three being choices anyone would make. Sure, it's easy to say that in hindsight. When was the last time an OC was fired mid-season on a playoff contending team? That move was crushed nationally as a "panic move". McKinnie was not the only choice. It would have been just as easy to insert Bobbie Williams or Ramon Harewood who had both started at LG at some point that season. He changed 3 positions along the Oline to get what he saw was the best 5 and he turned out to be right. The move was questioned by many prior to the Colts game. Once again, cutting Cundiff seemed obvious but going into the season with a rookie kicker with ZERO experience is not an easy choice. What happens if Tucker turns out to choke midway through the season?

We asked for all of these before the decision was even made. I know we as fans aren't always correct, but people were begging to see McKinnie start, did not want Cundiff back, and we wanted Cam gone for years. Not really surprising things to the Ravens fanbase to see happen.

Edited by dhstandard, 15 January 2013 - 08:07 PM.

2yno6dx.png

#7 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,449 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

We asked for all of these before the decision was even made. I know we as fans aren't always correct, but people were begging to see McKinnie start, did not want Cundiff back, and we wanted Cam gone for years. Not really surprising things to the Ravens fanbase to see happen.

Right. But you just said it yourself...they are moves the fans clamored for, but rarely do you actually see those changes actually made. None of them were easy decisions or guaranteed success. The fact that all three were brought to fruition and have had positive results is fortunate. The fact that you are even arguing about this just further demonstrates the point I am trying to make. Fans won't ever give him credit, but he's OK with that.

@gabefergy

#8 rlh445

rlh445

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,829 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

Uh yea and fans also asked for Ray Rice to not get any carries, wanted to see Tyrod Taylor get the nod over Joe and questioned Ozzie Newsome's recent drafting. The fans are always reacting due to emotion, not football smarts. People wanted to see McKinnie start because Oher was getting beat like a drum and making the whole o-line look bad and yet conveniently forgot about the numerous times this season when we've put him in he was getting beat WORSE than Oher and playing without any passion at all. The ONLY reason he's playing the way he is now is because Ray finally took him under his wing and he's retiring.

People have complained about Cam since day one even though he was very successful with the team and helped Joe become the QB he is today. In fact most fans DIDN'T want him gone NOW because in their words it would be, 'too late,'. We even questioned the move after it was done like the rest of the media because championship caliber teams almost never cut a key member of the staff anytime before the off-season. Obviously, we didn't want Cundiff back because of the miss in NE, but once again: all emotion. Not ONE of the Ravens staff or players blamed him solely and all took credit for the loss and had his back; he had won many games for the Ravens and hardly lost any for them. It would have been the easier decision to stick with Cundiff and show we were behind him regardless of what fans wanted than to go with an untested, undrafted rookie with crazy eyes. Took a lot of guts to make that call.

Bottom line is, the fans want a myriad of things from their football team whether they be reasonable or outlandish and just because a few things we've screamed for have come to pass AND worked out isn't indicative of the fans smarts or knowledge; if they were in John's shoes they may very well have done the opposite of what he's done.

This is football, not teacups with the Queen.

#9 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,015 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

I'm not entirely sure why Harbaugh doesn't get the credit he's earned... people rail on Flacco and our 'aging' defense yet we stack wins every sense and make a lot of noise in the playoffs (which we go to every season under him).

This year might just be his best yet, overcoming mountains of adversity and has our team 2 games from a championship. When we went on the 3-game losing streak in December, there was not dissension within the locker room, as there may have been in other franchises.

Furthermore, aside from the on-field decisions, the culture of the Ravens is vastly different than the final years of the Billick era. I loved BB but there was an issue with cohesion and entitlement on our team.

edit - more credit would definitely come with a SB...

Edited by berad, 15 January 2013 - 08:47 PM.

a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#10 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,508 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

I'm not entirely sure why Harbaugh doesn't get the credit he's earned... people rail on Flacco and our 'aging' defense yet we stack wins every sense and make a lot of noise in the playoffs (which we go to every season under him).

This year might just be his best yet, overcoming mountains of adversity and has our team 2 games from a championship. When we went on the 3-game losing streak in December, there was not dissension within the locker room, as there may have been in other franchises.

Furthermore, aside from the on-field decisions, the culture of the Ravens is vastly different than the final years of the Billick era. I loved BB but there was an issue with cohesion and entitlement on our team.

edit - more credit would definitely come with a SB...

No one cares about Bmore outside of Bmore.

Harbs is one of the best coaches in the NFL. He deserves credit, but will never get it bc we are not a big market team

#11 Bump N Run

Bump N Run

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

For whatever reason, John Harbaugh never get's the credit he deserves for being one of the best coaches in the NFL. In fact he frequently comes under fire from fans for not being "offensively minded" among other laughable critiques.

Looking past the remarkable fact that he has led the Ravens to 5 consecutive playoff berths and won at least 1 game in each of those postseasons including 3 AFCCG appearances, I wanted to focus on 3 critical decisions he has made over the course of the season that has this team where it is today.

1) Choosing Justin Tucker over Billy Cundiff. To a lot of fans this seemed like an easy decision, but in reality it was quite a gamble. And it worked beautifully. Cundiff was the established veteran with a big contract that also happened to be coming off one of the worst choke-jobs ever. Tucker was the young buck with zero experience, but a big leg. Tucker also managed to convince Harbs that he was clutch and I give credit to both John and Justin for coming to the right decision here.

2) Firing Cam Cameron and promoting Jim Caldwell. Once again this is something a lot of us fans wanted to see done a long time ago, but to make the move in the middle of the season was a gutsy call. Some may argue that there were other (ownership) influences on this decision, but at the end the call comes down to the HC and Harbaugh once again makes the tough and proper decision.

3) Inserting Bryant McKinnie as a starter for the first time in the playoffs. McKinnie was in Harbs' infamous "doghouse" for much of the season. He came into camp overweight and almost got cut, but managed to stick around because frankly we didnt have much of a choice. Whenever Big Mac came in to play during the season he looked sloppy and seemed like just didnt have a clue what was going on, but somewhere along the way he managed to gain Harbs' trust and was given the chance to start. We had a revolving door (literally) at LG for the entire season and moving KO there to go along with Oher to RT and McKinnie to LT has been a huge boon. This change might be the biggest reason why we are playing in the AFCCG.

Awesome job once again Coach. Keep up the great work and finish the season right in New Orleans!

you are assuming it was his call to make any of those 3 decisions.

while I agree he had input, I SERIOUSLY doubt it was his decion alone.

#12 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,449 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

you are assuming it was his call to make any of those 3 decisions.

while I agree he had input, I SERIOUSLY doubt it was his decion alone.

The final "decion" most certainly came to Harbaugh.

@gabefergy

#13 lgcs27288

lgcs27288

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

Harbs is one of the best coaches in the NFL. He deserves credit, but will never get it bc we are not a big market team

If we keep winning we will become a "big market" team. The media and fans love winners, if we can continue this success and win SBs the bandwagoners will come, if we want them or not.
"Think like a man of action and act like a man of thought" - Henri Louis Bergson

What would 52 do?

#14 Im Too Legendary

Im Too Legendary

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

I reside within Los Angeles and I'm a die-hard Ravens fan! :)

#15 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,449 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:04 AM

I reside within Los Angeles and I'm a die-hard Ravens fan! :)

Los Angeles has a lot of Ravens fans for some reason. Probably because of shear numbers but its also a good fanbase out here.

@gabefergy

#16 Corvus_corax

Corvus_corax

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:12 AM

I'm a big fan of John Harbaugh, I think he's a really good Head Coach. Three appearances in the AFC Championship game in five years is a record that most Head Coaches would be envious of and rightly so. As well as his obvious coaching abilities I also think Harbaugh comes across really well in his press conferences. He seems like a likeable guy.

It would be fantastic for John Harbaugh if we could win on Sunday. I'm sure he doesn't want to be known as the Head Coach who is 0-3 in Championship games.

#17 Raven07

Raven07

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:18 AM

of course, got to give props an credit where its due. Harbaugh has been the driving force both on and off the playing field, both mentally and physically. the man knows how to lead and guide a team the right way, a real interpersonal guy which I think the players and coaches and Raven personnel feed off of. a True testament to what it means to be a Raven (coach wise) . I wish nothing but the best now and in the future for our team :)
Posted Image
yes,Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs, Ford, Deadliest Catch exc is my Cousin. 2nd Cousin to be exact.
- Baltimore Ravens Message board First Hall of Famer

#18 Jitamon

Jitamon

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:16 AM

I agree, major props to Coach Harbaugh. I feel he is a blessing to our organization and a heck of a head coach. So much goes into being an effective leader and so far John Harbaugh has the "it " quality. I am so proud of our team, and it starts from the top down.

#19 mattyjh10

mattyjh10

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:26 AM

Coach Harbaugh is definetly a players coach its great to see all the players have so much respect for the guy him and ray rice crouching down as JT took tht kick and the following kiss on the head summed it all up for me, so much respect for the guy, we couldnt ask for a better coach.

#20 uhhhh

uhhhh

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:23 AM

I live in The Netherlands and I'm a Ravensfan. Stay up deep in the night, sometime till 6am just to watch their games, right before I go to work.

The great thing with Harbs is, is that he gives but also recieves a lot of respect from the players. I don't know which week it was, but there was almost a mutiny and he just sat down and listened to the players instead of using his authority.
Showing that he cared about them. Other coaches are to arrogant or too much of a controle freak to do that.

What's wrong with crows? Compared to a poor bird that's been caged and forgotten how to fly, this is much better. "I'm fine with being a crow" -  Harumichi Bouya

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users