15 replies to this topic

#1 Warren2621

Warren2621

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:20 AM

I never really knew how old Ozzie was because I think if he's a HOF Browns TE then he must be 70. He's only 56. Should be around for a while. Here's to many more solid drafts. It'll be nice having the 32nd pick.

#2 Footman DCXLV

Footman DCXLV

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:28 AM

I don't think his age is really an issue. But, it's been said in the past that he wants to go back to Alabama at some point. Hopefully later rather than sooner, if at all.

Posted Image

#3 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:45 AM

I don't think his age is really an issue. But, it's been said in the past that he wants to go back to Alabama at some point. Hopefully later rather than sooner, if at all.

Please elaborate on 'go back'? Just to go home and settle down? Or to be involved in the football program in Tuscaloosa?

As a Mississippi State fan, that would be just way unfair. Saban and Ozzie would bleed the talent pool DRY lol
"No weapon forged against us shall prosper. And every tongue which rises against us in judgment, we shall condemn."

#4 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:46 AM

I never really knew how old Ozzie was because I think if he's a HOF Browns TE then he must be 70. He's only 56. Should be around for a while. Here's to many more solid drafts. It'll be nice having the 32nd pick.

It's DeCosta's job when Ozzie leaves. And while Ozzie gets the credit for the draft success, Eric is truly the unsung hero of our offseaons.
"No weapon forged against us shall prosper. And every tongue which rises against us in judgment, we shall condemn."

#5 ArmyRavensFan

ArmyRavensFan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:53 AM

When Ozzie retires, whenever that may be, I am not too worried. I think the Ravens are in good hands with Eric DeCosta. Ozzie did well preparing him, that is why everyone keeps trying to hire DeCosta as their GM.

#6 Footman DCXLV

Footman DCXLV

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

Please elaborate on 'go back'? Just to go home and settle down? Or to be involved in the football program in Tuscaloosa?

I'm not completely sure. I found an old article in which he was purposefully vague in his comments, just saying "I'll be back." My understanding is that he wants to be involved in that organization, though.
That being said, Eric DeCosta has really been groomed well in advance to take over that role, and as much of a genius as we all know Ozzie to be, I expect the Ravens won't miss a beat when that transition finally takes place. I'm glad to see the recent loyalty shown by DeCosta, choosing to stay with Baltimore rather than taking a GM job elsewhere.

Posted Image

#7 jdynamite

jdynamite

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,612 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

I've been wondering how long as will stay with the team. Because Decosta can't sit and wait around forever, soon or later he may get a lucrative offer he can't refuse.

#8 RobFuseRaven

RobFuseRaven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

I've been wondering how long as will stay with the team. Because Decosta can't sit and wait around forever, soon or later he may get a lucrative offer he can't refuse.

He's already got a lucrative offer at home getting paid as much as a GM. I doubt he will go anywhere else.

2z3w5ms.png

“If anybody comes inside, I want to kill them.” -Marshal Yanda

#9 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

I'm not completely sure. I found an old article in which he was purposefully vague in his comments, just saying "I'll be back." My understanding is that he wants to be involved in that organization, though.
That being said, Eric DeCosta has really been groomed well in advance to take over that role, and as much of a genius as we all know Ozzie to be, I expect the Ravens won't miss a beat when that transition finally takes place. I'm glad to see the recent loyalty shown by DeCosta, choosing to stay with Baltimore rather than taking a GM job elsewhere.

Eric has young children and loves the area. He has such a sweet gig learning from Ozzie, getting paid GM money, having a guaranteed GM job once the boss man retires, and all of this on a perennial Super Bowl contending team. He'd be CRAZY to pack up and go somewhere else.

#10 Footman DCXLV

Footman DCXLV

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

He'd be CRAZY to pack up and go somewhere else.

I agree with that, but you still can't ever blame a guy for taking a higher position elsewhere. Whether it's an offensive or defensive coordinator leaving a good team to be the head coach of a bad team, or an assistant GM leaving to be the GM of another team, you wouldn't be able to blame him if he did want to leave now to have that high position.
That being said, I'm so glad it isn't the case. Now, if only a few players would develop that same loyalty and take a smaller check. I'm looking at you, Kruger. Wishful thinking, I know.

Posted Image

#11 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

I agree with that, but you still can't ever blame a guy for taking a higher position elsewhere. Whether it's an offensive or defensive coordinator leaving a good team to be the head coach of a bad team, or an assistant GM leaving to be the GM of another team, you wouldn't be able to blame him if he did want to leave now to have that high position.
That being said, I'm so glad it isn't the case. Now, if only a few players would develop that same loyalty and take a smaller check. I'm looking at you, Kruger. Wishful thinking, I know.

But that's the thing. DeCosta is being paid the same as GM's. Why would he leave to be paid the same somewhere else. The only motivation for him to pack up and go would be if he wanted the title a couple of years sooner than if he would have stayed. Steve Bisciotti made billions of dollars being an excellent businessman, and he made Eric an offer he couldn't refuse.

#12 Footman DCXLV

Footman DCXLV

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

I'm not arguing with you. The only reasons to leave would be for a higher title, which he could have sooner somewhere else, or if another team offered more money, which some of the worse teams in the league might be willing to do. Nonetheless, he has plenty of motivation to stay, too. I was just presenting the case in general, that you couldn't blame somebody who did make the decision to leave for a high position.

Posted Image

#13 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,823 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

As a Mississippi State fan, that would be just way unfair. Saban and Ozzie would bleed the talent pool DRY lol

There have been mentions that Ozzie could end up in Alabama as their Athletic Director. I know a few years ago there was talk that Ozzie wanted to stay with the Ravens until AT LEAST his kid(s) finished school up in Maryland. I'm figuring they probably already have.

But I also think that Ozzie has such great admiration for Saban and he loves the control he has down there. So I can't really see Ozzie going to Alabama unless Saban makes a move to the NFL, etc.

Eric has young children and loves the area. He has such a sweet gig learning from Ozzie, getting paid GM money, having a guaranteed GM job once the boss man retires, and all of this on a perennial Super Bowl contending team. He'd be CRAZY to pack up and go somewhere else.

It's not crazy. How long can a driven man sit around to be the big boss man, when other opportunities exist. I wouldn't blame him either for leaving. He does have a sweet gig with good money here.

Edited by PuRock, 15 January 2013 - 11:15 AM.

Posted Image

#14 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,066 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

The Ravens are extremely fortunate in being able to retain DeCosta. While other teams need do their GM dance every so often, we can rest assured that there is stability and talent at the helm.

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#15 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

I say his going to stay here for a good length of time.

And he should. The city of baltimore love Ozzie, and so far his been a rock to our foundation.

Few people are worried about Decosta leaving, but from the way how league treats their GM(1-2 year then they are fired) decosta will stay here unless he sees a better organization then ours.

#16 Fang

Fang

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

If Ozzie tries to leave let's all goto the Castle and block the doorway. :banana1:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users