30 replies to this topic

#1 usmccharles

usmccharles

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

So im sure some of you have heard of this, most likely because of the video that went viral, if not heres the video

So after watching that video i was intrigued, ive always wanted to try yoga but i guess i have to much of an ego to go to a class or anything like that, and i was a huge wrestling fan when i was younger, so the fact that Diamond Dallas Page came out with his own style of yoga, i figured id give it a go. In case you havent heard of it, its called YRG, Yoga for Regular Guys, he changes some of the names to make it less "girly" and uses a very interesting concept of muscle resistance.

I just finished my first clip, it was roughly 30mins long and i must say, i feel great. I was in the Marines for 5 years but im not a big guy nor am i cut, im 5'9 @160 right now with a little beer gut, so im really interested in what this can do for somebody with my build.

Im interested in some of your thoughts, reviews if you have tried it or anything....

Charles

Edited by usmccharles, 15 January 2013 - 09:53 AM.

KCCO

#2 Malkavian Raven

Malkavian Raven

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

I already do Yoga on a regular basis, but I will definitely look into this to see how it compares to my normal regiment.

One of the biggest changes for me when doing Yoga was my joints would snap & pop whenever I would roll my wrist or ankle, bend my knee or elbow or roll my shoulders or neck. After about three months of doing yoga once a week, the snapping and popping in my joints ceased.

Like most guys, I thought Yoga was kind of "girly" but once you get past the idea of something like Yoga being "gender biased" -- it's actually quite fun to see how far you can push yourself.

Thanks for this information. Once I get my hands on it, I'll see how it compares and let you know. ;)

AND THEY SHALL KNOW NO GOOD OR PEACE, NOR SHALL THEIR SUFFERING EVER CEASE
logout.png
UNTIL THEY HUMBLY COME & BEG FOR MERCY ON THEIR KNEES, WHICH I MAY GRANT IF I SHOULD PLEASE

#3 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

Shoot... I'm just glad to see DDP doing his thing

1Untitled_zps8afd95ac.pngbench_zps0a7ce32d.jpg

#4 Malkavian Raven

Malkavian Raven

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

Shoot... I'm just glad to see DDP doing his thing

BANG!!!

logout.png
UNTIL THEY HUMBLY COME & BEG FOR MERCY ON THEIR KNEES, WHICH I MAY GRANT IF I SHOULD PLEASE

#5 Ragin'Raven

Ragin'Raven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

Well I'm a fitness gal, but I'll join in the conversation! :) I love Yoga. I haven't done it in awhile, but I did it while I was pregnant with both of my boys, and I plan on doing it with this baby too. I am actually doing Pilates right now though. I have finally found a really great gym in the area (was searching for a good fit since we moved here). They have all sorts of classes, so I am looking forward to getting more involved with Yoga coming up. The benefits are very real, as that video shows, and it's just fun! :)

I'm a mama of three boys. Nothing scares or disgusts me anymore. 

#6 Guest_Moderator 6_*

Guest_Moderator 6_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

Yoga might be 'girly' but it is one of the hardest workouts I've ever done. It really works the core which people tend to neglect. It's also great for balance and flexibility and I highly recommend it.

#7 Malkavian Raven

Malkavian Raven

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

Yoga might be 'girly' but it is one of the hardest workouts I've ever done. It really works the core which people tend to neglect. It's also great for balance and flexibility and I highly recommend it.

The first few weeks I did Yoga, I was laughing cause my entire body was pouring sweat... and I was just like, "What the...? I'm not even doing anything."

I love Yoga. I will probably do it every week for the rest of my life.

logout.png

#8 usmccharles

usmccharles

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

Well I'm a fitness gal, but I'll join in the conversation! :) I love Yoga. I haven't done it in awhile, but I did it while I was pregnant with both of my boys, and I plan on doing it with this baby too. I am actually doing Pilates right now though. I have finally found a really great gym in the area (was searching for a good fit since we moved here). They have all sorts of classes, so I am looking forward to getting more involved with Yoga coming up. The benefits are very real, as that video shows, and it's just fun! :)

Well come on in too! how often did you used to do it....

The first few weeks I did Yoga, I was laughing cause my entire body was pouring sweat... and I was just like, "What the...? I'm not even doing anything."

I love Yoga. I will probably do it every week for the rest of my life.

Yea the 30mins i did earlier i felt it big time. Im just worried that im not doing some of the positions correctly. The ddp yoga workout guide is 5days a week, i dont know if thats a lot for yoga or not.
KCCO

#9 Malkavian Raven

Malkavian Raven

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

Yea the 30mins i did earlier i felt it big time. Im just worried that im not doing some of the positions correctly. The ddp yoga workout guide is 5days a week, i dont know if thats a lot for yoga or not.

Not sure if you've ever tried, but one of the things I do before trying any workout is watching how it is done before I do it. Sometimes, that means sitting down and watching the entire video and making mental notes as I go. Yoga is one of those things it is very easy to do the incorrect way. Sure, you'll get some benefits from it but not the full benefits.

My biggest problem, and I still catch myself doing it, is controlling my breath. I always catch myself inhaling when I should be exhaling, vice versa or just simply breathing normally.

I was browsing the site earlier, may just go ahead and order the Max Pack; that'll be my birthday present. ;)

logout.png

#10 Ragin'Raven

Ragin'Raven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

Well come on in too! how often did you used to do it....

I did yoga twice a week; a Tuesday/Thursday class. Like I said, I enjoyed it very much. My husband has done it before, but he's a jogger, and he's much more into those types of exercises.

#11 Salt

Salt

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

If you are worried about your ego, try Bikram. It will kick your butt. My class is usually about 50/50 men and women. I practice a couple different styles and it is one of my top favorites.

ETA: Sorry I'm not a guy and I answered this, but you got my attention with the yoga part. I'm preparing to go to teacher training soon.

Edited by Salt, 15 January 2013 - 09:27 AM.

#12 usmccharles

usmccharles

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

If you are worried about your ego, try Bikram. It will kick your butt. My class is usually about 50/50 men and women. I practice a couple different styles and it is one of my top favorites.

ETA: Sorry I'm not a guy and I answered this, but you got my attention with the yoga part. I'm preparing to go to teacher training soon.

Ill look that up for sure! and dont apoligize, when i said guys i wasnt being gender specific really, just meant guys as everyone.....
KCCO

#13 jus'_crAzy

jus'_crAzy

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Yoga is the devil's workout! But it did make me more limber.

I don't know how people do it on the regular.

(OO=[||][||]=OO)  ///M

#14 Moderator 2

Moderator 2

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,494 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

I never thought I could do it because of my knees-- this looks intriguing
68f2a8.jpg

#15 theblackdog

theblackdog

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

I may try this out. I liked doing Yoga anyway and if this can help me drop a few pounds, it's already worth it.
Posted Image
Thanks to Kia Kaha for the sig!

#16 usmccharles

usmccharles

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

I never thought I could do it because of my knees-- this looks intriguing

When i was in the Marines i tore my meniscus and had surgery. I still cant run or do anything with it, so this will be interesting.
KCCO

#17 Moderator 2

Moderator 2

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,494 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

I need 2 replacements-- but since I can't do leg presses and the like I want to strengthen the quads and such so rehab is easier. I swim but its not the right muscles to stabilize the knee.
68f2a8.jpg

#18 Ragin'Raven

Ragin'Raven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Has anyone ever done a spinning class? That is a workout! :)

#19 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Mintberry Crunch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

So im sure some of you have heard of this, most likely because of the video that went viral, if not heres the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

So after watching that video i was intrigued, ive always wanted to try yoga but i guess i have to much of an ego to go to a class or anything like that, and i was a huge wrestling fan when i was younger, so the fact that Diamond Dallas Page came out with his own style of yoga, i figured id give it a go. In case you havent heard of it, its called YRG, Yoga for Regular Guys, he changes some of the names to make it less "girly" and uses a very interesting concept of muscle resistance.

I just finished my first clip, it was roughly 30mins long and i must say, i feel great. I was in the Marines for 5 years but im not a big guy nor am i cut, im 5'9 @160 right now with a little beer gut, so im really interested in what this can do for somebody with my build.

Im interested in some of your thoughts, reviews if you have tried it or anything....

Charles

Fascinating to see what this particular wrsetler incorporates into his routine. And I now know what the usmc :iwojima: in your name stands for!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK THE MODS!!!

Honestly, I am surprised that you (Poe) got second. After the draft I thought your team was doomed for failure.

You get used to it. Even posts that don't violate the rules aren't safe.

#20 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,264 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:18 AM

I've never tried this variety but I really enjoy yoga in general. It's quite a workout and really helps me relax and focus. It's also great for posture and flexibility.

@gabefergy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users