69 replies to this topic

#41 Blex64

Blex64

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

Thanks for explaining to a tea..perfect...a 30 second 70 yard heave ?

Why it matters either way baffles me, the Ravens won and that matters most

A Hail Mary is a last-second desperation throw into the endzone, like the Seahawks' final play yesterday. Its called a Hail Mary because you have to say a prayer to complete it.

A deep pass late in the game is not the same thing as a Hail Mary. A Hail Mary is a late deep passes, but not every late deep pass is a Hail Mary.

#42 cursona pirate

cursona pirate

Pickle Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,818 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

When did we throw a Hail Mary? What I saw was Jacoby beat his defender and Joe used his arm to hit him. There was no Hail Mary. A Hail Mary doesn't entail hitting a receiver on the sidelines en route.

As for Moore. He'll get some hate but I see a lot of people sticking up for him on their message boards. He's not the only one that made a mistake. Its just like Evans/Cundiff for us last year.

Except they both were cut? lol

12540_520124434672144_755007992_n.jpg

Go San Jose Sharks and Baltimore Orioles as well!!!

#43 Tank 92

Tank 92

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

C'mon guys really? He "launched it as long as he could throw it..period. It was not over the shoulder catch on the dead run.....It was a very very poor play on Denver , especially under 3rd and 7 at their own 30 yard line. Even though the safty misplayed it, he stll had plenty of time to get back and either knock it down or even intercept it....c'mon he made the worst play on the ball that was NOT thrown long enough and the reciever was back peddling and caught a basket catch. Having said that, Flacco threw it and ya'll got the touchdown. Another point was the 60 yarder that he threw at least 7 -9 yards short and your reciever made a great adjustment on the ball and defender and whala...another touchdown. If he would have hit him over the shoulder in stride , thats another story. Once again another touchdown. If Joe keeps throwing like that he will be burned eventually. Nearly perfect pass....really???? That being said you are playing the worst defense out of the final 4 and have a great chance to get to the big dance......if Flacco keeps playing well.

Read below.

I also don't think people are giving Jacoby enough credit for his route and how it played into beating Moore. In Cam's offense our players are coached to "beat the ball to the spot" (direct quote from Harbaugh). As fans, we tend to think Joe is underthrowing the receivers or throwing the ball late, but it turns out that's what they're supposed to do. I also once heard Joe say that he throws those contested sideline throws on purpose. He throws the ball down field directly at the back of the defender's head so he even if he has position he can't locate it (a la the 32-yarder to Torrey over Bailey). Back on topic, Jacoby burned by Carter and then slowed down for about 4 strides. In my opinion, that 4 stride decrease in speed is what fooled Moore who already didn't think Joe could make the throw he made. I think it was the thin air, plus underestimation of Joe's ability (thank you media), plus Jacoby's route running, plus a rookie trying to do too much in a critical situation that led to that play.

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#44 funky141

funky141

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

Dude, you need to stop. The indy is coming out in you. LOL!

So let's say there is 12 minutes left in the game, Flacco gets flushed from the pocket and finds an open JJ for the 70 yard TD. Get over it. It wasn't a Hail Mary, nor was it a desperation throw or a "heave". It was a QB scrambling to avoid the rush and finding an open receiver that got behind the D. Joe has thrown that pass many times. Pretty good arm, huh? LOL!

to me any long bomb for a TD with under a minute to either tie or win the game is a hail mary, just because the the receivers didn't line up all on one side before the snap of the ball. The "Hail Mary" got it terms long time ago because of the long high arching of the pass into the waiting hands of a receiver.
does it really matter, not really..

#45 jimmypowder

jimmypowder

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

I'm still in a state of shock over one of the greatest games I have ever or will ever see.

No Hail Mary ,but we are destined to win it all !

#46 Bump N Run

Bump N Run

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

Another reason to hate that Mark Kiszla guy. Writes an article about Moore and made tweets about how it was the worst play by a Bronco ever and dwelled on it.

http://www.denverpos...re-taking-blame

This guy is such a media joke. He takes too much of a 'fan' approach. There were many things wrong with Denver than just this one play. Its a tough play for a Safety when a QB can make that throw. It isn't something they are used to tracking. He thought he had the right break on the ball, but didn't. It happens to many safeties in the league.

I love how he uses a head shot from 20 years ago at the top of his articles.

#47 rlh445

rlh445

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

A long bomb for a TD is just that - a long bomb for a TD. A Hail Mary is a desperate pass to numerous receivers waiting in the end zone with nary a chance for success that players pray will work, thus the name of the play......a Hail Mary. I'm not sure what about that is so hard to understand. Perhaps not seeing the Colts score a single touchdown in their last game has made you forget what one looks like? :268213:

This is football, not teacups with the Queen.

#48 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,093 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Why people keep calling this a Hail Mary I don't know. Joe knew the route Jacoby was running, and plain and simple Jacoby had his man beat - now it's obvious that if the Denver corner had been doing his job correctly he would have been in good position to either break up the pass or at least stop Jacoby from scoring, but he wasn't - same thing happened last year in Pittsburgh when Ryan Clark got out of position and Joe found Torrey in the endzone.

#49 Ray Ray Ravens

Ray Ray Ravens

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

Joe put up these passes all night! Especially against Champ to put points on the board. They were not expecting Jacoby deep after the drop on 3rd down. Flacco seen it and Jacoby got it. Maybe they expected another throw and got beat by the unexpected.
Posted Image

#50 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,627 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

Another reason to hate that Mark Kiszla guy. Writes an article about Moore and made tweets about how it was the worst play by a Bronco ever and dwelled on it.

http://www.denverpos...re-taking-blame

This guy is such a media joke. He takes too much of a 'fan' approach. There were many things wrong with Denver than just this one play. Its a tough play for a Safety when a QB can make that throw. It isn't something they are used to tracking. He thought he had the right break on the ball, but didn't. It happens to many safeties in the league.

Up here in Canada we call those kinds of guys "plugs" lol.

Edited by Bltravens, 14 January 2013 - 07:23 PM.

#51 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

No Hail Mary on the Bronco Buster

Bronco Buster/ Flacco Fling are both appropriate to me. Good job

#52 CosmicRedPanda

CosmicRedPanda

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,608 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

Who cares? ... Is it really that big of a freaking deal?

Gawd.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me;

I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

#53 Blex64

Blex64

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

to me any long bomb for a TD with under a minute to either tie or win the game is a hail mary, just because the the receivers didn't line up all on one side before the snap of the ball. The "Hail Mary" got it terms long time ago because of the long high arching of the pass into the waiting hands of a receiver.

http://en.wikipedia..../Hail_Mary_pass

What you think a Hail Mary is is irrelevant. It was not a Hail Mary.

#54 ArmyRavensFan

ArmyRavensFan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:07 AM

Thanks for explaining to a tea..perfect...a 30 second 70 yard heave ?

Why it matters either way baffles me, the Ravens won and that matters most

What Russel Wilson threw at the end of the Atlanta / Seahawks game was a hail mary. All of the receivers in the end zone along with almost all of the defensive backs all jumping for the ball. What Flacco threw was a long pass that flew 55 yards in the air, caught at the 20 yard line and ran into the end zone.

#55 Gtown Purple

Gtown Purple

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:19 AM

Thanks to the person who got rid of the -1 for me. I didn't intend for the term "hail mary" to be taken as a slight. I simply didn't know what else to call it. Called play or not, from a defensive perspective you have to know the situation. There is less than a minute left and your opponent has to drive 60-70 yards to score a touchdown to tie. A simple all streak play should not beat you deep. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it worked but I still couldn't believe it. Big ups to Joe for putting that pass on the money. He did really well with his deep balls in that game.

#56 jaege

jaege

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

What? If it was named for its arch it would be called a Hail McDonalds. Smh. It is called a hail Mary because you hurl it to heaven and pray to "Mary" (mother of Jesus, that Mary) that one of your guys will catch it.
It's so nice to be insane...

CAM GOT FIRED!!!!!

Joe Cool is the MAN!!!

Ravens

World Champions

#57 callahan09

callahan09

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

I posted this on an ESPN board where people kept calling it a blown coverage, awful defensive play and refusing to give Flacco any credit.

If anyone sees any flaws with my argument, don't be afraid to let me know.

The reason that this play was successful is 100% because of Joe Flacco. Did Denver's coverage allow the play to occur? Yes it did, and that is the case in nearly 100% of cases where an offensive play is a success. If the defense was mistake-free all game, then you'd have a shut-out. But the offense can confuse, confound, and corrupt a defense and make them make mistakes, which is what happened on that play.

Let me explain: On the previous play, Flacco steps up in the pocket, then takes off running for a 7 yard gain up the middle as the pocket broken down around him. He immediately lines his team up and gets a snap off quick, and as the pocket breaks down around him, he makes the very same motion that he did on the previous play, evading the pass rush, stepping up in the pocket, and for a split second he tricks them into thinking he's going to take off running again. This cheats the safety up. That was a mistake on the safety's part, but it was a mistake INDUCED BY THE PLAY OF THE OFFENSE.

The scramble on the previous play, followed by what appeared to be another potential scramble, allow the receiver to get open and the safety to guess on the play and misplay the ball when he realized he'd guessed wrong. Flacco throws that ball while running forward to escape a pass rush, which is a very tough throw to make without setting the feet, getting 55 or so yards down field, and it was an incredibly accurate throw, arced perfectly to fall at a high angle into the receiver's arms.

Everything about that play and that drive was perfectly executed to allow for a maximum probability of success.

#58 jimmypowder

jimmypowder

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

All those folks calling the pass a Hail Mary are just trying to minimize Flacco's accomplishment .

Not many QB's could have thrown that pass .Period.

#59 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,203 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

All those folks calling the pass a Hail Mary are just trying to minimize Flacco's accomplishment .

Not many QB's could have thrown that pass .Period.

I don't think people realize how hard it is to throw a pass that deep right on the sideline. You can't go anymore left because of the safety. You can't go any more farther (I mean seriously, that's about as far as it can go). You can't have it go left, then its out of bounds. Sure we got a lucky break with the safety, but the throw was absolutely stellar and it worked!
Posted Image

#60 imamachinejerk

imamachinejerk

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

Vote for Joe!!! Not enough posts to start a new thread. http://www.nfl.com/p...nce/2012/REG/19

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users