Upcoming Events:  Lil Ravens Camp      Training Camp Stadium Practices      Movie Night   

Watch Training Camp LIVE Thursday at 8:30 am ET

Ravens training camp kicks off Thursday & we're bringing the action directly to you! News, analysis, giveaways and more! More info ยป
Close

Photo

The Hail Mary/Flacco Fling

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

Perhaps they will trade us Moore. I would love to have Rahim Moore. Perhaps we can get him for a 7th? I'll trade them Cody for Moore.

I'll take Moore with 7th pick........

I think sore losers would call it a Hail Mary when we have 2 timeouts and 30s left which is alot of time left on the board, additionally with 3rd and 2. They just can't accept the fact that strong arm Joe cool beat them with his deep pass all night long...

PS: Evans and Cundiff lost us AFC championship last year, but I wasn't all crazy to call their heads, just snuck in corner and cry for the unfortunate.....
2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#22 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,753 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

a "Hail Mary" pass is a last minute desperation thing. Joe's pass to Jacoby wasn't that imo.

~Mili

Militant X 1

RayLewisSig1_zps3a0863e0.png

"I May be Done but I'm not Gone!"

- Ray Lewis

#23 Clutch Ravens

Clutch Ravens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

It was. Was also the same direction for the OT kick. That little back wind helped us on two crucial plays.

Pretty sure it helped both of Holliday's returns as well, though.

Kicking left to right Tucker was only getting the ball a couple of yards deep in to the endzone. Right to left he was pinging it through the uprights on kickoffs.
2013 BR.com Mock Draft: Arizona Cardinals
#7 Overall - Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon
#38 Overall - Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State
#94 Overall - Corey Lemonier, OLB, Auburn
#113 Overall - E.J. Manuel, QB, FSU
#144 Overall - Joseph Randle, RB, OSU
#178 Overall - Jordan Mills, OT/G, Louisiana Tech
#218 Overall - Greg Reid, CB, FSU
#224 Overall - Knile Davis, RB, Arkansas

#24 SamStrife

SamStrife

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

Calling that play a Hail Mary is doing a great disservice to both Flacco and Jones. It was a fantastic play by Jones coupled with a perfect deep pass from Flacco. Of course there was a tad bit of luck and it was capitalizing on Moore's error but calling it a hail mary makes it seem like Joe just put it up and hoped.

#25 beasy2487

beasy2487

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

It definitely wasn't a Hail Mary, even Jones said so because there was an actual play call for what happened.

As for Rahim Moore, he happened to get beat on one critical play, and if some so-called "fans" are going to be low enough as to make death threats, then they really need to stop watching the game.

I also don't think people are giving Jacoby enough credit for his route and how it played into beating Moore. In Cam's offense our players are coached to "beat the ball to the spot" (direct quote from Harbaugh). As fans, we tend to think Joe is underthrowing the receivers or throwing the ball late, but it turns out that's what they're supposed to do. I also once heard Joe say that he throws those contested sideline throws on purpose. He throws the ball down field directly at the back of the defender's head so he even if he has position he can't locate it (a la the 32-yarder to Torrey over Bailey). Back on topic, Jacoby burned by Carter and then slowed down for about 4 strides. In my opinion, that 4 stride decrease in speed is what fooled Moore who already didn't think Joe could make the throw he made. I think it was the thin air, plus underestimation of Joe's ability (thank you media), plus Jacoby's route running, plus a rookie trying to do too much in a critical situation that led to that play.

Edited by beasy2487, 14 January 2013 - 12:15 PM.

#26 IMissMattStover

IMissMattStover

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

With just 30 seconds left (anything under a minute really) and passing far as you can hoping your player comes down with is a Hail Mary....lets be real people..

just because it wasn't called a hail mary in the huddle doesn't mean it was not..

Lets be real? Watch the replays. There eas nothing hail mary about that. Joe saw a lapse in coverage and planted the ball right where it needed to be for Jacoby to catch it. It was a long passing play, not a hail mary at all. You are the one who needs to be real. There was no desperation in it, and no mindless lob into the endzone.
He who laughs when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on.
Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on Earth, with a top speed of 120 feet-per-second, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter.
Entropy just isn't what it used to be.
Never, under any circumstances, take sleeping pills and a laxative on the same night.

#27 MTRavensFan

MTRavensFan

Veteran

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

switch the outcomes and this board would be doing the same thing.

One would certainly hope not. It's distressing to see (unless it's Cary Williams getting beat AGAIN :) )

And while Kiszla is certainly a tool, it would have been nice last week to see a little bit of "fan-mentality" loyalty from our own Sun and WNST reporters, none of whom gave us a chance.
"I would suggest not wringing those hands so hard that you sprain them. Take a chill pill." - Eisenberg

#28 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,811 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Pretty sure it helped both of Holliday's returns as well, though.

Kicking left to right Tucker was only getting the ball a couple of yards deep in to the endzone. Right to left he was pinging it through the uprights on kickoffs.

This is true. Whenever either side was kicking left to right you could see the difference. Both of Holliday's returns were of the left to right kick variety. The wind wasn't much. But in a cold weather game, it seemed to have a slight factor.

I was happy when the quarter ended and we were going to have a shot kicking the FG in the right direction.
Posted Image

#29 Salt

Salt

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

That play really wasn't a Hail Mary type of play, at least not in my eyes. That was a great deep ball play.

This. Hail Marys are desperation. Joe knew exactly what he was doing.

#30 funky141

funky141

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

a "Hail Mary" pass is a last minute desperation thing. Joe's pass to Jacoby wasn't that imo.

~Mili

Thanks for explaining to a tea..perfect...a 30 second 70 yard heave ?

Why it matters either way baffles me, the Ravens won and that matters most

#31 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

LOL

a heave? It wasn't a heave. It was placed nearly perfect into Jacoby's hands. He slowed down one step to receive it. It matters because it completely discounts Jacoby's route running ability that allowed him to get behind two defenders, and Flacco's deep pass capability, the read he made to see Jacoby had beaten the coverage, and the accuracy of the pass. Hail Mary's are made with no aim and are followed by a prayer. Both Jones and Flacco knew exactly what they were doing.

Edited by ravensdfan, 14 January 2013 - 01:34 PM.

The first testicular guard, the "Cup" was used in hockey in 1874. The first helmet was used in 1974. That means it only took men 100 years to realize their brain was also important.

#32 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Moore gets the same raw deal Bill Buckner got. The Red Sox made numerous mistakes in that game but everybody only remembers the ball through the legs. It's not fair but that's how it unfolds.

But I do like The Flacco Fling. It was in a local paper and I like the ring to it. Flacco has the strongest arm in the league and he should have a name for it when he hits one of our burners DEEP.
"No weapon forged against us shall prosper. And every tongue which rises against us in judgment, we shall condemn."

#33 funky141

funky141

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

LOL

a heave? It wasn't a heave. It was placed nearly perfect into Jacoby's hands. He slowed down one step to receive it. It matters because it completely discounts Jacoby's route running ability that allowed him to get behind two defenders, and Flacco's deep pass capability, the read he made to see Jacoby had beaten the coverage, and the accuracy of the pass. Hail Mary's are made with no aim and are followed by a prayer. Both Jones and Flacco knew exactly what they were doing.

Also if you didn't know Jacoby was not to run a go route but hew saw Flacco in trouble and took off thus the "heave" for a hail mary pass.

#34 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,107 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

Also if you didn't know Jacoby was not to run a go route but hew saw Flacco in trouble and took off thus the "heave" for a hail mary pass.

Please. It's not a hail mary, not even close. Call it a heave if you want, but it was a damn accurate heave meant for one player and it worked to perfection.

@gabefergy

#35 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,811 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

Please. It's not a hail mary, not even close. Call it a heave if you want, but it was a damn accurate heave meant for one player and it worked to perfection.

The offensive play call was not Hail Mary. I have never seen a hail Mary where you are counting on one guy for a catch. Plus to hit a guy on the sideline is skill that deep.

Russell Wilson threw a hail Mary attempt yesterday. You can plainly see a difference. Atlanta even put Julio in to guard against it.
Posted Image

#36 rlh445

rlh445

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

Dude, no. You're wrong, you know you're wrong so just stop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw9Po9eh4M8

THAT'S a Hail Mary. Wilson threw in the general direction of the end-zone and hoped one of his guys would catch it. A Hail Mary is defeined by the low, low chance of success and the only being able to run that one last play. The Ravens had another down and three yards with 30 seconds on the clock. Flacco knew exactly where he was throwing it and was aiming for a specific receiver. Period.

Edited by rlh445, 14 January 2013 - 01:48 PM.

This is football, not teacups with the Queen.

#37 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

With just 30 seconds left (anything under a minute really) and passing far as you can hoping your player comes down with is a Hail Mary....lets be real people..

just because it wasn't called a hail mary in the huddle doesn't mean it was not..

Dude, you need to stop. The indy is coming out in you. LOL!

So let's say there is 12 minutes left in the game, Flacco gets flushed from the pocket and finds an open JJ for the 70 yard TD. Get over it. It wasn't a Hail Mary, nor was it a desperation throw or a "heave". It was a QB scrambling to avoid the rush and finding an open receiver that got behind the D. Joe has thrown that pass many times. Pretty good arm, huh? LOL!

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#38 jus'_crAzy

jus'_crAzy

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

A poster has already been made of it!

Link

(OO=[||][||]=OO)  ///M

#39 omar586

omar586

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

that pass is what i call the real "Flaccoing", it will go down is one of the greatest plays

#40 ooo sugahhh 52

ooo sugahhh 52

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

please dont name the play! i know the "flacco fling" sounds cute but only corny fan bases name plays and games (steelers, cowboys, raiders) i prefer to call it "the ravens go into denver and beat the heavily favored broncos and their HOF quarterback even though no one outside of baltimore gave us a chance." not as catchy, but i like it better

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users