Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gtown Purple

The Hail Mary/Flacco Fling

70 posts in this topic

I find it hard to believe nobody else has started a thread on this. I can't recall any game tying\winning drive that was made to look easier than that one. Scramble for 5 yards and then chuck it 70+ for a TD. How many death threats has Rahim Moore gotten you think?

When did we throw a Hail Mary? What I saw was Jacoby beat his defender and Joe used his arm to hit him. There was no Hail Mary. A Hail Mary doesn't entail hitting a receiver on the sidelines en route.

As for Moore. He'll get some hate but I see a lot of people sticking up for him on their message boards. He's not the only one that made a mistake. Its just like Evans/Cundiff for us last year.

That play really wasn't a Hail Mary type of play, at least not in my eyes. That was a great deep ball play.

Hail Mary plays are the type of plays where the QB throws it towards the end-zone and hopes one of their receivers catches it (Seattle at the end of the 4th most notably).

it's sad of people, but i'm sure he'll receive a lot of hate.

but the hail mary is somewhat of a misnomer, it was only 3rd and 3, most people were probably expecting a short pass including Moore

We did not throw any Hail Mary to beat the Broncos. Jones beat his man and managed to get behind both defenders. Joe saw him and hit his receiver with a pass that traveled 60 yards in the air. Jones ran into the end zone.

A Hail Mary is a bunch of receivers & defenders together in or very near the end zone and the QB tosses up the ball, crossing his fingers that one of his guys can come down with it.

If that was a hail Mary than nearly half of the balls that Torrey has caught were hail Marys. I thought a hail Mary was more an unaimed desperation throw into a pack of players bearing prayers that someone with the right jersey catches it. That throw to JJ was well aimed, well thrown and fairly precise. Jones barely had to adjust for it to fall into his cradled arms.

It definitely wasn't a Hail Mary, even Jones said so because there was an actual play call for what happened.

As for Rahim Moore, he happened to get beat on one critical play, and if some so-called "fans" are going to be low enough as to make death threats, then they really need to stop watching the game.

With just 30 seconds left (anything under a minute really) and passing far as you can hoping your player comes down with is a Hail Mary....lets be real people..

just because it wasn't called a hail mary in the huddle doesn't mean it was not..

[quote name='theblackdog' timestamp='1358179155' post='1311508']
It definitely wasn't a Hail Mary, even Jones said so because there was an actual play call for what happened.

As for Rahim Moore, he happened to get beat on one critical play, and if some so-called "fans" are going to be low enough as to make death threats, then they really need to stop watching the game.
[/quote]

switch the outcomes and this board would be doing the same thing.

Another reason to hate that Mark Kiszla guy. Writes an article about Moore and made tweets about how it was the worst play by a Bronco ever and dwelled on it.

[url="http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_22364246/mark-kiszla-rahim-moore-taking-blame"]http://www.denverpos...re-taking-blame[/url]
[quote]Loser won't be the worst name Broncos safety Rahim Moore will be called after committing the biggest orange-and-blue blunder in team history.[/quote]

This guy is such a media joke. He takes too much of a 'fan' approach. There were many things wrong with Denver than just this one play. Its a tough play for a Safety when a QB can make that throw. It isn't something they are used to tracking. He thought he had the right break on the ball, but didn't. It happens to many safeties in the league.

[quote name='funky141' timestamp='1358179273' post='1311519']
[/quote]

Going back to last year, we did. But we also had a lot of fans that stuck up for the players (and realized that it was a team loss).

[quote name='PuRock' timestamp='1358177973' post='1311450']
When did we throw a Hail Mary? What I saw was Jacoby beat his defender and Joe used his arm to hit him. There was no Hail Mary. A Hail Mary doesn't entail hitting a receiver on the sidelines en route.

As for Moore. He'll get some hate but I see a lot of people sticking up for him on their message boards. He's not the only one that made a mistake. Its just like Evans/Cundiff for us last year.
[/quote]

I live out here in Denver, Moore is getting killed in the media out here, especially on talk radio. But, they also turn around and say that "Flacco didn't make one damn read all game, he only has one play!!!" I honestly just heard that on the way in to work this morning. They may not be rational, but they are all over Moore out here.

Listening to the local media around here is by far the best part of this for me. I normally don't get into this kind of stuff, but the level of disrespect shown out here was nuts. I will sum it up by paraphrasing Conan The Barbarian: "What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their sports guys" ;)

[quote name='Mick0311' timestamp='1358180490' post='1311569']
I live out here in Denver, [b]Moore is getting killed in the media out here[/b], especially on talk radio. But, they also turn around and say that "Flacco didn't make one damn read all game, he only has one play!!!" I honestly just heard that on the way in to work this morning. They may not be rational, but they are all over Moore out here.

Listening to the local media around here is by far the best part of this for me. I normally don't get into this kind of stuff, but the level of disrespect shown out here was nuts. I will sum it up by paraphrasing Conan The Barbarian: "What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their sports guys" ;)
[/quote]

I have no doubts he is getting bashed. There is probably a lot of talk about how the Broncos had to face the Ravens/refs, and how Denver beat Denver as well. etc. We do the same thing after a loss.

But a rational, objective person knows that neither Moore's one play, or the refs were a culmination of everything that occurred on the field. Manning was bad at times, pass protection broke down as the game went on (loss of Moreno hurt), they couldn't muster up a pass rush, they went conservative, missed a kick, etc. etc. etc.

I think that play had a little to do with the thin air and wind direction. I believe the wind was at Flacco's back. Moore thought the ball was going to land shorter than it did, and if you notice, the corner back thought it would be short as well. The ball just hung a little bit Moore than it should have :banana1:

[quote name='CalvinSmoke' timestamp='1358181295' post='1311589']
I think that play had a little to do with the thin air and wind direction. I[b] believe the wind was at Flacco's back[/b]. Moore thought the ball was going to land shorter than it did, and if you notice, the corner back thought it would be short as well. The ball just hung a little bit Moore than it should have :banana1:
[/quote]

It was. Was also the same direction for the OT kick. That little back wind helped us on two crucial plays.

This was not a Hail Mary. A Hail Mary is throwing the ball into a crowd and hoping your guys catches it. Flacco threw it to Jones in stride after Jones beat TWO broncos. Remember, Denver still had to defend the intermediate pass at that time.

Rahim Moore made a critical mistake. But the guy I blame more is John Fox. Making your Hall Of Fame QB who is having a MVP season take a knee with 31 seconds left and some timeouts is unforgivable. Isn't that the whole reason they dumped Tebow for Manning? Matt Ryan proved yesterday 25 seconds is more than enough time to get into field goal range.

[quote name='PuRock' timestamp='1358180758' post='1311573']
I have no doubts he is getting bashed. There is probably a lot of talk about how the Broncos had to face the Ravens/refs, and how Denver beat Denver as well. etc. We do the same thing after a loss.

But a rational, objective person knows that neither Moore's one play, or the refs were a culmination of everything that occurred on the field. Manning was bad at times, pass protection broke down as the game went on (loss of Moreno hurt), they couldn't muster up a pass rush, they went conservative, missed a kick, etc. etc. etc.
[/quote]
Perhaps they will trade us Moore. I would love to have Rahim Moore. Perhaps we can get him for a 7th? I'll trade them Cody for Moore.

[quote name='CalvinSmoke' timestamp='1358181295' post='1311589']
I think that play had a little to do with the thin air and wind direction. I believe the wind was at Flacco's back. Moore thought the ball was going to land shorter than it did, and if you notice, the corner back thought it would be short as well. The ball just hung a little bit Moore than it should have :banana1:
[/quote] Maybe, but Joe said he saw the safety playing flat and that's why he threw it. That's what you do as a quarterback. You exploit the mistakes in coverage.

[quote name='hawkprey' timestamp='1358181906' post='1311604']
Maybe, but Joe said he saw the safety playing flat and that's why he threw it. That's what you do as a quarterback. You exploit the mistakes in coverage.
[/quote]Fine by me. No complaints here

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1358181648' post='1311600']
Perhaps they will trade us Moore. I would love to have Rahim Moore. Perhaps we can get him for a 7th? I'll trade them Cody for Moore.
[/quote]
I'll take Moore with 7th pick........

I think sore losers would call it a Hail Mary when we have 2 timeouts and 30s left which is alot of time left on the board, additionally with 3rd and 2. They just can't accept the fact that strong arm Joe cool beat them with his deep pass all night long...

PS: Evans and Cundiff lost us AFC championship last year, but I wasn't all crazy to call their heads, just snuck in corner and cry for the unfortunate.....

[quote name='PuRock' timestamp='1358181610' post='1311598']
It was. Was also the same direction for the OT kick. That little back wind helped us on two crucial plays.
[/quote]

Pretty sure it helped both of Holliday's returns as well, though.

Kicking left to right Tucker was only getting the ball a couple of yards deep in to the endzone. Right to left he was pinging it through the uprights on kickoffs.

Calling that play a Hail Mary is doing a great disservice to both Flacco and Jones. It was a fantastic play by Jones coupled with a perfect deep pass from Flacco. Of course there was a tad bit of luck and it was capitalizing on Moore's error but calling it a hail mary makes it seem like Joe just put it up and hoped.

[quote name='theblackdog' timestamp='1358179155' post='1311508']

[/quote]

I also don't think people are giving Jacoby enough credit for his route and how it played into beating Moore. In Cam's offense our players are coached to "beat the ball to the spot" (direct quote from Harbaugh). As fans, we tend to think Joe is underthrowing the receivers or throwing the ball late, but it turns out that's what they're supposed to do. I also once heard Joe say that he throws those contested sideline throws on purpose. He throws the ball down field directly at the back of the defender's head so he even if he has position he can't locate it (a la the 32-yarder to Torrey over Bailey). Back on topic, Jacoby burned by Carter and then slowed down for about 4 strides. In my opinion, that 4 stride decrease in speed is what fooled Moore who already didn't think Joe could make the throw he made. I think it was the thin air, plus underestimation of Joe's ability (thank you media), plus Jacoby's route running, plus a rookie trying to do too much in a critical situation that led to that play.

[quote name='funky141' timestamp='1358179176' post='1311511']
With just 30 seconds left (anything under a minute really) and passing far as you can hoping your player comes down with is a Hail Mary....lets be real people..

just because it wasn't called a hail mary in the huddle doesn't mean it was not..
[/quote]

Lets be real? Watch the replays. There eas nothing hail mary about that. Joe saw a lapse in coverage and planted the ball right where it needed to be for Jacoby to catch it. It was a long passing play, not a hail mary at all. You are the one who needs to be real. There was no desperation in it, and no mindless lob into the endzone.

[quote name='funky141' timestamp='1358179273' post='1311519']
[/quote]
One would certainly hope not. It's distressing to see (unless it's Cary Williams getting beat AGAIN :) )

And while Kiszla is certainly a tool, it would have been nice last week to see a little bit of "fan-mentality" loyalty from our own Sun and WNST reporters, none of whom gave us a chance.

[quote name='Clutch Ravens' timestamp='1358182882' post='1311649']
Pretty sure it helped both of Holliday's returns as well, though.

Kicking left to right Tucker was only getting the ball a couple of yards deep in to the endzone. Right to left he was pinging it through the uprights on kickoffs.
[/quote]

This is true. Whenever either side was kicking left to right you could see the difference. Both of Holliday's returns were of the left to right kick variety. The wind wasn't much. But in a cold weather game, it seemed to have a slight factor.

I was happy when the quarter ended and we were going to have a shot kicking the FG in the right direction.

[quote name='CorvusCorax' timestamp='1358178009' post='1311452']
That play really wasn't a Hail Mary type of play, at least not in my eyes. That was a great deep ball play.

[/quote]

This. Hail Marys are desperation. Joe knew exactly what he was doing.

[quote name='Militant X 1' timestamp='1358182379' post='1311626']
a "Hail Mary" pass is a last minute desperation thing. Joe's pass to Jacoby wasn't that imo.

~Mili
[/quote]

Thanks for explaining to a tea..perfect...a 30 second 70 yard heave ?

Why it matters either way baffles me, the Ravens won and that matters most