Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jaege

A Broncos Post

25 posts in this topic

[b] "Once upon a time ...[/b]

[indent=1]... fans were just as critical of losses as they are now, but were more realistic as to how much influence they had over the situation. Fire the coach is an old, tried and true response, but only happens in pro football when it suits the owner.

With the advent of social media, fantasy football and video games (e.g., Madden), delusion has more deceptive outlets to grow. Evidence of it is in the ubiquitous usage of the first person plural personal pronoun.

The information age has inundated the dedicated fan with vastly more information than was once conceivable. Sadly, information alone doesn't make one more knowlegeable or bestow expertise, it just makes one more informed. Unfortunately, being more informed is deceptive and seductive enough to lead to the delusion that one is a participant and not just an observer."[/indent]

I saw this on the Broncos website. Very astute and very true. True of ALL fans. The poster was named sampernell.

True, the information age means everyone is an "expert" in all forms of media and entertainment, I'm just not sure how this relates to this board.

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1358174061' post='1311362']
True, the information age means everyone is an "expert" in all forms of media and entertainment,[i][b] I'm just not sure how this relates to this board.[/b][/i]
[/quote]

It actually speaks volumes about this and any other NFL fan forum.

In the interest of being kind I won't explain further.

True, the information age means everyone is an "expert" in all forms of media and entertainment, I'm just not sure how this relates to this board.
[/quote]

Naturally on [b]this[/b] board everyone is an all-knowledgeable, brilliant football strategist just waiting for an owner to give any of us that GM/HC/OC/DC job. This post was meant to represent other fan forums with all those lesser mortals. Naturally.

Well, the key word here is Delusional. What I get from this is that people aren't any more of an expert than they were before the information age, they just have more information to make them think that they are. We as on lookers fell that we are in control and that we know more than we really do. Which is why us fans use words like "we" and "my" when refering to their favorite sports teams. I don't know how much of that I can truly agree with but I do believe that "A little knowledge is dangerous" and that's a little bit of what this quote is refering to.

[quote name='jaege' timestamp='1358178589' post='1311483']
Naturally on [b]this[/b] board everyone is an all-knowledgeable, brilliant football strategist just waiting for an[b] owner to give any of us that GM/HC/OC/DC job.[/b] This post was meant to represent other fan forums with all those lesser mortals. Naturally.
[/quote]

Not me. I'm waiting for their Controller (Finance) position to open up.

[quote name='CalvinSmoke' timestamp='1358179758' post='1311542']
Well, the key word here is Delusional. ..... they just have more information to make them think that they are. We as on lookers fell that we are in control and that we know more than we really do.
[/quote]

Looks at Dan Snyder.

[quote name='PuRock' timestamp='1358180381' post='1311566']
Looks at Dan Snyder.
[/quote]
Notice I did say,"I don't know how much of that I can truly agree with" lol

[quote name='CalvinSmoke' timestamp='1358179758' post='1311542']
Well, the key word here is Delusional. What I get from this is that people aren't any more of an expert than they were before the information age, they just have more information to make them think that they are. We as on lookers fell that we are in control and that we know more than we really do. Which is why us fans use words like "we" and "my" when refering to their favorite sports teams. I don't know how much of that I can truly agree with but I do believe that "A little knowledge is dangerous" and that's a little bit of what this quote is refering to.
[/quote]

Ding ding ding ding ding. Give that man a cigar!

You do have a vast amount of information to dig through and make your own evaluation. Most of what you read now is biased toward one team or the other. Its hard to figure out what really is truth and what factors go into that truth. So much good info out there but there is just as much bad info.

Naturally on [b]this[/b] board everyone is an all-knowledgeable, brilliant football strategist
[/quote]

Obviously...those "I want Tyrod" and "Start Bulger" and "Ed Reed is hurting the team" threads were started by Steeler trolls just trying to make us Ravens fans look like idiots, lol...

But seriously, what is the point of this thread? That the internet allows us to form more informed opinions? Go figure,,,

[quote name='flynismo' timestamp='1358197366' post='1312085']
Obviously...those "I want Tyrod" and "Start Bulger" and "Ed Reed is hurting the team" threads were started by Steeler trolls just trying to make us Ravens fans look like idiots, lol...

But seriously, what is the point of this thread? That the internet allows us to form more informed opinions? Go figure,,,
[/quote]

The point? What is the point of any thread? To stimulate conversation, to express an opinion, to cause others to think, to amuse, to educate. I just thought it was an astute observation expressed by a fellow football fan.

Naturally on [b]this[/b] board everyone is an all-knowledgeable, brilliant football strategist just waiting for an owner to give any of us that GM/HC/OC/DC job. This post was meant to represent other fan forums with all those lesser mortals. Naturally.
[/quote]
I AM still waiting for my DC job lol.

The "information age" isn't the cause of our delusion; it merely affords access to facts and facilitates the instant sharing of information.

The fan who wanted to fire that "crackpot", Vince Lombardi has always been around; he's just got a Smartphone with Android Apps and a laptop now.

[quote name='Bltravens' timestamp='1358204015' post='1312272']
I AM still waiting for my DC job lol.
[/quote]

Me, I would like to be a ref. Get to be right in the action but don't have to go home bruised. Besides you are obviously never too old (or too blind) to be a Ref.

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]So, we are to believe that because we live in an age where information is readily available at our fingertips and some take it upon themselves to try to further educate themselves about the sport of football by studying & evaluating said information -- they are considered to be delusional when forming an opinion?[/font][/i]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Then by all means, lets all just listen to what the "experts" on ESPN, NFL Network, NBC and CBS have to say. After all, they played the game and they're NEVER wrong.[/font][/i]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Sorry, use all the big words you want and try to sound as philosophical as you want, but it is through the forming of one's opinion and sharing of that opinion that we all evolve. The only way to stop being "delusional" is to continue to study further.[/font][/i]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Do I know everything? Nope, don't claim to either. Will I ever be satisfied with my level of knowledge with the game? Nope, and I will continue to study and learn. Doing so has given me a little insight to the mechanics of our team. Such as calling plays before the team even lines up into formation. Examples from the Bronco's game: Torrey's second TD, the third-down pass to Pitta (which he dropped)... Do I know any more than the opposition, probably not but through information we are able to see patterns. (Cam's RRPP Formula)[/i][/font][/i]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Lastly, I will continue to use the "first person plural personal NOUN" till my heart is content. I may not be directly associated with the team, but I stand by them through thick and thin, not to mention the THOUSANDS of dollars I've spent on merchandising to help support them.[/font][/i]

[quote name='CosmicRedPanda' timestamp='1358220932' post='1312522']
[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]So, we are to believe that because we live in an age where information is readily available at our fingertips and some take it upon themselves to try to further educate themselves about the sport of football by studying & evaluating said information -- they are considered to be delusional when forming an opinion?[/font][/i]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Then by all means, lets all just listen to what the "experts" on ESPN, NFL Network, NBC and CBS have to say. After all, they played the game and [b]they're NEVER wrong.[/b][/font][/i]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Sorry, use all the big words you want and try to sound as philosophical as you want, but it is through the forming of one's opinion and sharing of that opinion that we all evolve. The only way to stop being "delusional" is to continue to study further.[/font][/i]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Do I know everything? Nope, don't claim to either. Will I ever be satisfied with my level of knowledge with the game? Nope, and I will continue to study and learn. Doing so has given me a little insight to the mechanics of our team. Such as calling plays before the team even lines up into formation. Examples from the Bronco's game: Torrey's second TD, the third-down pass to Pitta (which he dropped)... Do I know any more than the opposition, probably not but through information we are able to see patterns. (Cam's RRPP Formula)[/i][/font][/i]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Lastly, I will continue to use the "first person plural personal NOUN" till my heart is content. I may not be directly associated with the team, but I stand by them through thick and thin, not to mention the THOUSANDS of dollars I've spent on merchandising to help support them.[/font][/i]
[/quote]
IK man, that is why the Bears are gonna win the SB this year like SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many of the people here(including u know who) predicted

I think the question really becomes how much is an opinion worth and is an informed opinion worth more?

One thing is certain is that there are a lot of opinions. Personally, I think it's ok to be true to yourself and your own individuality while learning from, and understanding others.

But otherwise I'll just piggyback what CosmicRedPanda wrote, that sounded pretty good ;)

[/quote]

True but i guess its Different when it Comes to RAVENS fans, we have been asking for CAMS head for a few yrs now. And look at the outcome.

Sorry but we were right.

Just like how i was Asking for MCkinnie to start over Ohers Bum A. since day one. I said even if he was out of shape he is light yrs ahead of Oher.

[quote name='CosmicRedPanda' timestamp='1358220932' post='1312522']

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Then by all means, lets all just listen to what the "experts" on ESPN, NFL Network, NBC and CBS have to say. After all, they played the game and they're NEVER wrong.[/font][/i]

[/quote]
[quote name='Dudeman' timestamp='1358267662' post='1312944']
I think the question really becomes how much is an opinion worth and is an informed opinion worth more?

One thing is certain is that there are a lot of opinions. Personally, I think it's ok to be true to yourself and your own individuality while learning from, and understanding others.

But otherwise I'll just piggyback what CosmicRedPanda wrote, that sounded pretty good ;)
[/quote]

Whoa back there Big Panda! And Dude, grab a beverage and chill.

When I first read this post the both of you were basically the complete opposite of the type of members that came to mind. And I doubt that anyone else would think of your thoughtful posts as "delusional".

Without calling anyone out, there are certain individuals that continually post mindless rationalizations which they try to justify with hand picked and out of context articles, blurbs, stats, etc.. It's those folks I think that fit this "delusional" mold.

And I'm with ya' on the first person thing. So let us go to lobsta country and bring home the bacon! Cheers and Go Ravens!

The quote is just an observation on fans that actually applies to anyone who has read information on the internet to formulate an opinion. Misinformation may be rife, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was pre-internet.

Cute interpretations aside this has nothing to do with the Ravens or the the Broncos game, it's in the wrong forum.

[quote name='awholelottahaloti' timestamp='1358272358' post='1313038']

When I first read this post the both of you were basically the complete opposite of the type of members that came to mind. And I doubt that anyone else would think of your thoughtful posts as "delusional".

Without calling anyone out, there are certain individuals that continually post mindless rationalizations which they try to justify with hand picked and out of context articles, blurbs, stats, etc.. It's those folks I think that fit this "delusional" mold.

And I'm with ya' on the first person thing. So let us go to lobsta country and bring home the bacon! Cheers and Go Ravens!
[/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]I can see how my post seemed pretty forward, that was not the intention.[/i]

[i]I'm just merely saying, it's only through learning & communicating are we able to evolve in our thinking. So, his entire post is counter productive when you think about it. "If you don't know what you're talking about, please be quiet -- and if you go out and learn something and want to share it, and it may still be wrong -- please be quiet."[/i]

[i][i]And Panda is stressed out.. *LOL* ..we better beat New England or I might look like that guy in The Caw article this week.[/i][/i]

[i]"Oh my god, I can't take it anymore..." -- Jeez.[/i][/font]

[quote name='awholelottahaloti' timestamp='1358272358' post='1313038']

[/quote]

Haha, as you know the Dude is all about Zen man so I am cool, just doing my thing! And you're right of course but I am a devil's advocate of sorts so I will always defend a persons right to their opinions even if I don't agree with them.

And Panda don't stress or worry about the game coming up bro. The universe will unfold the way things are meant to and not just necessarily the way we want it to in the end. You gotta let go of the control and go with the flow or something like that.

Personally win or lose any step of the way now or the Super Bowl is still a win to be here. This wont taint Ray's legacy losing to Brady because he is one of the best of all time. However, how sweet it would be to go out there beat Manning, Brady, AND win the Super Bowl!? Certainly better to win, but this post-season has reminded me of how strong my connection to the Ravens has become.

My take is this........

I may not be a producer, director, or a professional movie critic....l.

But I do know a bad movie when I see one.....same thing applies to bad football