#1 jaege

jaege

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

"Once upon a time ...

... fans were just as critical of losses as they are now, but were more realistic as to how much influence they had over the situation. Fire the coach is an old, tried and true response, but only happens in pro football when it suits the owner.

With the advent of social media, fantasy football and video games (e.g., Madden), delusion has more deceptive outlets to grow. Evidence of it is in the ubiquitous usage of the first person plural personal pronoun.

The information age has inundated the dedicated fan with vastly more information than was once conceivable. Sadly, information alone doesn't make one more knowlegeable or bestow expertise, it just makes one more informed. Unfortunately, being more informed is deceptive and seductive enough to lead to the delusion that one is a participant and not just an observer."

I saw this on the Broncos website. Very astute and very true. True of ALL fans. The poster was named sampernell.

Edited by jaege, 14 January 2013 - 09:16 AM.

It's so nice to be insane...

CAM GOT FIRED!!!!!

Joe Cool is the MAN!!!

Ravens

World Champions

#2 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

True, the information age means everyone is an "expert" in all forms of media and entertainment, I'm just not sure how this relates to this board.

#3 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,516 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

True, the information age means everyone is an "expert" in all forms of media and entertainment, I'm just not sure how this relates to this board.

It actually speaks volumes about this and any other NFL fan forum.

In the interest of being kind I won't explain further.

#4 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,336 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

so in conclusive, fans are the indirectly, ambiguously owners of all sport?
2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#5 jaege

jaege

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

Naturally on this board everyone is an all-knowledgeable, brilliant football strategist just waiting for an owner to give any of us that GM/HC/OC/DC job. This post was meant to represent other fan forums with all those lesser mortals. Naturally.

CAM GOT FIRED!!!!!

Joe Cool is the MAN!!!

Ravens

World Champions

#6 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

Well, the key word here is Delusional. What I get from this is that people aren't any more of an expert than they were before the information age, they just have more information to make them think that they are. We as on lookers fell that we are in control and that we know more than we really do. Which is why us fans use words like "we" and "my" when refering to their favorite sports teams. I don't know how much of that I can truly agree with but I do believe that "A little knowledge is dangerous" and that's a little bit of what this quote is refering to.

z66oxxi.jpg

#7 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,586 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Naturally on this board everyone is an all-knowledgeable, brilliant football strategist just waiting for an owner to give any of us that GM/HC/OC/DC job. This post was meant to represent other fan forums with all those lesser mortals. Naturally.

Not me. I'm waiting for their Controller (Finance) position to open up.

Well, the key word here is Delusional. ..... they just have more information to make them think that they are. We as on lookers fell that we are in control and that we know more than we really do.

Looks at Dan Snyder.
Posted Image

#8 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

Looks at Dan Snyder.

Notice I did say,"I don't know how much of that I can truly agree with" lol

z66oxxi.jpg

#9 jaege

jaege

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

Well, the key word here is Delusional. What I get from this is that people aren't any more of an expert than they were before the information age, they just have more information to make them think that they are. We as on lookers fell that we are in control and that we know more than we really do. Which is why us fans use words like "we" and "my" when refering to their favorite sports teams. I don't know how much of that I can truly agree with but I do believe that "A little knowledge is dangerous" and that's a little bit of what this quote is refering to.

Ding ding ding ding ding. Give that man a cigar!

CAM GOT FIRED!!!!!

Joe Cool is the MAN!!!

Ravens

World Champions

#10 Ray Ray Ravens

Ray Ray Ravens

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

You do have a vast amount of information to dig through and make your own evaluation. Most of what you read now is biased toward one team or the other. Its hard to figure out what really is truth and what factors go into that truth. So much good info out there but there is just as much bad info.
Posted Image

#11 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,803 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

Naturally on this board everyone is an all-knowledgeable, brilliant football strategist

Obviously...those "I want Tyrod" and "Start Bulger" and "Ed Reed is hurting the team" threads were started by Steeler trolls just trying to make us Ravens fans look like idiots, lol...

But seriously, what is the point of this thread? That the internet allows us to form more informed opinions? Go figure,,,

Edited by flynismo, 14 January 2013 - 04:03 PM.

Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#12 jaege

jaege

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

Obviously...those "I want Tyrod" and "Start Bulger" and "Ed Reed is hurting the team" threads were started by Steeler trolls just trying to make us Ravens fans look like idiots, lol...

But seriously, what is the point of this thread? That the internet allows us to form more informed opinions? Go figure,,,

The point? What is the point of any thread? To stimulate conversation, to express an opinion, to cause others to think, to amuse, to educate. I just thought it was an astute observation expressed by a fellow football fan.

CAM GOT FIRED!!!!!

Joe Cool is the MAN!!!

Ravens

World Champions

#13 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,762 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

I AM still waiting for my DC job lol.

#14 poedacrow

poedacrow

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

The "information age" isn't the cause of our delusion; it merely affords access to facts and facilitates the instant sharing of information.

The fan who wanted to fire that "crackpot", Vince Lombardi has always been around; he's just got a Smartphone with Android Apps and a laptop now.

Edited by poedacrow, 14 January 2013 - 07:10 PM.

"It wasn't perfect, it wasn't pretty but it was us."

#15 jaege

jaege

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

Me, I would like to be a ref. Get to be right in the action but don't have to go home bruised. Besides you are obviously never too old (or too blind) to be a Ref.

CAM GOT FIRED!!!!!

Joe Cool is the MAN!!!

Ravens

World Champions

#16 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

I want the GM job
Banned

#17 Malkavian Raven

Malkavian Raven

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

So, we are to believe that because we live in an age where information is readily available at our fingertips and some take it upon themselves to try to further educate themselves about the sport of football by studying & evaluating said information -- they are considered to be delusional when forming an opinion?

Then by all means, lets all just listen to what the "experts" on ESPN, NFL Network, NBC and CBS have to say. After all, they played the game and they're NEVER wrong.

Sorry, use all the big words you want and try to sound as philosophical as you want, but it is through the forming of one's opinion and sharing of that opinion that we all evolve. The only way to stop being "delusional" is to continue to study further.

Do I know everything? Nope, don't claim to either. Will I ever be satisfied with my level of knowledge with the game? Nope, and I will continue to study and learn. Doing so has given me a little insight to the mechanics of our team. Such as calling plays before the team even lines up into formation. Examples from the Bronco's game: Torrey's second TD, the third-down pass to Pitta (which he dropped)... Do I know any more than the opposition, probably not but through information we are able to see patterns. (Cam's RRPP Formula)

Lastly, I will continue to use the "first person plural personal NOUN" till my heart is content. I may not be directly associated with the team, but I stand by them through thick and thin, not to mention the THOUSANDS of dollars I've spent on merchandising to help support them.

WE RAISE OUR HEAVY GLASS TO YOU IN OUR INDESTRUCTIBLE DAYS
login.png
MAY HEAVENS CALL TO YOU, MAY STARS ALIGN AND LIGHT YOUR WAY

#18 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

So, we are to believe that because we live in an age where information is readily available at our fingertips and some take it upon themselves to try to further educate themselves about the sport of football by studying & evaluating said information -- they are considered to be delusional when forming an opinion?

Then by all means, lets all just listen to what the "experts" on ESPN, NFL Network, NBC and CBS have to say. After all, they played the game and they're NEVER wrong.

Sorry, use all the big words you want and try to sound as philosophical as you want, but it is through the forming of one's opinion and sharing of that opinion that we all evolve. The only way to stop being "delusional" is to continue to study further.

Do I know everything? Nope, don't claim to either. Will I ever be satisfied with my level of knowledge with the game? Nope, and I will continue to study and learn. Doing so has given me a little insight to the mechanics of our team. Such as calling plays before the team even lines up into formation. Examples from the Bronco's game: Torrey's second TD, the third-down pass to Pitta (which he dropped)... Do I know any more than the opposition, probably not but through information we are able to see patterns. (Cam's RRPP Formula)

Lastly, I will continue to use the "first person plural personal NOUN" till my heart is content. I may not be directly associated with the team, but I stand by them through thick and thin, not to mention the THOUSANDS of dollars I've spent on merchandising to help support them.

IK man, that is why the Bears are gonna win the SB this year like SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many of the people here(including u know who) predicted
Banned

#19 Dudeman

Dudeman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

I think the question really becomes how much is an opinion worth and is an informed opinion worth more?

One thing is certain is that there are a lot of opinions. Personally, I think it's ok to be true to yourself and your own individuality while learning from, and understanding others.

But otherwise I'll just piggyback what CosmicRedPanda wrote, that sounded pretty good ;)

603060_10151508899441059_1219667063_n.jp

#20 PeRK82

PeRK82

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

True but i guess its Different when it Comes to RAVENS fans, we have been asking for CAMS head for a few yrs now. And look at the outcome.

Sorry but we were right.

Just like how i was Asking for MCkinnie to start over Ohers Bum A. since day one. I said even if he was out of shape he is light yrs ahead of Oher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users