61 replies to this topic

#1 Warren2621

Warren2621

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:08 AM

Why has he been so useless? I've paid attention to him several times for a few games now. He gets blown off the ball consistently, doesnt shed blocks, and is never getting penetration or even plugging holes. For anyone that re-watches the Denver game, notice how we get gashed in the run game with Cody on the field.

Eventually in the second half, we just didnt see any more Cody and Kemoeatu played a lot of snaps. For those who may know, is Cody just out of shape and lazy, or is he trying and just isnt that good? He has seriously done nothing.

No one this big should get dominated like he does.

Edited by Warren2621, 14 January 2013 - 04:08 AM.

#2 Yatagarasu

Yatagarasu

The Crow-God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:13 AM

It was a bad idea for him to lose weight to become an every-down player.

When he came into the league, he was a big 360 lb, not 340 lb, two-down run stuffing nose tackle and nothing else.

#3 Warren2621

Warren2621

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:18 AM

It was a bad idea for him to lose weight to become an every-down player.

When he came into the league, he was a big 360 lb, not 340 lb, two-down run stuffing nose tackle and nothing else.

I heard he is fairly athletic (can dunk a basketball), but even at 340, with conditioning in the NFL, shouldnt he be strong and powerful? 340 is massive and if he's actually in shape, how does he get blown off the line?

#4 RavensDE

RavensDE

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:16 AM

I can only assume technique. I've noticed his under-performance all year as well. I really expected him to improve this year, but we'll see if he shows up in the last two games. He's a gamer.

#5 rlh445

rlh445

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:18 AM

Eh, the kid's got the body and he's got the work ethic, he's not dogging it out there..he just can't seem to get down how to throw his (considerable) weight around. I hope it clicks for him soon, though.

This is football, not teacups with the Queen.

#6 poedacrow

poedacrow

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:33 AM

Not to make excuses for Cody but NT is not glamorous work. Often his job is to allow the LB and other D-lineman to shine. He hasn't looked his best for sure but for most of the year, neither did the rest of our defense. I have noticed that we are getting more pressure on the QB as of late (That'd be you PK)and I think picking up Kemoateau at the start of the season was crucial. I think he and the defense as a whole will dial it up a notch against the Pats, though.
"It wasn't perfect, it wasn't pretty but it was us."

#7 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:36 AM

Well... It isn't easy to throw a 300 pound person around. Especially when taking double teams, I don't get too upset about it because he doesn't quit on plays, he keeps going out there and trying to make plays. Giving all he's got is all I really want from him

z66oxxi.jpg

#8 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,281 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:39 AM

I think he lost too much weight. I'm pretty sure they were asking him to play at a weight he never did in college, and it's affecting him. Maybe we're expecting more out of him than we should. Most draft sites had him graded as a two-down player coming out, so perhaps expecting that he'll ever be more than that is wishful thinking. Besides, as a nose tackle his main job is to stuff the run and command double teams, be a space-eater. Again, maybe we're either asking him to do too much or he's trying to do too much. I think another problem with a lot of people in general is we're too quick to make comparisons - sometimes I think it's too easy to look at an athletic freak like Ngata, see what he can do, and somehow expect some of it to rub off on a player like Cody.

Specifically in the Denver game, you have to also keep in mind that Denver has a very good o-line, and most players won't play their best when matched up against the best.

Edited by Ravenslifer, 14 January 2013 - 06:46 AM.

#9 good_n_purple

good_n_purple

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

Eh, the kid's got the body and he's got the work ethic, he's not dogging it out there..he just can't seem to get down how to throw his (considerable) weight around. I hope it clicks for him soon, though.

Don't know about his physical strength, but if you watch him his technique is terrible. The guy plays high, and the Olinemen get under him drive him backward constantly.

#10 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,889 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

Hes not a true space eater anymore. He doesnt have the lower body explosion or core strength to not get drive up. I think he can get better, but I dont know if hes ever going to be dominant. Brandon McKinney would be SOOOO much better then Cody. He didnt offer much pass rush, but he was a GOOD runstuffer. RIGHT NOW... Cody isnt either.

#11 krrock10

krrock10

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

Cody does nothing well. Can't eat space, cant make plays in the run game, can't touch the QB. I think he was rated the second worst d-lineman according to profootball focus.

#12 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,962 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

Poor technique and lack of strength.

He plays to high and line men can get under him and drive him up and back. He's too slow of the line, so linemen get the explosion and first hit.

He's also a fat 340, whereas wilfork for example is a fat bellied but extremely strong 340 that plays with good technique

#13 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:32 AM

I saw Ngata line up at NT quite a bunch, I wouldn't be shocked if Cody was released in off season or we use a high draft pick on a NT...or if we go to a 4-3 since Ray is retiring

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.
Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#14 FerrariFan87

FerrariFan87

Trust Me, A Jedi I Am

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,317 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

The coaches wouldn't be playing Cody if they didn't think he was being at least somewhat effective, so there's that I guess... we don't see the tape that the coaches see, and maybe it's Cody's job to eat up blocks for Ray and Ellerbe, which would mean less stats. I thought coming out of Bama that he'd be a force, but he's still young, and if he's willing to work hard, I think he can be a good player moving forward.

2550rra.jpg

#15 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

As a NT if you can't match the acceleration and hand speed of the olinemen you have to be able to drop anchor and absorb the hits, otherwise you're just taking up room on the roster.

#16 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,318 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

As a NT if you can't match the acceleration and hand speed of the olinemen you have to be able to drop anchor and absorb the hits, otherwise you're just taking up room on the roster.

At least he's useful somewhat...
2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#17 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,208 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

I saw Ngata line up at NT quite a bunch, I wouldn't be shocked if Cody was released in off season or we use a high draft pick on a NT...or if we go to a 4-3 since Ray is retiring

We're never truly going to have a 3-4 or 4-3. We play so much of both. We still don't have 4-3 backers. Or DEs for that.

As far as cody. He actually gained weight back and didn't condition. He was effective last year as a 2 down player, but with his poor conditioning he wears too easily.

Edited by izvoodoo, 14 January 2013 - 10:09 AM.

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#18 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,523 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

I remember some of us lambasting the guy when we drafted him. The same issues exist as they did on draft day. He's got the size but no strength. I know its doesn't mean much but I think he put up 22 reps of 225 on the bench press (Did not perform at combine).

When you have a guy that size who's mobility or moves is not what you drafted him for. His strength is key. If not, he'll just get pushed around and be ineffective. Without the strength, he won't demand the double teams and eat up blockers.
Posted Image

#19 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

We'll need to draft another talented NT in the draft somewhere in later rounds.

Getting rid of Gregg Kelly, then Redding, then replacing him w/ Cody as a #2 guy didn't really pan out.

I suppose our FO read a little too much on Cody's personality rather than his on-field performances. Who knows.

As of right now, all we can ask for Cody (and Kemo & injured Ngata) is to do as much as they can to contain the run and put a little pressure here and there. The NT position isnt really a glamorous job, but that's really all you can ask of them atm.

#20 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,523 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

We'll need to draft another talented NT in the draft somewhere in later rounds.

Getting rid of Gregg Kelly, then Redding, then replacing him w/ Cody as a #2 guy didn't really pan out.

I suppose our FO read a little too much on Cody's personality rather than his on-field performances. Who knows.

As of right now, all we can ask for Cody (and Kemo & injured Ngata) is to do as much as they can to contain the run and put a little pressure here and there. The NT position isnt really a glamorous job, but that's really all you can ask of them atm.

Or that he was from Alabama.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users