100 replies to this topic

#1 jdynamite

jdynamite

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

Jim Caldwell in my opinion has been great as the OC. He actually makes subtle tweaks and in-game adjustments to the offense that we never saw under Cameron. He has implemented more diverse routes that many fans such as myself have been begging for. We've seen an increase in slants, drags, seams routes, passes over the middle. We've seen big plays developed over the course of the game, ( ex. Vs Colts.. Boldin ran several out routes and digs, later he ran an out and up double move to get deep.

TE screens , roll out passes to slide the pocket away from the rush ( have been great for gaining short yardage. )

It's also important to remember Caldwell is still using Cam Cameron's playbook and plays so he hasn't even put his own stamp on the offense yet, things can only get better to me.

Overall it's just nice to see the offense attempt to develop tempo during games, rather than Deep pass, dive , Deep pass, Punt---- dive,dive , Deep pass punt. Under Cam it's deep pass no matter down & distance. Rather than trying to get a few first downs to at least get some offensive confidence.

Now with coaching vacancies being filled around the league some of my favorite candidates are being snatched up such as : Norv Turner, Hue Jackson, Ken Wisenhunt, I've always liked Jim Zorn, Pete Carmichael, Bill Callahan too, but it doesn't bother me because Caldwell has done a great job. The offense has really been balanced with run and pass plays while gaining yards doing both.

#2 FJX

FJX

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

My only concern is that he decides to sign elsewhere as a head coach. He has mentioned he would like to head coach again. I think Norv Turner is the guy if not Caldwell.

Baltimore Ravens
Orlando Magic
Baltimore Orioles
Florida Gators

San Jose Sharks

#3 RBates

RBates

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

I agree i want Caldwell. He is calling great games while letting Joe take chances down the field here and there. I love that on the deep balls, we have more than one option that was open.

#4 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,963 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

It concerned me that we fed Rice the ball on nearly every first down and many second downs in the 2nd half. The last thing we need is to fall back into the predictable play calling of Cam. It's hard to argue with the play calling in a game where we put up 38 points however. (35 in regulation).

The first testicular guard, the "Cup" was used in hockey in 1874. The first helmet was used in 1974. That means it only took men 100 years to realize their brain was also important.

#5 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

It concerned me that we fed Rice the ball on nearly every first down and many second downs in the 2nd half. The last thing we need is to fall back into the predictable play calling of Cam. It's hard to argue with the play calling in a game where we put up 38 points however. (35 in regulation).

He gave the option to Joe as well to audible if needed; however, in that situation our defense are picking up and play well, and running the ball more in second half and OT would limit big turnovers and give breath on passing down.

What's wrong with giving your superstar RB to make plays in stinging freezing cold evening?

Rice ran more 120yd and 1TD..

PS:Rice run more we complain and not more we still complain; the important is we pull out a W.
2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#6 Fang

Fang

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

I agree we need to keep Jim Caldwell. The offense just seems to have a certain confidence about know. I have know idea why, but it just feels that's way.

#7 jdynamite

jdynamite

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

Watching the game and how it was going. He began to feed rice more to give the defense a break and chew up some clock. Peyton was simply throwing short, and running then hurrying to line of scrimmage to wear down the defense.

Under Cam yes it might have been run run pass but it would have been dive for 1 yd, dive for 2 yards, then deep pass with every WR running 15 or deeper curls or outs. Caldwell might run run pass but it might be dive, then stretch, with at least options on routes with something in the middle underneath and over the top.

#8 jdynamite

jdynamite

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

My only concern is that he decides to sign elsewhere as a head coach. He has mentioned he would like to head coach again. I think Norv Turner is the guy if not Caldwell.

I had this thought also about Caldwell but I think it would be more of a concern a year or 2 from now if he could continue as OC at this level, right now this season he isn't going to get an interview for HC off of 6 or 7 games with us as OC that 1-15 season would be fresher in GM's heads than this. Other candidates such as DC Mike Zimmer, OC Bruce Arians etc are hotter candidates.

Norv has high chance of signing with Cleveland as OC in the next few days if not today. And hue Jackson is also about to sign with Carolina

#9 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,593 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

I like what Caldwell has done but I seriously question whether he can create his own system and plays. Right now he is running Cam's playbook. But the real question is he can he make his own. Also, I feel like we can do better.

However, if we can't and there's no better option out there then go ahead and leave him at OC. We still need a QB coach, and I'd personally rather him be there than anywhere else.

Hue Jackson, though...I'd like him to come here.

#10 JayDaRavensFan

JayDaRavensFan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

Hes done a nice job. Be interesting to see what he could do with a whole offseason since right now he's working with Cam Camerons playbook. I like that he moves the pocket more and gets Joe on the move. Both tight ends are being utilized again, both running backs are having success wide receivers are starting to have more success and the offense just looks more fluid.

#11 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

I think Caldwell has earned the opportunity to stay next year. I don't think he gets another HC job in the next couple of years, so I think we will be good in that regard.
We will need a good QB coach, new Oline coach, and new WR coaches next year. These units have underperformed and change is needed.
As for Rice getting the ball on every first and most second downs, the Broncos started playing the pass. If you have both safeties deep, you have to run it at them. If anything this is a sign that Caldwell has the ability to see what the defense is doing and adjusting to it. Something Cam has never done.... EVER!!!!!

#12 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

I think Caldwell has earned the opportunity to stay next year. I don't think he gets another HC job in the next couple of years, so I think we will be good in that regard.
We will need a good QB coach, new Oline coach, and new WR coaches next year. These units have underperformed and change is needed.
As for Rice getting the ball on every first and most second downs, the Broncos started playing the pass. If you have both safeties deep, you have to run it at them. If anything this is a sign that Caldwell has the ability to see what the defense is doing and adjusting to it. Something Cam has never done.... EVER!!!!!

lol so true...I knew it as well; Cam is book smart and Caldwell is street smart. You know the combination will be.......

PS: our OLine are playing lights out; they are the main thing we win today......
2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#13 jimmypowder

jimmypowder

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

Yea that concerned me too but I honestly felt like they were trying to slow the game down with this .

All my fellow Ravens fans said at the half that the game was going too fast paced for us and we needed to
slow the pace .

#14 PurpleCityLights

PurpleCityLights

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

This^

#15 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

There are still other ways to do it, then just keep handing the ball to Rice on every 1st down, trying to run him up the middle and see him being pounded into the ground. Don't get me wrong I agree with you, but Joe Flacco and Ray Rice are (as seen in this game) a very dynamic QB/RB duo, if you mix up their plays and get a bit more creative.
Still, Jim deserves at least one more season as our OC. I just hope that, if it doesn't work out, we don't commit longterm to an OC in hopes, it somehow gets better, the way we tried with Cam. Especially with Joe getting a huge payday, we can't afford Flaccos talents to go to waste.

Also, we need a QB coach ASAP. It would be awesome, if we could get Jim Zorn back, but I doubt that very much. -_-

Edited by PolishRifle, 13 January 2013 - 10:50 AM.

bJNF689.jpg

#16 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,215 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

QB coach? What's wrong with Caldwell filling both positions?

Edited by awholelottahaloti, 13 January 2013 - 10:51 AM.

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#17 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

1,173 pass yds 9Tds 1int 108.1 passer rating
603 rushing yards 3Tds

Those are the offensive numbers in the 4 meaningful games since Caldwell has taken over. Flacco is playing great, the running game is providing balance and the Oline isn't asked to play to their weaknesses, instead its more of a quick passing game.

Caldwell has done a great job in 5 weeks, can't wait to see what he can do with a full offense.

mj5v69.jpg

#18 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,221 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

Dear Heath Evans and Jamie Dukes,

Try saying it was all on Flacco now.

#19 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

Caldwell is in the booth. He can't have direct communication to Flacco on the field. And with Caldwell focusing on the entire O for gameplan and scheme, we need someone to focus on QBs specifically.
And although the oline has played well in the last 2 games, they were terrible for most of the year. Any coach that would let McKinnie stay on the bench and not starting needs to go. He's obviously the best LT on the roster. WR development has been laughable in the Harbs era. That needs no explanation.

#20 TXRaven

TXRaven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

He is doing a fine job. I would love to see him stay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users