31 replies to this topic

#1 PSG_Mud

PSG_Mud

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:51 AM

Why are we not taking advantage of this trend. It would work great because Flacco is FAST man. Also, forces DE to play outside-in all day, forcing a hole for Rice. It's becoming blatently obvious that even the announcers were complaining about the predictability of rice touches.

Most people underestimate Flacco's speed, and he knows how to play it safe. So, whats the deal? Seems like the most underated perfect fit for the future of the NFL.

A plus reason the pistol offense works so well for SF and Washington. Is because the uniforms have the color of the ball, which adds to the confusion. But, with the way the Ravens uniforms are,purple isn't that far off from red. Rice's huge squishy arms and Leach massive body, no one would be the wiser.

Perhaps its a bit to late in the season, to "evolve" with the NFL. And, we're pretty hot right now that it might not be worth it. But, I remember we tried adding variation of the wildcat, after the NFL got their immunation shots for it. Gotta use trends while they work, and if they succeed build upon it.

It probably would be the most unexpected thing that our players are capable of, to help ever so slightly to cure the problem of over predictability.

Edited by PSG_Mud, 13 January 2013 - 12:53 AM.

#2 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:54 AM

Because the Pistol Offense is a college offense.

RG3 will not longer be able to use it, Wilson is overrated.

This is the pros, these rooks look succesful bc they are in a college system they are used too. Put them in a pro system then they look like rookies.

Flacco doesn't need a college system bc he is one of the better QBs in the NFL
Banned

#3 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

I'm against running QB cuz they don't last long. Joe is who he is, best pocket passer. It seems RGIII is near career ending.....
2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#4 PSG_Mud

PSG_Mud

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

Did you watch the SF game? They run it too. So does Jax, and some others.

How can you not say that it's not being successful in the NFL atm.

I'm against running QB cuz they don't last long. Joe is who he is, best pocket passer. It seems RGIII is near career ending.....

I agree about RG3 recklessness. But, this is Joe has made some big run plays before, without taking shots. He's a smart veteran now. Unlike RG3 was recently.

One could say the pistol is safer than standing in the pocket suffering a crushing blow. Since Joe has control of his body, instead of focusing on delivering the ball, whilst recieving a blind blow.

Edited by PSG_Mud, 13 January 2013 - 01:02 AM.

#5 lgcs27288

lgcs27288

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

Smells like the wildcat to me. Successful one year, figured out after that.
"Think like a man of action and act like a man of thought" - Henri Louis Bergson

What would 52 do?

#6 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:04 AM

I agree about RG3 recklessness. But, this is Joe has made some big run plays before, without taking shots. He's a smart veteran now. Unlike RG3 was recently.

One could say the pistol is safer than standing in the pocket suffering a crushing blow. Since Joe has control of his body, instead of focusing on delivering the ball, whilst recieving a blind blow.

SF was playing a crappy D........ All I can say.
Pistol is college offense. And Pocket Passer in pistol is ineffective (sorry Gabe lol) ala
UCLA 2011-2012
Banned

#7 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:04 AM

#7 over at San Fran is a freak athlete. Joe has his skill set (a pocket passer with a cannon for an arm) and it doesn't entail out-running 11 defenders for 40 yard runs. Joe is what he is. Don't try and fit a square peg in a round hole.
"No weapon forged against us shall prosper. And every tongue which rises against us in judgment, we shall condemn."

#8 PSG_Mud

PSG_Mud

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:06 AM

Smells like the wildcat to me. Successful one year, figured out after that.

http://www.sbnation....fl-redskins-rg3

Some info on the evolution. It isn't like the wildcat fad with a couple plays a game. Teams are using it full time.

Edited by PSG_Mud, 13 January 2013 - 01:07 AM.

#9 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

http://www.sbnation....fl-redskins-rg3

Some info on the evolution. It isn't like the wildcat fad with a couple plays a game. Teams are using it full time.

We don't need 'gimmicks' to win games. Flacco can line up and win games with his arm.

The wildcat was a gimmick that teams quickly adjusted to. The same thing will happen to the pistol. The only advantage I can see for Joe using it is that it gets him away from the LOS more like the shotgun that he's so dominate in.
"No weapon forged against us shall prosper. And every tongue which rises against us in judgment, we shall condemn."

#10 PSG_Mud

PSG_Mud

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:12 AM

1. The pistol formation was NOT in Cam Cameron's playbook, nor is Jim Caldwell the type-of offensive coordinator that would use such a formation.
2. An adjustment for that major of a change takes time. It was challenging enough to have Caldwell sync this well, so far, calling the plays, this quickly.
3. Even for the future, Jim Caldwell is more of an O.C. that likes to spread the football with either 4 wide receiver sets, or 3 WRs and a tight end on the field, with a single running back.
4. I have defended Joe Flacco's speed, in the past. That said, Flacco still isn't a scrambler, so-to-speak. He is not a QB that will beat you with his legs, like a RGIII or a young Michael Vick.
5. Time-in-and-time-out, again, scrambling with the football, too often, eventually ends ugly for the quarterback...

Most people critize Joe all round, because hes that awkward stereotype of an individual to them. It automatically makes everyone a skeptical of Flacco. But, hes not awkward, and is realistically talented. The man can out run, scramble and play good ball all round, it just takes a pro to see it, which is hilarious... smh.

#11 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:18 AM

We win, and yet we still complain about offensvie systems

MILI! I need that SMH thing
Banned

#12 PSG_Mud

PSG_Mud

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:21 AM

We don't need 'gimmicks' to win games. Flacco can line up and win games with his arm.

Flacco can, I never was skeptic of Flacco...

Play to win though. Flacco is commonly pigeonholed stereotypically, due to his demeanor. That is an asset worth using, not a gimmick. What you call gimmick I call exploitation of weakness.

Edited by PSG_Mud, 13 January 2013 - 01:23 AM.

#13 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:22 AM

We win, and yet we still complain about offensvie systems

MILI! I need that SMH thing

lol...does it ever get old?

Caldwell and Joe are made matched.....
2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#14 Guest_nflfan123_*

Guest_nflfan123_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:25 AM

Because the Pistol Offense is a college offense.

RG3 will not longer be able to use it, Wilson is overrated.

This is the pros, these rooks look succesful bc they are in a college system they are used too. Put them in a pro system then they look like rookies.

Flacco doesn't need a college system bc he is one of the better QBs in the NFL

I think RG3 would do fine in a pro system...cam newton not so much
oh yeah and of course kaep

Edited by nflfan123, 13 January 2013 - 01:27 AM.

#15 D_UP

D_UP

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:27 AM

Question. Who is flacco outrunning? What's his 40? You must have the QB to run that offense.

#16 Bravens292

Bravens292

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:28 AM

what a great idea ! us ravens fans definitely want to see the most durable QB in the NFL end his career like RGIII is currently doing, right? not like this offense is working or anything.....
"Thats what white guys do when they're excited" - Joe Flacco

#17 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:29 AM

Flacco can, I never was skeptic of Flacco...

Play to win though. Flacco is commonly pigeonholed stereotypically, due to his demeanor. That is an asset worth using, not a gimmick. What you call gimmick I call exploitation of weakness.

LOL We are playing TO WIN! Why have our up and coming 6 foot 6 quarterback with a lazer rocket arm put in a position that exposes him to the type of hits that will put him on the inactive list with the likes of Mike Vick and RGIII? It doesn't make any sense. Joe is a pure pocket passer. He has developed great feet and pocket presence and knows when it's time to escape the pressure. The only running I want to see from him is when he has nobody open down field and he has a beeline for the sideline.

#18 PSG_Mud

PSG_Mud

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:31 AM

LOL We are playing TO WIN! Why have our up and coming 6 foot 6 quarterback with a lazer rocket arm put in a position that exposes him to the type of hits that will put him on the inactive list with the likes of Mike Vick and RGIII? It doesn't make any sense. Joe is a pure pocket passer. He has developed great feet and pocket presence and knows when it's time to escape the pressure. The only running I want to see from him is when he has nobody open down field and he has a beeline for the sideline.

I'm just saying that using the word gimmick is a cop out. It's a chess match is it not? Chess doesn't care if gimmicks work or not. Just that whatever goes, go.

Edited by PSG_Mud, 13 January 2013 - 01:32 AM.

#19 PSG_Mud

PSG_Mud

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

Question. Who is flacco outrunning? What's his 40? You must have the QB to run that offense.

You forget Flacco's first TD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJUXMrsPV8M

Edited by PSG_Mud, 13 January 2013 - 01:35 AM.

#20 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:34 AM

I'm just saying that using the word gimmick is a cop out. It's a chess match is it not? If you played a chess match the same way all the time, you wouldn't be so successful.

I call it how I see it. MIA developed a gimmick known as the wildcat to surprise NE and it worked. It even got them to the playoffs where we exposed it for what it was.... a gimmick. Teams will develop an answer for the pistol the same way they found an answer for the wildcat and those teams that rely on that college system will be left with nowhere to go.

There is a reason the pro system is called the pro system. It is a proven system that caters to the skills and talents of pro level athletes. And we have that pro athlete in Joe Flacco.

Edited by BMORElegacy, 13 January 2013 - 01:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users