Photo

A Flacco Thread

• Please log in to reply
436 replies to this topic

#281 Guest_Mr. Nobody_*

Guest_Mr. Nobody_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

But we all know that if Brady didn't miss the season that "32" probably wouldn't have been.

anything worse than a two for that year and won't make a difference... he hasn't done better than two since anyway... game will be played on the field not via stats anyway

#282 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,817 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

Joe has been one of the final 4 quarterbacks left standing in 3 out of 5 seasons. He was one of 8 left standing in the other 2 seasons. If that isn't top a top tier quarterback, I don't know who is.

For what it's worth, I put together a ranking of each team based on their average final standing each of the past 5 seasons. In other words, if your team didn't make the play-offs, you get a 32 for that year, because you were only part of the "final 32" (so to speak). If you go to the play-offs, but lost in the wild card round, you get a 12 for being one of the "final 12" teams of that season. If you lose in the divisional round, you get an 8; lost in the championship round, get a 4; lose in the Super Bowl, get a 2; win the Super Bowl, get a 1. Add them all up and divide by the number of seasons (5 in this case) to get your average over that span, and rank from lowest to highest. Basically, we're ranking team success over span of time, and things like winning percentage don't matter, because if a team goes 9-7 (like the Giants, for instance) but wins the Super Bowl, that deserves the most praise, but missing the play-offs is an equally failed season for a 10-6 team as it is for a 2-14 team, based on this metric.

So, since Flacco has been quarterbacking this team, here's how all 32 NFL franchises rank in that 5 year span:

1. Ravens: 4 + 8 + 8 + 4 + 4 = 5.6
2. Patriots: 32 + 12 + 8 + 2 + 4 = 11.6
3. Packers: 32 + 12 + 1 + 8 + 8 = 12.2
4. Falcons: 12 + 32 + 8 + 12 + 4 = 13.6
5. Colts: 12 + 2 + 12 + 32 + 12 = 14.0
6. Steelers: 1 + 32 + 2 + 12 + 32 = 15.8
7. Saints: 32 + 1 + 12 + 8 + 32 = 17.0
8. Vikings: 12 + 4 + 32 + 32 + 12 = 18.4
-. Eagles: 4 + 12 + 12 + 32 + 32 = 18.4
10. Bengals: 32 + 12 + 32 + 12 + 12 = 20.0
11. 49ers: 32 + 32 + 32 + 4 + 4 = 20.8
--. Jets: 32 + 4 + 4 + 32 + 32 = 20.8
13. Giants: 8 + 32 + 32 + 1 + 32 = 21.0
14. Cardinals: 2 + 8 + 32 + 32 + 32 = 21.2
15. Broncos: 32 + 32 + 32 + 8 + 8 = 22.4
--. Texans: 32 + 32 + 32 + 8 + 8 = 22.4
--. Seahawks: 32 + 32 + 8 + 32 + 8 = 22.4
--. Chargers: 8 + 8 + 32 + 32 + 32 = 22.4
19. Bears: 32 + 32 + 4 + 32 + 32 = 26.4
20. Cowboys: 32 + 8 + 32 + 32 + 32 = 27.2
--. Panthers: 8 + 32 + 32 + 32 + 32 = 27.2
--. Titans: 8 + 32 + 32 + 32 + 32 = 27.2
23. Redskins: 32 + 32 + 32 + 32 + 12 = 28.0
--. Lions: 32 + 32 + 32 + 12 + 32 = 28.0
--. Chiefs: 32 + 32 + 12 + 32 + 32 = 28.0
--. Dolphins: 12 + 32 + 32 + 32 + 32 = 28.0
27. Bills: 32 + 32 + 32 + 32 + 32 = 32.0
--. Browns: 32 + 32 + 32 + 32 + 32 = 32.0
--. Jaguars: 32 + 32 + 32 + 32 + 32 = 32.0
--. Raiders: 32 + 32 + 32 + 32 + 32 = 32.0
--. Rams: 32 + 32 + 32 + 32 + 32 = 32.0
--. Buccaneers: 32 + 32 + 32 + 32 + 32 = 32.0

Obviously, this doesn't yet include the championship round & Super Bowl for this season. So, I ran the possibilities for the final 4 teams we have, and in every possible scenario, interestingly enough, none of the final four teams can change in ranking from where this list currently has them (but one team can change ranking... the Jets will move from a tie for 11th with the 49ers into 12th all by themselves if the 49ers beat the Falcons in the NFCCG). Each of the final four teams' average can improve (but not worsen), but not enough for anyone to move up the list. The best average the Ravens can finish with is a 5.0 if they win the Super Bowl. The best average anyone else can finish with would be the Patriots, if they win the Super Bowl, they can finish with an 11.0

So now matter how you look at this list, over a span of 5 total seasons, the Ravens have been the most successful franchise in the NFL since Flacco has been their quarterback.

I appreciate the work put in here, but you cant throw a number like "32" into the final playoff numbers and then average it out, it's completely biased.

@gabefergy

#283 callahan09

callahan09

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

I appreciate the work put in here, but you cant throw a number like "32" into the final playoff numbers and then average it out, it's completely biased.

You're probably right. On second thought, the best way to do it would probably be draft order, maybe I will recalculate it later.

Edited by callahan09, 16 January 2013 - 06:52 PM.

#284 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,817 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

You're probably right. On second thought, the best way to do it would probably be draft order, maybe I will recalculate it later.

Your method makes a strong point, but basically it just states that Baltimore has made the playoffs 5 seasons in a row while no other team has been able to accomplish that. Draft order would probably be better from an objective standpoint.

@gabefergy

#285 PurpleReign92

PurpleReign92

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

Flacco to Smith is highlight reel waiting to happen...
Champs!

#286 callahan09

callahan09

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

I was just curious how Flacco's playoff numbers compare to history, and it's pretty good. He's got a career 79.7 playoff passer rating, which ranks 34th all-time among players with at least 100 post-season attempts (that's out of 91 players, then). HOWEVER, he played in a conference championship game in his rookie season. Only 4 quarterbacks have done that (Shaun King, Mark Sanchez, and Ben Roethlisberger are the others) and in all 4 cases, that game hurts their career playoff numbers. Seems obvious, right? It's a rookie going up against the best team in their conference besides their own team; it should be a very difficult game, and no rookie has ever won it.

So, if we take the conference championship game stats out of the career stats, not the entire rookie playoff numbers mind you, we leave all rookie numbers for everyone, except the conference championship game numbers for those few guys who played in one as a rookie... since it evens the playing field because such a game for a rookie has universally lowered that player's career playoff passer rating, so it's an unfair advantage to those who didn't have to play in such a game otherwise... then Flacco's career playoff numbers rank 17th all time. Amazing, removing one game from his record (and everybody else's record who ever had to play in that game as a rookie) bumps him up from 34th to 17th, and bumps his passer rating from 79.7 to 86.7.

Or we could just discount everyone's rookie season (most quarterbacks don't have rookie numbers affecting their playoff stats anyway), in which case Flacco has an 89.2 QB Rating, which ranks 13th best of all time (among 89 QBs with at least 100 attempts since their second season).

Hey, let's have some more fun massaging the numbers. Frankly, Flacco's second year in the playoffs don't make him look so good either, but he was playing with a big injury. Probably shouldn't have been playing at all, really. You don't start to get a good idea of how well Flacco can play in the post-season until you get to his third season.

Among 82 quarterbacks with at least 100 attempts since their thrid year, Flacco's 101.4 QB Rating ranks 6th all-time, behind Jeff Hostetler's 112.0, Bart Starr's 104.8, Drew Brees' 103.9, Kurt Warner's 103.9, and Aaron Rodgers' 103.6.

Keep in mind only Rodgers and Flacco had a majority of those games coming on the road.

Edited by callahan09, 17 January 2013 - 09:11 AM.

#287 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

I'm proud of Flacco for being a leader through his play. The fact that he keeps going back to his struggling recievers and giving them a chance to redeem themselves is really good to see. Torrey Smith at Pittsburgh last year and Jacoby Jones at Denver this year. If Jacoby would have been playing for Houston he would have probably gotten benched after his dropped kick return, let alone his dropped catch.

z66oxxi.jpg

#288 SirPainsalot

SirPainsalot

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

Honestly I'm so happy that Cam Cameron was kicked out.
He was CLEARLY restricting Flacco and forcing him to stay in the pocket instead of rolling out and scrambling, which you could see he does really well. Avoiding sacks like it was nothing.
Cameron thought he was playing to his strengths; definitely not.

I noticed his college football footage, he was scrambling, breaking tackles, throwing deep on the run (something he does exceptionally well). He really is like Big Ben honestly.

The Joe Flacco you see there is practically the same without Cam Cameron holding his hand and calling the plays, telling him what to do.

Except WITHOUT the playoff experience.

Edited by SirPainsalot, 17 January 2013 - 06:58 PM.

#289 callahan09

callahan09

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:44 AM

Honestly I'm so happy that Cam Cameron was kicked out.
He was CLEARLY restricting Flacco and forcing him to stay in the pocket instead of rolling out and scrambling, which you could see he does really well. Avoiding sacks like it was nothing.
Cameron thought he was playing to his strengths; definitely not.

I noticed his college football footage, he was scrambling, breaking tackles, throwing deep on the run (something he does exceptionally well). He really is like Big Ben honestly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxW_RdJjtos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abJK7EfyzIQ

The Joe Flacco you see there is practically the same without Cam Cameron holding his hand and calling the plays, telling him what to do.

Except WITHOUT the playoff experience.

That clip at about 2:40 of him plowing into the end zone was very cool.

#290 Guest_Thunderbird_*

Guest_Thunderbird_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

Joe getting respect and recognition from Boston sports media:

Ron Borges: Critics aside, Joe Flacco proves he’s got talent
Anything but ordinary
January 18, 2013
By Ron Borges / Boston Herald

OWINGS MILLS, Md. — Joe Flacco isn’t much for records, except for the one that has his team in Sunday’s AFC Championship Game for the second straight season.

Apparently, neither are his critics.

Five years into his NFL career, Flacco has done more than a few things no other quarterback has, the most notable being the first starting quarterback in NFL history to make the playoffs in each of his first five seasons; the only one to win at least one playoff game in each of his first five seasons; and his five career road playoff victories tie him with Eli Manning for the all-time record.

http://bostonherald....he’s_got_talent

Edited by Thunderbird, 18 January 2013 - 11:45 AM.

#291 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,197 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Joe getting respect and recognition from Boston sports media:

Ron Borges: Critics aside, Joe Flacco proves he’s got talent
Anything but ordinary
January 18, 2013
By Ron Borges / Boston Herald

OWINGS MILLS, Md. — Joe Flacco isn’t much for records, except for the one that has his team in Sunday’s AFC Championship Game for the second straight season.

Apparently, neither are his critics.

Five years into his NFL career, Flacco has done more than a few things no other quarterback has, the most notable being the first starting quarterback in NFL history to make the playoffs in each of his first five seasons; the only one to win at least one playoff game in each of his first five seasons; and his five career road playoff victories tie him with Eli Manning for the all-time record.

http://bostonherald....he’s_got_talent

So you're saying when Joe leads us to a win on Sunday he will hold the record for the most away playoff wins in NFL history? Nice.

#292 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

So you're saying when Joe leads us to a win on Sunday he will hold the record for the most away playoff wins in NFL history? Nice.

The most road play off wins my friend.

z66oxxi.jpg

#293 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,997 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

Not only that but he'll, tie Tom Brady for most playoff wins by a QB in his first 5 years with 9. Of course Brady had 3 rings, Flacco will only have 1.

He'll tie Peyton Manning for total Playoff wins with 9 and Super Bowls won with 1.

He'll have more playoffs wins then, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and be just 1 win shy of Big Ben's 10 postseason wins. "Flacco Supporters" have compared Flacco to all these guys and have been told that Flacco is nowhere near those guys.

I was watching Inside the NFL and Bart Scott had a good viewpoint of Brady and Manning. He said Peyton is the greatest QB he's seen because of his physical talent and the way he can carve you up as a QB. But Brady is the better winner because he's been able to lean on his overall team better to win Super Bowls. I think that's a great point. I've told people all the time, that Brady had as much help as any QB building his "Dynasty". However when he was giving control of that team and asked to be elite, he's done well, but come up short for the most part. 3 SB rings when he played on balanced teams, 2 SB losses when he was front and center as the Elite QB.

Flacco my never be considered Elite so the talking heads. However what they will have to call in after the SB is a Winner.

mj5v69.jpg

#294 RavensFanInCA

RavensFanInCA

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

Not only that but he'll, tie Tom Brady for most playoff wins by a QB in his first 5 years with 9. Of course Brady had 3 rings, Flacco will only have 1.

He'll tie Peyton Manning for total Playoff wins with 9 and Super Bowls won with 1.

He'll have more playoffs wins then, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and be just 1 win shy of Big Ben's 10 postseason wins. "Flacco Supporters" have compared Flacco to all these guys and have been told that Flacco is nowhere near those guys.

I was watching Inside the NFL and Bart Scott had a good viewpoint of Brady and Manning. He said Peyton is the greatest QB he's seen because of his physical talent and the way he can carve you up as a QB. But Brady is the better winner because he's been able to lean on his overall team better to win Super Bowls. I think that's a great point. I've told people all the time, that Brady had as much help as any QB building his "Dynasty". However when he was giving control of that team and asked to be elite, he's done well, but come up short for the most part. 3 SB rings when he played on balanced teams, 2 SB losses when he was front and center as the Elite QB.

Flacco my never be considered Elite so the talking heads. However what they will have to call in after the SB is a Winner.

I think your numbers include winning the Super Bowl (for 9 wins). If we win this week, he'll be at 8 wins (8-4 post season) if I remember right.

#295 MTRavensFan

MTRavensFan

Veteran

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

Tied with Eli Manning w/ 5. It's what keeps scrolling at the bottom of NFLN right now.

"I would suggest not wringing those hands so hard that you sprain them. Take a chill pill." - Eisenbergf4ia7s.jpg

#296 Miami Hurricane

Miami Hurricane

Category 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,773 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

Does anyone think Joe could win an MVP award at some point in his career if he played to his potential consistently for a season?
"It was cool."- Joe Flacco"When you go in the lion's den, you don't tippy toe in. You carry a spear, you go in screaming like a banshee, you kick whatever doors in, and say, 'Where's the SOB?' If you go in any other way you're gonna lose."- Brian BillickOwner of Thomas Nast's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen who Enjoy Sailboats and Luther Vandross in the 2013 BR.com Franchise Mock<p>

#297 EDEC

EDEC

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

Joe has outplayed Brady the last couple times they went head-head ... glad to see he is on fire going into this one too

#298 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

Does anyone think Joe could win an MVP award at some point in his career if he played to his potential consistently for a season?

Well, his celing for a game has shown to be close to 400 yards

385. If he averages it, MVP is his to lose.

When Manning, Brady, and Brees go out into the sunset, the cream of the crop will be

Rodgers
Flacco (if he wins a SB)
Eli
Luck
and Ryan if he wins a SB
Banned

#299 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,478 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

Incase anyones wondering....

Flacco's career playoff stats: 7-4 record. 164/304, 53.9 % 2,145 yards, 13 TD's, 8 INT, 79.7 rating.

Every years he's played better.... Last 2 years in playoffs(4 games, 2 home, 2 away, 3-1 record): 9 TD's, 1 INT, 54.2 %, 1,095 yards, +95.4 rating in each of the 4 games.

I think I solved the ridiculous hate Flacco had recieved earlier in his career. It may of came from high expectations. He got a pass in his rookie year for playing bad in the AFCCG, but after that people expected him to play like the Bradys/Mannings/Rodgers of the league. The last 2 years, he's played FANTASTIC in the playoffs. People must of forgot how young he was in '09 and '10 and set their expectations of him so high that since he's not one of the QB's listed above, some people carry that into the regular season and get mad at him. Sure he's inconsistent in the regular season but there has been alot of factors towards that imo.

I just planned on posting his playoff stats, but I think I got carried away lol. Atleast nobodys got anything to say about him anymore!

Edited by Ravens<3, 18 January 2013 - 09:30 PM.

2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#300 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,963 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

Well, his celing for a game has shown to be close to 400 yards

385. If he averages it, MVP is his to lose.

When Manning, Brady, and Brees go out into the sunset, the cream of the crop will be

Rodgers
Flacco (if he wins a SB)
Eli
Luck
and Ryan if he wins a SB

lol

Luck doesn't have to do anything? He just gets elevated because....what? He happened to be the #1 pick? Luck has not earned any status on any list of "premier" QBs as of yet. It really is just something that sits in my craw when people crown these rookies who've proven nothing.

Joe flacco picked up a fumbled ball off the ground like he just dropped the newspaper on the sidewalk by accident and flung it across the street square into the neighbor's open mailbox while being attacked by pit bulls on steroids - a Panther's fan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users