Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gashman

Extend McKinnie's contract

72 posts in this topic

I said this in the game thread but I can see us consider bringing him back. The problem is he has serious consistency issues and has an issue with dedication in the offseason. I can see us bringing him back, though.

i'll admit hes been great the last 2 games but that doesn't change my mind we need to get a younger and more balanced LT this offseason. I think the last 2 games have shown THIS is the best 5 we have. At least if we had to find the best 5 sometime, let it be in the playoffs.

The past two games to me solidifies that we are going to jump up in the draft for a LT. We won't resign McKinnie because he breaks down too fast and he's old.

But I think the last two games definitely shows what Flacco can do with protection and that Ozzie will try to jump up for a quality LT prospect.

What this move shows me is KO is a left tackle and oher is a very good right tackle. He dominated von millar minus maybe two plays all game. I'd be happy with McKinnie being resigned as long as we get someone behind him to push him.

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1358044705' post='1307686']
I said this in the game thread but I can see us consider bringing him back. The problem is he has serious consistency issues and has an issue with dedication in the offseason. I can see us bringing him back, though.
[/quote]

This.

Let's see how he plays the rest of the playoffs.

I was initially against it, but I would be in favor of a one year deal so we can draft a great prospect at LT to groom. McKinnie would be great insurance if the draft does not turn out.

[quote name='Bltravens' timestamp='1358045195' post='1307746']
The past two games to me solidifies that we are going to jump up in the draft for a LT. We won't resign McKinnie because he breaks down too fast and he's old.

But I think the last two games definitely shows what Flacco can do with protection and that Ozzie will try to jump up for a quality LT prospect.
[/quote]

Agreed. If anything this just shows the other parts of the line are where they should be. We still need a LT. Regular Season motivation has been a problem with McKinnie the past few years. I have no doubt about him bringing it in the post season. But next year he'll be a year older, etc.

[quote name='bauer77' timestamp='1358045068' post='1307735']
Yup i definitely think we should. Our best option at LT at this point.
[/quote]

I would have said no, but seeing McKinnie play the past two games at LT, shows that we should give him a 1-2 year contract where he plays LT with Oher staying at RT. Plus I also believe re-signing McKinnie allows us to go elsewhere in the Draft in the first or second rounds, and with another year of McKinnie in 2013 could just be a bridge to 2014 when we could jump up in the Draft for Taylor Lewan or Jake Matthews for our Franchise LT.

All this talk about McKinnie's lack of motivation made me think. If the Ravens win the SB, he should definitely not be brought back. He would probably take the term, "SB hangover" to an all new level. lol.

[quote name='JO_75' timestamp='1358046528' post='1307938']
I would have said no, but seeing McKinnie play the past two games at LT, shows that we should give him a 1-2 year contract where he plays LT with Oher staying at RT. Plus I also believe re-signing McKinnie allows us to go elsewhere in the Draft in the first or second rounds, and with another year of McKinnie in 2013 could just be a bridge to 2014 when we could jump up in the Draft for Taylor Lewan or Jake Matthews for our Franchise LT.
[/quote]

Completely agree. If you would've asked me before the playoffs, it would've been a definite no. Now, after these last 2 weeks, its changed for me. Plus not to mention, McKinnie won't be expensive.

[quote name='JO_75' timestamp='1358046528' post='1307938']
[/quote]

I think we would be doing ourselves a disservice if neglect the LT position (especially since it looks like Oher is not the answer). We can't ride McKinnie and Birk until the wheels fall off. Because if we do, its going to be tough keeping Joe upright for a while.

[quote name='PuRock' timestamp='1358046903' post='1307971']
I think we would be doing ourselves a disservice if neglect the LT position (especially since it looks like Oher is not the answer). We can't ride McKinnie and Birk until the wheels fall off. Because if we do, its going to be tough keeping Joe upright for a while.
[/quote]
I'm pretty sure this team is happy with Grodkowski starting at center. They seem really high on him.

We won't be able to extend Mckinnie. Some team will end up overpaying for his services which is unfortunate because I'd like to have him back.

I just don't think McKinnie can hold up for an entire season. I'd re-sign him for a one-year deal and draft a guy like Faulk in the 3rd.

I've been scratching my head about this ALL SEASON. This should have been the starting line week one... KO is a mauler at guard and McKinnie is our best LT. Oher is just out of place on the left and I'm tired of watching our coaches trying to make him into something he just isn't.

[quote name='arnie_uk' timestamp='1358045232' post='1307750']
What this move shows me is KO is a left tackle and oher is a very good right tackle. He dominated von millar minus maybe two plays all game. I'd be happy with McKinnie being resigned as long as we get someone behind him to push him.
[/quote]KO at left tackle? I hope you meant left guard lol

Extend it now. Free up cap

Extend Jacoby and Leach free up Cap.
Extend Tucker.
Restructure Oher and Extend
Resign

Flacco
Ellerbe
Kruger

Reed probably retires with Ray and Birk after we win SB!

If we can get him cheap then yea

That will let us draft defense early to replace losing ray possibly Ed and Kruger too

I wonder if he realises that Harbaugh being hard on him has extended his career? he was content with just being a big body and riding out his contract but he's was just getting fatter and stiffer. Right now he's playing his best football in years and looks hungry, if we don't extend him and he's smart he'll easily pick up a decent stopgap contract somewhere else.

[quote name='BMORElegacy' timestamp='1358059476' post='1308894']
I've been scratching my head about this ALL SEASON. This should have been the starting line week one... KO is a mauler at guard and McKinnie is our best LT. Oher is just out of place on the left and I'm tired of watching our coaches trying to make him into something he just isn't.
[/quote]

Funny to see all the love Big Mac is getting now. No one agreed with this when I posted it:

Anyone that doesnt think BM has made the difference in the line, is fooling themselves. Flacco has almost been untouched from the left side.

[url="http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/topic/48561-the-offensive-line/"]http://boards.baltim...offensive-line/[/url]

Mac is playing for his next contract. And he didn't play all year because he was out of shape and then had that injury (back or hip?). No way we re-sign him with his two fellow U players set to leave.

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1358044705' post='1307686']
[/quote]

I don't think that's the biggest problem - I'd say it's the fact that he'll be 34 in September and has played in the league for a decade - most offensive linemen don't play into their late 30s. However good or bad he is, I don't think he has more than a year or two left in the league.