Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Art Modell, Jonathan Ogden Hall of Fame Finalists

39 posts in this topic

The former Ravens owner is a finalist for the first time since 2001.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Art-Modell-Jonathan-Ogden-Hall-of-Fame-Finalists/cfb417e1-de41-479f-9c73-f938bfe4f26c]View the full article[/url]

Who in that list deserves to go into the Hall of Fame before Art Modell?
The selection committee really need to get their heads out of their butts and right this wrong. It's disgraceful that he was not voted in prior to his passing. Shame on them and to the cleveland sports writers who have lobbied to keep him out, they should deny the Browns any part of any revenue sharing negotiated by Modell from the networks. That would prove how relevant Modell was to the NFL.
Pisses me off!

Cleveland you got your team Modell is the reason why you have a team. vote for the man that made the NFL what it is today and allow you to watch football on Monday nights. You got your colors etc and what did baltimore get new colors and new name. Don't you think we wanted to keep our name and colors. stop acting like a spoiled brat and vote the man in.

Ill be kind of mad if Modell makes it in this year...Only because it makes me mad that the guy would finally be making it in because ppl are now sorry about him passing away and not being inducted. This guy was one of the first to change the game of football to what it is today. Football would not be America's number 1 sport if not for him. Plus he was just a great guy, even Ray Lewis and Ed Reed and Suggs said they looked up to that guy. The guy deserves it but its disrespectful the way it all went down. He should of been in the HOF a long time ago. Just add it to the list of reasons to hate Cleveland more besides the fact that they are just a terrible team every year and make the nfl look bad.

Over and over, I've heard our motivation to win out this season is based on Ray's retirement. In the storylines last week, it was Pagano, Ray and to some extent the Colt factor. What happened to dedicating this season to Art? We started the season with a big tribute, we still have the little black marker on our uniforms with his name on it, but who even mentions this now?

I think it is up to Ray to bring this item back to the forefront. Perhaps the last 2 years, we were in a better position to win it all, but this year carries the most weight in terms of what it could mean for this franchise. I know we're a long shot, but our time has to be now.

GO RAVENS!

Certainly no doubt about Ogden. But everyone has lost out because it would have been so appropriate to hear what Art would have said had induction into the HOF happened during his lifetime.

not MY place to judge it happening but I will agree, a dark judgement is on the voters who did this to art. Karma will cash in on this event, in this life or after for those voters. smh R.I.P. Art. #a LEGEND in LIFE and NFL

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]About time.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]With everything else going on with our team; the playoffs and Ray retiring after this season... it would be one heck of a year if we could get Art in the HoF along with Ogden... and bring home a Super Bowl just to cap the season off.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]I see great things for our team. Really great things.[/i][/font]

I think karma has bitten the City of Cleveland for the last several years. The Browns franchise is still struggling and while I don't mind seeing as we're in the same division, they probably won't get better until they do right by Art. When you treat a person unfairly, you reap what you sow. When they begin to sow good seeds then they will reap the benefits of that harvest. They're currently eating the harvest of those bad seeds they've sewn Art Modells way. RIP Art.

Art Modell should have been enshrined years ago. The NFL feels offended that he moved the Browns to Baltimore keeping him out of the HOF. The NFL has been known to do this with others. It would be fitting that Art goes in with Jonathan Ogden making it a purple induction.

You can see the favoritism even in the hall of fame against the ravens. art modell should already be there its nuts. I can't say I honestly know allot of these players but do the right thing by these guys regardless of what team they played for .

Of course as a final snub to Art they would enshrine him after he has left the earth. Thanks a lot Cleveland....

Its a darn shame Art is not already in the HOF. If it wasnt for Tony Grossi from Cleveland protesting against him every year, Mr.Modell could have enjoyed his HOF induiction already.

If Grossi opens his mouth again he should be banned from the proceedings. The guy is an
absolute idiot. The moving of a franchise has never kept anyone out of the HOF. See Al Davis. He moved so many times we never know where the Raiders were playing. Plus he sued
the league a bunch, but he is in the HOF. nuff said....!!!!

He made one city sad and another city ecstatic. That's a wash, in my book. So take away the move from Cleveland to Baltimore, and you've got a clear, absolute, Hall of Fame resume. If Grossi stands up and says what he says, I sure hope somebody else there stands up and reminds them that there are 31 other franchises in the NFL besides Cleveland, and the rest of them wouldn't be what they are today without Art.

Grossi's comments make me sick. Mr. Grossi - as a voting member for the hall, you do not represent a constituency. You are not an official elected to a political office by the people of Cleveland - you have an obligation to the sport as a whole to fairly judge the merits of a person and to vote accordingly.

But clearly, you are a coward. Instead of voting in a matter that accounts for the positive impact that Modell had on the game, you vote in fear of the backlash you would face in your media market. You are pathetic and unworthy of your vote.

I don't know how I feel about Art Modell being enshrined in the hall of fame don't get me wrong the man deserves to be in canton I just can't shake the feeling he only made it because he died and if he was still alive they would have black balled him again

"Why should he not be in the Hall of Fame?” Former Browns running back Jim Brown said. "I say that he should be, regardless of what the people of Cleveland think. You just don't deal with revenge or animosity to a man that has done so much for the game."

Wish Grossi and the rest of the haters in Cleveland understood that.

Hey Cleveland, it's been said before, but if you wanted your team so bad, why build Jacobs Field, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and a new Cavaliers arena when the Browns' stadium is leaking, including the owners' office, the man is telling you he is losing money in an unsustainable business model, you completely ignore him and he does exactly what he was warning he would have to do, and didn't want to?

Irsay just up and vanished without such warnings, we didn't get a team for 12 years, had to see idjit Tagliabue give a team to Jacksonville which is moribund and on the verge of collapse, we never got the colors and logo back. The Browns, despite being a one-man history (Jim Brown) nowhere near as extensive as the Colts, got their team back almost immediately. It lasted very shortly, I still sympathize for losing their team but it was way worse here, so get over your pity party already and quit being obstructionists. They're voting not based on the merits of the man over decades in building the league, but how one decision that's mostly their fault affected them personally. You don't vote based on how a guy "makes you feel." Get over it.

why should one of the most important people in NFL history not go in the HOF because of Cleveland fans that are just mad he knew their franchise was going nowhere. Cleveland fans do not speak for fans of the game and fans of the game would vote for Art. If he doesn't get in, then lets give him the lombardi instead.

Doesn't Cleveland have a new villian to pick on in the form of Lebron James? Maybe they should direct their anger at him and move on from being so angry at Art. He did what was best for his franchise, and at least he didn't do it in the middle of the night with Mayflower trucks. The NFL obviously loves Cleveland because they wasted no time giving them a new team and of course all their originally colors and records. Baltimore was desperate for a team for a long time, and I don't think Art would change a thing about bringing that team to us. God bless him for not making the popular decision.

it still bugs me that this is the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but they treat it as though its the Cleveland Hall of OK. Cleveland should not have so much weight to influence a HoF decision, nor should any 1 city.

if you think about it the HOF is just a bunch of no nothing media hounds who vote for people they've heard of without really knowing the facts. If you want the HOF to really mean something the players should be the ones voting or the coaches. They actually played against or with these athletes. Who would know them better than their own peers.
i never get too excited about the Canton HOF game because #1 its the first exhibition game and means squat and #2 its in Cleveland, the armpit of the league.

Art will get in, this time, as he should. Cleveland seems to be holding on to anger and frustration and aiming it at Art. Isn't there anyone else to play the Mad Game with, or better yet, don't be so EMOTIONAL at all. He/one should be elected into the Hall of Fame because of his credentials, instead of something he did keeping him from getting in. It's sort of like (looking for comparison...) throwing for 5 touchdowns in a game but not getting the MVP, because of 1 INTERCEPTION. So even if Art has his 1 INT. he should get in because of his 5 TD's, imo. That's ridiculous of those nay voters. He's prob. done more good for the NFL, than some of the players who are in there, credit where credit is due is an appropriate motto here! VOTE HIM IN!!!!

Estatic to knowthat JO is going to be a 1st ballot. Correct me if I'm wrong but he's the very 1st Raven to be enshrined I belive? Either way, very cool to see JO get into the HOF.

I have said numerous years before Art passed, that he will not get in because of what happened in Cleveland, the HOF is in Cleveland, and he wouldn't get in untill he passed away. Now it seems that he is getting his chance because I know for certain they are getting flack for keeping him out.

It really is a disgrace that it had to come down to the fact the man had to pass before he could be enshrined because of what took place. I'm pretty damn sure that if the HOF was in some other city nowhere near Cleveland, he would've been enshrined no problem.

If he does get in, I would like to be able to watch, to see how classless some people can be by boo-ing a dead man that did a tremendous amout of good for the NFL as a whole, and not by a small blip of moving a team. I bet they will to whoever does the acceptance speech.

As long as Cleveland holds on to their unhealthy grudge of Art, they are going to be a miserable franchise on and off the field. It is best for them to forgive Art and enshrine him in the Hall. Perhaps, then they will start winning in the AFC North. I wish Tony Grossi and the Clevelanders would realize this.

Yeah, Magnum, JO would be the first true Raven to be enshrined (no offense to Shannon Sharpe and Rod Woodson but they played most of their careers with other teams).

The people of Cleveland seem to forget that Mr. Modell did everything he could to keep that team in Cleveland. They need someone else to be angry with. Why not whomever was Mayor back then?