Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Fish Called Yanda

Have You Lost Confidence in Ray Rice?

Have You Lost Confidence in Ray Rice   78 votes

1. 1. Have You Lost Confidence in Ray Rice?

• Yes
    • Beginning to Lose Confidence
    • No - You're Stupid

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

46 posts in this topic

Let me start out this thread by saying that[b] I have not lost any confidence in Ray Rice[/b].

Looking over the boards, I see a lot of people hating on RR27, and announcing that Pierce is the new coming of Jesus, and that we should be feeding him the ball as much as possible.

So, on that note, I wanted to start a thread to see if people have, or are beginning to lose any of their confidence in our running back.

I rewatched the entire Colts game last night, and to be honest, I can't really see where the Ray Rice hating is coming from. Everyone seems to forget the play in the end of the first half where Ray Rice ran for 47 yards, ending up on the Colts 2 yard line, that set up our first touchdown of the game. This clearly swung the momentum towards us (even though our defense allowed the Colts to march down the field and score a FG on the subsequent drive) and without it, I think the game could have ended very differently.

So, anyway. If you have lost confidence in Rice, why? One big reason could be his 2 fumbles (even though one was incorrectly called as being recovered by Indy), but other than that, I don't really see any reason for all the hate.

EDIT: Also, for clarity's sake, I voted for "No - You're Stupid". I guess it's going to be one of those self-deprecating days.

No not losing confidence in Ray at all. He is still the dynamic playmaker he always was. However, I do have a serious man crush on Pierce. That guy is absolute money so far. I like Ray as more of an all around player, getting him involved in the passing game more, once he is in space, its over. However Pierce as a between the tackles down hill runner... tough to get much better than he has been. So all in all, no I have not lost confidence in Ray, although he has not come up very big in the playoffs, and he could have very well have cost us the game last week with those fumbles.

It's not that I lost confidence, it's just with the cap and how he's been playing I feel like there were better ways to spend that money.

Pierce is a better rusher, he fits well as a one cut guy because he generates huge momentum and breaks a lot of tackles.

With that said unless he becomes a good receiver and blocker then Rice should remain the starter, being able to pass on early downs makes us less predictable.

[quote name='horus13corvineus' timestamp='1357829407' post='1300486']
i really like the second part of the "No" answer
[/quote]

Haha. I probably should have put two different "No" answers - but figured that would suffice.

I haven't lost confidence in Rice because I don't see him as an elite RB. He's really good at rushing, but I've seen him stutter quite a bit and become impatient. He is, however, an elite RB in terms of receptions. So, no, my confidence in him is the same.

He's still a big part of our offense.

Simply put, no. He's a playmaker, complete running back and a big part of the offense. A couple of fluke fumbles won't make me lose confidence when he's not really a fumbler.

[indent=1]I love RR and his big play capabilities, but I can't say that I have ever been fully confident in him getting the tough yards like a 3rd and one. With the emergence of Pierce and his downhill running style, our backfield has definately been upgraded.[/indent]

The results will be almost as skewed as the "Retire #52?" thread.

No. Rice is awesome. Have we forgotten what this kid does in open space? 4th and 29 anyone???

No but Pierce is becoming the better runner, but Rice is still dynamic in every aspect of the game. He will not fumble again like the colts game so thats a plus.

Rice is the better receiver and probably a more dynamic playmaker (currently). Pierce has appeared to have less indecision in his running and is running harder for more yards than rice, he also is a much better blocker than rice, who is absolute garbage in that department.

As a rusher, I'm beginning to lose faith in him. He just doesn't run with any sense of authority. He goes down easily, he tap dances to the hole, and has a tendency to disappear several games a year.

That being said, he leaves me in awe and amazement as a receiving back. The things he does in the open field are mind blowing. He's truly remarkable in the open field.

His blocking has improved a little bit from last year; I'll give him that.

As a whole, no. I haven't lost faith in him, but I would like him to be the explosive runner that he was in 2009. He hasn't run like that consistently since 2009.

It does seem like Rice gets stopped for little or no gain more often than Pierce does. He seems to get his yardage in chunks which can make it difficult to sustain drives.

I read somewhere Rice was playing sick, like he did 2 years ago against Pitt when he fumbled.

[quote name='redlobster' timestamp='1357837614' post='1300584']
Rice is the better receiver and probably a more dynamic playmaker (currently). Pierce has appeared to have less indecision in his running and is running harder for more yards than rice, he also is a much better blocker than rice, who is absolute garbage in that department.
[/quote]
Pierce is definitely not a better blocker. Im not sure where that comes from...he let up like 3 pressures just in the last game alone. Rice isnt great as a blocker but at least he is a dynamic receiving option which Pierce is far from.

I definitely have not lost faith in Rice. He is an important cog in our offense and is still our best playmaker. I do like the timeshare with Pierce though because it keeps Rice fresh and forces the D to respect our running game every single snap. Pierce is a great #2 RB, possibly the best in the league right now.

What if... Ray Rice held the ball loose on purpose so Broncos defenders would spend more time trying to punch it out rather than tackle him so he could gain more yards?

j/k j/k, that'd be stupid... right? :-)

Here is my answer...

Skip it to 1:03

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIijBLnIKDI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIijBLnIKDI[/url]

Absolutely not. To put it simply, Ray Rice is our best player. He keeps our offense afloat when everyone else around him underachieves and it's a proven fact that when we give him the ball, we churn out wins. Also, some say that they are tired of seeing Rice stopped at the somewhere near the LOS when the run play doesn't work but I've noticed with Pierce that when his run gets stuffed, he usually ends up losing 3-5 yards. Irrelevant fact, but just something to think about for those concerned about that particular subject. Ray Rice is rarely dropped for a loss.

[quote name='izvoodoo' timestamp='1357828841' post='1300479']
It's not that I lost confidence, it's just with the cap and how he's been playing I feel like there were better ways to spend that money.
[/quote]

good stuff. i been sayin that since way back when, you make your name in the playoffs, and rice has been fumbling in the playoffs at key moments in games (indy 10, pit 11) , and has not produced. wat saved us is our defense, like usual, and that flacco didnt have any to's. i been said rice is basically a bust, he's an avg running back, we should have waived him. when teams start franchising you, and you hold out and you really havent done anything in the playoffs, then get extended, you don't hang around much after. and RB's a easy finds really, if a guy can run a 4.5 and bench 315, he can play running back. look at morris in washington, 6th rounder.

I honestly hate that this is even a question. Ray Rice is arguable a top 3 running back in this league as a total package and I have heard numerous ravens fans considering the idea of trading him? You don't trade a pro bowler just because a rookie in the same position has shown upside. I for one love pierce, but I love and trust Rice more. Having both of them, as well as leach in our backfield is just a bonus. No need to trade any of them, when you can have them all.

[quote name='zac_fuller' timestamp='1357863318' post='1301080']
I honestly hate that this is even a question. Ray Rice is arguable a top 3 running back in this league as a total package and I have heard numerous ravens fans considering the idea of trading him? You don't trade a pro bowler just because a rookie in the same position has shown upside. I for one love pierce, but I love and trust Rice more. Having both of them, as well as leach in our backfield is just a bonus. No need to trade any of them, when you can have them all.
[/quote]
I would never trade Rice...... Unless if it was a Herschel Warker esq trade where we could get TONS of stuff.
I like them all, Pierce is a better runner though

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1357863688' post='1301085']
I would never trade Rice...... Unless if it was a Herschel Warker esq trade where we could get TONS of stuff.
I like them all, Pierce is a better runner though
[/quote]

I agree that pierce is a better runner, but as an overall player, I think we can both agree that Rice is on another level

[quote name='zac_fuller' timestamp='1357863789' post='1301087']
I agree that pierce is a better runner, but as an overall player, I think we can both agree that Rice is on another level
[/quote]
Oh hell yeah. No questions asked. If Pierce works on his reciving skills, look out

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1357863954' post='1301091']
Oh hell yeah. No questions asked. If Pierce works on his reciving skills, look out
[/quote]

That would be a nastyyyy backfield

[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1357838388' post='1300594']
As a rusher, I'm beginning to lose faith in him. He just doesn't run with any sense of authority. He goes down easily, he tap dances to the hole, and has a tendency to disappear several games a year.

That being said, he leaves me in awe and amazement as a receiving back. The things he does in the open field are mind blowing. He's truly remarkable in the open field.

His blocking has improved a little bit from last year; I'll give him that.

As a whole, no. I haven't lost faith in him, but I would like him to be the explosive runner that he was in 2009. He hasn't run like that consistently since 2009.
[/quote]
Heh. I remember last year, Rice tried to pick up a blitzer and when the guy tried to jump over Rice to get Flacco, Rice just moved out of the way instead of trying to block.

I've gained some. I have a feeling he's gonna go off because he wants redemption.

I voted option #2. I just don't think he is that good at running the ball. It seems if he gets a big run once or twice in a game, people forget all the other plays that be barely gets anywhere. He falls down way too easy, definitely not the answer to our short yardage situations.

He does a good job at catching the ball . But any quick RB would be a mis-match for a LB so I really don't know. My wife can't stand him since she saw that video of him mouthing off to Vonte Leach last year. lol

Bottom Line: I think we over payed him.

I still have the same confidence is Rice as an all-purpose back. Rice is WILD in open space, he can move one way and fake you out the other. He can take a short dump off pass and take it the distance, but what he doesn't do (IMHO) is [b]run[/b] more effective than Pierce.

Much confidence in Ray for the elite all around RB he is.
Much respect and confidence in Bernard for the authority he runs behind his pads.

i dont understand why media and people here are making a big deal out of it,we won the game,Ray Rice was most likely the closest to Ray Lewis,give him a break.

What have you done for me lately?

Of course I have faith. Find me a more productive back over the last 4 or 5 years. Other than Adrian Peterson and maybe, Arian Foster depending on your rubric, Ray has been the best. He's the best offensive player on his team. It's crazy that we see another player do well and these questions pop up. He's elite and he's consistent. I love Pierce but wait until he's the focus of defensive gameplans before trying to make an apples to apples comparison.

Keep Rice as the starter unless the situation deteriorates, but give Pierce more runs. He's a threat unto himself.

[quote name='VA_Fan' timestamp='1357878593' post='1301378']
I voted option #2. I just don't think he is that good at running the ball. It seems if he gets a big run once or twice in a game, people forget all the other plays that be barely gets anywhere. He falls down way too easy, definitely not the answer to our short yardage situations.

He does a good job at catching the ball . But any quick RB would be a mis-match for a LB so I really don't know. My wife can't stand him since she saw that video of him mouthing off to Vonte Leach last year. lol

Bottom Line: I think we over payed him.
[/quote]

I think it's more than 2 big plays. He is a playmaker and has the potential to change the game and change momentum. Sometimes it seems like he's not getting yards because teams gameplan for him. I noticed when we put in Pierce and he gets good yardage, Rice gets good yardage after him. It really is a good one-two punch. Rice is really crucial to dump offs when Flacco has nowhere else to go.

As for Rice mouthing off to Leach, these guys are really close like brothers. Brothers fight, but at the end of the day, they always have each other's backs.

[quote name='jaege' timestamp='1357868669' post='1301178']
Wow, you really have to be bored to create these foolish polls.
[/quote]

Why? There's been a lot of hating on Rice lately, and I wanted to see the general consensus of things.

Just because you have such a strong opinion (even though you failed to share that with us), doesn't mean that everyone else agreed.

Perhaps it's time to go look up the word "forum" in a dictionary.

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1357863954' post='1301091']
[/quote]
How many carries do you think Pierce should be getting.

[quote name='izvoodoo' timestamp='1357916624' post='1301632']
How many carries do you think Pierce should be getting.
[/quote]
12-15 carries/game

[quote name='terpsnation' timestamp='1357827919' post='1300460']
Let me start out this thread by saying that[b] I have not lost any confidence in Ray Rice[/b].

Looking over the boards, I see a lot of people hating on RR27, and announcing that Pierce is the new coming of Jesus, and that we should be feeding him the ball as much as possible.

So, on that note, I wanted to start a thread to see if people have, or are beginning to lose any of their confidence in our running back.

I rewatched the entire Colts game last night, and to be honest, I can't really see where the Ray Rice hating is coming from. Everyone seems to forget the play in the end of the first half where Ray Rice ran for 47 yards, ending up on the Colts 2 yard line, that set up our first touchdown of the game. This clearly swung the momentum towards us (even though our defense allowed the Colts to march down the field and score a FG on the subsequent drive) and without it, I think the game could have ended very differently.

So, anyway. If you have lost confidence in Rice, why? One big reason could be his 2 fumbles (even though one was incorrectly called as being recovered by Indy), but other than that, I don't really see any reason for all the hate.

EDIT: Also, for clarity's sake, I voted for "No - You're Stupid". I guess it's going to be one of those self-deprecating days.
[/quote]

I assume you're directing this post at me.

I never said "Pierce was the second coming of Jesus" or anything like that.

I'm also not losing confidence in Rice. I've stated what I've said for years... he's just not that fast, can't break tackles, and doesn't have the initial burst that gets RBs through holes quickly.

These are all attributes you'd like a back to have. Pierce seems to be better in all these areas, in my opinion, and I think giving him more carries helps the offense as a whole.

These opinions have nothing to do with Rice's fumbles last week. I've maintained this stance for a long time before Rice ever got his new contract, and said that RB is the easiest spot to fill with talent because there's so much of it out there and the NFL rules have really diminished the value of running the ball.

What Rice is... is a very good receiver and usually has great vision and usually makes the right cut once he's in the open field. I just wish he had some more speed to finish those runs with TDs.

In case you haven't noticed, the offense just works better with Rice losing carries to Pierce. To say the Ravens should be force-feeding Rice so he gets X amount of carries is just foolish. I believe they should be running the ball more and using the backs more... but Pierce should definitely be getting a share of that.

And my ultimate point to your question... if some team was looking for a back, with all that hype Ray Rice has built up through the media and fans, he'd probably garner a very nice draft pick or player or combination of the two. You replace him with a cheaper option, and Pierce is the new starter. If you're about continually improving the team, you have to at least consider that fact. It does no good to let him go for nothing once his trade value has diminished.

Ray Rice has produced nice numbers, but I'm not convinced the Ravens wouldn't get the same production or better out of many other backs. If you can improve other areas of the team, and get the same production from that position, it's just a smart move.

just make sure you do go and vote for little Ray [url="http://2012playoftheyear.nfl.com/"]http://2012playoftheyear.nfl.com/[/url]

[quote name='edreedfromtheu' timestamp='1357917277' post='1301639']
I assume you're directing this post at me.
[/quote]

Sorry - my post wasn't directed at anyone in particular. Just from my observations of the board in general. You may have been one of the people posting about losing confidence in Rice, but I didn't create this thread because of you specifically :)

[quote name='blitzking33' timestamp='1357916919' post='1301635']
12-15 carries/game
[/quote]
Agreed, I feel like it should be split.

[quote name='terpsnation' timestamp='1357915383' post='1301609']
Why? There's been a lot of hating on Rice lately, and I wanted to see the general consensus of things.

Just because you have such a strong opinion (even though you failed to share that with us), doesn't mean that everyone else agreed.

Perhaps it's time to go look up the word "forum" in a dictionary.
[/quote]

Actually, I did share. I went with "no you're stupid". While that is a bit of a misnomer. I am not completely sure you are stupid, but the poll certainly is. The "hating" on Rice is either from Steeler's fans that are posing as real fans, by bandwagoners who do not know the game of football and just watch with their "spouses" or by people who are just surprised by those two mistakes, and not really "hating" at all, so much as expressing confusion. It is seriously doubtful that anyone has really lost faith in our most productive player. Unless they have lost faith in the team.