45 replies to this topic

#1 TonyTone1192

TonyTone1192

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

Ecstatic that we got the win this past sunday and that we're still playing! How lovely would it be for Ray to go out the same way that Bettis left the game (after a Superbowl title).

I still have a few concerns w/ our offense. I'm not too worried about Rice's fumbles I know that he'll clean it up.

But we had the ball for 22 minutes and we were on defense for 37 minutes. Our defense is coming together, but against Manning, if he's on the field for that long the general WILL pick us apart. That has been a major problem w/ our offense throughout the season, time of possession.

The fact that we are underdogs, playing a hot team on the ROAD, against one of the best QB's in NFL history I believe that we need to control the rock and keep the ball out of Manning's hands' to help our chances of avenging that 34-17 HOME loss.

What do you guys believe our keys to success are for this Saturday?

Edited by TonyTone1192, 09 January 2013 - 09:14 PM.

bleed P U R P L E!

#2 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

Close game.. Ravens win
Banned

#3 codizzle

codizzle

Director of Admissions- BSHU

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,249 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

Scoring more than the other team
Just WIN Out!!!

6f3898d1-1b88-4209-a3a5-ed7fe2348d4b.jpg

+35

#4 Malkavian Raven

Malkavian Raven

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

This game will be won in the trenches, period.

If our O-Line can block in both the run game & passing game, we'll be able to put ourselves into a favorable position to win this ball game.

If our D-Line can stop their running game that Peyton is so quick to audible to and get in Manning's face, we can keep him out of the endzone much like the last time we met.

WE RAISE OUR HEAVY GLASS TO YOU IN OUR INDESTRUCTIBLE DAYS
login.png
MAY HEAVENS CALL TO YOU, MAY STARS ALIGN AND LIGHT YOUR WAY

#5 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

This game will be won in the trenches, period.

If our O-Line can block in both the run game & passing game, we'll be able to put ourselves into a favorable position to win this ball game.

If our D-Line can stop their running game that Peyton is so quick to audible to and get in Manning's face, we can keep him out of the endzone much like the last time we met.

Ray can also read the offense perfectly too. The D can stop the run game
Banned

#6 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,762 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

All depends how the Oline plays. Particularly in the run game. If we're one dimensional its going to be ugly.

#7 cursona pirate

cursona pirate

Pickle Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,676 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

You sure?

12540_520124434672144_755007992_n.jpg

Pitta Hut is now open! WE ALWAYS DELIVER.

#8 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

You don't say?
Banned

#9 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

The Colts had the ball so long because it took them forever to move down the field. Manning isn't going to have the ball for 37 minutes unless he struggles as well. How is that a problem?

#10 ellicottraven

ellicottraven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,465 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:06 AM

Ecstatic that we got the win this past sunday and that we're still playing! How lovely would it be for Ray to go out the same way that Bettis left the game (after a Superbowl title).

I still have a few concerns w/ our offense. I'm not too worried about Rice's fumbles I know that he'll clean it up.

But we had the ball for 22 minutes and we were on defense for 37 minutes. Our defense is coming together, but against Manning, if he's on the field for that long the general WILL pick us apart. That has been a major problem w/ our offense throughout the season, time of possession.

The fact that we are underdogs, playing a hot team on the ROAD, against one of the best QB's in NFL history I believe that we need to control the rock and keep the ball out of Manning's hands' to help our chances of avenging that 34-17 HOME loss.

You hit the nail on the head. That is what I have been screaming about too! They allowed the Colts 87 snaps on offense - 87! Unbelievable. If we got 87 snaps we would have piled up 600 yards that day! Unless the Ravens win time of possession, our defense is going to tire, especially in thin air and Manning will have a field day! However, that means bombs down the field and chunk plays aren't enough, we need to have long drives and then score TDS!
Baltimore Ravens - classiest organization in all of organized sport!

#11 SirPainsalot

SirPainsalot

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:43 AM

This whole game depends on the offense.
If we can keep the ball to ourselves, give time for our defense to rest against Manning's onslaught, and be able to put points up the board, we have a shot. For sure.

Fail to do that, and we become another footnote in football history, never redeeming Ray Lewis with one last ring. Sad, but true.

#12 NaveSenrag

NaveSenrag

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:23 AM

Caldwell said that the offense started slow because they were testing the Colts D, but we've already got experience with the Broncos D so that shouldn't be as much of a problem. My advice to Harbs would be to go with what we know works right out of the gate. If we can storm up the field on the first drive and put points on the board, we can keep the Broncos on the back foot. If we can get a good lead early on, we can force them to play the vanilla on offense, and go into damage control mode on defense. When they do that, we can really get into a groove and take over time of possession like we did against the Giants.

The more I think about this game, the better a chance I think we have. It's just a matter of the team doing the things it has proven it is able to do. We don't need Joe to suddenly throw ten touchdowns, or Suggs and Kruger to combine for ten sacks, we just need accuracy, and good pressure. We don't need to get five interceptions, we just need solid coverage. We don't need fifty yard runs, we need consistent four and five yard runs.

Edited by NaveSenrag, 10 January 2013 - 06:25 AM.

#13 ravens88

ravens88

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:23 AM

Stopping the run on defense is critical we need those long 3rd downs. Our O-line has to play its best game of the year we must have a good running game and be able to keep Joe upright with as little pressure as possible, Joe with no pressure is a dang good QB.

#14 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,997 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

I'll agree with you from the standpoint that over the course of the season the offense hasn't stayed on the field long enough, but that wasn't the case against the Colts.

It was the defenses fault they were on the field so much. The offense was ever efficient on 3rd downs and that's generally the issue. The numbers say the Ravens were 4 of 10, but they were much better.

The Colts came in with a gameplan similar to how most people thing the Ravens need to play in order to beat Manning. They played small ball and kept the clock running. They kept themselves in 3rd and short, making it easier to convert. They also ran a lot of illegal picks. But that's another story.

The Defense didn't have to make too many adjustments to this approach becausse the only way the Colts could beat them was with big plays. So they let them dink and dong.

I made the comment in the game thread that Flacco was having a Peyton/+Brady type performance. Taking full advantage of limited opportunities, because the other offense was trying to keep him off the field. If Ray doesn't fumble and Tandon catches that TD, it's a much different game and the Colts can't play small ball. Luck would have been forced to move throw the ball down field, which would've lead to more chances for the D to get off the field.

As for the Broncos, if the Ravens can force Manning to play small ball just like the Colts did, it's a win imo. As patient as Peyton is, he gets frustrated when he can't push the ball down field and that's what forces him to press. Manning will throw a few picks if you force him to press.

People say the key is keeping Manning off the field, i agree and disagree with that. I think the key is for the Ravens to play their game. Under Caldwell the Ravens have been much more balance. They either use the run to set up the Pass or vice versa. Stay with that. Force the Broncos to adjust to you. Don't adjust your game just because Peyton is on the other sideline.

You have Flacco, Rice, Boldin, Smith, Jones, Pitta, Dickson, Leach, Doss and Peirce, USE them all. Force the Broncos to adjust to getting you off the field instead of them saying, stop the run and sit on the sticks on 3rd downs. Too many times in games like this, Cam would go into a shell trying to run clock after the opening Kickoff.

Though it's possible, I don't see 17 points winning this game. It's gonna take at least 24 points to win this game, so why not try to get that 24 in the first half? That Denver defense has great numbers, but why let them off the hook? Attack their weakness just like you did with NYG and the Colts.

I wonder how Peyton would deal with the Ravens defense if he had to overcome a 24-3 deficit? How would that Broncos oline hold up, if the Ravens took the element of the play action away and could just pin their ears back and hunt because they have a big lead? Well lets find out.

Don't let Peyton Manning dictate the whole game, he's just one man and should have no effect on how our offense performs. Ray Lewis said it best, the Ravens are playing the Broncos, not Peyton Manning.

mj5v69.jpg

#15 Guest_Mr. Nobody_*

Guest_Mr. Nobody_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

You sure?

You don't say?

i'd say... allowing less points than the other defense will win this one... it's all in the game lol

#16 ravensfan520

ravensfan520

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

I'll agree with you from the standpoint that over the course of the season the offense hasn't stayed on the field long enough, but that wasn't the case against the Colts.

It was the defenses fault they were on the field so much. The offense was ever efficient on 3rd downs and that's generally the issue. The numbers say the Ravens were 4 of 10, but they were much better.

The Colts came in with a gameplan similar to how most people thing the Ravens need to play in order to beat Manning. They played small ball and kept the clock running. They kept themselves in 3rd and short, making it easier to convert. They also ran a lot of illegal picks. But that's another story.

The Defense didn't have to make too many adjustments to this approach becausse the only way the Colts could beat them was with big plays. So they let them dink and dong.

I made the comment in the game thread that Flacco was having a Peyton/+Brady type performance. Taking full advantage of limited opportunities, because the other offense was trying to keep him off the field. If Ray doesn't fumble and Tandon catches that TD, it's a much different game and the Colts can't play small ball. Luck would have been forced to move throw the ball down field, which would've lead to more chances for the D to get off the field.

As for the Broncos, if the Ravens can force Manning to play small ball just like the Colts did, it's a win imo. As patient as Peyton is, he gets frustrated when he can't push the ball down field and that's what forces him to press. Manning will throw a few picks if you force him to press.

People say the key is keeping Manning off the field, i agree and disagree with that. I think the key is for the Ravens to play their game. Under Caldwell the Ravens have been much more balance. They either use the run to set up the Pass or vice versa. Stay with that. Force the Broncos to adjust to you. Don't adjust your game just because Peyton is on the other sideline.

You have Flacco, Rice, Boldin, Smith, Jones, Pitta, Dickson, Leach, Doss and Peirce, USE them all. Force the Broncos to adjust to getting you off the field instead of them saying, stop the run and sit on the sticks on 3rd downs. Too many times in games like this, Cam would go into a shell trying to run clock after the opening Kickoff.

Though it's possible, I don't see 17 points winning this game. It's gonna take at least 24 points to win this game, so why not try to get that 24 in the first half? That Denver defense has great numbers, but why let them off the hook? Attack their weakness just like you did with NYG and the Colts.

I wonder how Peyton would deal with the Ravens defense if he had to overcome a 24-3 deficit? How would that Broncos oline hold up, if the Ravens took the element of the play action away and could just pin their ears back and hunt because they have a big lead? Well lets find out.

Don't let Peyton Manning dictate the whole game, he's just one man and should have no effect on how our offense performs. Ray Lewis said it best, the Ravens are playing the Broncos, not Peyton Manning.

Great post

#17 ansleyr815

ansleyr815

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

The Broncos gave the Ravens their most embarrassing home loss. That will be tough to overcome such a mental hurdle. Add the lack of oxygen against Manning's no-huddle attack...the result will be a 38-10 Broncos victory.

#18 zac_fuller

zac_fuller

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

Pressure Manning! And limit our turnovers

#19 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

If we can stop the run for once... GG

z66oxxi.jpg

#20 TonyTone1192

TonyTone1192

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

Stopping the run on defense is critical we need those long 3rd downs. Our O-line has to play its best game of the year we must have a good running game and be able to keep Joe upright with as little pressure as possible, Joe with no pressure is a dang good QB.

Very true.. Manning didn't really have a field day against us a month ago it was that run game, we had NO answer for it.
And I completely agree about Joe and that pressure, he did a good job of dancing against the Colts and avoiding pressure when it came his way.

bleed P U R P L E!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users