#1 Ragin'Raven

Ragin'Raven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

http://abcnews.go.co...59#.UOzH5bQTvL9

I don't know if anyone saw this or has a different opinion on it than me, but this is a fascinating story about an 11-year-old girl who is trying to fight the Archdiocese of Philadelphia to her right to play football. If you watch the video, she's a pretty good little player. She wants to play football, I hope she gets a chance to continue to play the game. There is an online petition that thousands have signed already at http://www.change.or...w-girls-to-play

I thought I'd just pass it along. I hope she gets what she wants. :)

I'm a mama of three boys. Nothing scares or disgusts me anymore. 

#2 Malkavian Raven

Malkavian Raven

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

I admire her courage more than anything. She wants to play for all the right reasons. My biggest fear, as I'm sure it's pretty obvious -- just don't need her getting seriously hurt or it will ruin the chances for any girls in the future.

I wish her the best of luck.

WE RAISE OUR HEAVY GLASS TO YOU IN OUR INDESTRUCTIBLE DAYS
login.png
MAY HEAVENS CALL TO YOU, MAY STARS ALIGN AND LIGHT YOUR WAY

#3 Ragin'Raven

Ragin'Raven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

I admire her courage more than anything. She wants to play for all the right reasons. My biggest fear, as I'm sure it's pretty obvious -- just don't need her getting seriously hurt or it will ruin the chances for any girls in the future.

I wish her the best of luck.

I thought about that myself, but then again, boys could get hurt just as bad, if not worse, than she could. If she is aware of the dangers and still wants to play, let her play!

#4 Malkavian Raven

Malkavian Raven

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

I thought about that myself, but then again, boys could get hurt just as bad, if not worse, than she could. If she is aware of the dangers and still wants to play, let her play!

If Danica can race, Caroline can play football. *nods*

WE RAISE OUR HEAVY GLASS TO YOU IN OUR INDESTRUCTIBLE DAYS
login.png
MAY HEAVENS CALL TO YOU, MAY STARS ALIGN AND LIGHT YOUR WAY

#5 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Can not follow rules

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Sammie Football, anyone?
<p><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);"><span style="font-size:24px;">Banned</span></span>.</p>

#6 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

I'm all for girls playing any sports they want to, just not with boys.

#7 Guest_Mr. Nobody_*

Guest_Mr. Nobody_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:58 AM

she might get picked on by the other team(s) too, but it always starts with one in order to bring inovation into any aspect of live

#8 Moderator 2

Moderator 2

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,143 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:41 AM

I wish I could have played at that age--I played flag football in an intramural all girls league and got booted for being too rough lol I also was playing in a Catholic league this goes with the old ban on patent leather shoes lol
68f2a8.jpg

#9 JO_75

JO_75

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,964 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

Let's flip this, let's say it was a boy trying to play an all girls sport. I guarantee nobody would have a problem at all with the boy joining an all girls team but because a girl is trying to play an all boys sport like Football, it's an issue.

#10 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

Let's flip this, let's say it was a boy trying to play an all girls sport. I guarantee nobody would have a problem at all with the boy joining an all girls team but because a girl is trying to play an all boys sport like Football, it's an issue.

It's easy to make guarantees on something that's never happened. Trust me I'm sure there are NBA rejects who would love nothing more than to play in the WNBA, take someones paycheck and dunk all over those uncoordinated women.

#11 Ragin'Raven

Ragin'Raven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

I figured it'd be a matter of time before someone "famous" signed it and showed support. Ellen, the TV host, signed it. With her over 15 million Twitter supporters, that little girl's petition has skyrocketed!

#12 Guest_Mr. Nobody_*

Guest_Mr. Nobody_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:57 AM

all sports are divided by gender... olympic games included... my belief is that the split should be done only at pro level... while not there yet all teams/sports should allow a mixture of genders... fun should take precedent to performance at amator level

#13 RiseNConquer1983

RiseNConquer1983

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

If a girl can keep up with the boys, in every sense, why not let her play with them? At 11 years old, boys and girls' physical strength......not as much of an issue as when they turn 20. And even then there are women who could play with the men. (other issues with that than just strength though)

#14 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Can not follow rules

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

Loved that Sammy Football got recognized at the NFL Awards! I'm optimistic that I'll see a female NFL player in my lifetime!
<p><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);"><span style="font-size:24px;">Banned</span></span>.</p>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users