4 replies to this topic

#1 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

We finally got a chance to see McKinnie start with Oher taking the right side and Osemele switching to LG. The overall play didn't look too amazing but there is one simple fact. Flacco was sacked only ONCE on a play where the defender simply read the PA Boot and made a play. Not entirely the fault of the O-line. More specifically though, I want to focus on Oher.

Oher seems to struggle the most with getting beat by speed rushers, or guys who simply run around him. Most don't run through him due to his extremely quick step off the snap (which has lead to multiple false starts) since he can set up so quick, but he doesn't usually get blown up from power rushers. The most notable thing about this is that when he gets beat it's very prevalent on the left side, but not so much on the right.

As we saw against the Colts, when a rusher ran around Oher Flacco simply saw it, stepped up, and made the throw. On the blind side Flacco doesn't see it and gets stripped sacked. Oher did not have a great game by any means against the Colts BUT Flacco did not get sacked because of him. You can argue Oher is bad but he did not let up any sacks.

Going forward I am for keeping him on the right side and getting a LT somewhere. Osemele simply excels at LG more than anybody on the team and Oher is a hardworker who will hopefully improve.

Against the Broncos I am a bit weary because of Von Miller. Von Miller would destroy McKinnie, Oher, and Osemele. It is a lose lose situation but I would much rather Oher take on Von Miller on the right side and keep McKinnie on the left to deal with Dumervil. Not an ideal situation but keeping Osemele at RT and Oher at LT worked out terribly the first time around. I think Harbaugh knows that and starting McKinnie against the Colts was preparation to play the Broncos. I don't want to play the same O-line we did in Week 15. I think Oher will handle Von Miller on the right better than Osemele can and McKinnie should be fine against Dumervil. You aren't going to stop Von Miller so why not put our weakest link against him. At least if he's beat on the speed rush Flacco can step up and make a play.

Edited by dhstandard, 07 January 2013 - 09:06 PM.

2yno6dx.png

#2 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

At least we have an OC that can schematically help his players out rather than one that just leaves them out to dry.

#3 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

At least we have an OC that can schematically help his players out rather than one that just leaves them out to dry.

In a way it's my point though. If Von Miller is inevitably going to blow up whoever plays RT. And Oher is most likely going to stink it up whereever he plays, then why not just isolate those problems to one spot. Who knows. Maybe Oher's lightning fast first step will match Von Miller's equally as fast reaction. He may contain him somewhat.

2yno6dx.png

#4 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,484 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

McKinnie scares me. I never know if he's going to try or not. When he puts in effort he's an elite LT but sometimes he just doesn't try. He hardly ever tries in the run game. He may have done great as a pass blocker last game but his run blocking was ugly!

#5 Clayton Bigsby

Clayton Bigsby

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

I feel that Oher played a horrible game. I remember 3 different times he allowed pressure to get to Flacco, causing him to hit the panic button and throw some near INTs. I feel that Oher has regressed in a year where we needed him to show some leadership and he needs to straighten out fast if he is going to be a long term answer for us at tackle. The only reason he is playing for us is because we are young and inexperienced on the line so we don't really have anyone else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users