39 replies to this topic

#1 BMORE_96

BMORE_96

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

This has been discussed in other threads but it deserved its own thread. The ravens are not perfect and this is evident . What must improve? For starters, oher and whoever plays nose tackle.

#2 krrock10

krrock10

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

- Run Defense - Specifically defensive line play. They do not get off blocks and do not protect the linebackers
- Pass offense - Flacco can be very inaccurate at times, receivers tend to disappear against press coverage, receivers drop balls
- Offensive Line - Very poor run and pass blocking at times

Edited by krrock10, 07 January 2013 - 03:56 PM.

#3 Mick0311

Mick0311

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

This is a tough question, because every weakness I can think of (QB at times, O-line at times, etc...) aren't really weaknesses in my opinion. I think those folks I have just mentioned are victims of streaky play. I don't think we really have a position we can point to and say "man, that dude just plain sucks. If they go at him, we are done." We have been inconsistent, that's all. If the o-line plays like it did yesterday, we are good there. Flacco plays like he has at times, we are good there. I think this game is one of those games where we have a chance. We are underdogs, and I believe that is a fair assessment. I also believe that if these boys even remotely "put it all together", we can trounce any team in the league. We are going to need one of those games this weekend. This will be a game where even the slightest mistakes will cost you. We will not be able to fumble the ball twice and walk away with a "W". (as an example).

#4 blackandpurplesacks

blackandpurplesacks

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

Defensive coverage. This has some to do with play calling (Pees' soft zone) and also just mental coverage lapses by the players. There always seems to be holes in the defense

#5 Miami Hurricane

Miami Hurricane

Category 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,773 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

This is a tough question, because every weakness I can think of (QB at times, O-line at times, etc...) aren't really weaknesses in my opinion. I think those folks I have just mentioned are victims of streaky play. I don't think we really have a position we can point to and say "man, that dude just plain sucks. If they go at him, we are done." We have been inconsistent, that's all. If the o-line plays like it did yesterday, we are good there. Flacco plays like he has at times, we are good there. I think this game is one of those games where we have a chance. We are underdogs, and I believe that is a fair assessment. I also believe that if these boys even remotely "put it all together", we can trounce any team in the league. We are going to need one of those games this weekend. This will be a game where even the slightest mistakes will cost you. We will not be able to fumble the ball twice and walk away with a "W". (as an example).

Idk I think kemo just plain sucks
"It was cool."- Joe Flacco"When you go in the lion's den, you don't tippy toe in. You carry a spear, you go in screaming like a banshee, you kick whatever doors in, and say, 'Where's the SOB?' If you go in any other way you're gonna lose."- Brian BillickOwner of Thomas Nast's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen who Enjoy Sailboats and Luther Vandross in the 2013 BR.com Franchise Mock<p>

#6 rlh445

rlh445

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,885 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

This has been discussed in other threads but it deserved its own thread. The ravens are not perfect and this is evident . What must improve? For starters, oher and whoever plays nose tackle.

Haven't you heard? Everything.

This is football, not teacups with the Queen.

#7 dirtybird10

dirtybird10

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Defensive coverage. This has some to do with play calling (Pees' soft zone) and also just mental coverage lapses by the players. There always seems to be holes in the defense

Yup just way too many wide open wide receivers. I don't get it, I almost never see our guys wide open down the field. I look at opposing offenses, and almost every pass play there is not a defender within 5 yards of a guy. I know we have been doing a bend but not break, and they know their personnel better than I, but it just seems like we give way too much room down the field. Maybe its just Pees knows our secondary cannot hold up in tight man coverage enough, we really have not been giving up many points once were in the red zone.... I dunno

#8 BMORE_96

BMORE_96

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

Idk I think kemo just plain sucks

I second this. If the ravens have a clear, definite weakness it is him and cody. Most of their long runs were because of them or the edge not being help up by the olbs, think kruger, suggs, albert, and upshaw were guilty there.

Yup just way too many wide open wide receivers. I don't get it, I almost never see our guys wide open down the field. I look at opposing offenses, and almost every pass play there is not a defender within 5 yards of a guy. I know we have been doing a bend but not break, and they know their personnel better than I, but it just seems like we give way too much room down the field. Maybe its just Pees knows our secondary cannot hold up in tight man coverage enough, we really have not been giving up many points once were in the red zone.... I dunno

This has been a staple since the beginning. People are open because we like zone blites on thrid and long(ideal if you consistently get there. We play man coverage at times and do relatively well. I think it would be used more because webb was masterful in man coverage, hope he comes back ready to go.

And ray lewis is a weakness on third down especially, he allows yards to tight ends alot. I recommend platooning bynes and ayanbedajo.

Edited by BMORE_96, 07 January 2013 - 04:18 PM.

#9 blackandpurplesacks

blackandpurplesacks

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

The thing is though, at least with Jimmy, and I think also with Cary, they play best when they do press the receiver, and jam them on the line. That is what put Jimmy in the first round and made him such a great CB in college, he is big and physical. But we never seem to put them on the line of scrimmage, they are always 5-10 yards off the ball.

#10 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,146 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

Mike oher

#11 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,998 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

The pass defense is not a weakness. The reason why the Ravens played so much zone yesterday was because, the only way Luck and that offense was gonna beat the Ravens was with big pass plays.

The Colts wanted to protect Luck by playing small ball and the Ravens were more then willing to allow them. The Ravens took the approach that the more Luck throws, the better the chance for TOs. The Colts only had like 4.9 yards per play, which is good for the defense.

mj5v69.jpg

#12 dirtybird10

dirtybird10

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

The thing is though, at least with Jimmy, and I think also with Cary, they play best when they do press the receiver, and jam them on the line. That is what put Jimmy in the first round and made him such a great CB in college, he is big and physical. But we never seem to put them on the line of scrimmage, they are always 5-10 yards off the ball.

Agreed, although I have to believe Pees knows something we don't. It just seems too simple to adjust for. Nothing makes me more sick than seeing a third and 8 and a pass on us that is completed to a WR 20 yards down the deep middle zone. God how deflating.

#13 dirtybird10

dirtybird10

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

The pass defense is not a weakness. The reason why the Ravens played so much zone yesterday was because, the only way Luck and that offense was gonna beat the Ravens was with big pass plays.

The Colts wanted to protect Luck by playing small ball and the Ravens were more then willing to allow them. The Ravens took the approach that the more Luck throws, the better the chance for TOs. The Colts only had like 4.9 yards per play, which is good for the defense.

thats true, but this was not the only week we have played so soft in pass coverage. However, I would say we also missed a lot of tackles yesterday.

#14 Hardbaugh

Hardbaugh

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

Posted Image

This guy!!

he needs to put on the big boy pants , string together some first downs to keep Manning off the field. The TOP battle has been terrible all season . Flacco shoulders the blame for much of it.

#15 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

• Though Kruger has been balling with his pass rush, he tries to zoom upfield on EVERY play so when it's a run to his side it's always huge, because he is too far upfield to do anything about it.
  • Our middle line backers have to drop further back into coverage because we get CHEWED up over the middle of the field. Tight Ends always have big days on us.
  • Lastly we have to do a better job of keeping Flacco upright.

z66oxxi.jpg

#16 blackandpurplesacks

blackandpurplesacks

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

Posted Image

This guy!!

he needs to put on the big boy pants , string together some first downs to keep Manning off the field. The TOP battle has been terrible all season . Flacco shoulders the blame for much of it.

That picture and that play, I feel is where Joe decided to turn around his season.

I can't think of another QB in the league that would have ran 100 yds to chase a guy down, he had no shot as closing in on like he did. That showed me that Joe cares. That he so desperately wants to win. He realized he had to start stepping up and play better. If we win the super bowl, that is the moment I will look back on as a turning point.

#17 bauer77

bauer77

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Posted Image

This guy!!

Lol. You are such a Flacco hater, its pretty funny. Our team has WAY more problems than a few bad Flacco games.

Please, go back and watch a few games, take your eyes off Flacco for a second, watch our offensive line, and defensive line. Oher is trash, Birk is old and constantly gets blown up. And then on the d-line, Kemo is bad, and he "beat out" Cody for the spot, so it looks like Cody could be a bust.

nb4yyq.jpg
If tomorrow wasn't promised, what would you give for today? - Ray Lewis
Twitter

#18 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Oher and Dline and Cary
Banned

#19 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,920 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

First, out offensive line is all jumbled up. FO needs to take a long hard look there.
Second, defensive three. Ngata hasn't impressed but he stilled looked better than any NT we lined up next to him. Yuck.
Third, Quarterback. We need an offensive coordinator to key in on Flacco's strengths...what does that mean? Not sure what his strengths are but I expect more out of a 5 year starter and I don't wanna hear about how it's all the lines fault.

Basically the trenches and the QB play. Obviously our best cornerback is on IR. But if we could get a better pass rush to the QB, our corners wouldn't have to stay with their assignment as long. As for the offensive line, I just don't see a lot of push on run blocking and I see a lot of them getting pushed on pass blocking. QB1 needs to use more of the field and make better decisions with the ball. I was very unimpressed with the offense as a whole in the first half since the first 15-20 plays are usually scripted. Thank God for Anquan Boldin in the 2nd half!

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.
Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#20 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,480 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

It's really funny that people think Pees and his "soft zone" is a problem! Lol! You guys must not have watched the Ravens since before the bye week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users