70 replies to this topic

#1 757RavensFan

757RavensFan

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

OC Caldwell has a 2-2 record so far(2-1 in games that matter) during his short stint on the job. In your opinion as it stands right now, would you want him back as the Ravens OC for the 2013 season?

#2 Guest_Mr. Nobody_*

Guest_Mr. Nobody_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

too soon.. though I'll say this: if we cannot land Ken Whisenhunt, then yes... he will not accept a demotion back to QB coach... with a good offseason, he might give us a top five offense... dare I ask for Zorn back as QB coach if Caldwell gets the nod as OC?

Edited by horus13corvineus, 07 January 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#3 VA_Fan

VA_Fan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

I am happy so far.The one loss to the Bengals was pretty much a pre-season game cause we already had a spot in the playoffs and so we sat a lot of players.

#4 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,997 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

I think there may be better options out there, but I think he fits well for what the Ravens need right now. I think for continuity sake, Caldwell should return.

He seems to understand what Flacco likes and needs to be successful. I think with a full offseason of him implementing his approach will be huge. I think his eyes for the game is huge, he came into that Colts game with a plan and the Colts took it away. Caldwell stayed patient with it, but once he sensed a change was needed, he attacked the Colts in a different way.

He seems to have the pluse of the offense in his hands and that's great. I think he's earned the right to have a full season as the play caller.

mj5v69.jpg

#5 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,997 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

I am happy so far.The one loss to the Bengals was pretty much a pre-season game cause we already had a spot in the playoffs and so we sat a lot of players.

He also admitted that the Broncos game was so tough for him, because it was his first game. I actually thought he called a strong game, but execution was off. The offense just wasn't really clicking. I think Saturday will be a statement game for both Flacco and Caldwell.

mj5v69.jpg

#6 dirtybird10

dirtybird10

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

Its early, but so far I have feel we can see a noticable difference between he and cam. Many more plays that develop quicker or have Joe moving out of the pocket to buy more time. It feels like he adjusts better than Cam did. Also I don't think we can really include Cincy or Denver in there. Cincy was backups and Denver was his first week. All in all, I think things have looked better, but Sat is a big test for him.

#7 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

When Flacco is hot, he is as good as any QB in this league, even the great ones, but when he is not he can look awful. When your Qb is this streaky, playcalling is crucial, because your gameplan basically needs to be all about him and his receivers getting in rythm. Getting a really good OC on board might be more important for Joe's production then drafting a great receiver.
We should take our chances with a new OC, if someone really experienced and successful becomes available.

Edited by PolishRifle, 07 January 2013 - 09:57 AM.

bJNF689.jpg

#8 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

I like him purely because he makes adjustments, not knee jerk adjustments but just the right amount. If someone is having an off day he gives them a break, Cam would have made Joe keep throwing to Doss and hand off to Rice.

#9 FerrariFan87

FerrariFan87

Trust Me, A Jedi I Am

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,323 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

I like that he's figured out that Joe needs to move a little (with bootlegs, etc.) to help get him into a rhythm. Joe is more athletic than most people give him credit for, and it helps the O-line as well. I think he's done a great job thus far.

2550rra.jpg

#10 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,804 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

I like him purely because he makes adjustments, not knee jerk adjustments but just the right amount. If someone is having an off day he gives them a break, Cam would have made Joe keep throwing to Doss and hand off to Rice.

Cant agree more.
The biggest difference that I see so far is that Caldwell mixes things up, and is constantly making adjustments.

I dont know yet if he is our long term answer, but I feel that so far, he has warranted a chance to come back next year and show us what he can do with a system of his own.

I really do like what I have seen so far...great mixture of aggressiveness and clock management.
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#11 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

Talk to me after Denver. Our offense had a very poor showing in our first meeting but Caldwell had very little time to change any issues left over from Cam and implement anything new at all.

Our defense, as depleted as they were, held Peyton to 204 yards and 2 TDs. We should be able to control him even better this time around, or at least as well.

It will fall on the offense to perform. Rice will have to not fumble. Joe can't put the ball up for grabs like the first half and the WRs will have to find their hands. Yes, the Divisional game will be for the offense to win or lose. Show us what you got Caldwell.

Joe flacco picked up a fumbled ball off the ground like he just dropped the newspaper on the sidewalk by accident and flung it across the street square into the neighbor's open mailbox while being attacked by pit bulls on steroids - a Panther's fan

#12 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,804 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

Talk to me after Denver. Our offense had a very poor showing in our first meeting but Caldwell had very little time to change any issues left over from Cam and implement anything new at all.

Our defense, as depleted as they were, held Peyton to 204 yards and 2 TDs. We should be able to control him even better this time around, or at least as well.

It will fall on the offense to perform. Rice will have to not fumble. Joe can't put the ball up for grabs like the first half and the WRs will have to find their hands. Yes, the Divisional game will be for the offense to win or lose. Show us what you got Caldwell.

At the risk of turning this into yet another Flacco thread, that is one of the things that seperates Flacco from the greats. Guys like Brees and Rodgers and Brady etc, part of their success relies on the fact that they can make questionable throws into coverage knowing that they have guys who can go up and fight for a ball. Flacco doesn't have that (other than Boldin once in a while), but it's not like he has the option of not trusting his recievers.
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#13 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,369 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

When Flacco is hot, he is as good as any QB in this league, even the great ones, but when he is not he can look awful. When your Qb is this streaky, playcalling is crucial, because your gameplan basically needs to be all about him and his receivers getting in rythm. Getting a really good OC on board might be more important for Joe's production then drafting a great receiver.
We should take our chances with a new OC, if someone really experienced and successful becomes available.

i agree! i hate to see Flacco so "streaky" as you put it. man it ticks me off! but that is because i know he can be better than that and he should better than that after 5 years as a starting QB in the league. but as far as Caldwell? imo, he's doing okay! he makes subtle adjustments that are nice. i'd also like to see him utilize Pierce's hard running style in between the tackles more than trying to shoot Rice in there. smh! Rice needs to be used on sweeps, tosses and pitches. get that man out in open space. also, get our 2 TEs more involved in the passing game over the middle and in the redzone. there's a whole lot that i would do differently based upon the Ravens personnel but since i'm not the O.C. of the "real" Ravens...i'll just continue to run them the right way on Madden13. LOL!!!

~Mili

Edited by Militant X 1, 07 January 2013 - 10:41 AM.

Militant X 1

RayLewisSig1_zps3a0863e0.png

"I don’t care about the opponent. They’re nameless, gray faces!"

- Mike Tomlin

#14 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

At the risk of turning this into yet another Flacco thread, that is one of the things that seperates Flacco from the greats. Guys like Brees and Rodgers and Brady etc, part of their success relies on the fact that they can make questionable throws into coverage knowing that they have guys who can go up and fight for a ball. Flacco doesn't have that (other than Boldin once in a while), but it's not like he has the option of not trusting his recievers.

That's true I know but these were in the first half and I think he (at least twice) was more trying to force the play. Torrey is definitely getting better at fighting for the ball and I hope that's a trend that continues.

Joe flacco picked up a fumbled ball off the ground like he just dropped the newspaper on the sidewalk by accident and flung it across the street square into the neighbor's open mailbox while being attacked by pit bulls on steroids - a Panther's fan

#15 dirtybird10

dirtybird10

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

I agree, but I will say we saw a side of Torrey yesterday that we had not seen before. Torrey knocked away two balls that could have been intercepted. Though your absolutely right about the contested catches, Boldin did it, but we have seen him get the ball snatched right away from his face before. Yet you look at many highlights of the big passing offences and many plays are contested catches that the ball is just thrown up there for the receiver to make the play.

#16 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,997 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

I don't think Cam would have even put Doss into the game plan honestly. Remember, Doss is the number 4 WR. Where I do agree with you is, Rice. I don't think Cam would have given Peirce the opportunities Caldwell did.

Also the adjustments were huge as you say. Flacco gave a great breakdown to the offense when giving a post game interview to NFL Network. He said they were sitting on all the Ravens routes, so they started pushing the ball down field and thats what opened things up.

Caldwell seemingly came in thinking that the Colts would play off coverage and that away the deep ball. However the Colts played press coverage and took away most of the short routes. So Caldwell had to change things up and his timing was great imo. Once he started calling the plays intended to get down field. That opened things up and the Ravens were able to run the offense efficiently. The Ravens had 10 offensive drives in that game and scored on 4 of them. If not for Rice's fumbles it may have been 6 scores.

Also the Colts held the ball 15 minutes more then the Ravens, which says the Ravens took advantage of limited opportunities. I thought Caldwell called a great game and did a great job of scheming against Chuck's defense.

mj5v69.jpg

#17 jdynamite

jdynamite

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,082 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

It's difficult to say right now. First, Caldwell has definitely done a better job of mixing the playcalling and attacking different parts of the field ( the middle ) better than Cameron. Also Caldwell is using Cam Cameron's playbook and all the same plays to create his game plans so whose to say if Caldwell's playcalling couldn't be even better.
I like that he has used Torrey Smith with more slants, moved Boldin & Smith in the slot or in motion more often.

There are some nice OC out there. Norv Turner, Ken Wisenhunt , ( mike murlarkey might be soon fired from Jacksonville ).
I still think Hue Jackson or Zim horn should be candidates.

Even if they keep Caldwell I would like Hue Jackson or Zorn brought on as assistants, consultants , or Positonal coaches.

#18 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

. The Ravens had 10goo

I don't think Cam would have even put Doss into the game plan honestly. Remember, Doss is the number 4 WR. Where I do agree with you is, Rice. I don't think Cam would have given Peirce the opportunities Caldwell did.

Also the adjustments were huge as you say. Flacco gave a great breakdown to the offense when giving a post game interview to NFL Network. He said they were sitting on all the Ravens routes, so they started pushing the ball down field and thats what opened things up.

Caldwell seemingly came in thinking that the Colts would play off coverage and that away the deep ball. However the Colts played press coverage and took away most of the short routes. So Caldwell had to change things up and his timing was great imo. Once he started calling the plays intended to get down field. That opened things up and the Ravens were able to run the offense efficiently. The Ravens had 10 offensive drives in that game and scored on 4 of them. If not for Rice's fumbles it may have been 6 scores.

Also the Colts held the ball 15 minutes more then the Ravens, which says the Ravens took advantage of limited opportunities. I thought Caldwell called a great game and did a great job of scheming against Chuck's defense.

I agree 100%. It is the thing I've been screaming about Cam for years. He comes in with a certain mindset and if it worked we were golden. If the opposing defense shut it down though, Cam did not adjust. I'm pleased with Caldwell in that area. I'm also pleased with the way he is utilizing the players so far. Sure, Doss dropped 2 great opportunities, but he hasn't really had any playing time. Pierce has been awesome for us and I'm extremely pleased Caldwell has mixed it up in the running game so well. I used to panic in the first half if we weren't doing well, because I knew Cam did not know how to make good adjustments. With Caldwell I have that hope he will figure out another way to attack at half time.

#19 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

Caldwell is a keep; he made good adjustment and very good playcallings; remember this is still Cam's offense. Next year, he will add some of his offense on the book and Joe will look like a true elite....
2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#20 jdynamite

jdynamite

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,082 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Another thing is that Caldwell actually seems to have game plans. He has been doing playaction passes, bootlegs to move the pocket get the defenses thinking. Also he might have the WRs run a dig or an out route then on the next series the formation will be similar and the WR will do either the same route or use that route to make a double move to go deep.

Or like how yesterday on one of the Boldin bombs he lined Torrey Smith up inside to force the Safeties to focus on him to open up Boldins route over the top.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users