Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flaccopoe

Retire #52?!

#52   212 votes

1. 1. Should the Ravens Retire Lewis' Number?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

148 posts in this topic

Should the Baltimore Ravens retire Ray Lewis' number? The 16-year old franchise has never retired a number before. Ray Lewis has been with them from the beginning and led them to a Super Bowl win in the franchise's 4th season of existence, earning the Super Bowl MVP award. He has monumentally elevated the profile of a young, small-market team and is arguably the best linebacker ever. Keep in mind it's not guaranteed; the Cowboys and Raiders, 2 long and storied franchises, have never retired a number, in addition to several other young teams.

[quote name='Purple Nurple' timestamp='1357523058' post='1295754']
This is a silly poll, man. Of course they should....and will.
[/quote]

Several storied teams have never retired players. The Cowboys and Raiders, most notably.

[quote name='flaccopoe' timestamp='1357523012' post='1295751']
[b]Should the Baltimore Ravens retire Ray Lewis' number? [/b]The 16-year old franchise has never retired a number before. Ray Lewis has been with them from the beginning and led them to a Super Bowl win in the franchise's 4th season of existence, earning the Super Bowl MVP award. He has monumentally elevated the profile of a young, small-market team and is arguably the best linebacker ever.
[/quote]

what do you think brah? lol!

~Mili

I'm usually against retiring of numbers but Ray Lewis deserves more than his name in the ROH. Because of his tenure and what he has meant not only to the Ravens but to people around the city seeing another Raven in a 52 jersey just wouldn't feel right.

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]No way do they let anyone else touch this number. No way.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]If they do, that young buck better be in the league for a few years proving he can fill those damn shoes![/i][/font]

[quote name='Militant X 1' timestamp='1357523284' post='1295769']
what do you think brah? lol!

~Mili
[/quote]

That's what I'm asking! As displayname reminded me, the [i]Cowboys, Raiders[/i], Jaguars, Jaguars and Texans have never done it, either!

Even if #52 is never officially retired, it won't be in circulation, much like JO's #75 or OJ's #57.

I've always been strongly against retiring numbers, but in the case of # 52, it needs to be retired.

Yes. #52 should always be exclusively associated with Ray Lewis.

Of course. Only fitting that he is the first retired number. Since the very beginning no one but Ray has had the number 52, and that should never change.

It's really hard to say a franchise so young should retire a number, but at the same time, how can you not? 52 and 75 started this franchise, and deserve to be retired.

It's always been retired in my mind. Because every year on madden when Ray goes I never allow anyone to wear it, if they drafted with the number or sign with the number I change it.

[quote name='flaccopoe' timestamp='1357523243' post='1295767']

Several storied teams have never retired players. The Cowboys and Raiders, most notably.
[/quote]

We are the Ravens. Your argument is irrelevant.

Not to insult the original poster, but why is this even a question? Even if they didn't do it officially, no rookie is likely to have the guts to even try to take that number and no vet woud let him. Ravens personnel would probably be unlikely to do anything like that either, I bet.

[quote name='flaccopoe' timestamp='1357523637' post='1295797']
That's what I'm asking! As displayname reminded me, the [i]Cowboys, Raiders[/i], Jaguars, Jaguars and Texans have never done it, either!
[/quote]
They never had Ray Lewis.

[quote name='darklight1216' timestamp='1357524412' post='1295837']
Not to insult the original poster, but why is this even a question? Even if they didn't do it officially, no rookie is likely to have the guts to even try to take that number and no vet woud let him. Ravens personnel would probably be unlikely to do anything like that either, I bet.

They never had Ray Lewis.
[/quote]

It was a legitimate question! The Cowboys and Raiders have been blessed with some of the greatest football players of all time, yet they've never retired a number.

Who wears 75 on our roster? That should answer your question of should we and will we retire 52.

I love how I could tell who created the thread just by its title. lol

On topic: A ridiculous poll to make. I picked 'Show results' 'cause 'Yes' was just too obvious of a choice.