143 replies to this topic

#1 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

I think this ends the conversation of letting Boldin go leaving Doss as his successor. Doss showed today that he is more hype than anything. All I ever hear is how good his hands are and then he drops 3 in a row. Boldin on the other hand, sets a Ravens post-season franchise record making extremely tough grabs.

I have said it all year but we need Boldin back.

2yno6dx.png

#2 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,724 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

At a restructured price yes. Can't pay 6mil for a guy who hasn't gone over 1,000.

Having said that I for one believe it is imperative we do restructure and re-sign him.

#3 jimmypowder

jimmypowder

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

Tandon was horrific today . I was getting really disgusted with him .

#4 Bravens292

Bravens292

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

i'm all for restructuring Boldin. Boldin leaving won't be like Ray's departure, but it will be a very sad day as well. When i think of playing like a Raven, Boldin is the first to come to mind. on the other hand, I never liked Doss. I'm more excited about Deonte, Streeter, and Laquan than him.
"Thats what white guys do when they're excited" - Joe Flacco

#5 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,961 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

I really thought Doss would show progression this season, but instead regression. He's still very young, and it was only 1 bad game really. But I truely believe Q is essential to our success in the passing game, and for Joes sake it's crucial to have him back next year if we don't plan on replacing him with someone else whos better. He shouldn't get paid 6 mill though. He'll be in his 11th year next year, and 33.

Edited by Ravens<3, 06 January 2013 - 05:26 PM.

2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#6 BenMir

BenMir

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

At a restructured price yes. Can't pay 6mil for a guy who hasn't gone over 1,000.

Having said that I for one believe it is imperative we do restructure and re-sign him.

He would've reached 1000 this season if he had to play in the finale. Would've gotten it last season as well had he not needed the surgery.
And that's when he was being misused by Cam. With Caldwell, who knows?

Don't get me wrong, 6 mil is too much, but you have to keep in mind that it's not an "oh he hasn't gotten to 1k, he does nothing on field" situation.

#7 Ngata Chance

Ngata Chance

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

I had been so high on Doss.

Come on, man! What was that???
"Flacco got a hug from owner Bisciotti after game.. Flacco told him: “that felt good.. That was big”

That seems like it was worded wrong...

#8 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,235 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

Well Boldin has been starting for a decade while Doss barely sees any PT, but no question Boldin is the far better receiver. If we're talking about his production, he played one game under Caldwell's system in the regular season and came up with 7 catches for 93 yards. The problem has been in games like Philadelphia, San Diego, and Houston this year where he's disappeared - but I think a lot of that has to do with scheme as much as anything else. Caldwell seems to know how to use him better than Cam ever did.

#9 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,401 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

I'm a big Doss fan, but I can admit he had a rough game today. I don't think we can write the guy off for one bad game though. Every receiver has a bad game here and there. If this becomes a constant problem, then we have an issue.

I've also been a proponent of letting Boldin go, mainly due to his salary. Today showed me that a 1-2 year extension may be in order. He came up in the clutch. I don't think we can continue to have him as an every down player, but a 3rd receiver type of guy for a year or two longer would be nice.

#10 frank21054

frank21054

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

We cannot afford to let Boldin go. His numbers have been suppressed by either the offensive system or the QB inconsistency which some say is directly related to the offensive system. We cannot afford to pay him $6 million but look at what he had done today. No Boldin we may not win the game.

#11 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,724 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

He would've reached 1000 this season if he had to play in the finale. Would've gotten it last season as well had he not needed the surgery.
And that's when he was being misused by Cam. With Caldwell, who knows?

Don't get me wrong, 6 mil is too much, but you have to keep in mind that it's not an "oh he hasn't gotten to 1k, he does nothing on field" situation.

Well I didnt say he does nothing on the field but people complain Ray and Ed get too much a year and Ngata isnt worth what he gets. Those are guys who go to the Pro Bowl each year, usually as starters, with the stats to back them up. Boldin doesn't have close to 6mil a year stats as a WR.

Again though, when its time to show up Boldin does. That alone is worth restructuring. He ALWAYS shows up in the Pitt games and in the playoffs.

Edited by Bltravens, 06 January 2013 - 05:37 PM.

#12 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

Horrendous. 4 drops today.

Time to drop him and bring in streeter to mix him in with jacoby for #3 next season

Next week, David Reed replaces tandon the slow-butterhand

Edited by Ravenseconbeast, 06 January 2013 - 05:40 PM.

#13 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

I'm a big Doss fan, but I can admit he had a rough game today. I don't think we can write the guy off for one bad game though. Every receiver has a bad game here and there. If this becomes a constant problem, then we have an issue.

I've also been a proponent of letting Boldin go, mainly due to his salary. Today showed me that a 1-2 year extension may be in order. He came up in the clutch. I don't think we can continue to have him as an every down player, but a 3rd receiver type of guy for a year or two longer would be nice.

I'm not writing the guy off but his issues today were fundamental. His best attribute was his hands and he showed today that they were overrated. Everyone has a bad game but TRHEE (maybe four) drops? That's not a coincidence. He has had more drops throughout the season. It's more about him supposedly replacing Boldin.

Boldin is a physical receiver with great hands. He has had his share of drops but he shows up in big games and makes big catches. He also is the guy who can get off press while Torrey struggled with that today. Torrey had a great day but he was largely supressed by Vontae Davis since he couldn't get off press very well.

Edited by dhstandard, 06 January 2013 - 05:46 PM.

2yno6dx.png

#14 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,385 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

Considering Boldin's best day and Doss's worst day came at the same time, it's easy to say that. We should keep Boldin if at all possible, but Doss is still new to the team. Remember Boldin struggled with drops when he first came here? Joe throws a hard ball and all of our receivers have struggled with drops the first time they play here.

#15 RavensAllTheWay

RavensAllTheWay

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

I still like Doss as potentially a future no. 3, but for right now Boldin is still the guy.

#16 jimmypowder

jimmypowder

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Boldin has much stronger hands then Doss thus can make tougher catches . This
Is the bottom line.

#17 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,358 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

Considering Boldin's best day and Doss's worst day came at the same time, it's easy to say that. We should keep Boldin if at all possible, but Doss is still new to the team. Remember Boldin struggled with drops when he first came here? Joe throws a hard ball and all of our receivers have struggled with drops the first time they play here.

Eh, Boldin has had many great games and is money in the clutch situations. The only disappointment was a couple of years ago against the patsies.

I don't think Tandon is done, but getting Boldin back is key. Doss is not his replacement, at least for next year.

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#18 Hardbaugh

Hardbaugh

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

I believe Doss has very good potential and really good hands despite his showing today. When the quarterback is consitently late going through his progressions and/or late throwing the ball Doss just doesn't seem to have the strength advantage like Bolding and Smith. I always laughed at the people that stated cut Boldin but are consistently in the overpay Flacco camp.

A case could be made for loving the one you're with. Heck Boller had supporters well past his shelf life. The facts are Flacco's best if used by date has just about run out and he needs to step it up instead of needing recievers to bail him out. I can't count how many drops Lucks recievers had today , but you saw the potential in crisp throws. Boldin had to consistently fight for the ball , just like Torrie, just like Jones.

Edited by Hardbaugh, 06 January 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#19 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,148 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

Horrendous. 4 drops today.

Time to drop him and bring in streeter to mix him in with jacoby for #3 next season

Next week, David Reed replaces tandon the slow-butterhand

Doss only had 3 drops and they were all semi-tough plays (but that is no excuse).

Mt. Crushmore always makes about a million posts in a minute.

I'd like to introduce myself. Mt. Crushmore, Correction Officer.

Twitter

#20 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,980 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

I believe Doss has very good potential and really good hands despite his showing today. When the quarterback is consitently late going through his progressions and/or late throwing the ball Doss just doesn't seem to have the strength advantage like Bolding and Smith. I always laughed at the people that stated cut Boldin but are consistently in the overpay Flacco camp.

A case could be made for loving the one you're with. Heck Boller had supporters well past his shelf life. The facts are Flacco's best if used by date has just about run out and he needs to step it up instead of needing recievers to bail him out. I can't count how many drops Lucks recievers had today , but you saw the potential in crisp throws. Boldin had to consistently fight for the ball , just like Torrie, just like Jones.

You're right. Lucks pass to Cary Williams was a beauty. Too bad some other Raven players kept dropping those fine Luck passes.

Edited by PolishRifle, 06 January 2013 - 06:51 PM.

bJNF689.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users