Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dhstandard

Doss vs Boldin

146 posts in this topic

I think this ends the conversation of letting Boldin go leaving Doss as his successor. Doss showed today that he is more hype than anything. All I ever hear is how good his hands are and then he drops 3 in a row. Boldin on the other hand, sets a Ravens post-season franchise record making extremely tough grabs.

I have said it all year but we need Boldin back.

At a restructured price yes. Can't pay 6mil for a guy who hasn't gone over 1,000.

Having said that I for one believe it is imperative we do restructure and re-sign him.

i'm all for restructuring Boldin. Boldin leaving won't be like Ray's departure, but it will be a very sad day as well. When i think of playing like a Raven, Boldin is the first to come to mind. on the other hand, I never liked Doss. I'm more excited about Deonte, Streeter, and Laquan than him.

I really thought Doss would show progression this season, but instead regression. He's still very young, and it was only 1 bad game really. But I truely believe Q is essential to our success in the passing game, and for Joes sake it's crucial to have him back next year if we don't plan on replacing him with someone else whos better. He shouldn't get paid 6 mill though. He'll be in his 11th year next year, and 33.

[quote name='Bltravens' timestamp='1357510736' post='1295065']
At a restructured price yes. Can't pay 6mil for a guy who hasn't gone over 1,000.

Having said that I for one believe it is imperative we do restructure and re-sign him.
[/quote]
He would've reached 1000 this season if he had to play in the finale. Would've gotten it last season as well had he not needed the surgery.
And that's when he was being misused by Cam. With Caldwell, who knows?

Don't get me wrong, 6 mil is too much, but you have to keep in mind that it's not an "oh he hasn't gotten to 1k, he does nothing on field" situation.

Well Boldin has been starting for a decade while Doss barely sees any PT, but no question Boldin is the far better receiver. If we're talking about his production, he played one game under Caldwell's system in the regular season and came up with 7 catches for 93 yards. The problem has been in games like Philadelphia, San Diego, and Houston this year where he's disappeared - but I think a lot of that has to do with scheme as much as anything else. Caldwell seems to know how to use him better than Cam ever did.

I'm a big Doss fan, but I can admit he had a rough game today. I don't think we can write the guy off for one bad game though. Every receiver has a bad game here and there. If this becomes a constant problem, then we have an issue.

I've also been a proponent of letting Boldin go, mainly due to his salary. Today showed me that a 1-2 year extension may be in order. He came up in the clutch. I don't think we can continue to have him as an every down player, but a 3rd receiver type of guy for a year or two longer would be nice.

We cannot afford to let Boldin go. His numbers have been suppressed by either the offensive system or the QB inconsistency which some say is directly related to the offensive system. We cannot afford to pay him $6 million but look at what he had done today. No Boldin we may not win the game.

[quote name='BenMir' timestamp='1357511238' post='1295104']
He would've reached 1000 this season if he had to play in the finale. Would've gotten it last season as well had he not needed the surgery.
And that's when he was being misused by Cam. With Caldwell, who knows?

Don't get me wrong, 6 mil is too much, but you have to keep in mind that it's not an "oh he hasn't gotten to 1k, he does nothing on field" situation.
[/quote]
Well I didnt say he does nothing on the field but people complain Ray and Ed get too much a year and Ngata isnt worth what he gets. Those are guys who go to the Pro Bowl each year, usually as starters, with the stats to back them up. Boldin doesn't have close to 6mil a year stats as a WR.

Again though, when its time to show up Boldin does. That alone is worth restructuring. He ALWAYS shows up in the Pitt games and in the playoffs.

Horrendous. 4 drops today.

Time to drop him and bring in streeter to mix him in with jacoby for #3 next season

Next week, David Reed replaces tandon the slow-butterhand

[quote name='rmw10' timestamp='1357511545' post='1295123']
I'm a big Doss fan, but I can admit he had a rough game today. I don't think we can write the guy off for one bad game though. Every receiver has a bad game here and there. If this becomes a constant problem, then we have an issue.

I've also been a proponent of letting Boldin go, mainly due to his salary. Today showed me that a 1-2 year extension may be in order. He came up in the clutch. I don't think we can continue to have him as an every down player, but a 3rd receiver type of guy for a year or two longer would be nice.
[/quote]

I'm not writing the guy off but his issues today were fundamental. His best attribute was his hands and he showed today that they were overrated. Everyone has a bad game but TRHEE (maybe four) drops? That's not a coincidence. He has had more drops throughout the season. It's more about him supposedly replacing Boldin.

Boldin is a physical receiver with great hands. He has had his share of drops but he shows up in big games and makes big catches. He also is the guy who can get off press while Torrey struggled with that today. Torrey had a great day but he was largely supressed by Vontae Davis since he couldn't get off press very well.

Considering Boldin's best day and Doss's worst day came at the same time, it's easy to say that. We should keep Boldin if at all possible, but Doss is still new to the team. Remember Boldin struggled with drops when he first came here? Joe throws a hard ball and all of our receivers have struggled with drops the first time they play here.

[quote name='hawkprey' timestamp='1357512647' post='1295186']
Considering Boldin's best day and Doss's worst day came at the same time, it's easy to say that. We should keep Boldin if at all possible, but Doss is still new to the team. Remember Boldin struggled with drops when he first came here? Joe throws a hard ball and all of our receivers have struggled with drops the first time they play here.
[/quote]

Eh, Boldin has had many great games and is money in the clutch situations. The only disappointment was a couple of years ago against the patsies.

I don't think Tandon is done, but getting Boldin back is key. Doss is not his replacement, at least for next year.

I believe Doss has very good potential and really good hands despite his showing today. When the quarterback is consitently late going through his progressions and/or late throwing the ball Doss just doesn't seem to have the strength advantage like Bolding and Smith. I always laughed at the people that stated cut Boldin but are consistently in the overpay Flacco camp.

A case could be made for loving the one you're with. Heck Boller had supporters well past his shelf life. The facts are Flacco's best if used by date has just about run out and he needs to step it up instead of needing recievers to bail him out. I can't count how many drops Lucks recievers had today , but you saw the potential in crisp throws. Boldin had to consistently fight for the ball , just like Torrie, just like Jones.

[quote name='Ravenseconbeast' timestamp='1357512002' post='1295148']
Horrendous. [b]4 drops today[/b].

Time to drop him and bring in streeter to mix him in with jacoby for #3 next season

[/quote]

Doss only had 3 drops and they were all semi-tough plays (but that is no excuse).

[quote name='Hardbaugh' timestamp='1357514908' post='1295311']
I believe Doss has very good potential and really good hands despite his showing today. When the quarterback is consitently late going through his progressions and/or late throwing the ball Doss just doesn't seem to have the strength advantage like Bolding and Smith. I always laughed at the people that stated cut Boldin but are consistently in the overpay Flacco camp.

A case could be made for loving the one you're with. Heck Boller had supporters well past his shelf life. The facts are Flacco's best if used by date has just about run out and he needs to step it up instead of needing recievers to bail him out. I can't [b]count how many drops Lucks recievers had today , but you saw the potential in crisp throws[/b]. Boldin had to consistently fight for the ball , just like Torrie, just like Jones.
[/quote]

You're right. Lucks pass to Cary Williams was a beauty. Too bad some other Raven players kept dropping those fine Luck passes.

I'll give Doss some more time. I would love to restructure/extend Anquan to a 2 year 8 mil deal. We save 2 mil next year and he gains an extra year at 4 mil.

I will say though, there do seem to be times when Q dissapears, but so does Torrey, Pitta and Rice...

[quote name='krrock10' timestamp='1357516377' post='1295391']
I'll give Doss some more time. I would love to restructure/extend Anquan to a 2 year 8 mil deal. We save 2 mil next year and he gains an extra year at 4 mil.

I will say though, there do seem to be times when Q dissapears, but so does Torrey, Pitta and Rice...
[/quote]

The FO has their work cut out for them with all those contract talks coming up.

[/quote]
I would put Thompson and LaQuan ahead of Reed and Streeter.

[quote name='cobrajet' timestamp='1357516708' post='1295407']

I would put Thompson and LaQuan ahead of Reed and Streeter.
[/quote]

I would put Thompson ahead of all of these guys including Doss
but he has been in Harbaugh's doghouse since his fumble .McKinnie
came out of the house today and generally played well unlike Oher
who was horrendous.

[/quote]

David Reed? Isn't that the guy that fumbled twice against the Seahawks and people were calling for his release right then and there? Now you want him to replace Doss, who missed out on 2 tough catches and another easier one. It just shows how perception changes. Next time Doss makes a tough catch people will like him again.

On to the topic. Boldin is clearly the superior receiver. He's been our most productive receiver all year and I don't believe anyone we have is ready to fill his shoes. Hopefully we can bring him back for a couple years without breaking the bank.

[quote name='jimmypowder' timestamp='1357516953' post='1295425']
I would put Thompson ahead of all of these guys including Doss
but he has been in Harbaugh's doghouse since his fumble .McKinnie
came out of the house today and generally played well unlike Oher
who was horrendous.
[/quote]

He's not in any doghouse. He was only activated for kickoffs but Jacoby Jones has clearly outplayed him for that spot. He's not developed enough to be activated every game.

Posted · Hidden by Moderator 3, January 7, 2013 - Squabble · Report post

[quote name='Hardbaugh' timestamp='1357514908' post='1295311']

A case could be made for loving the one you're with. Heck Boller had supporters well past his shelf life. The facts are Flacco's best if used by date has just about run out and he needs to step it up instead of needing recievers to bail him out. I can't count how many drops Lucks recievers had today , but you saw the potential in crisp throws. Boldin had to consistently fight for the ball , just like Torrie, just like Jones.
[/quote]
Your posts continue to add absolutely zero intelligent insight, so congrats on making my ignore list. You should be proud, it takes a lot to get there.

[quote name='dhstandard' timestamp='1357510662' post='1295063']
I think this ends the conversation of letting Boldin go leaving Doss as his successor. Doss showed today that he is more hype than anything. All I ever hear is how good his hands are and then he drops 3 in a row. Boldin on the other hand, sets a Ravens post-season franchise record making extremely tough grabs.

[/quote]

When we drafted Doss all we heard was about his great hands and route running, in training camp/pre season he showed the hands of stone.

Not gonna give up on a 2nd year player but we should see what we have from him by end of 2013.

I'm hoping Boldin agrees to a restructure, but I cant see him coming back for his full 6M salary. There are other FA WRs out there that are younger and potentially cheaper.

[quote name='dhstandard' timestamp='1357510662' post='1295063']
[b]I think this ends the conversation of letting Boldin go leaving Doss as his successor. [/b] Doss showed today that he is more hype than anything. All I ever hear is how good his hands are and then he drops 3 in a row. Boldin on the other hand, sets a Ravens post-season franchise record making extremely tough grabs.

[/quote]

this topic is and has always been a no-brainer to me and i didn't need this game to validate it. lol!

~Mili