Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bravensfan52

Browns will probably hire Chip Kelly

26 posts in this topic

Looks like the north just got real interesting

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2][background=rgb(223, 223, 223)]ESPNCleveland[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2][background=rgb(223, 223, 223)]Chip Kelly is likely to be named the #Browns next head coach, barring a last-second change of heart [/background][/size][/font][/color][url="http://t.co/sgTQ2M6E"]http://t.co/sgTQ2M6E[/url]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2][background=rgb(223, 223, 223)]1/4/13 5:59 PM[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2][background=rgb(223, 223, 223)]RapSheet[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2][background=rgb(223, 223, 223)]BREAKING: Chip Kelly is close to a deal to become the #Browns coach, according to a source informed of his situation.[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2][background=rgb(223, 223, 223)]1/4/13 5:59 PM[/background][/size][/font][/color]

goodness gracious... The Browns are really trying to compete lol. Idk how Trent will fit within his kind of system though

[quote name='CalvinSmoke' timestamp='1357340984' post='1289677']
goodness gracious... The Browns are really trying to compete lol. Idk how Trent will fit within his kind of system though
[/quote]

I thought the same thing. If the can get Kelly Off in set up in the next 3 years the north might be in trouble. They are likely going to run system close to what the pats run.

I'm not worried, on the contrary, I'm quite relieved. Having watched a lot of Oregon games, I disagree with the notion that Chip Kelly does anything mind-blowing on offense. While he does use a lot of good concepts, plenty of teams use those same concepts (notably the Pats). When his offense goes up against a notable defense, his teams have fallen short on numerous occasions and I'm not talking about against Auburn. The main difference to me is the pace at they run, and that's not going to work in the NFL. The salary cap and long schedule will prevent it, it's not possible to have depth effective enough to run it, at least not on a consistent basis. On top of that, Cleveland lacks the personnel on offense to really make much of a difference. Seriously, we're not going to be scared of Old Man Weeden, are we?

And it's still Cleveland. If any organization/city/team could put the brakes on an over-hyped coach it's that one.

With them bringing in Chip I'm that much more relieved they didn't pony up to get RG3. They should at least be fun to watch next year.

[quote name='flaccopoe' timestamp='1357342866' post='1289724']
Looking forward to seeing brownsfan's reaction.
[/quote]

What's the over under on the amount of time Browns' fans in general start saying they're Super Bowl favorites next year?

[quote name='T3hRaven' timestamp='1357342988' post='1289727']
What's the over under on the amount of time Browns' fans in general start saying they're Super Bowl favorites next year?
[/quote]

With Trent Richardson and the declining Steelers, it might be sooner than you would think.

[quote name='flaccopoe' timestamp='1357343438' post='1289740']
With Trent Richardson and the declining Steelers, it might be sooner than you would think.
[/quote]

There's still both the Ravens and the Bengals to overcome. And until they get a real QB, they're not contenders in today's league. Richardson isn't going to carry them to a title.

If Chip Kelly works out in Cleveland then the Browns could actually become dangerous. Their defense is already pretty good, as is their offensive line. Trent Richardson carried their offense for practically the entire season with broken ribs. I don't know about Weeden, but with a good draft this year the Browns could do some damage...

I like more competition. Makes division games more interesting. If your the best team you will beat them. The Steelers are on their way out. Big Ben is crumbling and their top players are declining while their drafts have been sub-par as of late. Add in their impending cap crisis from restructured deals for guys who aren't even playing that well anymore and well see this team implode.

The Browns still have major holes and a single head coach isn't going to change that around.

Not sure what to make of this. Should a Cleveland Browns fan be happy about this? Well, why wouldn't one of their fans not be optimistic about Kelly's hiring, seeing Cleveland fans haven't had anything to be happy about in the longest time.

However, right-off-the-bat, just a mere one year after last season's NFL Draft, Brandon Weeden and possibly even Trent Richardson have essentially become wasted picks. Okay, yeah; it is easy to make fun of the Browns selecting a 28-year old Weedon, but despite making rookie mistakes, he actually showed some promise and was able to hold his own, especially later in the season. But, now? I'm pretty sure Brandon Weeden isn't the [i]right [/i]guy to run Chip Kelly's spread offense. In retrospect, Cleveland should of used their 22nd pick, from last year, on an offensive lineman, which would be key in Kelly's system. Oh, well; Weeden is only one year into his NFL career and the Browns are (most likely) to be done with him, already.

As for Trent Richardson, I just don't know. Richardson is a beast and full of potential, but a power running back doesn't necessarily fit right into a spread offense. It's going to be real interesting to see how Chip Kelly will use him. Also, as for the Cleveland Browns wide receiver, the corp of guys is a mess, sans what Josh Gordon showed, this past season. Greg Little is just suffers from butterfingers.

I know how Chip Kelly said he wasn't "married" to the spread system, but i expect him to continue to use it in the pros. Will it work? That's to be determined. Although, the pros is a whole, other level and that "gimmicky" success, Kelly had at Oregon with the spread, won't work in the NFL; the defenders are faster and smarter. It's really embarrassing how [i]bad [/i]the Cleveland Browns have been since 1999. Way too many coaching changes and, ridiculously, even more quarterbacks started. Hiring Chip Kelly can be considered as a radical move, but, when things have been [i]so [/i]bad, for [i]so[/i] long, I guess the Browns really needed a reboot...

[quote name='bravensfan52' timestamp='1357340653' post='1289672']
Looks like the north just got real interesting

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2][background=rgb(223, 223, 223)]ESPNCleveland[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2][background=rgb(223, 223, 223)]Chip Kelly is likely to be named the #Browns next head coach, barring a last-second change of heart [/background][/size][/font][/color][url="http://t.co/sgTQ2M6E"]http://t.co/sgTQ2M6E[/url]
I just don't think the browns have the right personnel for chip Kelly's system, I feel like Kelly would have a better chance of succeeding with another team

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2][background=rgb(223, 223, 223)]RapSheet[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2][background=rgb(223, 223, 223)]BREAKING: Chip Kelly is close to a deal to become the #Browns coach, according to a source informed of his situation.[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

I hate this. Chip Kelly is going to be the next genius NFL head coach.

Great move by the Browns, but their offense is going to have a completely different look next season.

can't see chip being able to right the ship. he was an above-average coach of a talented team that plays 3 or 4 decent games a year. i have nothing against oregon, i just think that as of late they've been almost as overrated as USC. Even worse, when chip recruited out west he would recruit people specifically to fit his scheme. cue rebuild mode, cleveland!

It's going to be a tough fight for second place between the Bengals, Browns and Steelers in the AFC North. That's certain.

Kelly doesn't have even close to the weapons he needs to run his style of offense with the Browns. Its going to be a disgusting mess and he'll probably forget to give Richardson 20 carries a game, which is what he and that offense needs to be successful.

I had a feeling Chip Kelly wouldn't be leaving Oregon for Cleveland. Philly has a chance though.

[quote name='T3hRaven' timestamp='1357492580' post='1291710']
I had a feeling Chip Kelly wouldn't be leaving Oregon for Cleveland. Philly has a chance though.
[/quote]

It was just announced Kelly isn't going to Cleveland. ;)

Per Adam Scheffter Chip Kelly has officially opted to stay with the Oregon Ducks in 2013. Hes sort of becoming a coach K. time to go to the big leagues already! haha

[quote name='Purple_ICE 81' timestamp='1357540148' post='1296311']
Per Adam Scheffter Chip Kelly has officially opted to stay with the Oregon Ducks in 2013. Hes sort of becoming a coach K. time to go to the big leagues already! haha
[/quote]

He will come to the NFL eventually. It doesn't make any sense for him to leave though, considering he still has at least two more years with Mariota and should be in contention for a National Title for many years to come. If Kansas State and them didn't drop a game, Oregon would have got it this year and we'd probably see Kelly on the sidelines in the NFL.

So much for that! He has a huge job in his hands, trying to resuscitate the Eagles,, who play in one of the most competitive divisions... [img]http://content.boards.baltimoreravens.com/public/style_emoticons/default/empty%20trophy%20case.gif[/img]