Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Can Dannell Ellerbe Take Over For Ray Lewis Long-Term?

81 posts in this topic

Teammate Paul Kruger said Ellerbe is the 'perfect guy' for the opening ILB job.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Can-Dannell-Ellerbe-Take-Over-For-Ray-Lewis-Long-Term/551edcf4-525e-423e-891a-f92086340dec]View the full article[/url]

Give the money freed from Ray's contract to him, if its possible that is. We have to sign Joe too. It just might be over for Reed with someone like Omar Brown and Christian Thompson in the picture. I would hope Ed retires instead of going to another team.

Ellerbeast! We need to keep him and pick up someone else for MCClain. McClain can be a back up. He is not a physical as Dannell and not fast enough. Bynes and Ellerbe would be amazing!

I think that Ellerbe is the favorite to start at the Mike position. We really need to draft at the ILB position in the 1st or 2nd round for the future. We found out last week that we really should have taken Burflict.

If we sign ellerbe(even though he is injury prone), then inside linebacker will be set. I believe Ozzie will free up massive cap space resulting in a scourge of older players past their playing days simiilar to 2011 with mason, heap, and kelly gregg.

Guys, IN OZZIE WE TRUST, he will get the job done.

Really hope J-Mac can recover from his neck injury. It would be very sad to see that end his career though with that type of injury it definitely seems like a strong possibility. If J-Mac is gone we're gonna have to sign Ellerbee, try to find some defensive steals in the second and later rounds, and rely heavily on our offense. Its not Ray Lewis' team anymore. This needs to be Flacco's team or we won't be successful.

Ellerbe is Good, not great he has Speed... and fundamentals to play the passing game well..

However he is injury Prone.
He could make a handful of future pro bowls if healthy, and we should resign him because he is the best option at MLB we have right now.

going to be hard to keep both Kruger and Ellerbe. Every team wants to poach our defensive players. Hopefully we can, after a Joe deal gets done. Cary is another CB we need to keep for the right price too. Problem is, dont think we have the money for all 3 if they all decide to play hardball with deals

ellerbe has stepped up this season but im not sold yet because of his inconsistent play of past years and injury issues the past few years. i wouldnt break the bank to resign him and we need to draft a few guys and give more reps to josh bynes.

i think resigning kruger is the bigger priority. he is becoming a beast and the sky is the limit with him

I like Ellerbe a lot. He has all the right tools and a great attitude. Still he's high risk with the constant injuries he has had.

this is the part i hate the most about the NFL.. you put all this time and money on these guys to learn our whole system here...for what?? to let them go to other teams to become our apposition.. Like Ellerbe, This guy is a obvious keeper !!! but all the money grubbing and the agents who misguide these young guys is just ruining this sport !! That's why i believe when all the ray lewis' are gone from this sport the NFL will slowly fade away and become a joke... They will probably be playing Flag Football by then and the most common injury will be a hangnail... Make no error,guys, This is a beginning of the End of a whole sports Era.....Pretty Scary, HUH !

I'm optimistic about Ellerbe doing a good job "replacing" Ray on the field. Well, maybe not the Ray Lewis at his best, but Ellerbe will be fine.

BTW, won't he be a free agent after the season?

bio

I think Ellerbe is def our best option. When he was healthy this season, or on the field for that matter, he was argubly our best defender. He has great speed, he is an excellent blitzer, and he can stop the run as well as play the pass well. I don't think we will have to break the bank either, cause he has only had one good season, and he is injury prone. So he probably won't get a lot of money anywhere else. I know he can take over for Ray, but we just have to keep him in a Ravens uniform.

Another thing, is kruger a FA? Cause we really need to retain him as well. He has played very well here of late, and with a healthy suggs, kruger will only get better.

Lewis retiring will give us a little extra money to spend as well i believe, so that will help. I have all faith in Ozzie to retain these guys, and i think our D willl rise again next season.

To be honest, I dont even wan to think about replacing Ray. I just want to enjoy the time we have left with him.

Also we could get Patrick Willis and he still wouldn't fully replace Ray Lewis. Hope people realize this. A Ray Lewis wont come around for another 20-30 years in all likely hood.

Ellerbe is too injury prone. If he stays for a reasonable price i would love to keep him around because he is solid when on the field. But draft a LB and see what is available in FA. Kruger is average. I would rather let him walk and pickup someone else like Kiwanuka.

Ellerbe can replace Lewis's current level of production for a few seasons, but for long term I think we need to draft a 1st round caliber ILB this spring.

I love Elerby but I do see a tren with his injuries. I'd love to have a "Healthy" Ellerby here but not sure what we would have to give up to keep him here in booth actual time played in 2013 and how much he would want to stay. We've gotten rid of better for less I think so I don;t know if he'll be here next year.

Ellerbee makes me nervous with his limited time on the field due to ijuries. Its kinda hard to count on a guy that tends to miss chunks of game time as substantial as he does, but we may not have much of a choice. We've got sooo many holes to fill.

He has great instincts and I've always said he was better than McClain, even when he was on the bench for 3 years. His problems are mainly his durability and tendency to avoid blockers when he needs to go through them, he also doesn't hustle on every single play.

[quote name='ravensdog86' timestamp='1357258132' post='1288515']
Ellerbe is Good, not great he has Speed... and fundamentals to play the passing game well..

However he is injury Prone.
He could make a handful of future pro bowls if healthy, and we should resign him because he is the best option at MLB we have right now.
[/quote]If our front office can give 50 million dollars to Webb who is always injured then im pretty sure they can work something out with Ellerbe. Unless they decide to get rid of our entire defense to over pay Flacco.

[quote name='Ravensanalyst' timestamp='1357253572' post='1288457']
Give the money freed from Ray's contract to him, if its possible that is. We have to sign Joe too. It just might be over for Reed with someone like Omar Brown and Christian Thompson in the picture. I would hope Ed retires instead of going to another team.
[/quote]Omar Brown and Christian Thompson are nowhere NEAR the same level as Ed Reed. If we do let Reed go then we'll probably sign a veteran FS which will be a huge blow to our defense. But im pretty sure Ed and Ozzie will work something out.

Now that Ray is retiring, Ed won't be far behind. If he doesn't retire this year, I doubt he'll be back as a Raven.

As far as Ellerbe goes, I like him, a lot. He misses some tackles he shouldn't but he plays well, and has good instincts. I was keeping an eye on him as much as possible in Cincinnati, though it was difficult with all the friggin Bengals fans standing up every 3 seconds, but he followed the plays fairly well, and seemed to read the offense decently. I can't wait to see how he does with more experience under his belt. I think he will be a good linebacker. Great? I don't know, but one thing I know for sure, he won't be a Ray Lewis type ILB.