Ravens at Steelers      Game Rewind      Pro Bowl Voting   

Photo

[News] Can Dannell Ellerbe Take Over For Ray Lewis Long-Term?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 BR News

BR News

Hall of Famer

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,623 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

Teammate Paul Kruger said Ellerbe is the 'perfect guy' for the opening ILB job.

View the full article

#2 Ravensanalyst

Ravensanalyst

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

Give the money freed from Ray's contract to him, if its possible that is. We have to sign Joe too. It just might be over for Reed with someone like Omar Brown and Christian Thompson in the picture. I would hope Ed retires instead of going to another team.

#3 TorryGundy

TorryGundy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Ellerbeast! We need to keep him and pick up someone else for MCClain. McClain can be a back up. He is not a physical as Dannell and not fast enough. Bynes and Ellerbe would be amazing!

#4 CapoRocky

CapoRocky

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

I think that Ellerbe is the favorite to start at the Mike position. We really need to draft at the ILB position in the 1st or 2nd round for the future. We found out last week that we really should have taken Burflict.

#5 Blacknpurpletilldeath

Blacknpurpletilldeath

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

Bynes really impressed me the few games he played, wasnt that like 14 tackles he had the one game?

#6 J.Flacco#5

J.Flacco#5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

Ellerbe is good enough for me.

#7 J.Flacco#5

J.Flacco#5

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

BUT, he won't replace the skill of Lewis.

Edited by J.Flacco#5, 03 January 2013 - 06:20 PM.

#8 BMORE_96

BMORE_96

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

If we sign ellerbe(even though he is injury prone), then inside linebacker will be set. I believe Ozzie will free up massive cap space resulting in a scourge of older players past their playing days simiilar to 2011 with mason, heap, and kelly gregg.

Guys, IN OZZIE WE TRUST, he will get the job done.

#9 awais.ashai

awais.ashai

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

Really hope J-Mac can recover from his neck injury. It would be very sad to see that end his career though with that type of injury it definitely seems like a strong possibility. If J-Mac is gone we're gonna have to sign Ellerbee, try to find some defensive steals in the second and later rounds, and rely heavily on our offense. Its not Ray Lewis' team anymore. This needs to be Flacco's team or we won't be successful.

#10 ravensdog86

ravensdog86

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

Ellerbe is Good, not great he has Speed... and fundamentals to play the passing game well..

However he is injury Prone.
He could make a handful of future pro bowls if healthy, and we should resign him because he is the best option at MLB we have right now.

Edited by Grapple Raven, 03 January 2013 - 09:33 PM.
Draft info edited out to remain on topic

#11 chevalier

chevalier

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

going to be hard to keep both Kruger and Ellerbe. Every team wants to poach our defensive players. Hopefully we can, after a Joe deal gets done. Cary is another CB we need to keep for the right price too. Problem is, dont think we have the money for all 3 if they all decide to play hardball with deals

#12 The Greek

The Greek

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

ellerbe has stepped up this season but im not sold yet because of his inconsistent play of past years and injury issues the past few years. i wouldnt break the bank to resign him and we need to draft a few guys and give more reps to josh bynes.

#13 CQ1

CQ1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

I like Ellerbe's progress to date !

#14 The Greek

The Greek

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

i think resigning kruger is the bigger priority. he is becoming a beast and the sky is the limit with him

#15 Valid1

Valid1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

I like Ellerbe a lot. He has all the right tools and a great attitude. Still he's high risk with the constant injuries he has had.

#16 TheRavenNest

TheRavenNest

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

this is the part i hate the most about the NFL.. you put all this time and money on these guys to learn our whole system here...for what?? to let them go to other teams to become our apposition.. Like Ellerbe, This guy is a obvious keeper !!! but all the money grubbing and the agents who misguide these young guys is just ruining this sport !! That's why i believe when all the ray lewis' are gone from this sport the NFL will slowly fade away and become a joke... They will probably be playing Flag Football by then and the most common injury will be a hangnail... Make no error,guys, This is a beginning of the End of a whole sports Era.....Pretty Scary, HUH !

#17 Fastfingers

Fastfingers

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

Give me the name of 1 person who can take over "long term" for Ray Lewis?

#18 bioLarzen

bioLarzen

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,316 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

I'm optimistic about Ellerbe doing a good job "replacing" Ray on the field. Well, maybe not the Ray Lewis at his best, but Ellerbe will be fine.

BTW, won't he be a free agent after the season?

bio

#19 J.O.14

J.O.14

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

I think Ellerbe is def our best option. When he was healthy this season, or on the field for that matter, he was argubly our best defender. He has great speed, he is an excellent blitzer, and he can stop the run as well as play the pass well. I don't think we will have to break the bank either, cause he has only had one good season, and he is injury prone. So he probably won't get a lot of money anywhere else. I know he can take over for Ray, but we just have to keep him in a Ravens uniform.

Another thing, is kruger a FA? Cause we really need to retain him as well. He has played very well here of late, and with a healthy suggs, kruger will only get better.

Lewis retiring will give us a little extra money to spend as well i believe, so that will help. I have all faith in Ozzie to retain these guys, and i think our D willl rise again next season.

#20 JakeNumber55

JakeNumber55

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

To be honest, I dont even wan to think about replacing Ray. I just want to enjoy the time we have left with him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users