26 replies to this topic

#1 Jasont505

Jasont505

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

As the title says this will be my 1st Ravens game I will be going to this weekend. I live in Albuquerque, NM and I have never been to Baltimore before. Seeing Ray Lewis play in person has always been something I've wanted to see before he hangs em up. I was planning on going up there next year vs Pittsburgh, but with Rays announcement yesterday has kinda sped up my plans. I'm making this a quick trip flying up Saturday and coming home Sunday night. I just wanted to ask some of you local fans where are some great places to eat hang out and see not only in town but around M&T. I know I'm not gonna be able to see and do everything in just a few days, but maybe point me in the right direction to places to check out before I head home. Thanks for the help!

#2 theblackdog

theblackdog

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

My favorite food place to stop outside the stadium before the game is the vendor outside of Lot O (Ostend and Ridgely St.) that sells hotdogs and sausages for a really good price. Lot O itself is where you've got Dunkin Donuts and other vendors doing giveaways, kind of like a mini Ravens Walk.

The Ravens Walk itself before the game is worth checking out for a walkthrough since it's where a lot of the sponsors are, since it's your first game you want to head there. Make sure when you go inside the stadium that you're in your seat at least 15 minutes before kickoff so you can watch the player introductions and what will probably be the last time we see Ray Lewis dance on the field.

As for other places, there's always the Inner Harbor to visit. Do you have a car or are you using the light rail to get from the airport to the city?
Posted Image
Thanks to Kia Kaha for the sig!

#3 EricH

EricH

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

I posted this in another thread:
Strap a bookbag on your back, fill it with beer, and walk around. That is how I would take in my first game.
Mind you, some of the best tailgating takes place blocks from the stadium.
Try to find a place called the Firehouse. It is not a restaurant, but an actual firehouse. Fun time and really nice people!
That is where we used to tailgate before we got a spot.

The players enter the SE end of the stadium so you can hang out there and watch them arrive. You can also walk up to Camden Yards and watch the band get ready before they march in with the cheerleaders.

Oh, to be a Ravens' virgin! I'm envious! You are in for quite an experience!!!

*on a sidenote: I sold two of my tickets to a buddy who has never been to a Ravens game let alone any NFL game before. He goes to PSU games.
He didn't realize what a HUGE game he was going to see when I gave him the tickets last week. He siad he is shaking with excitement.
I told him that is nothing compared to how he is going to feel when the team runs out on the field with fireworks going off. Ray Lewis coming out at the end. And then the national anthem with Maceo Miller...whew...going to be bigger than life!

Edited by EricH, 03 January 2013 - 02:40 PM.

#4 Jasont505

Jasont505

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

That's awesome!!!!! I will definitely try and check all those places out! I thought about renting a car... but decided not to since its just gonna be a quick trip. I would if I were staying longer... How does the tailgating work up there? Is it kinda a free for all? Do you pay? Or does it just kinda depend on where I go?

#5 Moderator 2

Moderator 2

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,981 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

Ravens walk you pay, private tailgates you need to know someone-- some may let you walk up and join in others don't like people walking up mooching food and beer.
68f2a8.jpg

#6 Jasont505

Jasont505

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

That makes sense! I think just walking around and taking it all in will be a rush as it is. I just like trying and experiencing new things. I've never had crab cakes before so where better to try em than Baltimore!?! Any other dishes I should try?

#7 Nightman

Nightman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Ravens Walk is a good deal, the only drawback unless you won passes to sit in the VIP area is that there is no place to sit down, except on the curb. I plan to get there early myself to make sure I can get into the parking garage on W. Lombard Street and tailgate with some friends in Lot H. I plan to get there about 8:45 in the morning, the taligate lots open 5 hours before kickoff, if I'm right.

#8 Jasont505

Jasont505

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

That's awesome sounds like a blast! Its just gonna be nice to actually meet other Ravens fans ha ha. Here in New Mexico all the fans are either Denver, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Oakland and who ever so happens to win the super bowl... There are a lot of ban wagon jumpers around here...

#9 Moderator 2

Moderator 2

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,981 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Dress warmly in layers forcast is 40 with a 20% chance of precip. Make sure you take care of your hands and feet. Lots of times it gets quite breezy and it is raw this time of year. Also read what you can and can't take into the stadium, saves you having to ditch something nice or walking back to the hotel .
68f2a8.jpg

#10 Jasont505

Jasont505

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

Great call! good looking out!

#11 blackbird29

blackbird29

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

Have a good time and make sure you make alot of noise and cheer as loud as you can! M & T is a great stadium and you can feel the energy when the crowd gets into it! Enjoy yourself!

#12 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,864 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Awesome for you! Especially since this will be Ray's last game. Relax, enjoy and soak up the atmosphere!

Joe flacco picked up a fumbled ball off the ground like he just dropped the newspaper on the sidewalk by accident and flung it across the street square into the neighbor's open mailbox while being attacked by pit bulls on steroids - a Panther's fan

#13 BALTIMOREFLACCO

BALTIMOREFLACCO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,720 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

The Ravens walk is unreal, you gotta check it out even if you don't stay there to tailgate.

23mn1x.jpg

Thank god I was born a Texas Longhorn

Whiskey Sour GM

#14 EricH

EricH

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Still say check out the firehouse. That is a place where fans can hang out together. they usually have a band and everyone just stands around and has fun. A block over on Ostend there is usually a bar set up by the street with bar stools people hang out and 'socialize'. The tailgate goes faster than the game...trust me!

#15 Moderator 2

Moderator 2

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,981 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

I also suggest taking a cheap poncho with you they are 10 bucks in the stadium lol You can take in food not drink and they wand you going into the stadium . There are also apparel places set up outside the stadium where you can get some cool Tshirts , gloves hats cammo pants Stockholm and Ostend have a great one-- I got my Hey Diddle Diddle Ray Rice up the middle there lol these places are cash only so I am actually taking cash for a change-- hoping for a clearance sale. They also sell the big horns and noise makers the are NOT allowed in the stadium, don't waste your money.
For some reason they frown on plastic bags this year except for a gallon zip lock.
68f2a8.jpg

#16 Jasont505

Jasont505

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

I think I'm gonna swing by the fire house and check it out along with the Raven walk. Anybody mind if I swing by there tailgate? Not to mooch off your food or beer just to hang out shoot the breeze before the game. I just wanna take in the whole experience ya know?

#17 Nightman

Nightman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

I also suggest taking a cheap poncho with you they are 10 bucks in the stadium lol You can take in food not drink and they wand you going into the stadium . There are also apparel places set up outside the stadium where you can get some cool Tshirts , gloves hats cammo pants Stockholm and Ostend have a great one-- I got my Hey Diddle Diddle Ray Rice up the middle there lol these places are cash only so I am actually taking cash for a change-- hoping for a clearance sale. They also sell the big horns and noise makers the are NOT allowed in the stadium, don't waste your money.
For some reason they frown on plastic bags this year except for a gallon zip lock.

You can find ponchos even cheaper at the dollar store, I got a two pack for a buck. I suggest that you should also get a small bottle of hand sanitizer which is also sold at those places, because the porta potties outside the stadium don't have hand sanitizer. The weather may not be that bad on Sunday that you need a poncho, but the sanitizer is a must have.

#18 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,317 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

You are from New Mexico so let me reiterate.

ITS GOING TO BE COLD !!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont know if they even sell long johns in New Mexico, but you are going to want to wear long johns, a few pairs of socks, a heavy jacket and a cap.

A crab cake is a must have ( BTW its not a desert ) .
Either way, thanks for visiting our city. We are glad to have you. You picked the perfect game.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#19 Moderator 2

Moderator 2

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,981 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

Hot hands rule! I'm buying a case at BJS-- I buy most of my tailgating stadium stuff at Dollar Tree--its disposable.
I think it gets cold at night in New Mexico.

Here is the list of what you can and can't bring into the stadium
68f2a8.jpg

#20 theblackdog

theblackdog

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Hot hands rule! I'm buying a case at BJS-- I buy most of my tailgating stadium stuff at Dollar Tree--its disposable.
I think it gets cold at night in New Mexico.

Here is the list of what you can and can't bring into the stadium

Thanks for reminding me to check that, and oh boo that they revised their camera policy. I've brought in my SLR before without a problem, but I won't take chances this weekend.
Posted Image
Thanks to Kia Kaha for the sig!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users