1. Alec Ogletree ILB Georgia-Last year most mocks had us taking Donta Hightower or Vontaze Burfict, and a lot of people wanted a Ray Lewis successor. I think this is the year to do it after Lewis declared for retirement after the season.
Ogletree is in my opinion the second best ILB next to Manti Teo. Ogletree is s very athletic and dynamic player who is good in coverage and is a hard hitter. Mel Kiper and Todd Mcshay think he is a solid top 20-30 player and could go top 10. I think he will fall to the 20s and might be a trade up candidate. I really think we need to consider ILB with our first pick, and Teo will likely be gone in the first 10 picks so going with Ogletree would be solid.
2. Xavier Rhodes CB Florida State- Going into the 2012 season our secondary was very intact, however we will come out of it bruised and confused with a lot of questions. Will Lardarius Webb still play at a high level after his second knee tear? Will Jimmy Smith continue to be a liablitly both from injuries and lack of good play? And Cary williams is good some games, and others he plays awful.
I wouldnt be surprised to see another cornerback selection with our first round pick. Xavier Rhodes would be a solid selection. Rhodes reminds me of Nnamdi Asomugha back when he played for the raiders. Teams think twice when throwing his way and when they do he keeps most receivers without much. He is projected in the 20s and I think he would be a solid pick considering our questionable secondary.
3. Robert Woods WR USC- As Ozzie said before last years draft "you can never have too many wideouts", and we didnt do anything to add depth to our receiving corps besides getting inept WR Tommy Streeter. Anquan Boldin is nearing the end of his contract and is losing tread on his tires. Torrey is good, but then who? We have hopefuls in Jacoby Jones, Laquan Williams ho never really plays, and Deonte Thompson who had a promising pre season last year.
I would like to see the Ravens draft a young stud-looking receiver, one of the top prospects, someone who can make an impact next season. A top 5 receiver in this years draft and one of my favorite receivers is Robert Woods. He had an off year due to injuries and still played well at times. But in 2011 he was a monster not just production wise, but he looks like a very good candidate. He runs good routes, hes blazing fast (around 4.3/4.4), and he looks like he can produce at the next level. We would likely have to trade up for him but I honestly think it could be worth it.
People on here will say what they always say "they draft has decent receivers in rounds 3-4" well if you look at the Raven's hopes and dreams its to become a better passing offense. We need more receivers and we might as well grab a good one. Although I like Justin Hunter the best out of all the receivers this year, I think Woods is one of the more promising ones.
4. Dj Fluker OT Alabama- Ever since he was a freshman he looked destined for greatness just due to his physical nature. Last year he looked like a beast and I had us grabbing him with our first round pick, only to realize that he opted to stay another year. He still doesnt know whether he wants to enter the draft but all signs point to it. I watched the game he had against LSU and their mamoth pass rusher Barkevious Mingo (who will go top 5 or 10 this year), and for the most part FLuker kept him in his place, and some called it his best performance ever. Fuker looks like a solid pickup, and is projected to go in the 20s.
5. Sheldon Richardson DT Missouri- The Ravens used to be the hardest team to run on. The past few seasons our defense slowly declined and this year we allowed a lot of teams to take advantage of our poorous runD. Adding depth to the d-line could help, Richardson looks like a beast one of the best d-linemen in the class, and arguably the dontari poe of this years combine, hes very athletic and plays fast.
Just some thoughts I think the positions of most importance this offseason are 1. ILB 2.WR 3. OL 4. DL 5. DB. But theres still a chance that we will get the 32nd pick aka a superbowl championship so lets hope for the best.
Edited by Purple_ICE 81, 03 January 2013 - 05:56 AM.