Ravens Schedule Coming Wednesday!

The Ravens will announce their 2014 regular season schedule on Wednesday, April 23rd at 8:00 pm ET.
Close

Photo

How is the cap affected by Ray's retirement this offseason?

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

Bond, James Bond. 007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,610 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

What is the cap situation, how much space do we have with Ray gone? I want the actual number, I heard the we will have enough room to potentially sign a Jake Long, or a Dwayne Bowe, or DRC. I think we will get Joe the deal near identical to Shaub's deal, resign Ellerbe to a McClain esq deal, and resign Kruger. We are letting Cary walk, and probably cutting McKinnie and Williams. We also might cut Q

IF all the events were to happen who would we have room to get?

#2 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,370 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

I looked up the numbers for my first mock off-season, I'll find them again for you.

EDIT:

Got it. Ray Lewis is scheduled to make $7.3 million on that horrible contract Ozzie made for him. His retirement frees up $5.4 million in cap space, with the $1.9 million in guaranteed money still counting against the cap. If nothing else changes, not factoring in Flacco's contract, that puts us at a roughly $101 million cap number while not having enough for a full roster. I'll do some more math for your scenarios, hopefully it will distract me from this Florida debacle.

Edited by T3hRaven, 02 January 2013 - 09:39 PM.

#3 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,204 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

Save $4.35 million in 2013. I'm on my phone so don't have link but I posted it early on in the retirement thread.

Mt. Crushmore always makes about a million posts in a minute.

You no longer make a million posts a minute. You make a million trades a minute now....

Jacksonville Jaguars GM

Twitter

#4 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

Bond, James Bond. 007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,610 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

Save $4.35 million in 2013. I'm on my phone so don't have link but I posted it early on in the retirement thread.

I looked up the numbers for my first mock off-season, I'll find them again for you.

EDIT:

Got it. Ray Lewis is scheduled to make $7.3 million on that horrible contract Ozzie made for him. His retirement frees up $5.4 million in cap space, with the $1.9 million in guaranteed money still counting against the cap. If nothing else changes, not factoring in Flacco's contract, that puts us at a roughly $101 million cap number while not having enough for a full roster. I'll do some more math for your scenarios, hopefully it will distract me from this Florida debacle.

Thank you all! I think that we have enough to sign Joe to a HUGE contract and still get a Long, or a Bowe, or a Melton

#5 CosmicRedPanda

CosmicRedPanda

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,626 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

We don't need another high profile receiver. We've got three very talented, very capable receivers -- not to mention Pitta who is looking more and more like the beast that used to be HEEEEAAAAP!

Take that money and invest it in a Left Tackle -- preferable one whose entire skeletal system is made out of mimetic poly-alloy.

#6 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,370 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

Your numbers are incorrect. I just checked mine with a different source (rotoworld). $5.4 is the correct number that is freed up.

#7 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,204 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

Your numbers are incorrect. I just checked mine with a different source (rotoworld). $5.4 is the correct number that is freed up.

I'm just going off what I read and in the end it's not much of a difference. I hope it is $5.4 as that gives us more to work with.

You no longer make a million posts a minute. You make a million trades a minute now....

Jacksonville Jaguars GM

Twitter

#8 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

Bond, James Bond. 007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,610 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

We don't need another high profile receiver. We've got three very talented, very capable receivers -- not to mention Pitta who is looking more and more like the beast that used to be HEEEEAAAAP!

Take that money and invest it in a Left Tackle -- preferable one whose entire skeletal system is made out of mimetic poly-alloy.

IK, so sign Wolverine? IDK, that might get a tad expensive.

No good with the numbers, is it enough to get a Brandon Albert?

#9 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,746 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

See, I don't think Kruger returns. I like him and feel like he comes back before Williams but I think we roll the dice and let him walk. I think Ellerbe is more necessary than Kruger. I would personally rather sign a LT than Kruger. It would free us up in the draft big time. Pass rushers are also expensive.

I like Albert, but he might be tagged. If he does escape KC he is the kind of free agent Ozzie signs: a lesser-known guy, not the big-name. Ozzie won't go for Long.

#10 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,199 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

That ~4.5-5.0mill range sounds about the amount you would pay for both Kruger & Ellerbe.

Seems like it might work out for our FA's after all

#11 CosmicRedPanda

CosmicRedPanda

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,626 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

IK, so sign Wolverine? IDK, that might get a tad expensive.

Adamantium might be a little out of our price range. Although, that sounds like a cool name for a RB/FB in Madden: Adam Antium.

#12 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

Bond, James Bond. 007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,610 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

Adamantium might be a little out of our price range. Although, that sounds like a cool name for a RB/FB in Madden: Adam Antium.

He is 6'5, and runs a 4.2 30 at 250 pounds. BEST PLAYER EVER!

#13 bauer77

bauer77

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

I think Ellerbe will ask for more than McClain. I doubt cutting a few guys will get us Bowe or Long, not to mention, i don't really want Bowe. We don't need another high profile guy. Give our younger guys a chance.

Edited by bauer77, 02 January 2013 - 09:56 PM.

nb4yyq.jpg
If tomorrow wasn't promised, what would you give for today? - Ray Lewis
Twitter

#14 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,370 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

Thank you all! I think that we have enough to sign Joe to a HUGE contract and still get a Long, or a Bowe, or a Melton

First off, we're not signing Bowe or any other so called big name receiver. Second of all, no we don't in the current situation. Ellerbe is restricted I believe, so he's not going to be a big cap hit, but you're still dealing with roughly $24 million in cap space to work with as it stands, assuming an approximately $5 million cap increase like I did originally due to incoming TV deal money. That might not happen, and you could be working with closer to $20 million. At best, and this is not going to happen, Flacco takes half of that number. Now a Schaub type deal, which is definitely lower than Flacco is going to take, assuming I factored his bonuses in correctly, was about a $13 million cap hit, leaving $11 at best to fill the roster and sign the drat picks. More cuts will need to be made to sign a LT in free agency.

McKinnie is a free agent, so you can't cut him. Cutting Williams only frees up $1.2 million. To really get into play for a Jake Long, Boldin has to be cut to free up that $6 million. (EDIT: That's a best case scenario of about $31 million in cap space to play with before Flacco, for the record.)

It's certainly not impossible, I've proved that. It will take sacrifice, a lack of sentimentality (referring to Reed if he's foolish enough not to retire with Ray Lewis), and an aggressive approach to free agency that we've never really seen from Ozzie.

On a side note, who the heck thought it was a good idea to pay Jameel McClain $10.5 million dollars and dropping cap hits of over $4 million on the team in 2013 and 2014 for that guy? You might be able to argue to trust Ozzie in the draft, but when it comes to letting guys walk and not overpaying, or even getting contracts lined up, he leaves much to be desired.

Edited by T3hRaven, 02 January 2013 - 09:58 PM.

#15 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

Bond, James Bond. 007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,610 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

First off, we're not signing Bowe or any other so called big name receiver. Second of all, no we don't in the current situation. Ellerbe is restricted I believe, so he's not going to be a big cap hit, but you're still dealing with roughly $24 million in cap space to work with as it stands, assuming an approximately $5 million cap increase like I did originally due to incoming TV deal money. That might not happen, and you could be working with closer to $20 million. At best, and this is not going to happen, Flacco takes half of that number. Now a Schaub type deal, which is definitely lower than Flacco is going to take, assuming I factored his bonuses in correctly, was about a $13 million cap hit, leaving $11 at best to fill the roster and sign the drat picks. More cuts will need to be made to sign a LT in free agency.

McKinnie is a free agent, so you can't cut him. Cutting Williams only frees up $1.2 million. To really get into play for a Jake Long, Boldin has to be cut to free up that $6 million. (EDIT: That's a best case scenario of about $31 million in cap space to play with before Flacco, for the record.)

It's certainly not impossible, I've proved that. It will take sacrifice, a lack of sentimentality (referring to Reed if he's foolish enough not to retire with Ray Lewis), and an aggressive approach to free agency that we've never really seen from Ozzie.

On a side note, who the heck thought it was a good idea to pay Jameel McClain $10.5 million dollars and dropping cap hits of over $4 million on the team in 2013 and 2014 for that guy? You might be able to argue to trust Ozzie in the draft, but when it comes to letting guys walk and not overpaying, or even getting contracts lined up, he leaves much to be desired.

So no big name LT, or Albert, or anything....

Marcus McNeil?

Oz is one of the best in the NFL when it comes to drafting. IDK bout FA, but McNeil might be good pickup!

My point is we need a LT, anything but Oher, please! Other than LT, we can fill other needs in the draft!

#16 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,020 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

See, I don't think Kruger returns. I like him and feel like he comes back before Williams but I think we roll the dice and let him walk. I think Ellerbe is more necessary than Kruger. I would personally rather sign a LT than Kruger. It would free us up in the draft big time. Pass rushers are also expensive.

I like Albert, but he might be tagged. If he does escape KC he is the kind of free agent Ozzie signs: a lesser-known guy, not the big-name. Ozzie won't go for Long.

I disagree about Kruger. He might walk because he could get a lot of money after a break-out season, but he is a big part part of the defense. if we let him go our pass-rush could become one of the worst in the league. Other than Suggs who do we have? A bunch of OLBs that have never done anything in the league. If we keep him at a fair price we could have one of the best OLB tandems in the NFL. Kruger and Ellerbe have to be the top priorities in the offseason, after Flacco of course.

As to the discrepancy in cap room saved by Ray retiring, I believe it can be attributed to the dead money that will be left on the deal due to him retiring early. There was some signing bonus that would have been pro-rated over the course of the contract but with him retiring that money might at least partially (or wholly) go against next year's cap.

Hop on board the Draft Odell Beckham JR Bandwagon! Taking all comers! 

#17 JO_75

JO_75

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,895 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

This is just because of the Ed Reed thread, but how much more money would we save if Ed Reed also retired as well?

#18 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,204 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

I read on PFT that the cap was only going to go up about $400,000.

Jacksonville Jaguars GM

Twitter

#19 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

Bond, James Bond. 007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,610 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

This is just because of the Ed Reed thread, but how much more money would we save if Ed Reed also retired as well?

None, he is a FA anyway

#20 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,204 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

He is an FA so nothing I would think.

Jacksonville Jaguars GM

Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users