Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Ray Lewis Announces His Retirement

166 posts in this topic

This Sunday’s game could be Ray Lewis’ last after 17 years in the league.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ray-Lewis-Announces-His-Retirement/7404f99b-3d19-4b46-a3c8-78c8d28e9133]View the full article[/url]

My fiance is wondering why I'm getting emotional about Ray retiring? I told her, the Ravens are going to the super bowl baby.....if I feel the way I feel , just imagine how the players and coaches feeling right now....we may not win it but we're going!!

I felt a sinking in the pit of my stomach when I read the headline and tears are making this hard to type. I knew it would happen someday and this is probably the best time to annouce it, little more incentive, but its hard to hear.

A career that will be remembered. I hope he has some function within the organization going forward or at least is a frequent vistitor. He will be missed.

We knew it had to happen sometime, but it still seems too soon! Thank you for all the many great years, Ray! Baltimore is proud to be your football home - come back and visit. Now, before he goes, it's time to win 4more for B'more!

If I could get out on the field for this postseason and win one more SB for you Ray, I would.

Ray Lewis - 52
Forevermore

Sad day but a glad day too!

The "General" has fought the good fight and deserves his decision! I am happy that he can now move on with his stated desire to return to his high school Alma Mater in Florida and coach football and mentor young men!

His coaching and mentoring has been much appreciated here with the Ravens!

God Speed, Ray "Sugar" Lewis!!!

Anything less than full effort this Sunday from every player would be shocking. I feel like going out there and giving it full effort just after reading this and imagining myself in the locker room when it was announced.

Wow... what a great individual and will always be that Rolemodel for all young present and future ravens players and with that a rolemodel for all NFL players coming in, hes set the standard of being a raven and will always be a legend and future hall of famer 1st ballot without a doubt, hope this gives the team a morale boost to take it all the way just for Ray, you will be missed on the field Sugar Ray, hopefully he can be a coach with the ravens!

As difficult as it is to understand, I applaud him for realizing the right time to walk away from the game. Faith, family, football. He's given almost two decades to the NFL, and most of his life to football. Now it's time to fully invest, 100%, into an area of his life that means more to him than I'm sure football ever did; family and off the field work. Congratulations, Ray Lewis, you deserve to walk into the next phase of your life! :)

Even though we all knew is was coming soon, every true Ravens fan had a tear shed on the inside from this news. Shout out to the G.O.A.T, you will be immortalized in Baltimore!

52 Forever!

I know about Pagano's story. It is a worthy story, but we have our own stories. Let's not forget that we started this season with a tribute to the late Art Modell and are wearing an emblem on our jerseys in his honor. Now, we have the greatest ILB to ever play the game set to retire and we want him to go out on top.

I know no one else around the NFL is going to care, because both Modell and Lewis have long since been villains in this league and in the media. But it matters to us. Embrace the bad boy mentality. C'mon Ravens - get out and win it all this year - for Art, for Ray as well as for yourselves and for the city and fans who support you.

GO RAVENS!

Sad day in Baltimore, but we all knew it would happen. Let's just hope the team can get into New Orleans for his retirement party!

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]I got all excited when I saw the playoff video start on the homepage... watched it, loved it... little did I know it underneath was a deep, dark and nasty secret...[/font][/i]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]I love you, Sugar Ray... just not today... I'll love you again tomorrow after I've had a chance to digest this.[/font][/i]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Ugh... I need a drink.[/font][/i]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]And a PSA to the other 52-mighty-men on the roster; don't screw this up!![/i][/font][/i]

members of the steelers fanbase are reading these articles on this website...they must miss him already..

Thank you Big Ray for all the great football memories. You will be missed.

He made it much easier for the organization this way too, as they don't have to look like bad guys for asking him to take a paycut, reduce his role, or outright releasing him next season.

These boys better step up there game and realize what it means to play this game. Ray Lewis has set the stage and guys are going to have to come together and play for this trophy. Ray Lewis might be the only person who can give players the emotional power to go on a Superbowl run and I think he just did that.

Ray Lewis just deflated the Colts emotional ride or any other storyline for that matter. No Brady vs Manning, No Chuckstrong,No Nothing, It's all about the Ravens and if we can rally together to win this Lombardi.

Ray Lewis coming out of the tunnel this Sunday will be my Superbowl, just in case the other doesn't happen.

I loves me some 52. I'm going to miss him.

P.S. To my wife, if you're reading this, please don't get on me about anything today. Today is not the day :)

Well it sets up Perfect for an emotionally charged SB run/win now...

and 2....

Now more then ever is proof, OZZIE
Needs to Trade up and Get Manti Ta'io MLB ND as the Next great Ravens MLB

That guy plays like a Raven, and has potential junior seau, ray lewis hybrid

Perennial all pro in waiting

Had to come one day.

I guess this was the best decision, from any point of view. This way he can retire without his image getting any tarnish of a last season in diminished role - or a career ending in an injury.

I guess somewhere in Lousiana, Brett Favre is saying "yeah, that's what i should have done, too". Not to go back for one more season that made the end of my career a bit ridiculous and end in an injury."

Ray Lewis will have none of those. Just the shining part.

Canton guys, once the seson is over, you can visit him for measuring. And no worries: he'll look just the same when his time comes to don that jacket, no adjustments will be needed.

bio

Nooooooooo Ray!
It'll be wierd with no Ray Lewis on the roster.

Never gotten the chance to meet him, hope i do one day

You will be greatly missed, Mr. Lewis. We fans appreciate all you've done on and off the field.

Still, I can't believe it.

[quote name='ravensdog86' timestamp='1357150568' post='1286871']
Now more then ever is proof, OZZIE
Needs to Trade up and Get Manti Ta'io MLB ND as the Next great Ravens MLB
[/quote]

Ahhh, here we go again...

Do you have an approximate idea how many picks we should give for any top-10 - and probably even top-5 or top-8 - team to have any chance of picking him?

Here's the draft value chart, so you can figure it out: http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php

And I think you can start warming to the idea that we'll never sacrifice these many picks - not in 5 years, let alone the same draft.

bio

I had a feeling this was coming. When he didnt suit up last week. I knew he was saving himself for something GREAT. We are going to win the Super Bowl this year. The stars have aligned for it. Ray Lewis made me want to watch football. I feel obligated to find a way into the game Sunday.

I wish him all the best!!
RAVENS---WE NEED TO GO ALL THE WAY!! Especially for the Greatest of All Time!!

NOW is the time to give it everything we got. Not only for the team, but for #52 and the rest of Ravenstown. Ray, We will never ever forget these immortal words: "WHAT TIME IS IT?!! GAME TIME!!"

Ray, thank you!!!!! Thanks for bringing a championship to Baltimore. Hope you can get another one this year!

I'm thinking about the last real NFL-star who was drafted, rose to legendary status and retired with the same franchise, never once playing in another team's jersey...

bio

They need to make a DVD of his career highlights! I will wait a week in line to get it if they make it.

Ray thank you for the memories!! It was a priviledge and honor to watch you play the game you are so passionate about. God Bless you Ray Lewis a.k.a. G.O.A.T.!!!!!

Not only do we need to sweep the playoffs, but let's bring the AFC Championship game through Baltimore(which means Cincinnati take care of Houston and whoever you have in the divisional round: I want it to be against the Broncos). So, that Lewis can have 2 final playoff games at M&T Bank Stadium.

We have the media on our side now. Everybody was talking about the Colts and Chuckstrong, Payton vs Brady, RG3 vs Wilson,Power-Rankings. Now its all about Ray and how this team will respond and push for a Lombardi

I am deeply sadden over this news. I would just like to shake Ray's hand and tell him thank you, and I will miss seeing you on the field. Ray you're apart of the reason I become a Ravens fan so many years ago... We have both been heart broken by playoff losses through the years, now our time has come to a end. Its bittersweet, but good-bye old friend.

Well it's gonna be weird without number 52 they need to retire his number immediately

[quote name='12thmandynasty' timestamp='1357151207' post='1286906']
We have the media on our side now. Everybody was talking about the Colts and Chuckstrong, Payton vs Brady, RG3 vs Wilson,Power-Rankings. Now its all about Ray and how this team will respond and push for a Lombardi
[/quote] The media sucks