17th ranked D in the league

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Mr. Nobody_*

Guest_Mr. Nobody_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

I'm sorry but couldn't find any thread to cover this after the season ended thus created this.
We should pause a little bit from all these Joe - no-Joe - I want Tyrod discussions and look at where we developed a problem this year. I know we missed a lot of our starters for a good part of the regular season, but I still find that the D underperformed. Are we going to cover the gaps in the next draft? I really don't know. So let's see all the avenue this discussion could take us...

Edited by horus13corvineus, 02 January 2013 - 09:51 AM.

#2 raybaby

raybaby

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

They were also 12th in points. Considering all the injuries during a season with a new defensive coordinator I think we can except our defense to be at least top 10 next year. Granted hearing that Ed won't be back worries me because we really don't have someone to replace him.

#3 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,357 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

Like raybaby said: injuries, new DC, and some starters that didn't perform as well as we are used to (Kemoatu vs Redding) (2012 Cary vs 2011 Cary).

I don't think Pees is a bad coordinator, a little passive at times, but we got thumped hard by injuries. 17th, while not as good as we want, is a vast improvement from what we were at the beginning of the year.
a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#4 raybaby

raybaby

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

Patrick Gleason@PMGleason
Over the final 6 games of the season (since Week 12), the #Ravens defense allowed the NFL’s 4th-fewest yards per game (299.0)

This is a nice stat.

#5 JEEPercreepermd

JEEPercreepermd

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

I agree with the sentiment here. The defense has definitely tightened up pretty much since the SD game. The offense disappearing IMO in a few games lead to added pressure on the D which was banged up already.
Just think about it..
Our best Dlineman and OLB who are IMO the best in the league at their positions havent been 100lercent all year..Suggs missed 6 games. Our TOP 3 ILB's were/are still out, our shutdown CB is out, our SS has been down, add the fact that we have a new DC on top of that a
Oh and we've faced both Mannings, RG3, Brady,Schaub,Rivers,Dalton, and Romo this year. Pretty much a murderers row of opposing QB's..yet somehow we've managed to finish in the middle of the pack.
Early in the season, we were what 28th? This defense has actually gotten better later in the season..now we get.some key players back..we could be playing at a top 10 level once the playoffs start..
Now we just have to hope that the Offense we saw againt NYG is the same Offense we'll.see from here out
"Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it" - Steve Prefontaine

#6 raybaby

raybaby

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

I agree with the sentiment here. The defense has definitely tightened up pretty much since the SD game. The offense disappearing IMO in a few games lead to added pressure on the D which was banged up already.
Just think about it..
Our best Dlineman and OLB who are IMO the best in the league at their positions havent been 100lercent all year..Suggs missed 6 games. Our TOP 3 ILB's were/are still out, our shutdown CB is out, our SS has been down, add the fact that we have a new DC on top of that a
Oh and we've faced both Mannings, RG3, Brady,Schaub,Rivers,Dalton, and Romo this year. Pretty much a murderers row of opposing QB's..yet somehow we've managed to finish in the middle of the pack.
Early in the season, we were what 28th? This defense has actually gotten better later in the season..now we get.some key players back..we could be playing at a top 10 level once the playoffs start..
Now we just have to hope that the Offense we saw againt NYG is the same Offense we'll.see from here out

Amen.

#7 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Can not follow rules

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

They were 28th a month ago! Much Improvement! And Ray Lewis should be returning fir the playoffs, so BAL might be able to pull off a NYG 2011! :ravensquote:
<p><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);"><span style="font-size:24px;">Banned</span></span>.</p>

#8 callahan09

callahan09

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

While the run defense finished strong against Cincinnati (47 yards on 21 carries for only 2.24 yards per carry), they couldn't quite bring the season total down to below 4 yards per carry allowed.

We finished the season allowing 4.00 yards per carry. I was curious if we really did beat 4 yards per carry allowed but it got rounded up, and the answer is no... we allowed 1965 yards on 491 carries for 4.002~ yards per carry ... Had they ran off just one more running play and we held them to 2 yards or fewer, it would have been another season of allowing fewer than 4 yards per carry (though it may have rounded up ... 1967 yards on 492 carries comes out to 3.998~ yards per carry. So close!

First season in Ravens history allowing 4+ yards per carry. The streak comes to an end at 16 seasons.

#9 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

Patrick Gleason@PMGleason
Over the final 6 games of the season (since Week 12), the #Ravens defense allowed the NFL’s 4th-fewest yards per game (299.0)

This is a nice stat.

True. I'd prefer to know how the D is doing now as opposed to how the season went.

#10 EricH

EricH

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

Well just from watching the games I can see we have gotten better.
Had Joe not thrown that pick going into the half during the Bronco's game...that game could have turned out differently.
Our D played their hearts out that game as several others in the past couple weeks.

I want to see Ray run out of that tunnel Sunday. Yet I want to see Ellerbe making the hits! ;)

#11 Dfence4champs2052

Dfence4champs2052

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

At least we cracked the top 20. I thought for sure we'd be cellar dwellers at certain points. Our defense has hung together despite the bandaids and chewing gum. This game is touted as the healthiest we can get so we'll see what the dividends bring.

<p>2ilg2yr.jpg
SIG COURTESY OF BALTIMOREFLACCO!

#12 Juviebest

Juviebest

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

I think we miss what Ryan McBean would've helped bring...along the lines of Redding. Wonder if we will re-sign him.

#13 Guest_Mr. Nobody_*

Guest_Mr. Nobody_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

I do think with McBean back... Sizzle and Webb healthy... Ellerbe signed to a contract... one year experience on Upshaw, starting experience for Bynes... all these will help us coming back strong BUT
I don't think Ed is coming back to be a Raven, sadly... Kruger gets signed for money we don't have... Ray just said he is retiring SO
I believe we'll draft massively on the D side of the ball... couple of LBs... a safety... at least one more tackle or end... another corner (Cory's gone)... so that'll be at least 6 of the 11 pick we might have (7+4 comps)

ps the possibility of signing a big name in defence might increase if we get Joe signed, with Ray's and Ed's cap going, some more re-structures in offense (like JJ and Boldin). i mean we are the Ravens, we play D and score points just to win the games lol

Edited by horus13corvineus, 02 January 2013 - 04:16 PM.

#14 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

That McCado guy was showing promise as well,

But our defense hasn't been and wont be healthy this season. But they have shown enough to get the job done. And the defense has played well ever since the bye week. took care of business against CLE, OAK and was extremely phyiscal at PIT. Shut down SD, laid two and a half eggs against PIT, WAS, and DEN. then played nicely against NYG and Cin.

z66oxxi.jpg

#15 t45

t45

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

Lack of effort will get you around 17 for sure. Plenty of dollars and talent though. Show me different on Sunday please.

#16 jdynamite

jdynamite

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,967 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

It was obvious that the defense did improve as the season went along. Injuries or "chance" is what prevented the defense from gelling into a top defense. Thinking about it when Suggs returned and Pees moved to the booth the defense began to show drastic improvements, Suggs' return allowed for Kruger to become a more of a passer rusher which he excelled at. So if Suggs could have returned with a healthy R.Lewis and L.Webb, I think Pees would have had a nice defense then.

Ironic enough when the defense began to play strong force multiple 3 and outs each game the offense was doing its own 3 and out , not getting any first downs for long stretches at a time until the defense tired out

#17 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

I don't know where these numbers rank, but I think they definitely show the improvement and growth of the defense.

Over the last 8 games of the season, the Ravens allowed 20% 3rd down conversion. They have allowed only 3 teams to pass for 250 yards or more. None of those teams were QBed by a Manning. They also have recorded 25 sacks during this time. Over the first 8 games they only had 12, so that's a definite improvement.

They also did a much better job against RG3 then most. Yes the numbers don't look good, but after the defense got a hold of what that offense was doing, they played great. After the first 2 drives, where they gave up 14 points, they shut that offense down until they ill fated last drive. In between the only time the Skins could score was by the offense turning the ball over.

Other then the back to back 30 point games against Den and Wash, the defense is barely giving up 20 points per game. I really like the way the defense is heading. The DB play has really improved, getting Jimmy back healthy will be huge. However Brown and Graham have really stepped up.

I may be over stating, but i see a lot of Webb in Brown. That #23 lots a lot like webb on the field, he's so smooth and athletic, but he's also not afraid to play physically, despite his size. He also can play inside or out, and much like Webb, i think he could be a option at FS.

A lot of people think their needs to be major change or upgrades with this defense, i think they need to stay the course, even with Pees. I think a dominate 5 Tech, and possibility a veteran FS if Ed leaves. Also another NT to rotate with TC, but other then that, i'd have no problem going into 2013, with the youth we have and getting injured guys 100%.

mj5v69.jpg

#18 BMORE_96

BMORE_96

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

Guys, if the fo was smart, which they are, they would realize that suggs may not be the same as a pash rusher because of his achilles tendon, a fear many of us had last year. Due to this, our priorites in fa should be kruger and ellerbe because who is going to rush the passer on the edges and take ray's mantle as the top ilb. Plus, we will have so much cap flexibility, despite the dead money, because im predicting we dont resign ed, cut boldin(release bobbie williams and mckinnie and birk. This will free up almost 20 mil in cap space(plus ray lewis), probably am a bit off. We should be able to resign both.

Now, I predict after we retain kruger, ellerbe, and even author jones, our rfas, we will make a bid to brandan albert to come to the ravens and at least be competitive in swaying him.

#19 bauer77

bauer77

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

This is kind of off-topic, but i can't wait to see what they say next year about our defense now that Ray (and probably Ed) are gone. Cause they always considered us old, but those guys are the only "old" guys on defense. I guess now we will probably be considered "too young" lol.

nb4yyq.jpg
If tomorrow wasn't promised, what would you give for today? - Ray Lewis
Twitter

#20 BMORE_96

BMORE_96

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

Now we will need a new nt in the dline provided kemo is gone and cody does not suddenly improve. Probably sign a coverage linebacker. draft some late round corner to replace cary and draft at pash rusher.

This is all assuming our injured like webb and suggs come back at a pro bowl level.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users