Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Mr. Nobody

17th ranked D in the league

74 posts in this topic

I'm sorry but couldn't find any thread to cover this after the season ended thus created this.
We should pause a little bit from all these Joe - no-Joe - I want Tyrod discussions and look at where we developed a problem this year. I know we missed a lot of our starters for a good part of the regular season, but I still find that the D underperformed. Are we going to cover the gaps in the next draft? I really don't know. So let's see all the avenue this discussion could take us...

They were also 12th in points. Considering all the injuries during a season with a new defensive coordinator I think we can except our defense to be at least top 10 next year. Granted hearing that Ed won't be back worries me because we really don't have someone to replace him.

Like raybaby said: injuries, new DC, and some starters that didn't perform as well as we are used to (Kemoatu vs Redding) (2012 Cary vs 2011 Cary).

I don't think Pees is a bad coordinator, a little passive at times, but we got thumped hard by injuries. 17th, while not as good as we want, is a vast improvement from what we were at the beginning of the year.

[url="https://twitter.com/PMGleason"][b]Patrick Gleason[/b] ‏[s]@[/s][b]PMGleason[/b] [/url]
Over the final 6 games of the season (since Week 12), the [url="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Ravens&src=hash"][s]#[/s][b]Ravens[/b][/url] defense allowed the NFL’s 4th-fewest yards per game (299.0)

This is a nice stat.

I agree with the sentiment here. The defense has definitely tightened up pretty much since the SD game. The offense disappearing IMO in a few games lead to added pressure on the D which was banged up already.
Just think about it..
Our best Dlineman and OLB who are IMO the best in the league at their positions havent been 100lercent all year..Suggs missed 6 games. Our TOP 3 ILB's were/are still out, our shutdown CB is out, our SS has been down, add the fact that we have a new DC on top of that a
Oh and we've faced both Mannings, RG3, Brady,Schaub,Rivers,Dalton, and Romo this year. Pretty much a murderers row of opposing QB's..yet somehow we've managed to finish in the middle of the pack.
Early in the season, we were what 28th? This defense has actually gotten better later in the season..now we get.some key players back..we could be playing at a top 10 level once the playoffs start..
Now we just have to hope that the Offense we saw againt NYG is the same Offense we'll.see from here out

[quote name='JEEPercreepermd' timestamp='1357141787' post='1286591']
I agree with the sentiment here. The defense has definitely tightened up pretty much since the SD game. The offense disappearing IMO in a few games lead to added pressure on the D which was banged up already.
Just think about it..
Our best Dlineman and OLB who are IMO the best in the league at their positions havent been 100lercent all year..Suggs missed 6 games. Our TOP 3 ILB's were/are still out, our shutdown CB is out, our SS has been down, add the fact that we have a new DC on top of that a
Oh and we've faced both Mannings, RG3, Brady,Schaub,Rivers,Dalton, and Romo this year. Pretty much a murderers row of opposing QB's..yet somehow we've managed to finish in the middle of the pack.
Early in the season, we were what 28th? This defense has actually gotten better later in the season..now we get.some key players back..we could be playing at a top 10 level once the playoffs start..
Now we just have to hope that the Offense we saw againt NYG is the same Offense we'll.see from here out
[/quote]

Amen.

They were 28th a month ago! Much Improvement! And Ray Lewis should be returning fir the playoffs, so BAL might be able to pull off a NYG 2011! :ravensquote:

While the run defense finished strong against Cincinnati (47 yards on 21 carries for only 2.24 yards per carry), they couldn't quite bring the season total down to below 4 yards per carry allowed.

We finished the season allowing 4.00 yards per carry. I was curious if we really did beat 4 yards per carry allowed but it got rounded up, and the answer is no... we allowed 1965 yards on 491 carries for 4.002~ yards per carry ... Had they ran off just one more running play and we held them to 2 yards or fewer, it would have been another season of allowing fewer than 4 yards per carry (though it may have rounded up ... 1967 yards on 492 carries comes out to 3.998~ yards per carry. So close!

First season in Ravens history allowing 4+ yards per carry. The streak comes to an end at 16 seasons.

[quote name='raybaby' timestamp='1357141338' post='1286586']
[url="https://twitter.com/PMGleason"][b]Patrick Gleason[/b] ‏[s]@[/s][b]PMGleason[/b][/url]
Over the final 6 games of the season (since Week 12), the [url="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Ravens&src=hash"][s]#[/s][b]Ravens[/b][/url] defense allowed the NFL’s 4th-fewest yards per game (299.0)

This is a nice stat.
[/quote]

True. I'd prefer to know how the D is doing now as opposed to how the season went.

Well just from watching the games I can see we have gotten better.
Had Joe not thrown that pick going into the half during the Bronco's game...that game could have turned out differently.
Our D played their hearts out that game as several others in the past couple weeks.

I want to see Ray run out of that tunnel Sunday. Yet I want to see Ellerbe making the hits! ;)

At least we cracked the top 20. I thought for sure we'd be cellar dwellers at certain points. Our defense has hung together despite the bandaids and chewing gum. This game is touted as the healthiest we can get so we'll see what the dividends bring.

I think we miss what Ryan McBean would've helped bring...along the lines of Redding. Wonder if we will re-sign him.

I do think with McBean back... Sizzle and Webb healthy... Ellerbe signed to a contract... one year experience on Upshaw, starting experience for Bynes... all these will help us coming back strong BUT
I don't think Ed is coming back to be a Raven, sadly... Kruger gets signed for money we don't have... Ray just said he is retiring SO
I believe we'll draft massively on the D side of the ball... couple of LBs... a safety... at least one more tackle or end... another corner (Cory's gone)... so that'll be at least 6 of the 11 pick we might have (7+4 comps)

ps the possibility of signing a big name in defence might increase if we get Joe signed, with Ray's and Ed's cap going, some more re-structures in offense (like JJ and Boldin). i mean we are the Ravens, we play D and score points just to win the games lol

That McCado guy was showing promise as well,

But our defense hasn't been and wont be healthy this season. But they have shown enough to get the job done. And the defense has played well ever since the bye week. took care of business against CLE, OAK and was extremely phyiscal at PIT. Shut down SD, laid two and a half eggs against PIT, WAS, and DEN. then played nicely against NYG and Cin.

Lack of effort will get you around 17 for sure. Plenty of dollars and talent though. Show me different on Sunday please.

It was obvious that the defense did improve as the season went along. Injuries or "chance" is what prevented the defense from gelling into a top defense. Thinking about it when Suggs returned and Pees moved to the booth the defense began to show drastic improvements, Suggs' return allowed for Kruger to become a more of a passer rusher which he excelled at. So if Suggs could have returned with a healthy R.Lewis and L.Webb, I think Pees would have had a nice defense then.

Ironic enough when the defense began to play strong force multiple 3 and outs each game the offense was doing its own 3 and out , not getting any first downs for long stretches at a time until the defense tired out

I don't know where these numbers rank, but I think they definitely show the improvement and growth of the defense.

Over the last 8 games of the season, the Ravens allowed 20% 3rd down conversion. They have allowed only 3 teams to pass for 250 yards or more. None of those teams were QBed by a Manning. They also have recorded 25 sacks during this time. Over the first 8 games they only had 12, so that's a definite improvement.

They also did a much better job against RG3 then most. Yes the numbers don't look good, but after the defense got a hold of what that offense was doing, they played great. After the first 2 drives, where they gave up 14 points, they shut that offense down until they ill fated last drive. In between the only time the Skins could score was by the offense turning the ball over.

Other then the back to back 30 point games against Den and Wash, the defense is barely giving up 20 points per game. I really like the way the defense is heading. The DB play has really improved, getting Jimmy back healthy will be huge. However Brown and Graham have really stepped up.

I may be over stating, but i see a lot of Webb in Brown. That #23 lots a lot like webb on the field, he's so smooth and athletic, but he's also not afraid to play physically, despite his size. He also can play inside or out, and much like Webb, i think he could be a option at FS.

A lot of people think their needs to be major change or upgrades with this defense, i think they need to stay the course, even with Pees. I think a dominate 5 Tech, and possibility a veteran FS if Ed leaves. Also another NT to rotate with TC, but other then that, i'd have no problem going into 2013, with the youth we have and getting injured guys 100%.

Guys, if the fo was smart, which they are, they would realize that suggs may not be the same as a pash rusher because of his achilles tendon, a fear many of us had last year. Due to this, our priorites in fa should be kruger and ellerbe because who is going to rush the passer on the edges and take ray's mantle as the top ilb. Plus, we will have so much cap flexibility, despite the dead money, because im predicting we dont resign ed, cut boldin(release bobbie williams and mckinnie and birk. This will free up almost 20 mil in cap space(plus ray lewis), probably am a bit off. We should be able to resign both.

Now, I predict after we retain kruger, ellerbe, and even author jones, our rfas, we will make a bid to brandan albert to come to the ravens and at least be competitive in swaying him.

This is kind of off-topic, but i can't wait to see what they say next year about our defense now that Ray (and probably Ed) are gone. Cause they always considered us old, but those guys are the only "old" guys on defense. I guess now we will probably be considered "too young" lol.

Now we will need a new nt in the dline provided kemo is gone and cody does not suddenly improve. Probably sign a coverage linebacker. draft some late round corner to replace cary and draft at pash rusher.

This is all assuming our injured like webb and suggs come back at a pro bowl level.

[quote name='BMORE_96' timestamp='1357251846' post='1288428']
Guys, if the fo was smart, which they are, they would realize that suggs may not be the same as a pash rusher because of his achilles tendon, a fear many of us had last year. Due to this, our priorites in fa should be kruger and ellerbe because who is going to rush the passer on the edges and take ray's mantle as the top ilb. Plus, we will have so much cap flexibility, despite the dead money, because im predicting we dont resign ed, cut boldin(release bobbie williams and mckinnie and birk. This will free up almost 20 mil in cap space(plus ray lewis), probably am a bit off. We should be able to resign both.

Now, I predict after we retain kruger, ellerbe, and even author jones, our rfas, we will make a bid to brandan albert to come to the ravens and at least be competitive in swaying him.
[/quote]

You're a little off lol. Boldin is due 6M, Ray frees up 4.35M, McKinnie is a FA, so we wouldn't get anything from him, Birk would save us 2.05M, and Bobbie Williams would save us 1.2M. So thats about 13.6M.

[quote name='bauer77' timestamp='1357252500' post='1288440']
You're a little off lol. Boldin is due 6M, Ray frees up 4.35M, McKinnie is a FA, so we wouldn't get anything from him, Birk would save us 2.05M, and Bobbie Williams would save us 1.2M. So thats about 13.6M.
[/quote]What about ed leaving and did you account for salary bonus and such that still count against the cap in future years,

[quote name='Juviebest' timestamp='1357160739' post='1287242']
I think we miss what Ryan McBean would've helped bring...along the lines of Redding. Wonder if we will re-sign him.
[/quote]
Agreed, coming into the season I was excited to have him, we definitely missed him this year.

[quote name='t45' timestamp='1357253605' post='1288458']
May be off topic but Matt Birk should have been gone.
[/quote]
Very off topic lol

[quote name='BMORE_96' timestamp='1357253903' post='1288468']
What about ed leaving and did you account for salary bonus and such that still count against the cap in future years,
[/quote]

Ed's going to be a FA as well, and yes, those numbers were the pre June 1st release savings.

[quote name='Ravens<3' timestamp='1357254401' post='1288476']
Very off topic lol
[/quote]

The post prior to mine mentioned him.

[quote name='JEEPercreepermd' timestamp='1357141787' post='1286591']
Just think about it..
[b]Now we just have to hope that the Offense we saw againt NYG is the same Offense we'll.see from here out[/b]
[/quote]

I agree! The Defense has gotten better over time and have corrected many of it's earlier mistakes. If the Ravens had fired Cam sooner I am confident the offense would have fully corrected itself. Now we can only hope they can put together a few good games with little to no time left for adjustments.

[quote name='Ravensfan23' timestamp='1357240857' post='1288293']
I don't know where these numbers rank, but I think they definitely show the improvement and growth of the defense.

Over the last 8 games of the season, the Ravens allowed 20% 3rd down conversion. They have allowed only 3 teams to pass for 250 yards or more. None of those teams were QBed by a Manning. They also have recorded 25 sacks during this time. Over the first 8 games they only had 12, so that's a definite improvement.

They also did a much better job against RG3 then most. Yes the numbers don't look good, but after the defense got a hold of what that offense was doing, they played great. After the first 2 drives, where they gave up 14 points, they shut that offense down until they ill fated last drive. In between the only time the Skins could score was by the offense turning the ball over.

Other then the back to back 30 point games against Den and Wash, the defense is barely giving up 20 points per game. I really like the way the defense is heading. The DB play has really improved, getting Jimmy back healthy will be huge. However Brown and Graham have really stepped up.

I may be over stating, but i see a lot of Webb in Brown. That #23 lots a lot like webb on the field, he's so smooth and athletic, but he's also not afraid to play physically, despite his size. He also can play inside or out, and much like Webb, i think he could be a option at FS.

A lot of people think their needs to be major change or upgrades with this defense, i think they need to stay the course, even with Pees. I think a dominate 5 Tech, and possibility a veteran FS if Ed leaves. Also another NT to rotate with TC, but other then that, i'd have no problem going into 2013, with the youth we have and getting injured guys 100%.
[/quote]

I agree with your post especially the "stay the course statement" As for a veteran FS, I hope Reed stays one more year and the Ravens develop one in-house or daft a special one this.

That is what happens when you take your [b]best [/b]cornerback away and your [b]best [/b]pass rusher.

[quote name='baltravens' timestamp='1357314204' post='1289164']
That is what happens when you take your [b]best [/b]cornerback away and your [b]best [/b]pass rusher.
[/quote]

true... but the next man up mantra should've kicked in as they say... here's hope we'll be the 1st ranked D in the playoffs

I like the improvement of our defense. I think most fans expected a decline with the coordinator turnover and loss of guys like Redding, JJ, and Suggs.

Then losing Ray and Webb made it more difficult.

I am impressed and kudos for the defense. It is how you finish in this game, not how you start. Can't wait for Sunday to see how we handle Luck!

[quote name='HoldingCall' timestamp='1357303175' post='1289079']

I agree with your post especially the "stay the course statement" As for a veteran FS, I hope Reed stays one more year and the Ravens.develop one in-house or daft a special one this.
[/quote]

I think the Ravens are looking at Thompson as that in house option, but maybe with the depth at CB a Jackson can be moved, i really like Omar too.

However, i think the reality of Ed not being here next year is getting more real by the day. I'd love Ed back, but I can't see it being on a 1 year deal. At this point in his career and with the transition to youth the Ravens have made and will continue to make, I can't see Ed getting big money. I think like 3yr 18M or something.

What i'm thinking is if the Ravens do loss Ed Reed, maybe they can swing a trade with the Cardinals for a vet like Kerry Rhodes. He's a guy that has like 1 year remaining on his current deal and the Cardinals may be a team in transition. Rhodes may also be looking for a opportunity to win and the Cards don't seem headed in that direction.

Maybe you trade for a guy like that who's 30, extend his contract for 2-3 and groom someone in house or a draft pick. I think its some good safeties in the draft.

[quote name='horus13corvineus' timestamp='1357314581' post='1289168']

true... but the next man up mantra should've kicked in as they say... here's hope we'll be the 1st ranked D in the playoffs
[/quote]

The Next Man Up mantra did kick in....and they he got hurt. Which is why guys like Chris Johnson, Chekie Brown and Josh Bynes were forced into action.

I really don't know what many fans expected with all the injuries and youth.

[quote name='Ravensfan23' timestamp='1357320466' post='1289271']
The Next Man Up mantra did kick in....and they he got hurt. Which is why guys like Chris Johnson, Chekie Brown and Josh Bynes were forced into action.

I really don't know what many fans expected with all the injuries and youth.
[/quote]

many fans, like myself then... expected that Oz would go and get somebody to help while Sizzle out... coaches to make sure youngsters would give us same value as we had from JJ and Redding... injuries do happen but a good depth on the roster should provide cover for that... so in one phrase we expected Ravens D to be top 5 like in previous years (when we also had injury problems)

we always thought Ravens will have a great D... so that might've done us this year... a bit too much emphasis on the offense side of the ball and a bit too much confidence on the younger roster on defense

[quote name='Ravensfan23' timestamp='1357240857' post='1288293']

[/quote]

Good post. I love Chykie Brown. I would like to see a dominant 5 tech, but I think Jones is heading in that direction. Maybe not dominant, but better than Redding.

Cody needs to do better! Simply put.

[quote name='horus13corvineus' timestamp='1357322545' post='1289316']

many fans, like myself then... expected that Oz would go and get somebody to help while Sizzle out... coaches to make sure youngsters would give us same value as we had from JJ and Redding... injuries do happen but a good depth on the roster should provide cover for that... so in one phrase we expected Ravens D to be top 5 like in previous years (when we also had injury problems)
[/quote]

No disrespect to you or any fan that thought that way, but that's foolish.

There is a reason why you build a "team" and there is a reason why teams like the Ravens, Pats, and even Steelers are consistently good. For the most part they build through the draft. The Ravens have really good youthful talent on this team. You say go out and get help cause Sizzle is hurt. WHO?

In order to get someone, there has to be someone available to get. You can't just spend big money on a big named FA, just because you have a injury. Every team that looks to build a team with big money stars, fail.

If its not a big name FA, i'd have to be a trade. In order to trade, you have to give up something of value, either a draft pick or young talent. If you are trading because of injury, the other team knows it and thus has the leverage. This is not like MLB, where you can trade unproven commodities for big name guys. The closest you get to that is trading draft picks. However when you value draft picks as much as the Ravens, and you trust your coaches to develop guys like Webb and Pitta, are you really willing to give up a 4th round pick for a rental player? Remember Lee Evans was a rental player....i'd rather have the 4th round pick back.

Next you said develop young players. First you have to understand that, it's a given that the 3rd and 4th string players aren't as good as your starters. If that were the case, they'd be starting or at least seeing major playing time. When you have a very veteran team, you can allow the younger players to develop slow, much like having AD allowed JJ to develop slow.

However when the team is youg, and the vets get hurt, the young guys have to develop on the fly. It's crazy to me for people to think that Ed Reed and Cary Williams to be the only defensive players to start every game and people expected this defense to still be top 5-10.

If someone told you that chekie brown would be one of the top guys in the secondary this year, you'd probably think the Ravens are in trouble. By Webb's claim the Ravens went from Best secondary in the NFL, to most no name secondary in the NFL. These young guys have fought their butts off and the coaches have done a fantastic job with them. Do diminish that, simply because they couldn't hold up the tradition of keeping this defense top 10 is unfair to me.

[quote name='horus13corvineus' timestamp='1357322545' post='1289316']
[/quote]

Wow. What a ridiculous post. You expected Ozzie to go out and get another Defensive Player of the Year right before the season started? You expected him to just pluck a JJ or a Cory Redding out of thin air? Good depth DID provide cover but if you were expecting a top five defense with injuries galore, I think you're taking the, 'Wizard of Oz,' nickname too literally. Gimme a break. We have never been down to fourth and fifth string starters at cornerback, second and third string (and special teams!!) players filling in at linebacker and safety and fielded a top five defense. In fact, no team has. It doesn't happen in the NFL. Period.

[quote name='horus13corvineus' timestamp='1357324866' post='1289356']
we always thought Ravens will have a great D... so that might've done us this year... a bit too much emphasis on the offense side of the ball and a bit too much confidence on the younger roster on defense
[/quote]

The Ravens are the 17th ranked defense right now. Obviously they started slow and took some time to adjust to Dean Pees' system. However you look at the way this defense has improved over the last 8 games of the season, i ask you this question.

If the Ravens never had injuries to Ray, Webb, Jimmy, Pollard, Ngata, Cody, McBean, McClain, Ellerbe and other, how strong do you think the defense would be right now?

[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1357325378' post='1289363']

Good post. I love Chykie Brown. I would like to see a dominant 5 tech, but I think Jones is heading in that direction. Maybe not dominant, but better than Redding.

Cody needs to do better! Simply put.
[/quote]

Yea, Chykie plays so smooth and you can see his confidence grow with every play. I also love how ticked he gets when he gives up a play. It's like he knows and expects to be better then that. The more he plays, the more expandable Cary becomes.

I think you might be right with Jones. I really like Art and other then a JJ Watt type, he's just the guy you want at the 5 Tech. A guy who just does the dirty work and never really gets noticed, but he also does his job well enough to beat 1on1 blocks and get 5.5 sacks a year.

But the thoughts of having another 5 Tech for a rotation is ideal for me. I'd much rather Mcphee loss weight and go back to being a pass rush specialist. Much like Kurger, he could be a great role player and it's nothing wrong with that.

I'm willing to stick by TC. I feel he's been getting better and better as the season wares on. He showed a drive to get after the QB last week against the Bengals, so if that's something he can develop, great. I still want another NT to rotate with him. I think Pees struck gold with rotation the front 7 and should stick with it.

The Giants defensive unit was in a siimilar slump coming into the end of the season, but they put on the afterburners down the stretch to end the season on a run. With all their big players back from injuries, they coasted their way to a Super Bowl win, including a road defensive shutout of the Falcons!

[quote name='Ravensfan23' timestamp='1357329938' post='1289450']
Yea, Chykie plays so smooth and you can see his confidence grow with every play. I also love how ticked he gets when he gives up a play. It's like he knows and expects to be better then that. The more he plays, the more expandable Cary becomes.

I think you might be right with Jones. I really like Art and other then a JJ Watt type, he's just the guy you want at the 5 Tech. A guy who just does the dirty work and never really gets noticed, but he also does his job well enough to beat 1on1 blocks and get 5.5 sacks a year.

But the thoughts of having another 5 Tech for a rotation is ideal for me. I'd much rather Mcphee loss weight and go back to being a pass rush specialist. Much like Kurger, he could be a great role player and it's nothing wrong with that.

I'm willing to stick by TC. I feel he's been getting better and better as the season wares on. He showed a drive to get after the QB last week against the Bengals, so if that's something he can develop, great. I still want another NT to rotate with him. I think Pees struck gold with rotation the front 7 and should stick with it.
[/quote]

I love Chykie. Webb and Reed said in the off season and in camp that he was going to be the biggest surprise this year, and he definitely has been. Physical, fast, fluid, reliable tackler. He's everything I want in a corner. Imagine him and Webb together. If Jimmy ever improves, which I think he will, our secondary really will be pretty damn good.

I would like another 5 tech, but I think Tyson and Hall can add more to the rotation. Just think if Ngata, Jones, McPhee, Hall, and Tyson all rotated in and out. McPhee and Hall could be our third down guys. Ngata, Jones, and Tyson can be run down guys. Really, Jones and Ngata have shown that they can be third down guys too. We just need the 5 tech's we have to develop. I like what I see from them.

[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1357330775' post='1289478']

I love Chykie. Webb and Reed said in the off season and in camp that he was going to be the biggest surprise this year, and he definitely has been. Physical, fast, fluid, reliable tackler. He's everything I want in a corner. Imagine him and Webb together. If Jimmy ever improves, which I think he will, our secondary really will be pretty damn good.

I would like another 5 tech, but I think Tyson and Hall can add more to the rotation. Just think if Ngata, Jones, McPhee, Hall, and Tyson all rotated in and out. McPhee and Hall could be our third down guys. Ngata, Jones, and Tyson can be run down guys. Really, Jones and Ngata have shown that they can be third down guys too. We just need the 5 tech's we have to develop. I like what I see from them.
[/quote]

The best thing about Brown and Webb together is that both can play inside or outside. So either guy can play the slot and once Jimmy puts it all together, you can allow Webb to blitz more. He does that very well and i think QBs have been lucky this year, not to see BP and Webb blitzing.

I want Ngata on the field on 3rd downs, if for no other reason then he commands a lot of attention. I really like Hall, a bit undersized but explosive. Think they need to give him more opportunities.

I'm looking at a guy like Margus Hunt from SMU. I know he'll probably shoot up the draft boards because of the whole JJ Watt thing. The guy is like 6'8 290, Ravens probably won't touch him, but I really enjoyed having the tall, strong pass rushing abilities of Trevor Pryce. Trevor was like 6'5" 290 and just kept blockers off him with his long arms.

Also very intrigued by Omar Brown man. That guy had a INT against the Bengals that was just great. He made it look so easy, but him just having the awareness and athletic ability to catch the ball and get his feet inbounds was great. It didn't count, but it did for me.

[quote name='Ravensfan23' timestamp='1357333068' post='1289533']
The best thing about Brown and Webb together is that both can play inside or outside. So either guy can play the slot and once Jimmy puts it all together, you can allow Webb to blitz more. He does that very well and i think QBs have been lucky this year, not to see BP and Webb blitzing.

I want Ngata on the field on 3rd downs, if for no other reason then he commands a lot of attention. I really like Hall, a bit undersized but explosive. Think they need to give him more opportunities.

I'm looking at a guy like Margus Hunt from SMU. I know he'll probably shoot up the draft boards because of the whole JJ Watt thing. The guy is like 6'8 290, Ravens probably won't touch him, but I really enjoyed having the tall, strong pass rushing abilities of Trevor Pryce. Trevor was like 6'5" 290 and just kept blockers off him with his long arms.

Also very intrigued by Omar Brown man. That guy had a INT against the Bengals that was just great. He made it look so easy, but him just having the awareness and athletic ability to catch the ball and get his feet inbounds was great. It didn't count, but it did for me.
[/quote]

I love Omar Brown. I'm surprised no one picked him up off the PS.

[quote name='rlh445' timestamp='1357326605' post='1289374']
Wow. What a ridiculous post. You expected Ozzie to go out and get another Defensive Player of the Year right before the season started? You expected him to just pluck a JJ or a Cory Redding out of thin air? Good depth DID provide cover but if you were expecting a top five defense with injuries galore, I think you're taking the, 'Wizard of Oz,' nickname too literally. Gimme a break. We have never been down to fourth and fifth string starters at cornerback, second and third string (and special teams!!) players filling in at linebacker and safety and fielded a top five defense. In fact, no team has. It doesn't happen in the NFL. Period.
[/quote]

is it ridiculous to ask for cover at a position needed to keep QBs in check and helping your secondary not to cover WRs for a decade? i didn't ask for sizzle 2, just for more experience instead of relying on rookies... i didn't expect Oz to magically pull players out of a hat, but would have rather signed Cory or JJ back than McClain. it is a general manager's job to find players isn't it? cary williams was a starter at CB since week 1 and we didn't have a proper cover for webb when he went down until brown and graham were forced to play... who brought in special teamers if not Harbs? well the special teams played well, why not do same for defense?... how about those packers a couple of years ago, did that happen???

[quote name='Ravensfan23' timestamp='1357327904' post='1289405']
The Ravens are the 17th ranked defense right now. Obviously they started slow and took some time to adjust to Dean Pees' system. However you look at the way this defense has improved over the last 8 games of the season, i ask you this question.

If the Ravens never had injuries to Ray, Webb, Jimmy, Pollard, Ngata, Cody, McBean, McClain, Ellerbe and other, how strong do you think the defense would be right now?
[/quote]

D played well in the last 8 weeks with no Ray, Webb, Pollard (for 3 games), We missed Webb - that's a given, possibly McBean a lot looking at how bad Cody in playing against the run. Ray's play we didn't, Ellerbe's is better than him right now. Pollard costed us some 15 yrds penalties at some crucial times. McClain should have never been a starter, he'll either restructure or get cut this offseason. Who other? all teams had players injured so you can't really go on a IF...
i believe we're just losing ourselves in translation too much, you said it better in the other post you quoted me - it took too much for the players to adapt to Pees' system... why did it take that much? wasn't he here under Pagano, isn't his job to know the players inside out and develop a scheme to fit the roster he's got?
if Ed's gone next year and we're only left with Webb in the secondary, while Sizzle doesn't get any help (losing Kruger counts here as Upshaw isn't very good at creating pressure), we'll be in a very uncomfortable position... so i say it again, Oz needs to search the market and fill the gaps and draft for need this time... and D needs the help... D is Ravens football

[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1357334011' post='1289548']

I love Omar Brown. I'm surprised no one picked him up off the PS.
[/quote]

I'm glad...lets not risk it again. I think it's amazing that the Ravens have so many undrafted talented guys on this team. Usually you only have one or two guys who play as udfa but the Ravens have like 7. Brown, McClain, Ellerbe, Bynes, Hall, LQW, McClellan, and Thompson. So that's 8.

That doesn't even count the 6 and 7 round picks that are providing depth and special teams help. Tyson, Allen, Harewood and Taylor.

Then there's the guys like McAdoo, Hamilton and Streeter who all might have a role next year. People always wanna bash Ozzie because he doesn't draft the most recognizable names, but he and his group is great at what they do.

[quote name='horus13corvineus' timestamp='1357335781' post='1289579']
is it ridiculous to ask for cover at a position needed to keep QBs in check and helping your secondary not to cover WRs for a decade? i didn't ask for sizzle 2, just for more experience instead of relying on rookies... i didn't expect Oz to magically pull players out of a hat, but would have rather signed Cory or JJ back than McClain. it is a general manager's job to find players isn't it? cory was a starter at CB since week 1 and we didn't have a proper cover for webb when he went down until brown and graham were forced to play... who brought in special teamers if not Harbs? well the special teams played well, why not do same for defense?... how about those packers a couple of years ago, did that happen???
[/quote]

Uhhhhh Cory Redding wasn't a cornerback there stud, he was a defensive end. If you're complaining about the cornerback depth, you're also barking up the wrong tree. :lol:

Also, the Packers did it with Aaron Rodgers on fire. Their defense was still horrible, but he made all the throws and his dynamite receiving corps bailed him and the team out. Period, it had nothing to do with their depth on the defensive side of the ball.