Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BMORE_96

Inside Linebacker Play

29 posts in this topic

This is a new revelation that could be a bit too premature. I thought because Ray's declining play and injury that an inside linebacker early in the draft was a must.

Someone like a kevin minter or skov, but now I have faith in Danell and Josh Bynes who have played well in the last two games together. Josh has impressed since Denver in my eyes, and I believe the organization still thinks McClain will come back stronger next year.

Yeah, since Ellerbe's been stepping up I'm tentatively comfortable with McClain and Dannel starting next year if Ray leaves - at least inasmuch as we need so many other things to focus on. If a Manti Teo falls to us then obviously we jump on that, but there doesn't look to be a need to trade up for him anymore.

We need a new stud defensive linemen. That's where it starts. Ellerbe is playing great and McClain is serviceable already. Not getting pushed around up front will make much more of a difference than getting a new linebacker.

Considering how productive Ellerbe is..

Trade away Jamael McClain for 4/5th rounder. He took the money and his performance dipped this year. Now his injured. Thoughts on that?

[quote name='codizzle' timestamp='1357066912' post='1285888']
Jameel isn't going anywhere.. Had an off year..
[/quote]

i hope so..he was a tackling MACHINE last year.

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1357062899' post='1285833']
Just draft Manti Teo!

Simple. I'm a genius.
[/quote]
No chance. Teo is a top ten pick, and there's no way he makes it past the top fifteen.

I am suggesting that perhaps inside linebacker is a position that seems to have worked itself out with the influx of young talent brought by Ozzie.

If anything, I believe we can use a nose tackle that can collapse the pocket and some safety depth provided we do not lose ellerbee in free agency.

We seem to do way better finding undrafted LB than actually drafting them. That said I like this years class and think finding another young athletic ILB would be helpful especially in pass coverage.

[quote name='gabefergy' timestamp='1357070931' post='1285963']
We seem to do way better finding undrafted LB than actually drafting them. That said I like this years class and think finding another young athletic ILB would be helpful especially in pass coverage.
[/quote]

Yeah, I agree. Just not as early as originally thought earlier in the season.

Just draft Manti Teo!

Simple. I'm a genius.
[/quote]

hardly doubt he'll fall on our shoulders :eyes:

[quote name='BMORE_96' timestamp='1357071404' post='1285973']

Yeah, I agree. Just not as early as originally thought earlier in the season.
[/quote]
Hopefully Ellerbe comes back. He is an UFA.

[quote name='gabefergy' timestamp='1357070931' post='1285963']
[/quote]We are a linebacker breeding machine. It doesn't really matter who we bring in they'll be up to speed.

Wide Receiver, Running back, Linebacker, safety, even in some cases corner are all positions you can get later in the draft if you invest in the trenches. A solid offensive line will make a 7th round back look unstoppable and make a QB look sharp (think Tony Romo circa 2007). A solid pass rush will force QBs to make bad decisions.

So my answer is don't go after a linebacker in the first round, build up the trenches!

[b]Simple. I'm a genius.[/b]
[/quote]
It is now 2013, I thought we were going to start the new year right with no delusions.

I think the origination likes all our inside linebackers still, but I think we still draft one.

Trade up a few picks for Alec Ogletree if we're gonna draft one early, I still agree that Mcclain and Ellerbe are here to stay tho

[quote name='BmoreRavens732' timestamp='1357082150' post='1286182']
We need D-lineman more then ilb. Ellerbeast is shining n bynes has really impressed
[/quote]

Who has Bynes impressed? He's not impressing me with his awful coverage and missed tackles.

Ellerbe has played lights out, hope he stays. Ogletree fro UGA has impressed me. Wouldn't be opposed to him in the first.

McClain and Ellerbe will be good, but the position is still a need with Ray and BA nearing the end of their careers and the uncertainty of how McClain will come back from his injury. At the very least we need depth there and should look into drafting a guy.

[quote name='NaveSenrag' timestamp='1357069290' post='1285941']
No chance. Teo is a top ten pick, and there's no way he makes it past the top fifteen.
[/quote]

[quote name='Ravenseconbeast' timestamp='1357073233' post='1286011']
hardly doubt he'll fall on our shoulders :eyes:
[/quote]

I thought I laid the sarcasm on pretty thick there.

[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1357089179' post='1286272']
[b]Who has Bynes impressed? He's not impressing me with his awful coverage and missed tackles.[/b]
[/quote]

This. I think people are confusing a ILB being "younger" with one being "impressive"

People forget in the 1st 2 Games this season that no one complained about the ILB (when Ray was active). The real problem was the terrible DL play the 1st half of the season that would have made it impossible for any LB Group to play well.

As I have mentioned in other threads. Ellerbe has played the best of the ILB group this season but his still a bit inconsistent. Surprisingly, after all the complaints of Ray's coverage I don't see anyone mentioning Ellerbe's at all.

38/53, 369 Yards, 1 TD, 97.1 QB Rating against.

Jameel McClain has had a terrible season. He has a 109.1 QB Rating against him in coverage. He has never been a "tackling machine" as others of stated. He has averaged 3.2 solo tackles per game in his last three seasons as a starter.

Josh Bynes has stepped up to the plate and played when asked but has been far from impressive. He did have his best game vs the Bengals backups but is far from ready to be a full time player. When targeted in coverage, QBs are completing 88.9% if passes (8/9) and have a QB rating of 113.

My point is; don't let a player's youth and sudden defensive line improvement lead you to believe that the ILB (other than Ellerbe at times) are playing well. If Ray is healthy, I will welcome him with open arms this week even at age 37.

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1357107262' post='1286458']
[/quote]
It's pretty common knowledge that we won't get him unless we do some massive trading, so I knew you were joking. :P

Like others have said, I'd rather see us draft D-Line and O-Line first.

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1357107262' post='1286458']
[/quote]
Fair enough. If I'm ever unsure, I assume seriousness.

[quote name='RobFuseRaven' timestamp='1357145826' post='1286642']
It's pretty common knowledge that we won't get him unless we do some massive trading, so I knew you were joking. :P

Like others have said, I'd rather see us draft D-Line and O-Line first.
[/quote]
YES! Drafting D line makes everyone look better!

[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1357089179' post='1286272']
Who has Bynes impressed? He's not impressing me with his awful coverage and missed tackles.
[/quote]
I wouldn't go that far by saying he is awful, I think he plays hard and has a lot of potential.

I think our Undrafted LB Corps will do just fine.

Dannell Ellerbe - We can resign him to a similar amount like Jameel McClain, since the LB market is soft
Jameel McClain - He's the jack of all trades, but the price tag doesn't match his injury-proned season
Josh Bynes - He's stepping and should be cheap to tender again
Nigel Carr - Dark Horse

Looks like we're good at finding gems at LBs, or maybe it's cause Ray Lewis teach and they listen.

I'll say we save our high draft picks to make our O-line.

Trade up for Eric Fisher, Chance Warmack.

Stay put and get Barrett Jones or Jonathan Cooper

Any upgrade to the O-line is good.